Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Lost Garden Gaming Challenge

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2007 15:39 Edited at: 29th May 2007 15:41
Rich passed this on to me, thought it would be interesting to get involved with, and possibly too long a delay if I leave it for the newsletter...

http://lostgarden.com/2007/05/cutegod-prototyping-challenge.html

In a nutshell...
take the excellent tileset that he has created, follow the game mechanic guidelines set out in the challenge, and create a "God" game. (IndyGamer Review)

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2007 20:27
This looks cool. Thanks BatVink & Rich. Very good project for DB-users!!

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2007 18:50
Wooow! That tileset is extremely nice, and the fact it is a God game is even nicer. Me thinks I'm going to check this one out...

09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2007 20:33
I'm trying to work on it, but the tile sizes are somewhat odd and difficult to work with.

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 00:14
yeah they're odd numbers, which is quite weird.. so the easiest way around it is to offset and put less on-screen than what you'd want to. it's still all a case of offsetting.

Oolite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 02:52
I like the fact that they have all the game mechanics set out for you, gets rid of a lot of the planning but it doesn't really feel that free to do what i want with the game, never the less its a very good competition that i wouldn't mind getting involved in, even though i do most of my work in the art side of game development.

[Looking for work]
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 03:00
It's not really a competition, more a challenge to create a game within the guidelines. The first one he had, all you got was the media and that was it. People had to figure out what to do.

Just a case of coders challenging themselves to create this within the time it takes him to release a new challenge.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 10:01
This challenge looks utterly fascinating and fun. I know that I could make a game with his art exactly like he wants. Problem for me is that it's not really a proper competition, and I couldn't possibly justify taking the time do make the game. If I did, I couldn't use his tiles to develop it any further either

Hopefully someone represents with DBP, it looks like it would be a fantastic game if made properly.

Come see the WIP!
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 10:32
His artwork is limiting, and no doubt Drac knows this. (given he used to do this for a living)
It's part of the challenge.

It'll become easier as more challenges appear and "Planet Cute" artwork becomes a larger library to work with. Certainly is going to be interesting to see what people make with this though.

MickeyIII
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 22:32
What a COINCIDENCE!!!

I just so happen to be successfuly, finally I get to use that word, making a map editor. Phaelax is right about the tilesize. I can tell just by looking at the pictures on the Lost Gardens Website...

That's ok, I'll just adjust my code to let me say what the tilesize is, instead of only making it 32 x 32. How inflexible of me.

Just one thing I'm not clear on. What exactly are we to NAME our program?

Mickey III
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 23:10 Edited at: 1st Jun 2007 23:12
Quote: "That's ok, I'll just adjust my code to let me say what the tilesize is, instead of only making it 32 x 32. How inflexible of me."

Or you could download the trial version of Microsoft Expression Design and export them to a more standard tilesize.

Or you could output as vector artwork, then write a vector engine in DBP

Or you could just scale the png's in Paint .NET, Photoshop (or whatever you prefer)

Or you could put all of the tiles on planes, and use their size to scale them

lol just some suggestions. Personally I've taken a completely alternative route and created 3D models, but then again I'm not using DBP; nor am I competing but after seeing the prototype it let my mind wander to create something of a more complete game that wouldn't be amiss on XBLA

note: the images are exported as PNG 101x171x72dpi

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 23:18
Quote: "If I did, I couldn't use his tiles to develop it any further either "

According to his site + his reply to a comment, his tiles are free to use for whatever purpose

09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2007 00:07
I think the tilesize issue is misunderstood. The whole point of these tiles is that you don't need to consider borders. Just work to standard square tiles with the correct offsets, and the borders will work themselves out. Remember to ensure the topmost tiles are drawn to the front.

MickeyIII
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2007 04:33
Thanks for the Suggestions, but I pretty much figured it out. Now just to finnish the Demo/Messy Coded version of my map editor to get this challenge done...

This is my first challenge, I'm having a blast learning to code in DBP, and (for some reason I feel like saying this), I LOVE Gimp2!!!
Not to mention blender 2.43, which by the way, if you look in the Exporting Blender to DBPro thread, I've posted some examples that work perfectly for me...Plus I have some that aren't posted...

Thanks again,
Mickey III
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2007 21:55
The visible portion of the images are not square, but offsetting isn't a real big issue. That was easy to work out, now I'm overlaying the shadow images. Layering everything deciding which shadow gets overlaid where is a little more challenging.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2007 22:44
If anyone does anything newsletter worthy, or gets a DB Pro mention on their site, let me know and I'll feature it in one form or another.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 12:55:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 12:55:38