Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / NVIDIA Prize Justice!

Author
User Deleted
Posted: 5th May 2007 18:13
When the box arrived containing my 1st prize award from Nvidia and TGC I was over the moon. I couldn't wait to start up my "Complete PC setup".

To my disappointment the box contained the following 3 items:

- Intel Core 2 Duo processor

- Geforce 8800 GTS OC graphics card

- Asus P5NT WS Motherboard

( See the attached picture )

Not the "Complete PC Setup" which was listed on the TGC prize page and the Nvidia Compo page ( http://www.nzone.co.uk/object/nzone_fpsc_contest_eu.html ), The components listed above aren't even the ones listed within Newsletter 51. So where is the Intel Quad Core CPU ?

After sending a series of emails to Rick vanner, requesting answers as to where my prize has gone, it appears there is nothing TGC can do and that Nvidia have indeed delivered the correct prizes.

Although I have been offered compensation in the predicted form of TGC software, I still feel outraged at this injustice.

I can't believe that TGC STILL haven't addressed this issue publicly, and that they would seemingly allow this to be swept under the carpet. How can their be such a lack of communication between the competition host and the prize holders ?

I started working on my game entry as soon as the chequered flag was raised, I worked night and day, organising voice recordings, modelling and testing. I'm gutted, absolutely gutted.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 18:17 Edited at: 5th May 2007 20:08
Irrelevant response.

Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 5th May 2007 18:39
... and you are ?
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 18:40
An idiot, he is an idiot. I feel bad for you, that sucks.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 18:41
What the frack?

I was expecting a fully working Tower as the description didn't mention a monitor; 3 boxes which aren't even the actual prizes takes the piss.

I too am surprised nVidia hasn't done anything about this, surely one of their people read the actual compo announcement and would have been able to rectify any errors. So you're telling me I now need to buy a monitor, Case, PSU, RAM, Sound Card, DVD ROM/RW, HHD(s), Ethernet Card, Speakers etc etc which matching with the specs of those hardware parts would cost around 1k$ extra. It's a joke that you need to pay to actually use your prizes!

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 18:44
Have you tried.. like... contacting nvidia about it? It's not like TGC sent you or sponsored your prizes... Now if nvidia doesnt fix the situation, then I would go running to tgc to complain

And Ben's right! Jimmy, you're an idiot^.^

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 18:46
I fail to see the problem... Your prize on the Newsletter clearly states 3 items.
Quote: "Wins: Intel 680i Mobo, Intel Quad Core CPU, GeForce 8800"

You entered a competition for free and got what looks like a few hundred quids worth of kit.

I dont personally recall seeing a "Complete PC Setup" as a prize - I do recall seeing "cutting edge nvidia hardware".

I cant see from your picture, but is the Core 2 DEFINATELY duo?

[center]
Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 18:50
there should be some legal action you can take i believe, if you can gather evidence of what they claimed the prize should be, and what you actually recieved, it is a total injustice and they are completely in the wrong for doing this

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 18:56
Quote: "I dont personally recall seeing a "Complete PC Setup" as a prize - I do recall seeing "cutting edge nvidia hardware"."

While I don't have the actual compo page due to them allways getting deleted, in the newsletter: http://www.thegamecreators.com/data/newsletter/newsletter_issue_46.html

And to quote:

Quote: "
The Prizes
* 1st: A complete PC system for the US
* 1st: A complete PC system for the ROW
* 2nd: An exclusive new NVIDIA hardware prize
* 3rd: An NVIDIA 7950 GX2 graphics card
* 4th: An NVIDIA 7950 GX2 graphics card
"

Notice "A complete PC system", especially "complete PC" now the definition of Complete "1. having all parts or elements; lacking nothing"

SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 18:57
Hey, if you don't want your prizes, I'll be glad to take them

Quote: "And Ben's right! Jimmy, you're an idiot^.^"

Forgive him Jimmy, for he knows not what he says.

Battle Legacy: Online Third Person Shooter
Look for it on the WIP Board!
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 18:59
2 x Duo = 4!

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 19:03
Quote: "You entered a competition for free and got what looks like a few hundred quids worth of kit."

That's like saying you'll get a new car and you get just the engine and wheels.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 19:08
I feel bad for you,

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 19:10
Quote: " A complete PC system"

Looks like you got ripped.I feel bad for you that you went to all that trouble and had to wait all this time for this to happen.
I would not think that Nvidia would want this kind of bad publicity.
I was under the understanding that the winner got a contract to make their own video game or something like that as well.
So I wonder if any of the prize winners got what they were supposed to.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 19:12
All that matters here, is what the prizes were when the competition actually started. Can anyone give us that?

Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 5th May 2007 19:17 Edited at: 5th May 2007 19:17
Quote: "2 x Duo = 4!"

Not quite.

Attached is a photo of the processor I received.

The following is the description of the prize which is allocated to the winners:

Quote: "Intel Quad Core CPU"

And an Intel Quad Core looks like this:

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/core2quad/index.htm?iid=qc_tl+c2q_badge

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 19:19 Edited at: 5th May 2007 19:32
This page also says "full PC systems": http://nvidia.thegamecreators.com/dbpro.php.

Although this may be more relevant: http://nvidia.thegamecreators.com/fpsc_prizes.php.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 19:24
There ya go, Benji. I'm on the bandwagon now.

Boooo TGC!

BOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 19:30
Ummm...I don't think you can blame TGC as much as you should blame Nvidia.They offered the prizes and I feel it is their responsibility to give the prizes offered.Wetham even said TGC offered to make restitution.The other prize winners will probably have the same reaction.
I think Nvidia has some explaining to do...not just to Wetham and the other prize winner but to all of the forum members.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 19:33
TGC kept the hard drives!

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 19:34
Although, is it Nvidia's fault? How do we know TGC didn't just misquote NV. on what they were offering as prizes?

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 19:54
That sucks, well I hope something is done about it, I'd be pretty annoyed too.

Did The Buddha have a Zen micro?
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 20:16 Edited at: 5th May 2007 20:17
Yep; I remember full PC System being offered (and the possibility of a contract) as well. Regardless of who's fault it is for not delivering the full prize advertised, it is up to both TGC and Nvidia to fix it. Otherwise I can't see that many people putting in that kind of work for another competition here ever again.

Whether or not someone was misrepresenting the final prize is irrelevant, as the info has been up for all to see for awhile.

-Keith

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 20:22
well, geez, this kinda ruins it to enter contests now... if nVidia wont supply the correct prizes, then who knows what we'll get in the next one(if nVidia makes another compo deal)

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 20:49 Edited at: 5th May 2007 20:50
I didn't enter the compo (was busy working on another game) but if I had it would have been for the sole purpose of attempting to win a complete PC. If the prize list had said

Quote: "- Intel Core 2 Duo processor
- Geforce 8800 GTS OC graphics card
- Asus P5NT WS Motherboard"

then I definately wouldn't have bothered.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 21:46
Quote: "then I definately wouldn't have bothered"

Then I feel that you are entering for the wrong reasons, and with the wrong expectations. If it had listed those prizes, it would have still been an excellent competition. The issue isn't the prizes themselves, but the guarantee of a greater prize.

It was probably a misquote, and an unfortunate one at that. I suppose that we'll see in the near future how it turns out. I hope that TGC doesn't have to eat the cost of this, but it is fabulous of them to offer to do so with their software without any problems. While it's certainly not the original deal, it's certainly fair.

Come see the WIP!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 21:51
Quote: "It was probably a misquote, and an unfortunate one at that."

That's one heck of a misquote.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 21:52
I can't see how it would be a misquote when it was up for all to read for so long a period.

I think if Nvidia had agreed to a whole computer as a prize, then they should be the ones to foot the bill; and in a prompt manner.

But we shouldn't speculate; we should wait until TGC returns from the weekend.

-Keith

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 22:39 Edited at: 10th Jan 2008 09:57
I say we burn the house down!

er.. then again, we can wait^.^

Want free hosting? Click the sig, go to hosting link on right nav. Password is "tgc".
Nevets
Years of Service
User Offline
Damn I can't believe Nvidia has done this... Wehtam i feel for you mate, and as Keith above has said it is up to both TGC and Nvidia to get to the bottom of this, and i hope they do too.

Best of Luck

God Bless The Internet
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 23:00
Maybe TGC needed a new server and just sent you the 3 boxes instead!

But you'd think paying out an extra $1k to keep their name in good standing would be worth it to Nvidia.

I'd be curious to know what the other winners received.

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 23:29
I'm wondering, why have none of the other prize winners got this or mentioned it?

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 5th May 2007 23:30
Quote: "It was probably a misquote, and an unfortunate one at that. "

Hey misquote.....

Quote: "Fire-up DarkBASIC Professional (we've a free trial version if you don't own it) and start coding, to be in with a chance to win some great prizes in our biggest programming competition ever. Up for grabs are full PC systems, SLi motherboards and the latest NVIDIA graphics cards.
"

Quote: "We've got a stack of great prizes on offer for this competition. Check out what your game could win:

1st place: A complete PC system + game publishing deal *
2nd place: A complete PC system
3rd place: An exclusive new NVIDIA prize
4th place: An NVIDIA 7950 GX2 graphics card
5th place: An NVIDIA 7950 GX2 graphics card
* Publishing Deal?

"

Did you read these posted above? How many "misquotes" do you think they made? Could this be any plainer?

It is certainly unfortunate though, I'll agree with that. Who is going to enter the next contest when the prize is a "Complete PC System" if the previous owner never got his? You? I wait to see if this gets rectified.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 23:34
Definitely can't be a misquote, look on the nVidia webpage advertising the contest, someone posted a link about, unless both TGC and nVidia made the same misquote, then they need to hire a proof reader.

Did The Buddha have a Zen micro?
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 00:02
Hi, DarkCoder just pointed this thread out to me. I'm sorry to hear of this, I must ask anyone who has not received their prizes in the state they where promised, to submit a support mail via http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?m=contact once it's on the system, I'll definately remember to deal with it. It's impossible for us to keep track of all the postings like this, so please submit problems such as this via the support mail so it's offically on our system. I'll make sure that it's dealt with then!
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 00:05
Quote: "After sending a series of emails to Rick vanner, requesting answers as to where my prize has gone, it appears there is nothing TGC can do and that Nvidia have indeed delivered the correct prizes."

He did email Rick But I'm glad to hear tgc will check it out^.^

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 01:35
Well as someone who's probably entered more TGC competitions than anyone, I can say that even finishing 4th provided the best prizes of any competition yet. I'm perfectly happy, although I can understand why people might have expected a full system.

The actual prize value is pretty damn good, it might be best just to accept it and make the most of the new hardware. The way I see it, placing 4th saved me a fortune on building the PC I need anyway, and got my bro a nice new GFX card for his help with my entry.

Good guy, Good guy, Wan...
Slayer Simon
Years of Service
User Offline
Dude, you got ripped off. Whatever anybody says, I remember "complete PC system and a possible publishing deal."
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 02:15
Hope this gets sorted out. I thought it was very clear that it was a full and complete PC System.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 6th May 2007 02:19
So if you get a job, and you're hired on at 50.00 an hour, and you work your butt off all week, and at the end of the week you get a pay check that amounts to 25.00 an hour, you should just accept it and be happy for what you got, and make the most of it?

That may be all you "can" do, but what kind of an idiot "should" do that?

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 03:28 Edited at: 6th May 2007 03:29
Sweet now that no one else wants to enter the contest's i can enter and win first place by default! YAY!!!!!

"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 03:45
Most jobs require a legal contract, most competitions don't.

Good guy, Good guy, Wan...
Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 04:35
I think you'll find that the rules and terms & conditions form a contract for those entering the competition. Unless the T&C stated that the prizes are subject to change for something of a lesser value without notification, I think Wehtam has a very good case. In fact, the rules stated 'Judges reserve the right to replace specific products or prizes with others of equal or greater value if necessary'.
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 05:43 Edited at: 6th May 2007 05:48
This really stinks. That's like entering a contest to win an inground pool, and when you win they dig a hole in your yard and fill it with water. It's just really sad.

NVidia should deliver the goods. TGC should use all their pull to make that to happen. They should NOT tell you that the prizes are correct. Sorry but that just doesn't cut it, and we can all see it.

Regardless, I really believe that TGC needs to step up here, and take care of their own. We all do a lot to support TGC products, and when something like this happens it wouldn't take all that much for TGC to make things right. TGC has more weight to have NVidia make up for it, however long it takes.

Sorry, but that's the way I see it. And if TGC doesn't step up and make things right, I'm afraid that they will lose more in revenue and confidence than just making up the difference now.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 08:45
Quote: "The actual prize value is pretty damn good, it might be best just to accept it and make the most of the new hardware. The way I see it, placing 4th saved me a fortune on building the PC I need anyway, and got my bro a nice new GFX card for his help with my entry."

But you were told exactly what you were receiving, if the prizes said the first and second place winners only get 3 boxes then I would have no issues here, even if they stated that from the start but it clearly said a complete PC system. Now some people i.e. Me had hoped to get this Complete PC system so I can use it for dev work, getting 3 boxes is just a joke, I don't want to spend 1k$ ish on the specs I expected to receive because I hadn't intended on doing that. Also being offered the rest in TGC products while a nice offer is no way near the same thing, because I currently don't need any software that TGC offers, plus in some cases it doesn't cost them anything to give them to us.

Also I can bet that if you Van-B were promised a Complete PC System by both TGC and nVidia you'd very well expect to get just that. The total prize worth of what we got might be quite good but that's irrelevant as we didn't get what we were promised. Also the TGC page itself even now states you get a Complete PC System so I'd say they've blown the whole prizes are subject to change thing. I agree with zenassem this is very likely an issue with nVidia as I fail to see how anyone at the TGC side could have mistyped Complete PC System for 3 boxes and even then send the wrong products.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 10:13
Maybe the other boxes are stuck in customs.

Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 10:18
Terrorist Power Supplies are always a threat to national security.

pleading and needing and bleeding and breeding and feeding exceeding..where is everybody? trying and lying defying denying crying and dying..where is everybody?
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 11:33
Quote: "Maybe the other boxes are stuck in customs."

I'm guessing they are stuck at Nvidia's place that they use to store this stuff and were never sent.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 11:53
Bloody 'ell! That's rubbish! Well hopefully TGC will sort it for you and bully NVidia into giving you the right prizes. It's really not your responsibility, and while it sounds like it's NVidias fault for not sending you the right kit, it's definitely TGCs responsibility to chase it up.

I'd imagine whoever at NVidia is responsible for the compo prizes probably stuck it on the bottom of the todo list. Then when it finally finished they realised they hadn't pulled their finger out and done anything, so quickly rounded up a few boxes of kit and threw them at the postman. Very very lame.

In your shoes I would be very pissed off aswell and probably would've verbally ransacked several people on the phone and threatened to kill them. Ok, perhaps not, but my blood would be boiling. It actually frustrates me a little just thinking about it now!

Definitely don't settle for the prizes you've got. With the amount of blood sweat and tears that goes into these compos, you deserve to get what you were promised, so keep at em until it's sorted. Let us know how you do.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 14:47
If a pair of companies promise a certain prize for the huge amount of work of a member (which also helps to highlight their product(s)), then they should deliver that prize. The winners should definately not "settle" for less than they were promised. I'm still wondering if anyone was offered a contract for their game idea.

At any rate, hopefully TGC can provide some answers tomorrow; as it looks like it was Nvidia who dropped the ball here.

-Keith

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 10:04:23
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 10:04:23