Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Installation & Wizards

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2007 11:17
In most cases the installation process has worked but for other individuals a few problems have been reported, in particular issues with the Wizards not being shown.

If you have encountered this issue please can you assist us in solving it. It will be useful to know the following:

Are you running in administrator mode?

Are you using XP or Vista?

Can you check the registry. Look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\The Game Creators\Dark GDK. Do you see the key for INSTALL_PATH. Is this pointing to the correct location?

Go to My Documents\Visual Studio 2008 e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008. Do you see folders called Dark GDK and Wizards. If so what are the contents of these folders?

Go to the Tools directory of your installation e.g. C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Tools. Run Wizards.exe. Does this program run? Can you now go back to My Documents\Visual Studio 2008. Has the contents of this folder changed?
sigi
Years of Service
User Offline
1) Yes
2) XP Servicepack 2
3) Yes
4) No
5) program runs? = Yes / has the content changed ? = No

AMD Athlon64 X2 4600 / 2 GH Ram / Geforce 6800 Ultra / WinXP Home SP2 / DX 9.c
Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2007 19:30
I got the exact same results as sigi.. Too bad that it doesn't work

I am awesome and always right.
Tout En Masm
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,
Same results with XP SP2
Was installed first,directx 9.0c in C:\DXSDK (defaut in my country france).
The installer failed to find the directx SDK.
I have made the Instal of dark sdk without the wizard in vc++.
The projects can't be compiled because:

Quote: "

basic3D.lib(DBOMesh.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _D3DXCleanMesh@24 referenced in function "bool __cdecl MakeLODMeshFromMesh(struct sMesh *,int,struct sMesh * *)" (?MakeLODMeshFromMesh@@YA_NPAUsMesh@@HPAPAU1@@Z)
system.lib(dxdiaginfo.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _CLSID_DxDiagProvider referenced in function "public: long __thiscall CDxDiagInfo::Init(int)" (?Init@CDxDiagInfo@@QAEJH@Z)
system.lib(dxdiaginfo.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDxDiagProvider referenced in function "public: long __thiscall CDxDiagInfo::Init(int)" (?Init@CDxDiagInfo@@QAEJH@Z)
"

I have added manually the d3dx9.lib,but no more result ??!.
I have tried many things founds in this forum but no more result.

Register key is ok with good path.
Files for the wizard are present in:
C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards
The tools "wizard" and "paths" don't seem to do anything.

I see in the instal doc that defaut path for sdk directx is not the same in another country,perhaps it is the reason of all problems.

How can I change this path for a normal instal of the dark GDK ?
Jake Fin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 13:08
Same results as sigi ...
Is there any matter is DX sdk latest, because i have old one.
Jake Fin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 15:59
As i look installation folder there is no files.
Also mydocuments/visualstudio 2008 dont have wizards folder.
There is no errors at installation.

My Windows is installed at D drive and GDK is at C drive.
installer first creates My Documents\MSDN\Game Creators Dark GDK\Dark GDK - 161107.exe
Thats correct place.

Is there any possibilites that VS2008 Beta 2 settings mixes VC2008 express settings. Express seems to work fine ?

Jake Fin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 08:14
Hi,
Now it's working tips were at: Dark GDK / No Wizards in Visual C++ Express.
I did not do any folder mappings to vs c++, only copyed wizard files to \\..\\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Wizards\
from D:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards\Files
Now there should be 9 files at \\..\\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Wizards\
There is 3 files wichneeds to be edited at My docume........

Edited Dark GDK - 2D Game.vsz --> Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = D:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards\Projects\Dark GDK - 2D Game\Dark GDK - 2D Game"

Edited Dark GDK - 3D Game.vsz --> Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = D:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards\Projects\Dark GDK - 3D Game\Dark GDK - 3D Game"

Edited Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = D:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards\Projects\Dark GDK - Game\Dark GDK - Game"

That did do it to me. IT WORKS !!!!!!
Tom84
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I guess I have managed.
(Windows XP SP2 (Hungarian!))

I started copying:

C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards\Files\

what:
*.*

to:

C:\Documents and Settings\(MyName)\Dokumentumok\Visual Studio 2008
\Wizards

(Wizards wasn't there, i created it)

(Yes, I guess "Dokumentumok" part is the troubled one! its "My Documents" for you m8)

then i looked into one of the ".vsz" files, and found:

C:\Documents and Settings\(MyName)\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Dark GDK\Dark GDK - 2D Game\Dark GDK - 2D Game"

so:

I created the above location (I did'nt have My Documents before, yes, its "Dokumentumok" for me.) and

C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards\Projects\

copied the 3 subfolders under.

now, it's all working fine for me.

hope i could help, and sorry for my English...
Tout En Masm
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,
I have only the very last directx of december 08.
install of dark gdk don't recognize this one.
I provide here the register keys.
If someone can provide the register keys of the august 08 version,this will be enough to avoid the reload of directx sdk (more than 400 Mo).
Thanks for answer

Quote: "
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectX
InstalledVersion 00 00 00 09 00 00 00 00
Version 4.09.00.0904
"
tempicek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2007 12:25
Hello, there's no Wizards section in VC++2008 for me too.

I am using Vista 32bit and the problem is that the installer placed the files into this location:

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\

but my Documents folder is set to a custom location, so even VS2008 files are located elsewhere.

I copied all files to proper location, however this wasn't the only problem:

The installer made a special folder in my Start|All Programs group, even if I changed this setting during the install. Strange, but ok, I can change this...

A bigger problem with the wizard. I wanted to create 3D game project and the wizards says:
"Default.js or default.vbs not found in C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\..."
Note that my account name is really *not* Mike!

I didn't know about Dark GDK before release of MSVS2008, so when I saw it I thought "wow! this looks nice"... now I see that it has its sides...
Guys, the instllation experience is terrible! This doesn't present itself as a professional stuff.

Is there any quick fix at least?
dps
Years of Service
User Offline
I have the same problem : no wizard entry in the New Project Dialog in VC++ 2008 Express.
The only difference is that I have no files at all in the ..\Wizards folder !?
Is there a way to get them from somewhere ?
MikeyK65
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2007 16:22
I installed it yesterday and it worked fine!
I installed VS2008 C++ edition 1st.
Then I ran the DarkGDK.msi. Took me a few moments to realise it was actually only installing the setup, so i double clicked on the .exe to really install GDK.
Then restarted my PC.

And it was fine - all wizards ok.

I am running XP Pro SP2 in admin mode.

Cheers
Mike
Sabo
Years of Service
User Offline
Running in admin mode.

Using Vista Business 64-bit.

The INSTALL_PATH is pointing to the correct location. The key is located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\The Game Creators\Dark GDK though, if that matters.

I see both folders. Dark GDK contains the same files are found at Dark GDK\Wizards\Project. The Wizards folder contains the same nine files as are found at Dark GDK\Wizards\Files.

The folders were already there. I don't know if they were there initially since I saw some other thread here in which you suggested that we ran Wizards.exe, which I did.
Dark Markus
Years of Service
User Offline
I have done the Wizards Thing but the Dark GDK- 3D game won't start because default.js can't be found.

Please help!
tempicek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 19:00
Quote: "I have done the Wizards Thing but the Dark GDK- 3D game won't start because default.js can't be found."

The same for me! Any comments from devs?
Ariemeth
Years of Service
User Offline
I had to copy the wizard files into the path of my visual studio 2008 directory. Like others I am getting the cannot find C:\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Dark GDK\Dark GDK - 2D Game\Dark GDK - 2D Game\Scripts\1033\default.js. The problem with this is that my documents folder is located on the P drive with a path of p:\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Dark GDK\Dark GDK - 2D Game\Dark GDK - 2D Game\Scripts\1033. Not sure how to go about fixing this in the project folders but I am assuming the wizard projects were coded with a hard path to the c:\my documents folder. Anyone else with this issue have thier my documents folder in a different location?
Dark Markus
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I have done the Wizards Thing but the Dark GDK- 3D game won't start because default.js can't be found.
"

Now I can find the default.js file in the correct folder but Visual C++ 2008 cannot. Why? It's there! ( I suppose .js means JScript Script File)

Does the developers know anything about it?

Please Help!
CronosGDL
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 17:46
Dark GDK Wizards don't appear in my Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition instalation ???

on windows vista home edtion
Zumwalt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 18:24
XP PRO SP2 All windows patches.
Install order:
C++ 2008 Express
Ran 2008, exited application
August 2007 DX SDK Full Install (NOT REDIST VERSION! IMPORTANT)
Ran 2008 again, checked to make sure libraries and headers were correct for the SDK and removed all other references to older DX SDK's in the lists, exited applicaiton.
Ran Dark GDK.MSI
Ran 2008 again, verfied all settings.
Created new project using Dark GDK templates, all worked.

It is extremely important that you install August 2007 SDK Full install, I guarantee that the Dark GDK will NOT work without this being the ONLY DX SDK in the list for headers and libraries.
Dark Markus
Years of Service
User Offline
Zumwalt, what libraries and headers are correct for SDK, please list them!
tempicek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 20:37
Quote: "XP PRO SP2 All windows patches.
Install order:
C++ 2008 Express
Ran 2008, exited application
August 2007 DX SDK Full Install (NOT REDIST VERSION! IMPORTANT)
Ran 2008 again, checked to make sure libraries and headers were correct for the SDK and removed all other references to older DX SDK's in the lists, exited applicaiton.
Ran Dark GDK.MSI
Ran 2008 again, verfied all settings.
Created new project using Dark GDK templates, all worked.

It is extremely important that you install August 2007 SDK Full install, I guarantee that the Dark GDK will NOT work without this being the ONLY DX SDK in the list for headers and libraries."

The problem is not connected to DX SDK. It's the installer which makes wrong assumptions and places files to wrong locations. In my case it is looking for "C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\" folder, which *can not* be on my computer because there's no Mike account there. I think the problem is pretty clear, so we just need a working installer
Dan Woolley
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 01:34
Hi guys, I hope this helps,

I'm running in admin mode in Vista Home Premium
Reg key was correct and files were present in C:\users\my docs...etc as they should be.
What i found though is that they were in mydocs\visual studio 8 and when I looked in the options for visual c++ it was still set to look at mydocs\visual studio codename orcas for its templates and project files which is from the beta version i had installed previously.

Now I copied the files into the orcas folder and it now all works but i guess you could just set visual studio to look at the new studio 8 folder. Personaly i already had plenty of things in the orcas folder so it made sense for me to continue to use it.

Hope some find success with this too.
Thanks
Dan

Dan
Dark Markus
Years of Service
User Offline
when I search for default.js I get 3 results.

1, C:\Program\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards\Projects\Dark GDK - 2D Game\Dark GDK - 2D Game\Scripts\1033

2, C:\Program\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards\Projects\Dark GDK - 3D Game\Dark GDK - 3D Game\Scripts\1033

3, C:\Program\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards\Projects\Dark GDK - Game\Dark GDK - Game\Scripts\1033

And according to the error message it's in these locations that default.js can't be found

I don' get it, there all there!

What is wrong?

anyone know anything about it please help!
thomasb
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi

Here is my findings when trying to install the GDK.

The answers to Mike's five questions above for my machine is

1) Yes
2) XP Servicepack 2, swedish
3) Yes
4) No

What I found out is that since I'm running a swedish/localised operating system where the 'My Documents'-folder is named 'Mina Dokument' nothing gets installed under the VS2008 directory.
I created a 'My Documents' folder in my user directory and copied the VS2008 directory from 'Mina Dokument' to this new directory and then manually copied the files for GDK wizards.
After fixing the paths in VC++ as per the installation document everthing worked.

This suggests to me that the installer doesn't take into account localisec versions of Windows.

Hope this helps somenone getting the GDK to work.

Best regards

Thomas
mountain man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 21:04
I have just installed DARK GDK.I had no problems.Eveything works fine.I first installed visual c++ 2008 express edition.Then I installed directx 9.0c sdk (aug 2007).restarted computer then started visual c++ 2008 express edition.I let it run for the first time and registered it. then closed it.Then installed DARK GDK.
For the questions(so everyone knows ):
1)no
2)xp pro sp 2
3)yes
4)yes: Dark GDK - 2D Game,Dark GDK - 3D Game,Dark GDK - Game
5)no need to
Now all I need to do is learn C++.This is going to be fun.throwing myself out in front of train.I will be checking this forum first then, I will be asking question.
Moonside
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

I have no problem running the installation wizard, but I have two questions.

1) Dark GDK says I do not have DirectX SDK August 2007 installed, but I installed the November 2007 version. Does it matter that I have the latest version?

2) Dark GDK asks me if I have ran the Visual C++ compiler, and I'm pretty sure I haven't. How do I do this? I just started C++ and really want to try out Dark GDK because it looks like a great program.

Thanks in advance.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2007 00:59
I get the same result as sigi (running on a French version of WinXP). I'm curious to know if the wizards install properly for anyone with a non-English version of Windows. As someone already said, perhaps the problem could be related to the fact that the "My Documents" folder is called something different in each different language version.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Moonside
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I think I got the installation working.

I've opened a Dark GDK 2D Game and looked at all the code. I built the project, but I get this error:

1>------ Build started: Project: Dark GDK - 2D Game1, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Linking...
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'dplayx.lib'
1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Owner.AndyLaptop\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Dark GDK - 2D Game1\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>Dark GDK - 2D Game1 - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I checked out the Dark GDK installation guide. It had some errors that can occur while building, but my error is not on the list. Even though it wasn't, I did what the guide said to do if you had one of those errors, but I didn't need to because the directories were already there. Any more help?
tempicek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2007 08:49
Moonside,

Quote: "LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'dplayx.lib'"

what you probably need is to set a path to the library in your MSVS. You can do it in Tools|Options|Projects & Solutions|VC++ Directories and then choose library files in the dropdown box on the right. Finally add the path to dplayx.lib file here.

//rem
Moonside
Years of Service
User Offline
I see. Well, I've searched on my computer and cannot even find the file dplayx.lib. What would be the best thing to do now? Reinstall?
The Legend That Is
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

I just seem to get a linking error i have no idea why.

1) Yes
2) XP Servicepack 2
3) Yes
4) No

1>LIBCMT.lib(invarg.obj) : error LNK2005: __invoke_watson already defined in MSVCRTD.lib(MSVCR90D.dll)
1>LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'LIBCMT' conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library
1>MSVCRTD.lib(crtexe.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _main referenced in function ___tmainCRTStartup
1>C:\C++ Projects\don't work\Debug\don't work.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\C++ Projects\don't work\don't work\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>don't work - 3 error(s), 10 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

He Who Dares Wins
The Legend That Is
Years of Service
User Offline
Also when i try and use an empty project, it compiles fine but when i try and run the program with the basic DB loop it says that there is no source code available?

Anybody else having the same trouble

He Who Dares Wins
Escaped Ape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 00:04 Edited at: 18th Dec 2007 00:06
I'm having the same problem as sigi with the same answers to the questions.
After reading the posts I copied the Wizards folder to the right place, changed the absolute path in the 3 files, created a new directory "Projects/Wizards" in the Visual Studio 2008 folder (so the default.js error doesn't occur).
I now can open the templates but I can't build them.
The report-file tells me the following:

c:dokumente und einstellungen/bastian/eigene dateien/visual studio 2008/projects/dark gdk - 3d game1/dark gdk - 3d game1/darkgdk.h(4) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'DarkSDK.h': No such file or directory

What confused me was, that it cannot include darkSDK.h - I never tried to do so, did I?!?
In the code i want to include darkGDK.h...
So all in all nothing is working...
I really wouldn't mind if someone uploads a working installer.

tempicek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 11:23
Check your error message:

Quote: "c:dokumente und einstellungen/bastian/eigene dateien/visual studio 2008/projects/dark gdk - 3d game1/dark gdk - 3d game1/darkgdk.h(4) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'DarkSDK.h': No such file or directory"

The problem is not in *your* source, but in the darkgdk.h file, which you are including. Just add the folder which contains specified header to your project or Visual Studio settings (for VS, you can do this in Tools|Options|Projects & Solutions|VC++ Directories and there choose Header files). You are lucky it works for you at least.

What confuses me - you did have a problem with default.js file missing and fixed it by copying wizards to proper location? I'm asking because it's different problem than most of us have - we don't have wizards at all. And when we copy the wizard folder to proper location, then there's still the problem with default.js file missing.
tempicek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 11:25
Is any TGC team member reading this at all? If not, why was this thread created?

We do still have problems with the installer.
Dark Markus
Years of Service
User Offline
tempicek is right!

do they even notice?

anyway I still don't understand what the problem is because I can find the default.js file but for some reason the program can not!

Is it the wrong default.js?
Xaximbo
Years of Service
User Offline
I have the same problem with default.js any solution? i have moved all the files to the visual 2008 document files but still the program don't find it.

I hope a fix will repair it because i'm astonished of the power of the program

---Under construction----
Woozl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2007 01:04 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2007 17:49
In Visual C++ 2008 Express,
After installing the GDK, I was not seeing the GDK wizards appearing in the NEW PROJECT dialog...

I found a workaround for the problem, see bottom of this post for my solution.

Quote: "Are you running in administrator mode?"

Yes

Quote: "Are you using XP or Vista?"

Windows XP (sp2)

Quote: "Can you check the registry. Look for
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\The Game Creators\Dark GDK.
Do you see the key for INSTALL_PATH. Is this pointing to the
correct location?"

Yes, the INSTALL_PATH is correct

Quote: "Go to My Documents\Visual Studio 2008 e.g. -
C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008.
Do you see folders called Dark GDK and Wizards. If so what are
the contents of these folders?"

These folders were missing.

Quote: "Go to the Tools directory of your installation e.g. -
C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Tools.
Run Wizards.exe.
Does this program run? Can you now go back to My DocumentsVisual
Studio 2008. Has the contents of this folder changed? "

After running the Wizards.exe program, the folders appeared in the
C:\Documents and Settings\(my username)\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008 folder

This is where the problem occurs...

I have relocated the "my documents" folder to another partition.
(in my case Mocument Folder).

MY SOLUTION (work around):
After moving the folder
C:\Documents and Settings\(my username)\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008
to
M:\Document Folder (full path M:\Document Folder\Visual Studio 2008)

I opened Visual C++ Express, and BEHOLD! the wizards now show up.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Once you have moved or copied these files, you will need to edit each of the .vsz files in the "...\Visual Studio 2008\Wizards" folder to reflect the NEW location of the wizard files, so that Visual C++ 2008 Express will know where to find the files necessary to run the wizard (these files include the default.js file mentioned in several posts here).

To do this, open each of the three .vsz files in a text editor, such as notepad, then...

for "Dark GDK - Game.vsz" - locate the following line:

Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = <drive letter>\Documents and Setting\<user name>\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Dark GDK\Dark GDK - Game\Dark GDK - Game"

and change it to read

Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = <path to your custom my documents folder>\Visual Studio 2008\Dark GDK\Dark GDK - Game\Dark GDK - Game"
(in my case - Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = M:\Documents Folder\Visual Studio 2008\Dark GDK\Dark GDK - Game\Dark GDK - Game")

for "Dark GDK - 2D Game.vsz" - locate the following line:

Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = <drive letter>\Documents and Setting\<user name>\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Dark GDK\Dark GDK - 2D Game\Dark GDK - 2D Game"

and change it to read

Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = <path to your custom my documents folder>\Visual Studio 2008\Dark GDK\Dark GDK - 2D Game\Dark GDK - 2D Game"
(in my case - Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = M:\Documents Folder\Visual Studio 2008\Dark GDK\Dark GDK - 2D Game\Dark GDK - 2D Game")

and, for "Dark GDK - 3D Game.vsz" - locate the following line:

Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = <drive letter>\Documents and Setting\<user name>\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Dark GDK\Dark GDK - 3D Game\Dark GDK - 3D Game"

and change it to read

Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = <path to your custom my documents folder>\Visual Studio 2008\Dark GDK\Dark GDK - 3D Game\Dark GDK - 3D Game"
(in my case - Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = M:\Documents Folder\Visual Studio 2008\Dark GDK\Dark GDK - 3D Game\Dark GDK - 3D Game")

What I think is happening:
Apparently, the Installer and Wizards.exe program install to the path:
"<drive letter>\documents and settings\<user name>\My Documents", whereas, Visual C++ 2008 Express uses the OS knowledge of the PHYSICAL location of the "My Documents" folder (which is different, since I moved it, in my case so that "My Documents" points to the directory "M:\Document Folder")

If you have a custom location for your "My Documents" folder (or if your "My Documents" Folder is named something else):
Until the Installer is modified to put the files in the right place
when you have a custom location for your "My Documents" folder, the above procedure should correct the problem of the GDK Wizards not appearing in Visual C++ 2008 Express.

After performing these steps, I have been able to successfully build and run several of the samples and tutorials included with the Dark GDK.

I Hope this helps someone.

Regards,
Woozl

edit: correct typos & clarity
Dark Markus
Years of Service
User Offline
Woozl, I don't know how you did it but you helped me fix Dark GDK Game and 2D Game.

Unfortunetly not the 3D Game but you help me along the path.

You don't know how thankful I am.

you could'nt help us out with the 3D Game as well?

Regards,
Markus
Woozl
Years of Service
User Offline
Not sure what problem you are having with the 3D game wizard, it should be able to be fixed using the same method as the 2D game and Game. I am quoting the info from my original post, pertaining to the "Dark GDK - 3D Game" wizard (in the "Dark GDK -3D Game.vsz" file.

If you are having a different problem, other than the 3D wizard not showing up, please post a new thread and I will watch for it and try to assist you. (don't want to hijack this thread away from "Wizards not showing up")

Quote: "and, for "Dark GDK - 3D Game.vsz" - locate the following line:

Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = <drive letter>\Documents and Setting\<user name>\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Dark GDK\Dark GDK - 3D Game\Dark GDK - 3D Game"

and change it to read

Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = <path to your custom my documents folder>\Visual Studio 2008\Dark GDK\Dark GDK - 3D Game\Dark GDK - 3D Game"
(in my case - Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = M:\Documents Folder\Visual Studio 2008\Dark GDK\Dark GDK - 3D Game\Dark GDK - 3D Game")"

You should be able to find the "Dark GDK - 3D Game.vsz" file in the folder "<path to your 'my documents' folder>\Visual Studio 2008\Wizards" along with the "Dark GDK - 2D Game.vsz" and "Dark GDK - Game.vsz" files

Make the above changes to the 3D vsz file and it should work as it did for the game and 2D game versions of the wizards.

If that doesn't work, with details of precisely what isn't working, and we'll try to address the problem

Regards,
Woozl
Dark Markus
Years of Service
User Offline
oh, now it works!!!!!

sorry I looked in the wrong folder, my mistake!

thanks alot Woozl

//Markus
XFS Illusion
Years of Service
User Offline
is the SDK for vb.net, the one I paid $60 for, supposed to have wizards? It looked like it in the tutorial, but i don't see any wizards in my template section, or in my DarkGDK.NET folder.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 22:24
no, the 60$ dgdk.net is not part of the VS2008 DGDK release

the DGDK.NET is coming in January

your original dgdk.net can be used from within vs2008 as is, its just a COM component

My DBP plugins page is now hosted [href]here[/href]
Eduard aka Herenvardo
User Deleted
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 07:10
* Account type: Administrator
* Win Version: XP Home SP2 (Spanish)
* INSTALL_PATH: Points to the right location (install path of my Dark GDK installation)
* Dark GDK & Wizards folders missing in [my docs]\Visual Studio 2008
* Run wizards.exe: the program starts and exits immediately; retried from command line to see the "results": no output from the program (neither success confirmation nor error reporting); folders still missing. Also tried paths.exe: no output at all and no apparent changes.

Looking at some other people posts, I've been able to solve the whole issue. I include here what I did, step by step, in the hope that putting it all together might help other people with this issue:
1. Copy the contents of [Dark GDK Folder]\Wizards\Files into [My Docs folder]\Visual Studio 2008\Wizards (create the target folder if needed).
2. Copy the contents of [Dark GDK Folder]\Wizards\Projects into [My Docs folder]\Visual Studio 2008\Dark GDK (again, create the folder if needed).
3. Edit the files [My Docs folder]\Visual Studio 2008\Wizards\[project].vsz (where [project] is each of "Dark GDK - 2D Game", "Dark GDK - 3D Game", and "Dark GDK - Game") with any text editor: on the line which starts with "Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = " make sure it points to the right path, which should have the form [My Docs folder]\Visual Studio 2008\Dark DGK\[project]\[project]

After this it should work fine, I didn't even need to restart the VC++ IDE: just go to New Project... and the wizards should be there.

Hope this helps
RaoulDuke
Years of Service
User Offline
1) Yes
2) XP Servicepack 2 (German)
3) Yes
4) No
The Wizards.exe creates the Directory "C:\Wizards" with no content in it.
thyr
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok guys, I just have made the solution of changing folders and entries, and now I can create a new project, but now the problem is I cannot build, it says that he cannot find "DarkGDK.h", so now I really dunno know what to do. Any solution?

Thanks!

I am a Maverick hunter. Never know when they're acting against you.
Corner
Years of Service
User Offline
Have the exact same problem as Thyr:S
cscodes
Years of Service
User Offline
1. Yes Adminmode.
2. XP Pro. SP2
3. Yes Correct Loc.
4. No
5. Wizards.exe Runs in DOS mode 0,1 sec. later Ends.
6. There is no changed contents in "My Documents\Visual Studio 2008"
betz
Years of Service
User Offline
Are you running in administrator mode?
yes

Are you using XP or Vista?
xp sp2

Can you check the registry. Look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\The Game Creators\Dark GDK. Do you see the key for INSTALL_PATH. Is this pointing to the correct location?
yes

Go to My Documents\Visual Studio 2008 e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008. Do you see folders called Dark GDK and Wizards. If so what are the contents of these folders?
no

Go to the Tools directory of your installation e.g. C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Tools. Run Wizards.exe. Does this program run? Can you now go back to My Documents\Visual Studio 2008. Has the contents of this folder changed?
no
Witch King
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I've tried hacking all the various copies of all the .vsz files, in <path to your 'my documents' folder>\Visual Studio 2008\Wizards, in C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Dark GDK\Dark GDK - 2D Game\Dark GDK - 2D Game, etc., in C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards\Projects\Dark GDK - 2D Game\Dark GDK - 2D Game, etc., and no joy.

I'm running XP Media Center edition.
answers:
1) Yes
2) XP med ctr Servicepack 2
3) Yes
4) Yes
5) program runs? = Yes / has the content changed ? = No (well, it copies the later verions, so Yes, but same files, # files, etc).

it seems all the files are where they should be, but it doesn't work. I had Mike in my paths as well, what's up with that????

I have hacked the .vsz files until I'm blue, not even sure which of the three locations is the one to worry about. I also noticed: Param="WIZARD_UI = FALSE"

should this be TRUE?

tried it, no joy.

I had VCpp express 2005 on here as well, could that be it? I uninstalled it, along with all except the DirectX 9 aug sdk, reinstalled, no joy. Could there be turds left behind from VC '05 that I need to scrape out? (so to speak?) perhaps in the registry?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 19:07:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 19:07:47