Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Shader Showcase

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2008 03:59 Edited at: 30th Apr 2008 23:56
Showcase any shaders your proud of, anything. If you edited a shader then show it off, if you created something never seen before, show it off.

Heres mine:

I edited Evolved's Normal Mapping shader, I added Specular Mapping with Specular Mask, Light Mapping with Light Mask and finally Cube Mapping with Mask. It's worth seeing it in action, so I made a short vid(2.45 MB) of the shader on a sphere and added some bloom to the scene.

Heres the vid:
http://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/?i=1475777

Edit: the shader looks much better in the vid, beacuse the lightmap is scrolling and the specular map is pulses on and off, plus theres 2 moving light in the scene, you can't really see that in a picture.

A dream is a fantasy, if you achieve that dream it was never a dream to begin with.
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2008 13:11
Looks really cool.

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2008 23:53
Cheers ZekeGames, took me ages to get it functioning properly. But I think it came out great and it fast too. In the video you can't really see where the masked bits are for the cubemaps, still looks good though and I haven't seen anyone else with a shader like it(yet!).

A dream is a fantasy, if you achieve that dream it was never a dream to begin with.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2008 23:39
That looks amazing, dude!

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2008 23:43 Edited at: 3rd May 2008 02:10
This thread got mentioned in the newsletter, cool, it's my first. This must be a good shader then, just hope to see others join the party.

A dream is a fantasy, if you achieve that fantasy it was never a dream to begin with.
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Those are some amazing shaders Sasuke.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't taken off yet, I guess it's because not everyone is experienced in writing shaders. I myself haven't even gotten to that yet, they seem kind of hard to learn.

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Isaac Newton
-Computer Animation Major @Baker.edu-
Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2008 19:13
I'm not that experienced in writing shaders, but I have the ability to understand how thing works very quickly. I just hope the shader guru's will make an appearance, love to see what they come up with. I'm a novice compared to them.

A dream is a fantasy, if you achieve that fantasy it was never a dream to begin with.
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah! I hope to see the Shader Guru's make an appearance too. Who are they all? Green Gandalf, Dark Coder...?

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Isaac Newton
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2008 21:13 Edited at: 14th May 2008 13:50
Quote: "Yeah! I hope to see the Shader Guru's make an appearance too. Who are they all? Green Gandalf, Dark Coder...?
"

They're all at the Shader party.. All the pixels they can eat. I wasn't invited, not cool enough apparently. I thought I saw the Freddix go in, but wasn't sure.

Nice looking shaders!

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 20:44
In a couple of weeks I'll post something I've been working on for my RPG, currently within the last few weeks of uni atm so trying to get that done first. I tend not to post screenshots unless I think it's perfect though so we'll see
TVB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2008 10:01
Response Sasuke call,
Here are the demo I made:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=129412&b=1&p=0

T for True,V for Virtual,B for Battle
Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2008 17:32 Edited at: 13th May 2008 17:32
Cheers TVB, come on everyone, lets get this thread on it's feet.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2008 05:55
~

I would certainly... but I don't quite understand how to write shaders, or the benefits of being able to write my own now with this great Ultimate Shaders Pack out. Sounds noobish, yes, it does.

Maybe I should look into learning more tomorrow. Yes, I'll do that.

3.11 We do not tolerate posts made for the purpose of putting down another forum member, group of members, religion, our company, our staff or any of our moderators, past or present.
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, this whole thread has actually gotten my very interested in learning shaders. I just need to find some spare time and I'll sit down and learn them.

Sorry BigAdd, you're invited too. I couldn't think of everyone! More tea and pixels everyone? (says in British accent).

revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2008 09:15
Here is a video of my "multiple shadow" shader.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2008 21:00 Edited at: 23rd May 2008 21:01
That Awesome revenant, that makes a great addition to the Shader Showcase, keep up the great work. Are you using that shader in any of your projects, would like to see it in another setting if you know what I mean. Also how GPU friendly is it?

revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2008 02:04 Edited at: 24th May 2008 02:06
Quote: "That Awesome revenant, that makes a great addition to the Shader Showcase, keep up the great work"

Thanks man, it took forever to get it working properly.

Quote: "Are you using that shader in any of your projects, would like to see it in another setting if you know what I mean"

I know exactly what you mean. The video leaves much to be desired, but at this point I was just trying to get it working and finally finished that just a couple of days ago. now I'll start working on a
cool (hopefully) level to put it in.

Quote: "Also how GPU friendly is it?"

On my machine I get:
~200fps @ 640x480
~165fps @ 800x600
~105fps @ 1024x768

My system specs:
---------------------
AMD Athlon 3700+ 2.2ghz
2gigs pc3200 ram
GeForce 7600GT

That's with full normal mapping and 4 shadows. I'll remove the normal mapping and get back to you. I also plan to remove one shadow since I cant imagine needing any more, so that will speed it up quite a bit.
Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2008 02:14
Can't wait and good luck

jeffhuys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 15:37
Hey revenant, any chance to get the source? You know, we're all searching for that shader

You're the 'th to view this signature!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 21:52:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 21:52:11