Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / *** Christmas DBPro Minimal Media Coding Competition ***

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 10:09 Edited at: 5th Jan 2008 14:36

This years DBPro Minimal Media Christmas challenge is now underway! The competition runs from Sunday 16th December 2007 to Monday 7th January 2008. For full details on how to enter, please see the Rules and Information page here: www.andromedus.com/mmcc2007

Prizes

1st Prize: $100 TGC voucher + GUI Studio

2nd Prize: $50 TGC voucher + GUI Studio

3rd Prize: $50 TGC voucher

Visit www.andromedus.com today!
Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 10:13
Sounds interesting, maybe I'll give it a go

da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 13:06
I will definitely attempt to try.

-Dan

http://Freewebs.com/noobisoft
Come to Noobisoft's website today!
TinTin
Years of Service
User Offline
Location: BORG Drone Ship - Being Assimilated near Roda Beta (28)
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 17:23 Edited at: 7th Dec 2007 22:38
Hehe, that sound like fun.

Here is a little something I knocked up (no, it's not the missus!), makes me feel all cold inside (no, it's still not the missus!) hehe.

Frosty Monitors.. whoohoo

**[edit]** added a few other things to make it more... eh... Christmasy...

Go Create...

Cyberspace was becoming overcrowded and slummy so I decided to move. These nice chaps gave me a lift.
Nack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 17:37 Edited at: 6th Dec 2007 17:41
oh i remember this. Didnt have time to try it last year, and......again have no time to do it this year either LOL. Although, I could offer a prize! A copy of Nream! =] Can I do that ric? Never offered a prize b4, want to feel special hehe.

Nack

Nream is DONE! 3D Adventure Maker
gbark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 18:31
Haha TinTin, you froze up my computer! (Bad pun...)

Anyway, sounds fun, I might try this if I'm not too busy over the holidays.

I don't know how much media is gonna be provided for this comp, but do you expect we use ALL of it? (ie, if you provided several sprites, what if we only used 1 out of those?)
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 12:11 Edited at: 7th Dec 2007 14:46
Ok folks - this contest just got serious! The Game Creators have just contacted me to say they would like to contribute to the prize list - to the tune of $200 of TGC vouchers to be distributed between 1st, 2nd and 3rd places! Mighty generous of them.

See the first post in this thread for a break down of the prizes.

@Nack: Thank you very much for the offer. Could you please email me at ric@andromedus.com

@GBark: Haven't quite figured out the last details yet, but I shouldn't worry too much about there being too much media. Last year, it was one single image. It may be a little more this year, but there won't be anything in there that you can't use with a bit of imagination - none of it will be too specific to any particular purpose.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 13:58
Ow, man! Can you make also adiitional competition on winter HOLIDAYS, 1-15 january? There is a people interested at your c'n but they're working SO HARD (so do i) from 9 to 19.
There is no time before Xmas on ourmselfs!

Think about it.

And be gentle

A door is a door is a door. Even a swinging one. =0
Michael Jackson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 14:10
Thank you for this new competition! I will join it because I like Xmas and Wintery theme, but I also like the City theme, that's why I hope there will be some city related media for this challenge, such as snowy roads, snowy buildings, winter weather skyboxes. The city theme is very important to me: lots of modern games takes place in huge cities. If you want I can upload some media for example. media that I have created, without copyright.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 14:19
Oh yeah! And models like babes in santa's costume!
Although dont forget about HUGE black killer snowmans!
And evil xmas tree factory!
Merry evil xmas!

@jokes copyright 8)

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 14:24 Edited at: 7th Dec 2007 14:32
Steve Vink (aka Batvink), the TGC Newsletter Editor and forum moderator has kindly agreed to join me on the judging panel. We will be looking at the entries carefully and picking the top three places once the competition ends - exactly how long that will take will depend on the number of entries.

mrHandy: Sorry, the dates are set. I'm sure you understand that different people across the world and across the age range have different holiday dates, so it isn't possible to please everyone - although the majority of people should find they have at least some holiday between the 16th Dec and 7th Jan.

MJ: Thanks for your suggestions regarding media. So that I don't give anyone an unfair headstart, I am not going to discuss what may or may not be included. The only clue I will give you is in the title of the challenge - 'minimal' - other than that, you'll just have to wait and see!

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 14:38 Edited at: 7th Dec 2007 14:39
RIC! DARN my calc! 7th jan its perfect! Our team did our best!

Oh,oh, ad let MINIMAL MEDIA will be sphere and cube! =)

Michael Jackson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 14:40
Thank you.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 14:54
I will give it a shot.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 20:25
I too plan to sink my teeth into this delicious crumpetition.

And if I'm not mistaken, Micheal Jackson up there is actually Serjo. Good heavens and stuff.

EBA; FUI; Mario Land Ripoff.
Every time you post a joke in the form of code, mace yourself.
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 20:46
OMGFH ITS SERDJO3D!!
The most advanced and the best programmer in the worldzz!

Or maybe not..

Click For Details!

H4ck1d
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 02:39
Oh wow, good catch Mono... heh. Well I, for one, certainly look forward to this competition! Only 9 days to go...

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 04:34
Last year's competition was fun, I'll definitely be here to see the entires, and might enter if I have time.

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 16:05
Fantastic,

Thanks for providing another compo.

Unfortunately, Christmas is the one of the busiest times of year for me and most people who work in a service industry. I don’t get any holidays over the festive period (I’m even working on Christmas day) and with the increased commitments to friends and family, my time is going to be short. Still I will try and enter because I love doing these compos. (it’s the only time I come close to finishing a project).

Quote: "
No other media (or plugins) are allowed other than what is provided - all other elements in your entry must be created through pure DBPro code.
"

Forgive me if i am being stupid but does this mean no Dark Physics, Sparkys collision, Advanced Terrain, etc

da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 18:45
Ever one of those are plugins, so no. You can't use them.

-Dan

http://Freewebs.com/noobisoft
Come to Noobisoft's website today!
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 00:18
Sounds good, could you give a description of what media there will be at the start of the comp (2d/3d etc.), since I will not have the internet available for a while after the competition starts and end up getting a late start.

Thanks

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 00:43 Edited at: 9th Dec 2007 00:52
Quote: "I don’t get any holidays over the festive period (I’m even working on Christmas day)"

That's pretty harsh - I hope you at least get paid extra!

Quote: "does this mean no Dark Physics, Sparkys collision, Advanced Terrain, etc"

Almost correct - no to Dark Physics, and no to Sparky's. Advanced Terrain is an exception. Everyone who has DBP has it, so it is effectively part of the language and therefore it is allowed.

I don't really want to get into the whole issue behind why - the 'what is classed as media' question tends to be a good way to open up a big can of worms! Suffice to say that full rules will be clarified when the compo begins, and that these rules haven't just been thought up randomly overnight - they have been thoroughly discussed and debated before, and are the same as those which have been in effect for the DBP challenges over the last 3 years.

Anyone not sure what is meant by 'no media' should look here: http://www.andromedus.com/dbp/html/media-rule.html

Quote: "could you give a description of what media there will be at the start of the comp (2d/3d etc.)"

Your game/demo can be in either 2d or 3d. The media provided will not limit you to either one. I can't say more than that I'm afraid!

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 01:55 Edited at: 9th Dec 2007 02:43
Is it necessary to use media?
Ive made non media cool crystal effect

And i would like to enter with it.. I may improve it withing the competition time but its already pretty cool imo

Edit:
Here is the code
I hope we can post our wips already.
I call this effect "Winter Madness" lol

Here is Particle Version of it:

The 3d version has sync rate because it may be faster on other comps and i was too lazy to but timer based system on it

The particle version doesnt have sync rate so you can test how speedy it is!

Note: Please do not steal or modify!

Click For Details!

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 13:15
Quote: "Is it necessary to use media?"

It will be necessary to use the provided media, yes.

That's quite cool Roxas! But I would wait until the competition begins before you do too much more, as you don't know what the media will be yet - and it might affect the direction you take.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 20:48
sweet! this looks awsome. Ric, if we already have GUI studio, can we get a vouncher for your site? or sould we just give it away to some one else?

defintly doin this contest btw.

"these shoes are 300 hundred dollars"-Shoes by Kelly http://smallgroupproductions.com/
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 21:21
Sorry, there won't be any alternative prizes - I guess you could always try and sell GUI Studio though if you already have it!

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 21:28
okay, thats fair.

"these shoes are 300 hundred dollars"-Shoes by Kelly http://smallgroupproductions.com/
Bad Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
do we also get that media 1 pack addon for gui studio?

Buy some new FPSCreator Ready Characters at:
http://www.freewebs.com/fpscharacters/
jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 23:11
this sounds like fun! if im not too busy, ill see if i can knock something together

one question: are plugins allowed? probably not, but just checking.

GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 23:14 Edited at: 9th Dec 2007 23:15
After I got screwed over for a voucher on the last compo, no thanx

DinoHunter (still no nVidia compo voucher!), CPU/GPU Benchmark, DarkFish Encryption DLL, War MMOG (WIP), 3D Model Viewer
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 00:27
Quote: "do we also get that media 1 pack addon for gui studio?"

Sure you do!

Quote: "one question: are plugins allowed? probably not, but just checking"

No plugins, except Advanced Terrain which is effectively part of DBPro

Bad Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, advanced Terrain uses external media for the height map, texture map, and detail map; so it seems that no, we cannot use advanced terrain. Unless someone is clever enough to produce those images using data commands(or something else) inside of DBPro, thus keeping the media internal, then that is a different story.

Buy some new FPSCreator Ready Characters at:
http://www.freewebs.com/fpscharacters/
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 00:45
Quote: "Well, advanced Terrain uses external media for the height map, texture map, and detail map; so it seems that no, we cannot use advanced terrain. Unless someone is clever enough to produce those images using data commands(or something else) inside of DBPro, thus keeping the media internal, then that is a different story."

Easy

Click For Details!

Azrael
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 10:25
Coding without media??
Here we go!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 11:18
Quote: "Well, advanced Terrain uses external media for the height map, texture map, and detail map; so it seems that no, we cannot use advanced terrain. Unless someone is clever enough to produce those images using data commands(or something else) inside of DBPro, thus keeping the media internal, then that is a different story."

It is really quite easy to generate them randomly using an algorithm. Certainly not a problem!

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 00:09
Are HLSL allowed? They're not medias, right?

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 01:53
Dude, I'm definitely entering!

Productivity on Hassassin has increased tenfold.
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 02:06 Edited at: 11th Dec 2007 02:07
Quote: "all other elements in your entry must be created through pure DBPro code."

HLSL isn't pure DBPro code - sorry! No media in this context means nothing that isn't pure DBP. Anyway - you already had a shader contest this year! (and if memory serves correctly, I seem to remember you did ok! )

@GatorHex:

Quote: "After I got screwed over for a voucher on the last compo, no thanx "

That has nothing to do with me or this challenge! This contest is just a bit of Christmas fun to stop people getting bored during the holidays - feel free to join in or not!

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 02:10
So- can I use an array to store pixel information obtained from a real image as code, then build an image out of that as if it was a real image loaded as media?

Productivity on Hassassin has increased tenfold.
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 08:49
Just a thought: if you are excepting any more prizes Epsilon Zero would be willing to donate one copy of Vegetator Professional:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=109568&b=5

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 10:04
Quote: "can I use an array to store pixel information obtained from a real image as code"

No, that would still be media - just converted into a different format in an attempt to get around the rules! Any uncertainty about what is meant by 'no media', please read here - http://www.andromedus.com/dbp/html/media-rule.html ... you'll see it says:

Quote: "You may not do anything which attempts to ‘get around’ the rules. An example of this would be converting a media file, such as a .jpg, into a huge stream of data, and pasting it as data statements into your code. This is still classed as media."

@Uncle Sam: Thank you for the generous offer. I must say that your software looks brilliant! However, it has been pointed out to me by some wise soul that in order to prevent any possible complications, it might not be sensible to offer software I cannot personally vouch for as prizes - so I'm afraid I will have to decline all offers of third party software. Might sound silly, but there is some logic in it somewhere - based on problems with some previous competitions. Sorry, and thanks anyway - I hope you understand.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 12:39
Quote: "it might not be sensible to offer software I cannot personally vouch for as prizes - so I'm afraid I will have to decline all offers of third party software"

Which is a good indication that this competition is being run as professionally as possible, and all prizes are accounted for

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 13:36
Quote: "Anyway - you already had a shader contest this year!"

How did I miss that????!!!!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 13:41
Miss that GG? - you probably have shaders in most of the entries! - I'm sure he's referring to the nVidia compo.

When is this due to start Ric?, soz if you mentioned that already.

We're going down... in a spiral to the ground...
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 14:17 Edited at: 11th Dec 2007 14:17
Ric, I sent you a Top Secret e-mail with a surprise attachment.

sssh, that's all I'm gonna say.

Cheers!
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 17:06
@Van: Sunday 16th December is when it kicks off.

@David: Have emailed you back - the top secret attachment will be revealed to all on the 16th December!! Cheers!

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2007 05:49 Edited at: 12th Dec 2007 05:50
Quote: "@Uncle Sam: Thank you for the generous offer. I must say that your software looks brilliant! However, it has been pointed out to me by some wise soul that in order to prevent any possible complications, it might not be sensible to offer software I cannot personally vouch for as prizes - so I'm afraid I will have to decline all offers of third party software. Might sound silly, but there is some logic in it somewhere - based on problems with some previous competitions. Sorry, and thanks anyway - I hope you understand."

Ah, it's ok! Just a thought.

And thanks.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2007 16:31
Glad to see you're still around, David! I haven't seen you for a while. I'm definitely entering this.

"Ok, so that wasn't funny. I don' have any good Christmas jokes."
tparkin
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "
NOT ALLOWED:

You may not do anything which attempts to ‘get around’ the rules. An example of this would be converting a media file, such as a .jpg, into a huge stream of data, and pasting it as data statements into your code. This is still classed as media.

ALLOWED:

You may write your own separate editor which creates media data to be used in your entry, and paste the data into your entry as data statements, so long as the editor is posted along with your entry, and no external media is used in your editor. For example, you may create an editor which enables you to draw a line drawing of a house using the mouse, and save it as a series of coordinate data. You could then paste the data into your entry as data statements and have the code for your main entry read the coordinate data in order to recreate the house.
"

Please clarify how these are different? I consider them the same thing.
BillR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2007 08:24 Edited at: 13th Dec 2007 08:31
@David, good to hear from you.
You have always been very generous to the DBPro community, and it is much appreciated!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 09:45:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 09:45:46