Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / FPSC Interactive Items & Characters Script Pack

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2007 02:34 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 05:11
I decided to put together a bunch of scripts that sort out the standard 'how to make my game more interactive' stuff.

Therefore this might help out some people who don't have much scripting experience to make their game more interesting fairly quickly when used in conjunction with the existing default FPSC scripts.

- takeitem.fpi

This script is a bread and butter walk up to an object, prompt to press enter, then confirmation prompt obtained item with sound. This script uses default FPSC huds and sound so can be used without use of custom media with good effect.

- viewitem.fpi

This script is a walk up to object and display hud until player moves away from object again. Ideal for getting a close up of that wall mounted picture, map or other interesting article.

- useitem.fpi

This is for those random objects that you should really be able to do something with e.g. piano, phone etc. Walk up to object, prompt to press enter, sound file is played.

- objectives.fpi

For those multitasking levels, walk up to object, prompted to press enter, objectives appear indefinately until enter in pressed again. Place multiple objects in level to be really kind.

- npctalk.fpi

For those that like a little company in their game. A script to enable conversations with ingame characters. Ideal for obtaining useful information or to drive storylines.

- switchcode.fpi

A script to force a 4 digit code to be entered before door will open using the keyboard num pad.

- poisonitem.fpi - {Edit-added this script to download pack}

For misleading items or cunning traps, walk up to object, prompted 'press enter to use', press enter, player loses 10 health, hurt hud is displayed, hurt sound is played. Works with stock media so no custom media required, just apply to ai main of chosen dynamic entity.

- entity destroyed decal - {Edit-added this script to download pack}

Player shoots dynamic entity until destroyed, entity explodes, decal appears in place of a destroyed entity. Ideal for destroying flammable objects and leaving a trail of flames in your wake. Can also be adapted for non explosive objects.

Credits

Thanks to Conjured Entertainment for authoring the objectives script
Thanks to Benjamin Aeilkema and Trotter for authoring the conversation script
Thanks to Xplosys for authoring the switch code script
Thanks to Butterfingers for authoring the decal script

I've made a few tweaks mainly to ensure they all use the 'enter' key as I like the resident evil 4 dynamic of having a single action button to initiate interactive elements. I've also changed the player proximity to make the collision a little tighter.

Notes

Each of these scripts use the default FPSC 'pressentertouse' hud for prompting an interactive item so custom media only needs to be made where there is a 2nd+ hud specified in the fpi.

All objects (entities) which use these scripts must be made 'dynamic' in order to work and AI main set to desired script.

Installation

Full instruction details are documented in the download pack 'read me' file so I won't make this post any longer by repeating them.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2007 02:39 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 05:10
Here is a video demonstrating each of the above 8 scripts being used.

I've arranged a number of dynamic entites and added the scripts with some custom media to give people some ideas and to show the many possibilities FPSC provides.

Have fun and I hope some people find this pack useful.

Nomad Soul

Attachments

Snipesoul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2007 03:48
Wow, now this is very useful! Thanks for posting these! To enable dynamic shadows, did you watch this video that I made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiBJWSOhec0 ? Heh, I know you probably figured it out yourself maybe. BTW love the robot chatting one the best!
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2007 11:38
Nomad Soul

Thanks very much for these scripts, I will check them out when I get the time.
These will help FPSCreator become a much more interesting program for making games.

All the very best
HELP for FPS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2007 15:47

so im just wondering, im using FPS. and there are entities that would add health to the user. so im thinking, how can i inverse the whole thing? like instead of adding health to the user, health is deducted.

can great minds please help me with this?

please please please???

thanks

you live, you'll learn.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 17th Sep 2007 16:22
Nomad Soul,

Very good idea and package for those beginning to script. Sometimes, it's just a matter of getting the player involved that puts one game above another, and too many shy away from scripting it in.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 01:42 Edited at: 18th Sep 2007 02:11
Quote: "Wow, now this is very useful! Thanks for posting these! To enable dynamic shadows, did you watch this video that I made?"

Your welcome. I did know about this before but saw your video when first released and liked it. i'm sure many others were pleasantly suprised.

Quote: "Thanks very much for these scripts, I will check them out when I get the time."

No problem, i hope you get some use from them.

Quote: "there are entities that would add health to the user. so im thinking how can i inverse the whole thing? like instead of adding health to the user, health is deducted."

I've attached an additional script to this post for you and updated main pack download with:

- poisonitem.fpi

for misleading items or cunning traps, walk up to object, prompted 'press enter to use', press enter, player loses 10 health, hurt hud is displayed, hurt sound is played. Turned out this works ok with stock media so no custom media required, just apply to ai main of chosen dynamic entity.

Quote: "Very good idea and package for those beginning to script. Sometimes, it's just a matter of getting the player involved that puts one game above another, and too many shy away from scripting it in."

Thanks xplosys. I completely agree. It can definately give a game an edge when you feel more a part of the environment around you. I've just starting writing FPSC scripts so I hope this will encourage other people to do the same.

Attachments

Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2007 16:17
Mega-valuable!!!!!!!

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman
Snipesoul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 01:00
Yeah! Because of this, FPS Creator is becoming more like "RPG Creator!"
Leaning Objects To The Side
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 02:31 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 02:31
Thanks for the scripts Nomad Soul . You did a really good job.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 05:18
Thanks All

Here is another addition to the pack which I've noticed some people have asked for.

- entity destroyed decal

Player shoots dynamic entity until destroyed, entity explodes, decal appears in place of destroyed entity. Ideal for destroying flammable objects and leaving a trail of flames in your wake. Can also be adapted for non explosive and other objects.

Download for both required scripts and instructions attached to this post. Also updated main pack download and video demonstration.

Attachments

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
mice work on the pack some usefull stuff here.

Best s4real

Many thanks
Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 15:56
Thanks alot, this will be very useful!!

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 18:29
These are great! I hope this collection grows.

"he is coming!..." - WIP in 'Showcase'

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 08:47:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 08:47:07