Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / LightEngine 0.3 released

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 19:17 Edited at: 6th Jun 2007 01:52
Hi everyone!

I'm here to announce the release of a new name but the same Plugin.

As I've already said on the 0.2 post, DarkEngine was renamed to LightEngine. This is just a rename and things are still the same, it is jut for new people to know it is a "product" from another person, not TGC.

I was supposed to release v0.3 along with some more examples, but with the rename, I preferred to release it already so people may get used to the newest name. BlueOrb was also renamed to LightOrb (to get along with the Light name, and also, there is a company in the US named BlueOrb, I don't wanna trouble with the name).

That said, here's the new domain (website is also the same):

[EDITED] Version 0.4 available! Here's the thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=107615&b=22

Here's a small roadmap for next versions I wish to accomplish:

v0.3: Released, new name a few new commands. Some renames to make readability easier (like CLS is now ClearScreen and Rnd is now Random).

v0.4: New examples, and all new commands needed by them, along with the most of the missing commands right now.

v0.5: Release a version with at least 95% of the commands implemented. I need your help here, please, tell me any missing command!

v0.6 - v0.9: Documentation, Optimization and missing commands.

v1.0: Final version (probably by the end of the year, but the sooner the better).

OMG, that's really a big post, so I hope I have explained everything correctly.

Best Regards,
Thiago
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2007 23:45
Hi Everyone, just a little update.

Well, it seems that a lot of people downloaded LightEngine from more than 10 different countries (according to website's statistics). Hope everyone's making good use of it =)

Unfortunately, there isn't any kind of feedback right now.

I'll be releasing v0.4 by the next week, along with a complete conversion of the 7 DGDK.NET samples: Spinning Cube, Camera, Animation, WinForms, Shaders, FPS and Fire Cube (VB.NET Version of Spinning Cube). I've converted the 7 of them to both languages, for a total of 14 projects to join the LightEngine distribution.

I won't be releasing them for now because some of them requires methods/properties/classes available only on v0.4. There's a total ammount of 32 changes right know (counting renames, new methods/properties/classes, etc.) but it is far from complete. At least, from v0.4 I'll be listing every single change that I make to it, so no worry of not knowing what changed from one version to another)

Once again, I will be asking for feedback right now, any missing methods that you need, ask me to include them or they will only appear on v0.5, and by the roadmap, it might be a little far away (at least a month after the release of v0.4).

That's all for now.
Happy coding to everyone =)

Best regards,
Thiago
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2007 03:20
kBessa, nice work on the updates my friend, if you need any assistance in getting LE on the move, let me know. I'm somewhat off the rails at the moment because I started a new job four weeks ago, which makes daytime committment difficult. My evenings and weekends are totally dedicated to work on DGDK.NET of course.

If you need me to provide any info, well, you know where I am on IRC of course, and this normally revolves around UK evening times, but don't hesitate to get in touch.

Top stuff!!

Paul.

Abundance = Choice = Freedom - Scarcity = Dependancy = Control, Truth!
James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2007 17:26
I downloaded the kit some time ago, but havent had time (or the inspiration) to make any use of it (or the DGDK.NET for that matter).

Hopefully that will change during this summer.

I might rewrite the game i was working on earlier completely to LE from scratch.

Using Dark GDK.NET
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 08:17 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2007 19:58
@James: I really hope you have the time for that, I would be very happy to see real projects using LightEngine (not only my samples).

You know, although LE is free, if people use it (specially if a commercial product based on it gets released), that would be the best payment for me. =)

@Apexnow: Paul, my friend. Long time that I couldn't be online on the IRC channel. I only have to thank you for the support. The only thing I can remember now are the flags parameters of some methods. I'd like to change them to Enums (like I have done with one of LightImage's constructors, LightTextureFlag enum). I will make a little list of all methods I can remember, maybe people could help. Thanks =)

[Edit]
Paul, another thing! I am thinking of also wrapping your plugins (CSM and ODE) to make them easier to integrate with LightEngine. I downloaded both of them. CMS Sample seems pre-1.0.9, and it says it can't initialize DGDK.NET. Does it run with 1.0.9 or do we need a new version light ODE?

Then ODE. I don't know exactly, but I think it doesn't like my laptop =(
It compiles fine, but when it runs I get this error: The server threw an exception. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010105 (RPC_E_SERVERFAULT))
Tried copying only the compiled files to my desktop and it runs just fine on it. So, I guess the problem is my laptop, right? Geez

[Re-Edit] My bad! Actually, I forgot to comment one of the SetShadowShadingOn commands. Everything smooth with ODE =)

Thiago
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2007 21:26
kBessa, I've updated the CSM plugin for v1.0.9.0 as requested, find in the tools thread.

Paul.

kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2007 07:45 Edited at: 5th Jun 2007 07:48
Thanks Paul. I know we've discussed on IRC but I forgot to thank you. Both plugins are working fine here. =)

To everyone:

As for v0.4. I wanted to release it last weekend but I had some problems at home and at job (all sorted out by now) so I couldn't do it. As a bonus, instead of adding only command to make the samples work, it will come with, at least 95% of DBPro commands available, so any DBPro application (that does no use Plugins, of course) should be possibly converted to LightEngine.

Unfortunately, there should be something like 3% to 5% of unavailable commands (they exist on DBPro but not on DGDK.NET), but as far as I noticed, they aren't very important commands. Also, there are commands available on DGDK.NET that are not on DBPro. I didn't mind wrapping them by now as most of us will never use them, some seem just too ambiguous and some too much obscure. But as from v0.2, even though it is not available on DBPro, DisplayOnPictureBox is available on LightEngine

And last but not least, this time I was not lazy and documented EVERY SINGLE CHANGE that I made on LightEngine, should it be added methods, renamed properties, etc. From v0.4 on it will accompany a Readme with the changes. After all, this is good for my own sake :-P

I think that's all for now, just wanted to give some feedback.

Happy coding!

-Thiago
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 06:29
Could any moderator lock and un-stick this thread and stick the new one (v0.4)? Thanks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 15:51:54
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 15:51:54