Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / DarkIDE For DBC 1.2 - Demo Download

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2007 20:41 Edited at: 1st Oct 2007 22:36
[Edit] To keep download sizes smaller, only the first download is the full version so you need to download that first. (The main download post has been highlighted below).

All following downloads will be the main program exe only, so you can just download the latest exe (approx 400K) and overwrite the current DarkIDE.exe file whenever a new version is released.

A while back I started writing an IDE for DBC - based on the one for DBPro.

Based on DarkEdit, like the DBPro IDE it also uses projects and a few people downloaded it and had a play back then. In fact, one or two still use it despite it not being finished.

I've decided to revisit the project and I'm working on it again, though now it's officially called DarkIDE.

I'm currently adding a media browser and looking for DarkEdit users who would be interested in using DarkIDE as official testers.

Essentially, you place the cursor on a line, right click and select the Media Browser. You then get to select media files (with a preview) and when you've found the one you want, a button will insert the correct line of code into the program for you.

It has a number of other options not found in DarkEdit:

* Split code window: You can view two parts of the same DBA file and can copy/paste between them.

* Automatic indentation (DBA Tidy is built in!)

* #Include files also loaded with the main source file

* Nested loop error location

* Extra commands

* Insert code templates - like For..Next loops

* Permanent #include files

and much more...

If you are seriously interested in testing it and reporting errors, please make yourself known here.

No time wasters please!

TDK_Man

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2007 23:02
Quote: "* Automatic indentation (DBA Tidy is built in!)"

Sweet.
Sound's like another good'n!

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 01:00 Edited at: 18th Sep 2007 01:01
Quote: "* Extra commands"

buh?

Can you PLEASE make it so one can collapse functions and labels and loops and stuff into one line, I think DBPro has this for functions, so extending it would be awesome

I'll test it if you like

Quote: "* Automatic indentation (DBA Tidy is built in!)"

If you do not vish to indent, VE VILL MAKE YOU INDENT!

In programming, nothing exists
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 01:28
Quote: "If you do not vish to indent, VE VILL MAKE YOU INDENT!"

Not at all - it's an tool option you have to use manually.

TDK_Man

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 04:58 Edited at: 18th Sep 2007 05:04
I like the DBA Tidy built in... now I can free up some hard-drive space, AND I don't have to load DBA Tidy every time I feel like tidying my code!! BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd be happy to test it out
BTW, how do you make these applications?

The only thing I don't like about DBC is that everything is so dark! What about LightBASIC? lol

how do you make a sig?
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 18:30 Edited at: 18th Sep 2007 18:30
Can I test it too please?

@Sinani
Quote: "The only thing I don't like about DBC is that everything is so dark!"

I actually quite like it like that...

On our way 'ome, on our way 'ome...
Garfield rules
Years of Service
User Offline
I loved your original IDE, so of course I'll test this one.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2007 23:32
Quote: "The only thing I don't like about DBC is that everything is so dark!"

The Editor?
Yeah it sucks, no scrolling and stupid futuristic scrollbars! Very gimmicky

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 18:47
Quote: "Yeah it sucks, no scrolling and stupid futuristic scrollbars! Very gimmicky"

I quite like the orginal IDE, but these points are very true.
About time The Game Creators did something about that.

Our home is our world, our life, home is our world...
Homeworld: The ladder
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 19:47
Hi TDK,
I am interested in helping you out.
At the moment I am hyped on updating old projects of mine written in DBC, and in order to do that I need an IDE that will fit my needs. So far your old mini IDE has most of the features I am looking for.

Will it be possible to (unless already implemented) have a "tape" feature in the IDE? (see example in codebox below.)
Or by "based on the one for DBPro" you mean that you have/will have a "included files" panel?

I allways afraided from a clowns. aww..
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 20:32
Isn't that the same as including files?

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 21:18
If you were referring to #include then no.
the TAPE command would be able to hold any kind of commands, not just functions.

The reason for that is because on compiling, the IDE would take the content from a file and place it on the line where the TAPE command is held.

For example:

would become

I allways afraided from a clowns. aww..
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 01:49
Quote: "Or by "based on the one for DBPro" you mean that you have/will have a "included files" panel?"

Yes, there is a project panel which includes a section for #Includes files.

It also has something I have called 'Permanent Includes'.

This means you can put often used functions into .DBA files in the functions folder and they will always be included in every project you start.

There's also a section where you can create your own commands.

When you load a .DBA file in with an associated project file which has #Includes, they are all accessible from the source drop-down box so you can switch between them at will.

You've also got the ability to split any code window and view two different sections of the same program.

There are also a lot of code templates so if you want say a For Next loop, you enter the variable name, the start and end numbers and the IDE will paste the code for the whole code block into your program.

RGB() and colour code values are pasted in via a colour picker accessed from the right click pop-up menu.

The toolbox allows you to auto indent the complete program at any time and another option scans your code and tells you where your nesting errors are.

The Media Browser lets you browse media, view images, listen to sounds and music or watch AVI video and when you've found what you are looking for, the IDE copies the file into your project folder then inserts the complete loading code line into your program.

Loads more - just can't remember them all now...

TDK_Man

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 07:04 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2007 07:05
@TDK
sounds great
I'm looking forward to this
I don't understand how you seem to start a project, then carry on working till it's finished, I can never do that lol
I get side-tracked or bored OR, I have a pretty good feeling for when I know there is a better way of doing something but I don't know it yet (if you understand what I mean) so maybe I should study more
that's why I stopped the 3D with 2D commands thing.

@ALL
is there a more advanced book for DBC than the Beginners Guide?

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 15:37
Quote: "I don't understand how you seem to start a project, then carry on working till it's finished"

The answer:

http://www.computechtenerife.com/forum/index.php/topic,177.0.html

TDK_Man

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 18:59 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2007 19:17
oh so i gotta register for the answer
haha I don't mind

haha, look at my code: ******1ee7

I spose you're right, it's a hobby after all.
Dang I thought you were gonna have some brilliant strategy for how to pull off big projects
I think the trick is modularising everything so that you can make little bits of your game that can be spliced together later
the problem is I get bored easily
My first BIIG project idea was a mafia simulation: well i say that but it was more of a simulation of an entire city in the 30's, you could get a job and had to transport good and use things together to make other things. HUGE! I had some great ideas though and hope I can fit them into smaller games wasted over a year on that idea
I now have two big projects lined up: The Godfather, and Hitman. Although they are still big they aren't ridiculous like my other one was
I've been setting myself challenges like making a snake game in 1 hour, took me about twice as long but I got it working (harder than you'd think)

luke810
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2007 04:20
I'll try it out also if you still want more people. How close are you to needing testing?
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2007 04:23
me too. i love testing
Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2007 02:56
I will be willing to test. No promise that I will be able to use it to much, considering I have school, weekends I am always to busy, and After school activities... And I am a complete newb to DB. But I shall try!

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Id be willing to test, I'm working on a project right now, and a new ide would be great, plus I have a lot of time so id be able to bug test and etc.

Your about to get pwned.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2007 22:56
bug testing is boring as hell but I'm willing if it means we get a good editor for DBC (apart from DBEdit)

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2007 01:42 Edited at: 1st Oct 2007 22:28
DOWNLOAD THIS ZIP FIRST! ALL OTHERS WILL BE THE MAIN EXE ONLY

DarkIDE V0.1a

Download: DarkIDE V0.1a

Installation:

None. Simply download the above zip file and copy it into the same folder as your DB.EXE file is located.

Unzip and you will (should) see a new folder called DarkIDE. Create a shortcut for the DarkIDE.exe file you should find inside this new folder.

When you run it, the first thing you should do is set the options using the options button (third from the right on the button panel).

Just have a play with it.

*** WARNING ***

Please make a backup of your important DBA project directories. If DarkIDE loses any of your data while testing it out and you didn't have a backup, it's your fault not mine. If you use DarkIDE you are agreeing to this fact.

TDK_Man

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2007 01:46
what does the IDE look like? I won't have my own computer til my birthday at the end of october so I can't download it, but I must confess I'm quite intrigued to see what it looks like...

http://jamesmason01.googlepages.com/index.htm
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2007 01:49
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2007 01:53
sexy as...

what did you make it in?

http://jamesmason01.googlepages.com/index.htm
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2007 16:03 Edited at: 1st Oct 2007 16:18
I changed the tab space size but it only worked for line that didn't already start with space, the lines afterwards and any new lines reverted back to double spacing.

There is no hint (little comment that pops up?) for the Program Options & File Locations button.

I tried this code in a window and it worked perfectly

ran the same code in a window without title bar and it worked but was below the editor (inactive).

why is there a checkbox next to Installed Extra Commands > ScreenSelectMode ? It doesn't seem to make any difference

Great work TDK, there's a lot more to this than I was expecting

why is

Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2007 19:33 Edited at: 1st Oct 2007 19:36
I like it. I just now tested it, and I like how you can change the screen size without going in and typing it out. (Even though it is only one line.) I like the Dark Basic Pro layout. Is there a way to automatically setting the screen size so you do not have to go in and change it all the time? I like to have mine in 1024X768X32 when I make games, dunno why. I like the beginning REM's, it makes life so much easier. The double windows are great, that makes editing so much faster. The "Permenent Include Files" and the "Include .DBA Files For This Project" are awesome, makes things easier, once again. If you keep on going like this, you are going to make us lazy! Good work none the less. Hope to see more updates soon.

**Edit**
Oh, also, you should allow us to tab on the top window, each time I press tab, it goes down and highlights the Functions box....

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2007 21:16
@TDK
are you using Command line string to set the window mode?

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2007 21:19
Thanks for the feedback.

As you will discover, there's a lot that doesn't work yet and any minor things you report I'll sort out asap. Major things will take a little longer...

I'm also happy for you to suggest additions to the IDE but can't guarantee they will make it in the finished version.

But for now, there's two things that need testing - the core functionality and as mentioned in the OP, the media browser:

Does it compile and run all your programs OK? (Don't forget to only work on backups of your projects).

With the media browser, highlight a line in your program and then click the right mouse button for the pop-up.

Thanks...

TDK_Man

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2007 22:25
DarkIDE V0.1b:

Sorted tabs problem in top window, added missing pop-up hint and fixed a couple of other things.

Also, now it's 'out of the bag', I can mention that DarkIDE was meant to be used with Dark Basic V1.2 which Ron has been working on for a while. So, it knows about highlighting the new commands.

*** Important Note ***

Anyone who wants to try this IDE should download the full program using the first download link above (darkide.zip). All subsequent downloads will be the main IDE exe only and will NOT work without the other files.

Download DarkIDE Exe Only (470K)

TDK_Man

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 04:25
Quote: "what did you make it in?"

I wonder that too... except I think he made in in C# probably... or possibly DBPro!

how do you make a sig?
luke810
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 06:34
I just downloaded it so I'm going to test it out. Also, congratulations on getting your IDE mentioned in the October newsletter.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 07:00
Quote: "what did you make it in?"

Sorry - missed that question. The answer is Delphi.

Quote: "are you using Command line string to set the window mode?"

The IDE has a pre-parser and can write it's own DB code which is inserted into the .DBA file before it's passed to the compiler.

Using that method allows me to add things like setting the display mode, global variables as well as // and {} for comments.

I have a number of ideas I want to try and implement like that.

Anyone had any problems with the media browser?

TDK_Man

luke810
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2007 03:21
How do you use the media browser?
I get the error message:

Quote: "d3dx9_39.dll was not found"

I'm going to try reinstalling it to see if it will work then.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi TDK,

Nice application you got going there! I downloaded the recent version and tested it out a bit. I'm including a text file that you can download and take a look at. This is just my preliminary observations on functionality and hopefully is helpful to you. If I have some more time I'll play with it some more. I mention the tabs - it applies to the bottom window, I actually haven't tested the top window yet. Keep up the good work!

Enjoy your day.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2007 22:36
Hi TDK, sorry I've been a while getting back to you, but I had to code an application for a friend in just a few days and it drove everything else from my mind.

First let me say what a stunning program this - the split screen code window is a brilliant idea. I really like your code templates section, too - tons better than DarkEDIT.

A couple of minor points, really - the Program Options "Editor Colours" tab is locked into DefaultDB and you can't change it (is it possible to assign your own custom colour scheme the way you can in DarkEDIT?)

The settings tab in the Project Panel has an inactive checkbox or "Insert 'ask user' code" - what does it do, and how do you get to use it?

I don't think the "Scan for Nested Loop Errors" feature works - it keeps saying that this code has no problems:

A bit of a major bug here, I think - the Check Syntax doesn't seem to return any compiler errors. Just about anything else I write that's in error highlights the line (give or take a line) but gives the message "Syntax Chgeck: OK!"

This code, for example:

correctly highlights line 6 (the endif), so the error's pretty obvious, but displays the message "Syntax check: OK!".

Haven't been able to test the Media browser at all, unfortunately, as I only have DirectX 9.0 installed and not 9.0c (what a difference a letter makes...)

Just out of curiosity, though - would it be possible for you to introduce Context Sensitive Help in your IDE? I really miss that from DBC's built in editor, as it made it so much quicker and easier for me to find out what the commands meant, or to work out what parmeters I'd missed out...

Hope this helps.
Regards, RTR

On our way 'ome, on our way 'ome...
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 00:43
Quote: "is it possible to assign your own custom colour scheme the way you can in DarkEDIT?"

It will be.

Quote: "The settings tab in the Project Panel has an inactive checkbox or "Insert 'ask user' code" - what does it do, and how do you get to use it?"

When it's done it will put a box on the screen displaying the available full-screen modes and lets the user select which one they want to use.

It's basically this built-in:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=95351&b=6

Quote: "I don't think the "Scan for Nested Loop Errors" feature works"

It doesn't. ATM it only looks for code block ends and doesn't differentiate between Loop, Endif or Endwhile so I'll look into that.

Quote: "Context Sensitive Help"

It's on my list, but it's looking like the component I am using for the editor window has a bug in that department. Unfortunately the company who made it no longer exist so it's not going to get fixed.

If I can't find a work-around I'm going to have to switch to using a different component.

Quote: "the Check Syntax doesn't seem to return any compiler errors"

I'll look at that too.

@Latch

Checking your text file out...

TDK_Man

Pixelator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 00:57
@TDK

GREAT editor seeing as it is in very early stages. One thing i noticed is that alot of the variables don't get recognized as variables if their name is long. Also, a few commands don't get highlighted as commands. The only one of those i found is Printc.

Other than that it is really great, and i have completely gone off the old editor, for editing that is. As there are no help files in the Ide, i have to have both DarkBasic and the Dark Ide running at the same time, but speed isn't a problem for me when i do that beacuse i have a dual-core cpu with sweet graphics and the works. And a BIG moniter

Maryville Game Developers
Visit our website at http://www.freewebs.com/maryville-game-developers/index.htm
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 09:04
Printc isn't a documented command so I've not included it - or any others that fall into the same category. They could be removed at any time.

Quote: "As there are no help files in the Ide, i have to have both DarkBasic and the Dark Ide running at the same time"

If you run DarkEdit you can open the help files with F1 then close DarkEdit leaving the help files open if that's any help (pun unintended).

I'll look at implementing some form of help in the next couple of days...

TDK_Man

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2007 16:01
Your highlighting doesn't seem to work properly
"mouse" is a highlighted word and so is "position" even when on their own.
can't you include spaces in command names?
here are some strange highlighted words

I kept having a highlight problem with Darkedit for brackets

but it stays highlighted in DarkIDE
why aren't the parentheses highlighted?

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2007 22:41
The highlighting is down to the component used in the IDE. The problem is that any bugs with highlighting are not down to the writer of the IDE, but the writer of the component. I can't fix the bits that are wrong.

I use a different component to the one Guy used with DarkEdit and some things that work OK in the one I use don't work in the one Guy used - and vice-versa.

Unfortunately, they all seem to have something wrong with them in so much as they all do different things slightly wrong. There's no one component yet that does everything the way we want it to. For example, one that highlights everything correctly may not have function folding and one that does may have a problem with highlighting some of DB's commands.

Having said that, I'm looking into an alternative.

TDK_Man

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 00:50 Edited at: 11th Oct 2007 00:53
@TDK

A workaround when using language definition files, or a syntax highlighter, is to define ( and ) as operators or something similar that can be recognized as a single character with or without trailing and leading spaces. Also, define things that have a parentheses such as the X in OBJECT POSITION X(num) as X( . Set the operators to be the same color as the keywords, that way, all paretheses will have a color and the closing parenthese on a keyword such as OBJECT POSITION X() will be the same color as the keyword. This also allows a disassociation with the single characters x, y, z, a, b, c, d, e, and mouse and whatever other individual names that aren't keywords per se.

This isn't the best programatic solution, but it is a quick fix.

Enjoy your day.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 13:54 Edited at: 11th Oct 2007 13:55
that sounds good latch, if it is possible.
Again I know nothing about this but could you define commands like
Get Time$() as Get_Time$() or something so that the editor wouldn't treat the space in between as a "real" space but just part of the command name?
[edit]
I'm not saying that the user would have to type the underscore but only the IDE would recognise it as part of the name not a space.

luke810
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 05:48 Edited at: 12th Oct 2007 05:51
You mean commands like Set Display Mode(x,y,z) could be typed Set_Display_Mode(z,y,z)? Wouldn't that mess with people's programs if they had used a function like Set_Display_Mode(z,y,z) that they used to set the display mode and performed certain calculations for their game?

Edit: Unless you're talking about the fact that "time$" isn't highlighted like "bitmap" in "load bitmap" is?
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@TDK

Have you had a chance to work on this any more?

Enjoy your day.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 7th Nov 2007 02:42 Edited at: 7th Nov 2007 02:55
TDK--this is awesome!
I love the interface, and all of the options in it...and it compiled my code perfectly, and successfully ran it from the DBC core.
Absolutely fantastic software.
Thanks for taking the time to make it!

EDIT: It also built an executable perfectly. I'm definitely keeping this. DarkIDE is perfect. Thanks again!
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2007 04:16
@TDK
are you still working on this?
I'd like to see a context sensitive help function; like the default DBCE does, can you do that?

"You must be someone's friend to make comments about them." - MySpace lied.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2007 04:56
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2007 16:05
Awesome
This is going to be the best editor around!
One small thing I don't like about DarkIDE is that you can see a small portion of the split window when you start up, I think it should be invisible until you drag down the edge of the editor window or something.

It's annoying how people post about 100% of the things they don't like and 20% of the things they do like.

"You must be someone's friend to make comments about them." - MySpace lied.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Feb 2008 17:56
I have found a bug...
sometimes when trying to execute the program it flashes an error message with a lot of numbers and then you have no choice but to CTR+ALT+DEL and End Task. It's kind of unstable, in other words.
Other than that, it works great!

Thanks to BigAdd for the incredibly awesome sig!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 03:08:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 03:08:49