Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / [DBPro] TERSCULPT

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 00:09 Edited at: 19th Feb 2008 00:45
Finally got this wrapped up, a free source terrain editor.

It's not open source, because I plan to brutalize it for my own needs rather than develop it, the idea is that anyone can adapt it.

Anyhoo, give it a whirl, and if you have a graphics tablet try that with it too. Hopefully my code is not too weird this time.

Download, Release 2, source and binary:
http://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/?i=1431866

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rndPdaTClJ8

less is more, but if less is more how you keeping score?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 00:10
Screenie.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Van B = God of Dark Basic

Thank you so much for releases your source for this. I know it probably wasn't easy to fork it over, but I can tell you that it's going to help a lot of people to learn and I, and we the community, can't thank you enough

Let January 28th 2008 officially be Van B appreciation day, and if you don't want to hog all the honors, let it be every contributing forum member appreciation day A lot of people, especially yourself Van B, take a lot of time out and explain things to the learners here, and not always do you all get a proper thanks. So THANK YOU Van B!!! (and everyone else who helps out around here!!!).

The program itself is amazing, you did a very fine job. I plan on adapting a few features from yours to fit with my editor and include a culling system to help the FPS out a bit. I will be able to learn a lot from this! I'm especially looking forward to learning how you did the comforming brush technique (never did figure that magic trick out lol) and the different equations for your terrain editing.

Man, I could seriously ramble myself dumb right now with thanks and amazement. But I'll leave the floor open for others too

Thanks again Van B, your a perfect example of a fine fellow programmer

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" -Isaac Newton
-Computer Animation Programming Major @ Baker.edu-
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 08:15
Hehe, glad you like it Sid and thanks for the nice comments .

david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 12:15
I havent checked it out yet van b. But I have downloaded it and will be trying to pick it apart so I can understand everything thats going on in there. Thank you for this and the effort I know it took to put this project together.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 12:39
Good Job! I haven't scoped it out (yet) - but I know basically what you were shooting for - and you finished....um.... we don't see that word to much in dbpro... let me reiterate YOU FINISHED! AWESOME!

I downloaded the file for later tinkering - I'm off to work soon - but the screen shots looks sweet!

I'm sure I'll be impressed!

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 14:47 Edited at: 29th Jan 2008 14:48
Awesomes!!!
This looks so professional!

One question tho.. Many terrains ive seen in DBPro struggles really bad.. I mean seriously FPS = Bad.. Only terrain i havent got this proplem was DarkMapper.. (I think its how it is handled and how you can split it in parts )

I hope this wont have that proplem

Well ill try it now.. And see myself

Click For Details!
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 14:48
@Van B
This looks impressive
I only have DBC, is there an exe for this program?
Maybe I'll start actually making 3D games if I can use this hehe

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 15:03
Ok..
The editor were pretty slow for me.. 22-23 fps while moving around.. And 3 fps while clicking (Doing some action).. Perhaps it was cuz the shader dint work..

My GPU can only handle PS 1.4 and VS 1.4 so i dint see any textures ...

Tho it was really fast in Explore mode (55-60) fps.. Was it capped on 60? Altrough while lookin whole terrain still 55-60 and i was like Woah.. Still no textures tough (I explored the mountain thingy with water it was generated)

Click For Details!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 16:05
Thanks guys. It does need a 2.0 shader card to work properly, but I was sure the shader would allow vertex shading on 1.4 cards as well - pretty hard to test that and I don't know very much about shaders. Maybe our old terrain shading guru Gandalf will know what's up.

I can't remember if I capped the test, but what I suggest is you generate a terrain then save it - then load up the TERSCULPT_Engine file and try that with your saved terrain, it's like the FPS test but with a skybox and no capped frame rate (IIRC).

One other factor - those terain textures are pretty meaty, perhaps reducing the resolution on them to 256x256 would help performance, I think they're all 512x512, and that could cause problems with performance on lower spec cards. On my PC the thing never drops below the capped rate, 75fps even when moulding the terrain .

It wouldn't be too difficult to make an export routine, like export the terrain heights only, then loading these into DBClassic would be easy, could then support matrices, although without the texturing. It could also export a height map without much effort - I was considering this before releasing it but thought it best to actually release the thing rather than bloat it any more.

Perhaps I'll get bored and add this stuff and upload the new source with EXE's, the forum spits at me if I try and upload anything more than a few MB's.

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "One question tho.. Many terrains ive seen in DBPro struggles really bad.. I mean seriously FPS = Bad.. "

Yeah, when I edit it, it drops down to 4FPS . I'm going to try this out on my high laptop laptop soon, although this desktop isn't so bad... I was surprised to hear you get 75fps even while editing.

I'll try giving the textures a lower resolution as well, but I'd rather keep that at 512x512! They look really nice =]

I suppose I could use lower res texture with the editor, then when I put them into my actual game, just swap out the low res ones and pop in the high res ones. Because there's no problem with FPS otherwise, just when editing.

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" -Isaac Newton
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 16:59
Actually I'm not sure where I got that from, it drops to about 12fps when moulding, but that is ok, perhaps I need to change that so it updates the terrain less frequently when things are getting slow - right now it updates all the time.

Looks like I will be posting new code for it. I should have really considered this, as I plan to put it on a laptop and will probably have similar problems. It's all good, there's a couple of things I want to do to it so will gear it up for lower spec machines as much as I can.

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds good, I will eagerly await the update!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 17:45
Here's a replacement DBA, this one will update the terrain depending on how fast the things going. So if your FPS is about 10 things should be nice and smooth, below that and it won't update so frequently, but at least it'll be more usable.

Not quite done with it yet, this is really just to see if it improves matters.

Attachments

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
It helped a little. Instead of 4FPS when raising verts it's now 5/6FPS, no matter the brush size. I know your not quite done with it, just giving you a little feedback

Is the locking the vertex data whats slowing it down? I heard that locking it really chokes it, but it's not really something we can get around.

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 23:33
this is an amazing terrain editor! Very, very impressive work. This is pretty much the first terrain editor for DBPro that hasnt made me want to quit after just a few minutes.

One criticism: The low fps when moulding.. can get quite annoying, even with the new DBA. If theres nothing that can be done, i can live with it.

And one question: I would love to use this for a first person game, where can i edit the code so that LOD chopoff distance isnt so close to the camera?

For the rest, amazing work, and thank you very much for releasing this, I really appreciate it
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
I haven't adjusted the texture size yet, so I don't know if that helps. But I got to thinking and maybe a culling system would help out the FPS when molding, not sure though. I think there's just a LOD system in there right now right?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2008 00:04
The thing is that any .X model can be used as the terrain, so if you made a bigger LOD terrain then it could slot right in. The terrain is really designed for an RTS, so it doesn't have a great view distance.

I have an alternative terrain idea in mind that would be better for FPS games, using the same system of course but more like repositioning limbs and updating them. With this method it would be much faster to update the vertice heights as the limbs would be left alone, just the areas that have changed would need updated. This could be a pretty good start for a culling system as well.

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2008 01:54
any .x models? as in i could just make a big flat plain, save it as .x and use it for LOD?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2008 08:20
Yeah, well assuming you mean you'd have it split up like a terrain mesh, that's fairly straightforward. The mesh I use splits into half detail twice, unfortunately the polygon limit stopped me using a higher res version but the new FPS terrain idea will kinda loose the LOD factor anyway.

The way it works could be used to contort traditional terrain matrices though, I mean it would be possible to make a hex based terrain by just swapping out the mesh and adjusting the repositioning system - I actually used a high-poly sphere instead of a matrix when testing this system initially.

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2008 10:20
Ah ok, i get it. Im looking forward to seeing your FPS culling system, and in the meantime ill experiment with some LOD meshes.
Mugen Wizardry
User Banned
Posted: 30th Jan 2008 19:33
@VanB: I have discovered a glitch that you might wish to take a look at. Basically, when your map cursor's position is past 'F', both the cursors come out of the map, and onto the screen instead of looping back to '0'. Now, I've figured out a way to fix this, but do not know how to code it. The most easy way around this glitch, would be that once the cursors go past 'F', they revert back to 0, exactly how the Zelda map scrolling effect works. I have attached a screen shot of what happens.

Thanks again! =)

~M.W~

Attachments

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2008 21:17
Ahh, hadn't even considered that Mugen, cheers for the headsup. I'll have it do the same as Zelda.

Mugen Wizardry
User Banned
Posted: 30th Jan 2008 23:48
@Van B: Hehe, Npz bro. You help me, I help you =)

Thanks for taking the time to fix it! =)

Without this program, I'd probably have to learn about 4 more years or more of modelling

~M.W~
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2008 09:06
Got my new meshes made, so will try and get an update done tonight. I'm thinking that the new terrain mesh system should make things much faster, going by pure vertice adjustment workload, could be 7 or 8 times faster!. We shall see .

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice! Can't wait to see it.

Mugen Wizardry
User Banned
Posted: 1st Feb 2008 00:22
Hehe, me either! EXCELLENT work with this, Van B! =)

~M.W~
andrey d
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2008 00:34 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2008 00:34
Finally, we got a free terrain maker that actually does detail maps (I think they're called that). Props to VanB for this fine piece of work, I'm definitely gonna use it in DBPro and I'll try and see if I can load this into PyOpenGL.
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Any progress on that '7 to 8 times faster' update Van? No rush, I haven't had time to work on mine in the last fews days, school work and such. Just wondering.

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline

How's it going?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2008 23:56
Getting there, trying to get the limb re-positioning working, should have it finished tomorrow night. Soz for the delay.

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
No prob, this week is midterms for me anyway. Won't be able to review it until this weekend regardless. Can't wait to see it though. This is like the best thing that has been released on the forums. I'm actually surprised this thread isn't on fire yet. Maybe make a post in the DBP Thread about it, since I'm guessing not a whole lot of people check program updates.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2008 22:41
New tiled version. Not the speed improvements I'd hoped for, but I think it'll be a bit smoother.

You can change the draw depth with the global variable ter_limbdepth, the editor default is 3, which seems to improve speed - in the test engine the depth is much better.

Attachments

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2008 22:48 Edited at: 7th Feb 2008 22:49
Exe's...
Download the above, then stick these in the same directory as the source codes.

To quickly get a terrain up and running so you can test it, load up the editor then move the mouse to the top left to open the menu, then select 'Island' from the 'Generate' menu. Once your terrain has generated save it with the 'Save' command in the 'File' menu. The terrain should then be available in the engine test.

Attachments

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Brilliant! Very nice update. Exploring the terrain is even faster now! Also, did your update have any improvement with the editing part where it drops to 4FPS? I'm trying to determine if you changed that part as well, or if me doing some computer cleanup the other day improved the FPS to 8.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2008 17:22
Cheers. The main difference is that it's updating less vertexes, so rather than updating a big mesh, it's updating in 16x16 blocks, I had hoped for more speed from it - but if it's at 8fps on your system now then I'm happy, should be pretty usable now. It's set to update the changes all the time if your FPS is above 10, otherwise it'd update sporadically in order to keep up.

I really like the limb repositioning code, spent hours trying to get a good system of repositioning and reusing the terrain limbs but could never get it working right, then it occurred to me that the limb positioning can be pre-calculated in the array - not so much a eureka moment, more a DUH! moment . If anyone wants to add a culling system then that's where I'd start.

I was planning on adding fog to the shader as I think that's pretty vital but never got round to it. Hopefully I'll get onto that soon, I just wish I knew shaders a bit better.

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah you did a good job with it. I'm still too weighed down with a few of my courses at school to dive into culling at the moment, but that's something I definitely plan on taking a look at within the next month.

Also, a question of opinion from you... I'm planning on taking the editor I'm developing an additional step, where not only can you do everything you do in yours, but you can also position objects for level development and stuff.

FPS wise (and other 'wises' if you see anything), do you think this is possible without making the program grind to a halt? Culling is going to have to happen IMO in order to get a close to decent FPS with multipe objects and such.

Thinking out loud now, but wouldn't it be best to add any additional level objects in as limbs to the main object? That way it can all be saved as one object like I intend to and load it into my game all at once. The objects would also be able to be included in the cull code then as well, I just need to make a dynamic calling system for that right? Hmmm... sounds incredibly complicated. I've never done culling before so this should be a trip

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Van B nice work on the editor so far

Sorry if this has been answered anywhere, I've glanced over the thread, but I might have missed it. Do you have any more plans for it?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2008 21:39
Agent,
I do have plans for it, but not in it's current state. It's kinda an open source project, to give people a head start in developing their engine and editors. I plan to develop it for an RTS game project.
This release though probably won't be updated again, might make an updated shader with fog working, but I have to move onto other things - I could probably keep working on this for months, adding stuff, but I think it's in a good state for sharing as it is right now.

Sid,
Culling in DBPro with your own engine is never gonna be an easy task, but if you chop some arms and legs off it, you should be able to fit it in. If you adopted a similar terrain system then adding culling onto that could be fairly straightforward, a chunk of the media handling is already done in that. By breaking the terrain into a grid of 32x32 bits, you could add another dimension for the viewing angle, say in 45 degree sections, for each of these I'd make a list of visible grid locations. Then when the players position or viewing angle change enough to warrant a culling, you can step through the list and 'switch on' the grid locations to suit. Because I pre-calculate the limb offsets, the raw limb number could be stored instead, then that limb would be hidden or shown quite easily based on the list. Also, if you had objects in the list they could be hidden or shown as well - this is how I would do it.
The list array I'd make an integer, then use object numbers bigger than the number of limbs, that way if say, the array value is less than 256, it must be a limb on the terrain object, other than that it would refer to an object.

I'm weary of actually coding this myself, because it would impact so much on how it could be adapted, really it might be an idea for me to try this in a test engine, then upload that, keeping it separate from the editor totally.

What I'd really like to see is a properly executed water effect, like a fresnel shader - the last time I tried to implement one it went sour , so I'm leaving that to someone else to try.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds cool Van. I look forward to seeing your RTS Will you be packaging the editor with the game for users to create their own maps and campaigns? That'd be awesome.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 03:26
Van, I'm in love with this terrain system. Excellent job coding it and the editor. There's some other features I'd really love to throw in once I get my head around the source code, and I'll see about plugging in some nice fresnel water while I'm at it. I'll upload my changes if I have any success. Thanks for this great code
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 03:39
Wonderful Interface Van B. (I finally got around to checking it out (v2 mind ya) - Looks great. Best UI I've seen for DBPro stuff yet.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 10:00
Cheers, glad you guys like it .

There's certainly a lot of room for features, be sure to post screenshots etc.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 10:23 Edited at: 11th Feb 2008 10:23
VanB, very cool mate! Now there is no reason for me to make my own when you have created this one

Cheers,
Dave

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 14:16
Looks good. I haven't played with this yet, but I have found that mesh memblocks are faster than locking vertex data. Yes - Making Mesh / Manipulating / Deleting Object / Creating Object is faster!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 14:25
Have you tried doing that for a long time, like 15 minutes though?

There's a horrible bug in DBPro that occurs after deleting and creating too many objects, before long things get real slow and ridiculous. I actually went the vertex adjustment route because of that bug.

It would be pretty straightforward to create objects for each part of the terrain though, or even use several limbed objects, might be the best way to get a culling system working - maybe once someone fixes that bug of course .

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey BatVink, what do you think about this being mentioned in the next newsletter?

@Van and everyone: I'm going to try and add Lost in Thoughts culling code into this editor... If I can get it incorporated, I'll post it up here.

An addition I plan on adding to this editor will be the ability to place objects for level development. Once I get that in there too, I'll post that up, seeing that is open source.

The huge problem with all of this is speed though. If culling falls through, we need to start thinking drastically on squeezing out every bit of FPS we can.

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 17:05 Edited at: 11th Feb 2008 17:06
Quote: "Looks good. I haven't played with this yet, but I have found that mesh memblocks are faster than locking vertex data. Yes - Making Mesh / Manipulating / Deleting Object / Creating Object is faster!"

Meshes created with memblocks don't support indices either. I haven't tested if you can actually edit an index based object with memblocks though...

I created a terrain creation function for DarkMapper using DirectX. If you're interested, I can give you the source code.
Editing these terrains stays the same unless you actually refer to other vertex numbers within the vertexdata commands. (eg. get vertexdata position x(Vnr + 6) )

It's the programmer's life:
Have a problem, solve the problem, and have a new problem to solve.
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 23:48
that is AWESOME!

does it actually load pieces of terrain in real time or does it just show and hide?

dont hate people who rip you off,cheat and get away with it, learn from them
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2008 00:27
@BatVink - I concur with Van B's comment above about creating/deleting to much. DarkBasic Pro and DarkGDK suffer here over time... eventually - you just can't do it anymore or your program starts acting weird - like - no textures, stuff... well.. let's just say "Bad Idea" for the long haul... Perfect for getting a scene set up - but if you continually delete/create throughout your program .. expect problems.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 05:50:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 05:50:10