Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / NaGaCreMo 2010

Author
User Banned
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 21:31 Edited at: 31st Dec 2009 19:47

NaGaCreMo Returns! Sign up now!

Yes everybody, it is nearing time to replicate the event that a forumer by the name of zenassem created last year: interNational Game Creation Month! NaGaCreMo is an event in which game developers make a pledge to create and finish a working program, game or game demo by midnight of January 31st, 2010. The prize is knowing that you were able to put your mind to something and complete a program, or at least a large working chunk of it, which will result in a sense of great accomplishment and satisfaction.

There are a few guidelines...

1-Make your game completely family-friendly, however if you want to make a zombie/apocalypse game then feel free to do so, just exclude excessive amounts of gore and language, drugs and physical-esque things.

2-You can either use your own media or use royalty free media. The choice is entirely up to you!

And most importantly...
3-Have fun!

You must sign up by posting a reply in this thread that includes:

I, __________________________, pledge to finish a working [game\demo\general program] within the first thirty days of 2010.

Those of who want your signature to show the NaGaCreMo banner that Virtual Nomad so generously created, copy and paste the following link into your signature box:

Thanks to BMacZero for making that easier on everybody!

Also, you can use whatever game creation software you like as long as it's from TGC (this only applies if you want to create a WIP thread of your project). This includes FPS Creator, DarkBASIC Classic, DarkBASIC Pro, The 3D Game Maker, LeadWerks, etc,. You can also use XNA and C# if you want, and even C++ or any other programming language (BlitzMax/Blitz 3D, anyone?), but you won't be able to create a WIP thread in these forums about your project, as they're for TGC only products. The choice is entirely up to you!

Well, that's it. I'll be updating this post with a list of people who have pledged to finish a project when people sign up! Keep in mind that anybody here is completely welcome to participate.

Participants thus far:

lil marioman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 21:33
Awww... no media off of free model sites?

"I'll work on my maps for my game... later." Procrastination - It's friggin' awesome.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 21:35
Updated the first post to allow that.

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 21:36 Edited at: 21st Dec 2009 00:02
I, __________________________, pledge to finish a working [game\demo\general program] within the first thirty days of 2010.

Hopefully it'll get me more motivated with this sort of thing. It may be rather simplistic though.

Also I'm not liking this own media idea. I can't do that sort of thing... EDIT: Think the new idea might be better...

Code being displayed or kept to ourselves?

EDITED AGAIN FOR EMBOLDENING PURPOSES

lil marioman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 21:37 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2009 16:49
I, lil marioman, pledge to finish a working [game\demo\general program] within the first thirty days of 2010.

Time to start a countdown to 2010...

@demons breath

Source availability is your choice. Just look at NaGaCreMo 09 Participants. Also, CoffeeCoder edited that 'own media' rule.

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 21:38
We allowed to start bouncing round ideas and suchlike now as long as we don't start coding/making media etc?

lil marioman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 21:39
Yep.
Or at least we should be able to. We officially start on the first on January!

"I'll work on my maps for my game... later." Procrastination - It's friggin' awesome.

YavinB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 21:42
Sounds lame...

If it involves money I'm in. (only if it Benefits me)
YavinB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 21:44
Quote: "The prize is knowing that you were able to put your mind to something and complete a program, or at least a large working chunk of it, which will result in a sense of great accomplishment and satisfaction."

Look at my sig, I would never do this.

If it involves money I'm in. (only if it Benefits me)
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 21:44
Quote: "Sounds lame..."

Why? It's just a bit of fun, it's not like it's a serious competition or something, but it's a reason for people to have a bash at small projects in a limited time-scale and see what each other can do.

YavinB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 21:45 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2009 00:11
Quote: "Why? It's just a bit of fun, it's not like it's a serious competition or something, but it's a reason for people to have a bash at small projects in a limited time-scale and see what each other can do."

EDIT: Ok maybe i'll give it a try. Just maybe.

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 22:24
Quote: "
Sounds lamer...
"

No one is forcing you to participate. Would like help in getting off that high horse you're riding?

Literally nobody who isn't a retard is talking about 2012. -Drew Cameron
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 23:51
Count me in!

Your mother has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 00:07 Edited at: 21st Dec 2009 00:07
will this work?

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA
AMD Phenom™ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit

Attachments

Login to view attachments
lil marioman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 00:08
Looks good to me, but I think the official nod of approval from the OP is required before it is official.

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 00:18
Tain't really national though - it's just called that because of NaNoWriMo I think... Hence the interNational bit in CC's post.

Apart from that though VN your sig looks pretty good. I like my last.fm one though so I don't know if I'd change it...

Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 00:37 Edited at: 21st Dec 2009 00:37
I, Outscape, pledge to finish a working [game\demo\general program] within the first thirty days of 2010.

yeah right.
heck who am i kidding??

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 00:44 Edited at: 21st Dec 2009 00:47
Quote: "Quote: "Why? It's just a bit of fun, it's not like it's a serious competition or something, but it's a reason for people to have a bash at small projects in a limited time-scale and see what each other can do."

Sounds lamer..."

Doesn't seem like a good attitude to me. It's a challenge. So it's something you enter for your own development. NaGaCreMo is imitating NaNoWriMo, which is the challenge to write a 50,000 word novel in a month. I did that last year. What did I get out of it? Sleepless night and a complete first draft novel...it needs a lot of editing mind you.

What will NaGaCreMo get you? A finished game project. These sort of things are meant as personal challenges. Not lame...not in the least. But it's entirely up to you, if you're here for monetary gain, then that's up to you, but there's plenty of competitions out there geared towards cash prizes.

I am contemplating on the idea...but probably won't do it, I have a lot to work on...maybe NaGaCreMo 2011, after all I've got another personal project I'm working on (not game creation, sadly). If I can get something out that's quick and easy, then I might.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 00:53 Edited at: 21st Dec 2009 00:56
adjusted the "participant" gradient a bit; looked grey :/

ah, apparently i shrunk it some, too
i have the bigger version but gonna leave it alone for now.

Attachments

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 01:34
Excellent job, Virtual Nomad! If you can adjust it so that it starts with "interNational" that'd be great, but I like it just how it is.

@YavinB:

Please don't bog this down with "sounds lame...". You don't have to participate, and nobody is forcing you to. This is just a fun thing to do in order to motivate programmers and to kick off the new year. If you don't want to participate, then please take your posts elsewhere.

@demons breath:
You can discuss your ideas if you so desire, but whether or not you want to share your code is entirely up to you.

And now I shall edit the first post with users who have signed up, and also to update a guideline or two to clear up a couple of potential misunderstandings. Please check back soon!

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 01:37 Edited at: 21st Dec 2009 01:41
I,General Jackson, pledge to finish a working game within the first thirty days of 2010.

It will be an airplane flying game set in ww2.

I will do it in DBPro.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 01:40 Edited at: 21st Dec 2009 01:48
Excellent! Thanks for signing up! I like your idea GJ, it sounds fun.

@Outscape:

Do you want to be included in the names list? I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not in your post.

@Everyone:

Please be sure to list your idea for your game if/when you sign up, and a placeholder title.

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 02:07
I'm thinking cartoon-y racing game. No idea for a name or anything yet, but if you're listing basic ideas that's about as far as I've got so far. Got a few ideas for cool directions it could go, but I'm graphically pretty useless and I don't know how long things like figuring out how to program half-way decent AI etc. will take me... I've started thinking about it a little while avoiding going into anything which would be too close to starting on the game itself. Not sure how I'll do a lot of the stuff involved (my programming skills are a bit dodgy), but hey it'll be a learning experience...

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 02:08 Edited at: 21st Dec 2009 02:08
intl added, kept thinner outline. keeper?

Attachments

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 02:13
Possible suggestion - could one part be shortened at the same time as the next word was added? Just personal opinion but I think that might look cool... If it's not too much effort to try...

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 02:20 Edited at: 21st Dec 2009 02:20
here's another version. outlines initial words in thin black for visibility purposes.

CoffeeCoder, tell me when to stop

Attachments

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 02:22
Virtual Nomad, that's great. 'Tis a keeper!

demons breath: I like your idea as well! I absolutely love cartoony graphics.

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 02:23
Haha problem being I can't model or anything so it probably won't work. To be honest even when I submit it everything will still LOOK like place-holder models

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 02:26
Doesn't matter. As long as you get somewhere with your NaGaCreMo project, we'll all still be happy.

Sig test: How does everyone like Virtual Nomad's art?

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 02:27 Edited at: 21st Dec 2009 02:28
ok, done. but, since i was working on db's idea, i'll attach.

Attachments

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 02:29 Edited at: 21st Dec 2009 02:32
That's excellent! I'll update my sig now in order to keep things up to date.

Updated. I really like it!

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 04:45 Edited at: 21st Dec 2009 04:45
I, Venge, pledge to finish a working [game\demo\general program] within the first thirty days of 2010.

Level editor for Siege, if I ever stop thinking of things I need to add.

I will live forever or die trying.
My game blog

Attachments

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 04:54
That looks fantastic Venge!

You shall be added to the list.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 04:57
CoffeeCoder, good idea to take the initiative on this.

I'll think for a few days and set some kind of goal for Fields (not to complete it, though ).

Also, if you want to make it easier on participants, you can just put this in code tags in the original post for sig code, instead of your long instructions:

I won't be moving the image for a LONG time.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 05:03
Thanks BMac, will do!

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 05:05
Well, between BMac's code and my existing sig, it was over 200 characters.

So I tinyurl'd it.

I will live forever or die trying.
My game blog
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 05:06
Wow venge that is great

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 05:13
I love tinyurl, I had to use it in order to make my sig too. Tinyurl is indeed the god of hyperlinking.

BearCDP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 05:19
I, BearCDP, pledge to finish a working [game\demo\general program] within the first thirty days of 2010.

What will that game/demo/general program be?

Who knows. I'll figure that out on the plane flight back home.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 05:28
I, Jeku, pledge to finish a working demo within the first thirty days of 2010.

I will use XNA 3.0 to do an Xbox 360/PC port of my game, WordTrix. I've been looking for an excuse to start a project now that I'm single again with some free time, and this looks like a great way to learn XNA. Good idea

Senior Web Developer - Nokia
Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 05:38 Edited at: 21st Dec 2009 05:40
If I started now and worked non stop till the end of January, I might be able to finish a working demo of Swordfight. BUT, I'm getting a new computer. By the time I've finished research, ordering the parts, they arrive, I put it all together, I get everything installed, and work out any possible compatibility issues with Windows 7, half the time will have passed by. So, I won't be able to make it in time. It's too bad, this looked interesting. A competition just for fun, that's the kind of competition I like.

Ah well, at least I can see how much I get done towards a working demo after I get everything settled.

I'm working on Swordfight again! Come tell me what you think!
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=158681&b=19
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 05:39 Edited at: 21st Dec 2009 05:40
Excellent, thanks for signing up guys!

I suppose I should make my pledge...

I, CoffeeCoder, pledge to finish my level editor and game demo within the first thirty days of 2010.

It's going to be based off of my entry from last year (Coins Galore), but it's been completely redesigned and revamped to include a lot more than it did before. I may also change the title to something more exciting.

@Herakles:

Sorry to hear that man, but congrats on getting a new computer! That's always a blast.

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
I made a joke post in the '09 NaGaCreMo thread, i figure i should sign up this year

I, NeuroPwnz0rx, pledge to finish a working [game\demo\general program] within the first thirty days of 2010.

I'm going to create a better version of my past attempts at a Zombie RTS. My first version couuld have 200 zombies fighting about 10 soldiers with no obstacles on the map, my second could have 2000 citizens who get infected by zombies fighting ~30 soldiers with simple obstacles around the map (skyscrapers). I figure this time I can get a large map with continuously spawning zombies (depending on where the screen is), and some user-creatable obstacles (roadblocks and the like). I might start prototyping and modeling now, but the code will not be started until midnight on the first day of 2012.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 05:43
Haha, sounds nice! Thanks for signing up.

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
I, GIDustin, pledge to finish my DBPro "Klan Kamakazee Game Libraries" within the first thirty days of 2010.

Right now I am at a stage where I want to make a game that can be profitable, but don't have any idea what to make. So I started the Klan Kamakazee Libraries (KKLib). Basically its a whole bunch of library files that I can use for any future game. There is one that controls keyboard and mouse input, one that controls loading and manipulating images/sprites/bitmaps/objects and auto-restores on "display invalid()", a custom GUI system with rich-text boxes, error logging system, timing systems, fast math systems, and much much more.

The plan is that once I finally sit down and decide on what kind of game I want to make, 90% of the reusable code will already be completed.

P.S. Yes, I know Kamakazee is spelled wrong. It's intentional. It started as a Counter-strike clan and has evolved into a TF2 clan, a World of Warcraft guild, and a small game design "company".

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 07:55 Edited at: 21st Dec 2009 07:56
Congratulations GIDustin, you've been added to the list.

I just thought I'd share a screen shot of my level editor, since Venge went and posted one of his. I've renamed my project to Marble Adventures (again, though, it could change).

It's currently at v0.5, because I've started re-programming it three times since I started work on v0.2. The GUI is completely faked (by that I mean I gimped it up and am not using actual Windows GUI .dll's or anything) and not even functional yet; that's where all of my program options are being handled and where 98% of the actual programming will begin tomorrow (it's 1 AM here and I'm tired). I really just wanted to show off my faked GUI.

Attachments

Melancholic
Years of Service
User Offline
Erm...... what happens if i fail to complete a game?, do i get savegly murdered by a axe wielding monkey or?
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 10:52 Edited at: 21st Dec 2009 10:54
Melancholic - You don't want to know

And VN that sig looks great

EDIT: Sig test

Yeah I decided to change it - half because of a sense of community spirit, half because I'm listening to Miley Cyrus and I don't want anyone to know so I'm getting rid of that Last.FM image shhhhh...

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 12:53
I, Blobby101 pledge to finish a working demo within the first thirty days of 2010.

I will be trying to get a working releasable demo of a GTA style game I'm working on complete. - I was going to say I'll complete my Transform Cutscene Studio project, but i honestly don't think i'll be able to complete it by then end of January. It's at a stage that I can use though so I might put some TCS cutscenes into my game

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 12:57
What if I want to use procedural C compiled using GCC?

Athlon64 2.7gHz->OC 3.9gHz, 31C, MSi 9500GT->OC 1gHz core/2gHz memory, 48C, 4Gb DDR2 667, 500Gb Seagate + 80Gb Maxtor + 40Gb Maxtor = 620Gb, XP Home
Air cooled, total cost £160

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 14:02:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 14:02:17