Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / PhysiX-Brick-Breakout V. 1.4 now with GUI (DP-Sw-Mode-Comp-2006-Entry)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 03:44 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2010 18:07
Hello everyone!

I finally made it and now "PhysiX-Brick-Breakout" V. 1.4 is ready useing the nice FreshGUI to make it more comfortable to use!

It's still my first game, I just improved it by adding the GUI (and this was harder than expected)!

Screenshots:
The new menu/GUI:
1. Main-Menu:

2. The "General-Menu" with help-system enabled:

3. Game-Play-Menu:

4. Sound-Menu:

5. Graphics-Menu:

6. PhysX-Menu:

7. The Short-Manual-Menu with some kind of "Tab-System":

In-Game:
1. Shows how it looks like on startup (with enabled Parallax-Mapping):

Shows how it looks when the "Force-Field-Effect" is enabled:

Shows the Dark-Physics interaction of the particles:

Important things to know:
AGEIA-PhysX Driver needed:
To play the game you need the latest AGEIA-PhysX Driver (because the game uses Dark-Physics which is based on the AGEIA-PhysX-SDK)! A link to download a version is shown below!
Also have a look at the point "How to download:", because otherwise you might be unable to get any files downloaded!!!

How to download:
1. ! IMPORTANT !: Disable any Download-Manager or say NO, if it asks you to download the file (it will ask after you clicked on the link!)!!!
2. Click on the link below
3. Click on the "Free-User"-Button on the left side of the browser
4. Wait untill the counter (big number changing slowly in the middle of the browser-window) reaches "0.0"
(4.1 optional: Select a server from the list)
5. Click the "Download"-Button
6. Click "Save" in the upcoming dialog
7. Select the place where you want to save the file and click "Save"
8. Unpack and have fun!

[b]Download-Links:[/b]
NVidia-PhysX Driver (Version: 9.09.1112):
http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.09.1112.html

Game-Files:
http://rapidshare.com/files/339292969/PhysiX-Brick-Breakout---V--1-4.zip

Previous versions:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=93582&b=5

Feel free to put a comment here, if you find something like a bug or anything else that could improve the game! (As far as it can be improved, cause it's still a simple (stupid?) game!)

I would welcome everyone willing to test it in Hardware-Mode, cause I have actually no PhysX-Card (I hope to get one in the future) and give me some feedback, IF it worked at all!

Try it out, maybe it performs better on your machine! (Also try disableing the 'Parallax'-Mapping-Effect, it helps a lot when starting the game with a lot of objects!)

Hoozer

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 04:18 Edited at: 9th Jul 2007 04:23
Clever idea, I've never seen anything like this for a Breakout game. I must admit it's rather difficult, mostly due to depth perception being hard at that angle. At first I thought that when the ball turned red, it meant the ball was in danger of going out. I personally think that this would be a good idea. I haven't played this much yet because I'm busy programming at the moment but I'll give it more playing some other time and see if I can give any useful feedback.

Anyway, well done. It looks to have potential.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 04:31
@ Benjamin: Thanks a lot for the compliments!
I never had such a fast response to my PBB-Game-Thread! *lol*
I really must say that this is something very new, because the last time I only had one response in 6 months!

As you can read in the "MANUAL"-file or in the "Short-Manual" within the game, the "red" ball means it's within the reach of your bar (and somehow this is a warning, because it isn't far away from beeing out of the arena)! Also the "red" bar means it's in front of your bar and this makes it easier to realize that you can hit the ball!

All feedback is wellcome!

I hope it makes some fun playing around!

Hoozer

AMD64X24800+(939);2GB;GF6800LE (@12PS, 6VS; 380 MHz, RAM: 434 MHz)
DP-Sw-Mode-Comp-Entry (updated to V. 1.4):
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=109846&b=5&p=0
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 06:21
Ok I've been playing it some more. It certainly is fun, although there is one thing that I don't like: when the ball is near your bat, moving very slowly, and you have to wait for it to do something because you can't touch the ball when it isn't close enough. The ability to hit the ball(and by that I mean for the paddle to sharply move in the direction of the ball, whichever axis that is) would be useful for that.

Also, when I turned the 3 graphics options on, the game was of course slower, but it seems you don't use timer-based movement? Because the ball took an unbearable amount of time to do anything, and I gave up. I tried using the other timing method in the options but it didn't seem to make any difference. Nice menus by the way, they help show the effort you put into this (the content of the menus, I know that the menus were done with FreshGUI).

Quote: "Also the "red" bar means it's in front of your bar and this makes it easier to realize that you can hit the ball!"

Ah I see. Maybe I should read the manual next time before playing! I usually do, I probably didn't because I was busy at the time.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 12:14 Edited at: 9th Jul 2007 12:17
@ Benjamin:
Slow ball:
1. In some cases (mostly when the balls min. speed is set to a high value) the ball gets "stuck" a bit and it seems like it stays at it's place, but I put a "help-force" into the game that pushes it towards the user, if the ball hits the arena 14 times in a row. I addmit that sometimes it can take a while to reach the "bar-area" to give the ball a different direction. (Finetuning might be necessary here!)
2. If you try to play the game with many boxes ("Box-Size" lower than 15) and all the graphic-effects turned on the game gets slower and also its physics! Only way right now to solve this is to set a higher "min. Ball-Speed", so the ball moves faster (but in the endeffect at the same speed as without all the effects)!

Slow-down with all graphics turned on:
I also recognized the effect that the game gets slower, when the graphic-effects are enabled. Normally the auto-timing-method should minimize this effect or a value for the constant-timing lower than 1/60s. But if all this doesn't help, it's still possible to give the ball a faster speed at startup by useing the "min. Ball-Speed"-option in the "Game-Play-Menu"!
I used the "sync on"-command together with the "sync"-command, cause it offered the best performance!

Maybe you can give me an example how to use this "timer-based movement" with DP? I'm open for this, if it can lower the effect even further!

Thanks for your comments

Hoozer

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2007 16:59
Its a good concept, but Id say its still in WIP. The graphics dont match each other in terms of style, and they dont really match the gameplay either. I'd imagine this should be cartoonish, with bright colours, a better paddle design, etc.

Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2007 13:02
@ RUCCUS: I will think it over, maybe someday I put something optional in, that changes the appearance to cartoonish and/or some other style!
Although I think it's just a matter of personal taste, some people like this some like that.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Hoozer

Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2007 14:19
I really like the concept you have chosen to the 3D breakout game; even though I was never a big fan of the breakout games. Just seeing the screen shots is going to make me download it and try it out. It looks like a great effort.

Making nothing for the forth straight year.

Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2007 15:32 Edited at: 16th Jul 2007 15:32
@ DBoy780: I hope you enjoy game and the download was worth it! If you like beating High-Scores then this game might be interesting, although a bit of "settings-tweaking" might be necessary to find out how it performs best on your machine! (That's why you have so many options to adjust the game-behaviour!)

If you have any ideas to improve it, just say so and I will have a look at it (once I have some more time again)!

Hoozer

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:00:50
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:00:50