Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / | Call of the Dragon | - BETA

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2007 21:10 Edited at: 21st May 2007 00:47
CALL OF THE DRAGON BETA

The TGC and NVIDIA competition has been over for quite some time now but we've still been working hard on the game to get it to a complete state. We had hoped that TGC would upload the games not long after the results were announced but since they haven't we decided to just go on ahead and upload a BETA version (pun intended I guess ) which has a lot more improvements over the version we submitted for the competition.

Game Information
Rather than reiterate everything I have previously said about the game you can simply check out the WIP thread I made for the competition or your can browse the COD webpage. At these links you can find pictures, videos, music, the whole nine yards.

Playing the Game
I uploaded the game using YouSendIt so it's only available for 7 days or 100 downloads; I’ll probably re-upload it again if necessary but provided the 1GB bandwidth limit (which is already on 16% for the month) is not exceeded. You can download the game below:

COD V2.0 BETA (48.5MB)

Mirror 1 (YouSendIt)
Mirror 2 (COD Web Page)

Just extract the ZIP file and run the game from the MNU.exe program file. There's a user manual document in the folder that you can look into should you require any more information. You're limited to playing either the training stage or stage 1 of the game, everything else is locked for now.

What we would like from you is to test the hell out of the game and post us your feedback on this thread. Let us know if you find any bugs/problems/issues with the game or have any suggestions on ways to make the game better, but we probably won't have enough time to make any major changes.

Thank you, and i hope you like it.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2007 21:26 Edited at: 20th May 2007 21:28
Aww... forget it the site needs registaration

[B] - LINKIN PARK - [/B]
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2007 21:39
No problem, I’m going to try to upload it to our web page so anyone that can’t be bothered to register with YouSendIt can download it from there instead.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2007 21:43
Great! I will download right away after its uploaded

[B] - LINKIN PARK - [/B]
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 00:51 Edited at: 21st May 2007 00:53
Ok, I’ve uploaded the beta demo to our web page so if you haven't got a YouSendIt account you can just download it directly from there instead. Many thanks to Dan for providing the web space and bandwidth.

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2007 19:36
Erm... feedback anyone?

I'm pretty sure the game isn't perfect, it must have its share of flaws from both a technical and gameplay standpoint. The thing is we can't detect much anymore from an "in the loop" developers perspective, that's why we need your opinion as fellow developers.

Don't be shy about voicing any issues or concerns you may have with the game, we're all ears whether you think it sucks or rules!

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2007 21:25 Edited at: 24th May 2007 21:26
Why the hell isn't anyone leaving feedback, this is possibly one of the coolest (in my opinion) games ever made in DBP.

I haven't played around with it very long due to being busy with other things, but I'm very impressed with what you've done.

The movement is fluid, the variety of moves is cool (and really shows the effort you've put into this). The only thing I dislike about is that when you are cornered by two enemies, due to the character being a wimp and crouching down crying sometimes when he is hit, it's very hard to fight back.

I'd give better criticism if I didn't suck at it (giving criticism, not the game of course.. ). One thing I can say for sure is that I like this game!

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2007 21:55
Ok, I played the first level though.

I liked how the punch bag swings back and knocks you down! the game looks pretty polished. However the gameplay was fairly linear, as you walk into a room with 5-6 guys sitting around then two of them run up to you on either side and you kill one of them then another dude comes down, however I'm not sure how you could change this as you can't exactly go against 5 enemies . Also I noticed that if I do the lower spin kick I can win every battle, including the boss very easily. In fact it takes no skill using that method, as anyone behind you rarely ever hits you. I think the controls, particularly the switching directions should be easier, as I found it slightly cumbersome when trying to fight off two sides.

Overall the engine is very nice, cinematics and all but the gameplay needs to be improved as I can't imagine any other levels playing much differently that the first one. And those people standing by sure don't like you knocking over the bins do they .

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2007 22:53
It was good but i found the same things as Dark Coder..

[B] - LINKIN PARK - [/B]
Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2007 23:02
I haven't played the game (since I've taken a two-week pause due to tooooo much gaming), but an idea for how to make it better in the gameplay would be to create some kind of 'puzzles'... and with that I mean an fighting-game version where you have to do something in an limited amout of time but have a bunch of annoying bullies biting you everytime you turn around.

Anyway, I must say that from what I've seen, this game seem to be very nice. Keep up the good work.
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2007 20:28 Edited at: 27th May 2007 20:28
Sweet, thank you all for the comments!

Quote: "The only thing I dislike about is that when you are cornered by two enemies, due to the character being a wimp and crouching down crying sometimes when he is hit, it's very hard to fight back."

That's actually his "knocked down" animation when he's attacked from the back, so you have to get up before you can keep on fighting.

Quote: "However the gameplay was fairly linear, as you walk into a room with 5-6 guys sitting around then two of them run up to you on either side and you kill one of them then another dude comes down, however I'm not sure how you could change this as you can't exactly go against 5 enemies"

We actually had a system in place where all the enemies surrounded you while you took on 2 at a time (front and back), we'll revert back to something similar so at least things feel a little bit more engaging.

Quote: "Also I noticed that if I do the lower spin kick I can win every battle, including the boss very easily. In fact it takes no skill using that method, as anyone behind you rarely ever hits you"

Fixed, thanks for bringing that to our attention.

Quote: "I think the controls, particularly the switching directions should be easier, as I found it slightly cumbersome when trying to fight off two sides"

You can perform backward attacks without turning around simply by hitting back with either the punch or kick buttons. We didn't design the game to involve much turning around (but we can't force the players to play the way we want them to) so the double back tap seemed like an obvious choice.

Quote: "I haven't played the game (since I've taken a two-week pause due to tooooo much gaming), but an idea for how to make it better in the gameplay would be to create some kind of 'puzzles'... and with that I mean an fighting-game version where you have to do something in an limited amout of time but have a bunch of annoying bullies biting you everytime you turn around."

Sounds like a good idea, but unfortunately we don't have enough time to implement such a mechanic.

Thanks all.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2007 18:49 Edited at: 12th Jul 2007 18:50
Quote: "
Mr. X: an idea for how to make it better in the gameplay would be to create some kind of 'puzzles'... and with that I mean an fighting-game version where you have to do something in an limited amout of time but have a bunch of annoying bullies biting you everytime you turn around.
"

I agree, there is a similar idea in Fahrenheit where you have to press a sequence of buttons to avoid attacks etc.
I haven't played COTD but I think a good addition would be an intimidation factor: performing moves such as cracking a guys head open would intimidate the other "thugs" and make them more reluctant to just pile in on you. I don't know how in-depth the game is but this could be taken further, such as having tattoos or piercings that intimidate your opponents even before you attack.
The game looks great .

I make music and art. Here is a sample of my art: done in Paint! It's all I have

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 17:09:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 17:09:31