Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

NVIDIA Competition 2008 / [PhysX Comp 2008] - Uber - Armageddon

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2008 13:15 Edited at: 19th Jul 2008 20:26

Hi All,
I've seen that there are many persons that showed what they plan to do for the competition, so I decided to announce what I'll do for the competition.

My über démo will be so called "Armageddon" ... I will not reveal how I will use all PhysX features in this demo but, be sure that I have all fonctionalities planed with how to do them

I post a "logo" shot here and a demo video just to show the start ... Actually, the video does show nothing on PhysX, just demo introduction ... Earth ... sun ... space ... Shaders ... it's just to put something to show

19.07.08 : These new videos show the entire introduction part !!!!
Here is two version :
High quality 800x600( 38Mb ) :
http://files.odyssey-creators.com/PhysXComp2008/Armageddone0_1C(High).avi
Low quality 320x240 ( 10Mb ) :
http://files.odyssey-creators.com/PhysXComp2008/Armageddone0_1C(Low).avi

Full quality 1280x1024 logo :
http://files.odyssey-creators.com/PhysXComp2008/ArmageddonVer4.0.jpg

19.07.08 : Edit of the original message.
I've uploaded a new video showing the entire "Introduction". the only PhysX Part of the introduction is the asteroids flames (PhysX Particles) but the second part of the demo will show all PhysX features...

Regards,
Frédéric Cordier

Gandalf said: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Odyssey-Creators - X-Quad Editor - 3DMapEditor
Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2008 20:47
@ Freddix: I'm sure the "rest" of your demo will be candy for the eyes and the physics, if all of it looks like your "opening"-video!
I like the way the sunbeams/corona appears bit by bit behind the earth, well done! (I only could dream of such effects!)

Good luck in the comp.!

Hoozer

AMD64X24800+(939);2GB;GF6800LE (@12PS, 6VS; 380 MHz, RAM: 434 MHz)
DP-Sw-Mode-Comp-Entry (updated to V. 1.4):
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=109846&b=5&p=0
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 13:04
Excellent graphics - this is the visual quality NVIDIA will be looking for I think, so if you can show them some huge GPU scaling on FLUIDS, CLOTH or SOFT BODIES they will be very pleased! Just for your info, there is not a lot of GPU delta to be had from rigid body simulations, and the competition in the rigid body category will be high. Good luck!

"Small, smart and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom coders aren't extinct after all "
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 13:44
@Hoozer : Thank you for your comment.

@Lee : Hi lee and thanks for your comment..
What do you mean with your "there is not a lot of GPU delta to be had from rigid body simulations, and the competition in the rigid body category will be high" ?
If I'm not wrong, rigid bodies can be used to create buildings parts ... and then be used for simulation (imagine an asteroïds that crash in it) ... right ?

Gandalf said: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 16:15
The meteor spamshing a building is very doable yes.

My statement "there is not a lot of GPU delta to be had from rigid body simulations" means the GPU will probably not offer a speed-up on this simulation so is not the best way to show the power of a GPU. If you made the building out of cloth, you would

"Small, smart and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom coders aren't extinct after all "
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 19:19 Edited at: 8th Jul 2008 21:04
Yes Lee, you're right ...
But I plan to use all features of the PhysX Engine ...
Meteors can crash ... not only on buildings ... Imagine the white house (with the flags) ... Imagine a street with an opened market that own a cloth protection a bit like in this photo :

http://centpourcentpose-menuiseries.com/index/storeext2.gif

Also imagine a swimming pool made with fluids ...

There can be many things we can make hurt by asteroids that can be interesting with PhysX engine

Do you think it can be better now for GPU use :p ?

Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 19:36
@ Freddix: Sounds impressive (when my imagination plays with these ideas!), but you know the film "Armageddon", right?
Do you think the film-company might be upset, cause you named your game/demo like their film and there are also parallels between them (asteroids)? (You know how they can be, if someone makes a MOD or whatever and they hear it, then they always call their lawers etc.!)

Hoozer

AMD64X24800+(939);2GB;GF6800LE (@12PS, 6VS; 380 MHz, RAM: 434 MHz)
DP-Sw-Mode-Comp-Entry (updated to V. 1.4):
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=109846&b=5&p=0
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 20:08 Edited at: 8th Jul 2008 20:10
@Hoozer :
1. Armageddon simply mean the end of the world... It's a biblic word. Something the authors of the film can't protect in the sense end of world.

2. There is not the Bruce willis team ... There are otherw films where asteroids crash on the earth ... and nodoby get called by law concerning this ...

They can't call law against this demo simply on the fact that it talk about the end of the world by asteroids ... it's a too global subject, something scientist are prepared and they hunt space to be sure no destructor asteroid approach ...

Of course you can think to the film but it has nothing to do with the film

EDIT :
To reassure you, I will probably rename it with something like "Asteroids Armageddon". Many games uses the term Armageddon in their title

Look this article :
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4362785/

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 20:53
Freddix , put the two words together, "Asteroids Armageddon" to "Astergeddon".

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Will there be smaller meteors?

Are we defending, escaping as a civilian, spectating or destroying?

How large will the action area be?

Where can I get the codes. I know how to build it with codes. GET IT. I HOPE U UNDERSTAND. DUHH
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 20:57
@HowDo : loool

@Dared1111 : Don't forget that it's for the competition ... It's not a game but a technical demonstration

Tv Xxx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 14:02 Edited at: 11th Jul 2008 14:04
This Is Completly Irrelevent But I Made This For You...

If You Like It and Want A Bigger One, Pm Me Or Something Wi The Res You Want n Ill Send You One

Yours

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 14:34
@Tv Xxx: Loool
I will post a new video soonly with more

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 18:17
1st part [Introduction] completed... With now asteroids and PhysX Particles for flames ...
I will now work on the true PhysX simulation ...
Will post shots and video soonly...

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 02:37
Keep thinking about those judging criteria such as the ability to change the scaling to make the simulation more or less intense to test those high end graphics cards. NVIDIA want to show off the power of the GPU for physics crunching as they do for gorgeous visuals. Your demo is definately satisfying the latter

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 14:07
@Lee :
Hi Lee, Everything I add in the demo is scaleable with Low/Medium/High quality (like textures, amount of asteroids + PhysX Particles, etc...)
I add the option for each demo part I create to just have to add the option selection at the beginning of the demo when it will be finished.

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 20:28
I've updated the video to show the entire introduction ... Have fun but becare that full quality one is 38Mb and low quality one is 10Mb ...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 19:34:08
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 19:34:08