Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Free Playbook Tablet Offer

Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 16:37 Edited at: 14th Feb 2012 17:31
Hi Guys,

Check out this promotion from BlackBerry: http://us.blackberry.com/developers/tablet/playbook_offer2012.jsp?CPID=DFBPromotion&Date=020812

The rules are pretty simple: Developers who submit a BlackBerry® PlayBook™ app to BlackBerry App World™ by March 2, 2012 are eligible for a free BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet.

The trick is they are only accepting new registrations up to the 15th February which means IT ENDS LATER ON TONIGHT!! The link to register is here:
https://appworld.blackberry.com/isvportal/vendor/reg_terms.do

We want you guys to have the opportunity to grab yourself a free Playbook so we are putting a rush on a quick build of the Playbook Platform for T1 BASIC users. Go ahead and start registering, then finish your AppGameKit app pronto, and in the next few days we will add the Playbook T1 platform to your Product History so you can compile your apps ready for submission to the App World store and claim your free tablet

The offer is so cool, I think I might knock up a quick app myself for the deadline As this offer crept up on us, we have had no time to prepare detailed step by step guides on how to build and submit your Playbook app, but we'll prepare enough to give you a shot and of course I will feed in more info as I go through the process myself. We have already successfully submitted the AppGameKit Player to the store so the pipeline does work, it's just so new that very few of us remember the exact steps!

So all that is left to say is good luck, register RIGHT NOW and get that AppGameKit app finished off. You could have a tablet in your future!

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 17:38
Lee,

glad to see you guys trying to put together the instructions to do that.

For the registration itself, few highlights:

- You must be on legal age (in your country)
- There is no fee for registration - NADA!
- You need some photo ID document (driver license, etc)
- During the registration, you don't have to add any information about the app you are making. So if you still have no idea, register anyway and think about the app later.
- Blackberry Developers make, in average, more money than Android ones

Also, as Lee said, you MUST register before Feb 15, 11:59 EST.

Cheers

----------
Paulo
http://www.mobilecreators.com
Greg_C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 17:58 Edited at: 14th Feb 2012 18:05
Quote: "We want you guys to have the opportunity to grab yourself a free Playbook so we are putting a rush on a quick build of the Playbook Platform for T1 BASIC users"

I'm a T2 user will it still be worth registering or no?
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 18:08
We will give you the tier 2 lib and the include files so you can make your own tier 2 app, and the tier 1 interpreter for blackberry so you can compile your own bytecode into it. But officially it will be unsupported and only for those that want a go at this competition.

For example, if you wanted to test your app you'd need to download the Playbook simulator, which is a separate download, and I didn't use. So you'll have to rely on the Blackberry documentation for some of it.
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 18:40
Grrr I have no photographic ID. I've registered, just waiting to be validated to see if there is any way I can get around it. My app is almost ready to go

Join us at www.devhat.net and in #lobby at irc.devhat.net
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
If you can make available T2 libs by next week + a little quick guide, I will try to submit something
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
For all those who were already a registered developer with Blackberry, you don't need to register again to get the free playbook
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 21:24
Registered, and quite happy to submit my game as an ad-free version in order to get the tablet In fact, I will make it a Lite version (read as limited to the bit that's already developed!), to entice people to get the bigger, better version later.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 21:50 Edited at: 14th Feb 2012 21:51
Yes, I've just finished the lite version of my first game I'll be sending that into them as a freebie, and polish my final version as a paid submission later on.

My new vendors account says "Vendor account status is disabled." so I guess I'm either too late on this one, or at the mercy of their approval department. The message isn't particularly clear and they don't appear to be sending confirmation e-mails explaining what's going on. If anyone else can clear this up for me I'll be grateful!
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 22:00
Quote: "Vendor account status is disabled"

There's a little note at the bottom of the vendor page that says this will happen to new users until the account is verified. You should still be OK for the FREE Tablet though.

Amazing offer from Blackberry this! just a shame I spotted it too late.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 22:08
Got my vendor account. Just got to pick a WIP to finish in time...

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 22:41
I've just signed up but I've got the vendor account disabled thing too.

Quote: "You should still be OK for the FREE Tablet though."

So you reckon that because the application is in, so long as they approve my account in time, I will still be eligible? I think I probably messed up the application though so I suspect I wont get approved in time. I got to stage 3 and signed in to PayPal and it didn't take me back so I don't think I got to the stage with the photo ID. Can't re-register though because the account already exists and I can't login because it's not verified. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Also just to clarify, do we really mean any app gets a free playbook?? Because I gather it runs Android apps so I could just deploy my little spinner app on to it but I would feel kind of bad taking a playbook for that...

Trisect Development
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 22:43
I just applied for an account, waiting for them to approve it.

I have my Memory Wars game out on iTunes Store and Android Marked.
I guess I could put it out to the Blackberry store.

iOS Apps from Trisect Development.
Click here.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 22:51
Read the T&C's and make sure you remove any links and android references first but that should be fine.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 23:00 Edited at: 14th Feb 2012 23:00
I have a feeling that they won't be accepting just any app!
I bet "red button" style apps won't get a free playbook!
Trisect Development
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 23:00
#Baxslash

The only Android relations is the Word Android on menu buttons and info text in the game.
Is thats what your talking about.

Click here.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 23:03
As long as your account is created by the end of 15th Feb and they subsequently approve it before the 2nd March you should be fine. I'm not sure what happens if they don't approve it and ask you to make a change if that technically means the account is created after the 15th, you'll have to ask them about it.

Quote: "Also just to clarify, do we really mean any app gets a free playbook?"

They have an application criteria section in their terms and conditions here (I recommend everyone read this) that state "Applications that provide a simple, single function, such as playing noise or displaying a graphic" are not suitable. The application must be "useful" is the word they use. There is also a limit of one free device per account no matter how many applications you submit before the deadline.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
If anyone of you manages to get free Playbook, then that alone will have paid off the cost of AppGameKit on its own!!!!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 08:10
Quote: "The only Android relations is the Word Android on menu buttons and info text in the game.
Is thats what your talking about."

I don't know your app specifically, it's a requirement listed in the terms and conditions.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 08:26
I didn't see a photo ID section, did anyone else outside of the US get this?

Trisect Development
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 09:07
How long did you guys have to wait for the approval e-mail?
I have been waiting for many hours now.

Click here.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 10:02
Quote: "I didn't see a photo ID section, did anyone else outside of the US get this?"

Me either...

Quote: "How long did you guys have to wait for the approval e-mail?"

Not got mine yet... I'm not waiting. Getting on with finishing my game

Trisect Development
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 10:08
I just hope I will be able to have a chance to get a Playbook. I did register yesterday but cannot log in on their website. I'm still waiting for them to approve my registration.

Click here.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I think the ID requirement was only for Us/Canada
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I had already registered here in the past:
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/

But apparently that was not enough.
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 12:33
Yeah I've not received mine either. A few Google searches return reports of people waiting a couple of weeks though.. See this for example.

Quote: "They have an application criteria section in their terms and conditions"

Thanks for pointing this out. Well there is absolutely no way I'm going to get my current WIP finished for the deadline so I'll just do my best to port by Android app and add as many features as I can. They may say there isn't enough content but it's worth a try for a playbook!!

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 16:11
If I remember correctly ours took about 2 weeks to be approved, but that was for a company rather than individual account. It may be why they put the 15th Feb deadline on creating the account to make sure they could get them approved before the competition ended. In which case I would expect them to be cutting it close with the accounts finally getting approved a few days before the 2nd March, at which point you can upload your apps just before it closes. Apps don't need to be approved before the deadline, and they have a clause that would allow them to extend it if necessary anyway.

We will release the libs and guide shortly so you can at least compile and test your app whilst waiting for approval.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I hope that the sdk setting up & compiling guide is less complicated than the Android one, as a lot of people found great difficulty with that
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 20:40
I applied for my account last night and I've just received approval.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
My account was approved too!
I am in for it!

any links to simple FAQs what the app process is like? Is it similar to iOS with code signatures or simpler?
Trisect Development
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 21:14
I just got mine to. Hope it was in time.

Click here.
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 22:08
Got my account verified, didn't need ID. Just waiting for the compiler and I will submit my just finished poker game. Cheers for the heads up

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 23:21
Just thought I'd point out that the PlayBook resolution is 1024x600, not 1024x768 like the iPad.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
my game is 960x640. I can easily name the 640 into 600 with no big changes, but I don't know what to do in the vacant 64 pixels.

maybe ads!?!!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2012 08:19
Approved

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2012 08:45
Approved .

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2012 09:14
Approved

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
we need some general guides & faqs now!
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2012 14:06
Approved

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
We like to keep things simple here at BlackBerry App World HQ. How simple? Submitting a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet app is the same as submitting an app for BlackBerry smartphones – only you’ll be submitting .BAR files instead of .COD files.

Here’s a reminder of what you’ll need when submitting an application:

Application name
Category
Application language
Description language
Description
Icon (480×480 .png image)
Screenshots
License type
Price
BAR files
File bundle language
BAR file language
Devices supported
OS version supported
Selected countries
Restricted countries
Additional notes
Application version

The only thing different you’ll need to do when submitting your app for BlackBerry PlayBook tablet is to ensure you select “PlayBook” as the device when uploading the file bundles. If you’re submitting a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet version of an existing BlackBerry smartphone app, you can just add a new release and file bundle for your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet version. If you’re submitting a brand new app, just submit like you would any new app.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2012 16:19
Any idea if a free game is eligible for a playbook?

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
This link seems to have most of the preliminary info necessary to install the native sdk & apply for code signature...

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/native/documentation/getting_started.html
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2012 16:45 Edited at: 16th Feb 2012 17:13
OK, added my draft game... just have to finish it and wait for the interpreter!

EDIT: Thanks for the link bj! There is a link for the simulator there too which will be handy for Tier 1 developers too.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2012 00:35
The download is now in the product history for AppGameKit customers. It includes two text files in the zip file called Quick Tips, and Detailed Steps, the first is just things I think you should know that may not seem obvious, and the second is from Lee's tireless efforts in going through the whole process.

If you wish to make a tier 2 app then you can clear out the interpreter.h and interpreter.cpp files and replace them with template.h and template.cpp from other examples.

To make a tier 1 app, as ever make sure the line

is in your code and fill the "assets" folder with all your media and bytecode file.

We tried the simulator and it does work in landscape mode, but not portrait, I've added a variable to Core.cpp called g_pLandscape where you can set the default mode (for tier 1 + 2).
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2012 01:38
I started following Lees instructions. It specifies early on to check for the folder "agk_player_bb", I do not have this.

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2012 01:53
The .cproject file does not contain any "E:". I'm not sure what I need to change in it.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2012 03:22
the "agk_player_bb" folder was the original name of the zip file, so it just means the root folder of the zip file you extracted.

Quote: "The .cproject file does not contain any "E:". I'm not sure what I need to change in it."

I've since changed most of these to relative paths, so I marked those steps as optional (with a question mark) and only necessary if you happen to find some I missed.
MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2012 06:02
I just did a quick pass in the detailed instructions. At some point it is said to register the keys. Since it takes couple hours to send the keys, just register as the first step, before starting.

Access https://www.blackberry.com/SignedKeys/ and order your keys, then follow the instructions.

Cheers

----------
Paulo
http://www.mobilecreators.com
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes it takes 2 hours to get the keys!
I already registered them & got them yesterday!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I am stuck at this part.

As stated above E: seems to be depreciated. So what should we search for and replace?

after cleaning & rebuilding, I get errors, -lAGKblackberry not found...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 06:10:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 06:10:13