Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Space Potassium 2: Unpeeled

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 08:22 Edited at: 25th May 2009 04:52
Greetings, before you ask where all the screenshots went: I'm re-writing Space Potassium from the ground up in DarkGDK.

Space Potassium is a 3d arcade style game where two teams of spaceships battle it out in an asteroid belt. It is 1 or 2 player, in 1 player mode you control a spaceship from the blue team, in two player you control spaceships from opposite teams (split screen).

The game gets it's name because when you shoot an enemy ship he turns into a banana! xD. Banana-fied ships will remain as a banana for several seconds until they respawn at their nearest outpost.

Outposts are space-stations which are distributed about the map in strategic locations. You capture a space-station by keeping close to it for a moment, which will enable your team to spawn there. Every station that your team owns will generate points, as will shooting the other team.

My plan is to have several game modes:

Race to X amount of points: Whichever team get's to a certain # of points first wins.

Elimination: Players don't respawn after dying.

Conquest: Capture all the outposts and your team wins.

Here is a screen of the re-written game so far:

Update:

Another Update:

User Requested Features:

- Giant Banana Boss who spawns in a teams base if they are losing badly

- Crazy fruit powerups

No demo is available for the new version yet, but keep checking back here

Downloads for various versions of Space Potassium:

Space Potassium 1:
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?ykjx3tkzjmj

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 09:00
You... Are... God...

Yes you really are, at least from the look of those menus you have to be god. Darn shame I can't play this(am not in the correct OS at the moment).

If someone says plz because it's shorter than please I say no because it's shorter than yes
Quote: "Chuck Norris drank gravy and fertilized his lawn with emo kids so it would cut itself"

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 10:41
Haha thanks xD. Yes I've spent pretty much the last 48 hours getting that menu system up and running, I'm pretty proud of it.

Just one more chunk of it left to be done, the Info tab (With controls and such).

Can't wait to hear your impression of the game after you try it ^^.

This is a random sentence about squirrels.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 11:28
looks really sweet keep it up..
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2008 07:02 Edited at: 13th Nov 2008 02:33
EDIT: This post is old and the screenshots contained do not reflect the current status of the game!

Thanks!

So I'm holding off on the demo till I add a bit more, sorry to dissapoint ><.

I've just added this orange to the game ^^. I know this is a lot to take in, but a lot of thought went into the decision in the upper management. The orange's role is yet to be determined, but there are rumors that it may be seen floating randomly in the background.

Looking over the general gameplay of SP2, I've noticed that there isn't really any motivation for the player to change layers, which has brought me to make this change to the game:

Outposts
Outposts will be evenly distributed randomly throughout the 3 different layers, and will give points to their owner's team every few seconds. You capture an outpost by shooting it 10 times or so.

With this addition, layers will acquire more of a 'tide of battle' feeling, so that the players will be inspired to move to different layers to balance out the battle and re-capture lost outposts. I could have a UI bar in the corner that displays the current tide of the battle for each layer, which would be calculated by the number of players of each team on that layer, with outposts factored in. (Eg. The blue team's 'tide' on layer 1 would = NumPlayers * CapturedOutposts)

What do you guys think?

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2008 15:47
I think, my dear friend, that, based on your nick, signature and last post, you really need to lay down the drugs.

Looking good

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 12:12 Edited at: 13th Nov 2008 02:34
EDIT: This post is old and the screenshots contained do not reflect the current status of the game!

Tee hee, perhaps...perhaps :p

Our reporters in the field have managed to get this shot of the alleged oranges!

Plus I added a background thingy, makes a nice difference from the black. It's actually quite cool in motion, I'll have to give you guys a demo soon. It's composed of two skyspheres, the first of which is semi-transparent. They are both rotating in different directions, so it looks like layers of clouds ^^.

Many bothans died...to get this information. However there seems to be quite a surplus of bothans right now so I wouldn't really worry about it.

On a more serious note, I'm having some very odd technical issues. My main development platform is an Intel iMac running XP, and everything works nicely on that.
I just recently got an Asus F8 Laptop. It's got an nVidia 9500GS with 512mb RAM, it has 3gb internal RAM, and a 2.5ghz processor.

If I run the compiled Space Potassium.exe on the laptop, the game works great. Some HUD elements are missing just because of a code mistake on my part that was resolution specific, but otherwise it works fine. However, if I compile the project on the laptop and run it, everything gets screwed up. All of the 3d objects EXCEPT for the skyspheres dissapear. But not completely, they randomly appear every once and a while, but are for the most part, invisible. The game still works, and if I use Newton's debug mode, I can see all the collision bodies are in the right place and moving around, just the Dark Basic objects are disappearing. I did a forum search and found a few posts about objects disappearing, but all were resolved by turning off culling or calculating the object boundaries, which didn't fix my problem.
I'm working on seeing if my nVidia drivers need updating, but in the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing the problem? It's not hugely important, because the game does RUN on the computer, it just doesn't work if I compile it first instead of running the desktop-compiled version.

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 13:27 Edited at: 10th Jul 2008 13:30
You know what my good sir? I am going to have to go play this, it just looks to awesome, will boot up parallels and then edit this post with my thoughts
EDIT: Post a demo you tard!! Here I went and thought I could play this, wez needz demozorz!!2111

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 02:28 Edited at: 13th Nov 2008 02:34
EDIT: This post is old and the download contained does not reflect the current status of the game!

Right then, here is a bit of a demo for you chaps ^^.

Controls are in the readme, and don't steal mah medias

But if you do, do it nicely and tell me about it :p

Outposts didn't make this release, that'll be in the next one.

Nevertheless, it is rather fun anyway!

Here are a few issues that I already know about and am working towards fixing:

* It is a bit hard to tell sometimes who is on what layer, I am going to add radar and some sort of other mechanism which will reduce this.

* Actually that's mostly it.

Oh, and at the moment there's only support for 1680x1050 and 1024x768. If you can't support 1680 then it will automatically use 1024. If you can't support 1024...then....I'll have to add more support (also planned).

Tell me how it goes! Happy splatting!

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?n0tocd0an4t

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 21:57
Downloading the demo at incredibly slow speeds Will edit this post when played

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 22:45
I love it! Great graphics and gameplay, however since it was my first time playing it I didn't quite handle my ship as nicely as I wanted to However it is an awesome game and runs just fine at 1680x1050, didn't notice any real bugs in my playing, although since you seem to be using the player as the mouse in the menus, couldn't you just change the model to maybe an arrow or something for just the menus and then change it back in game? However I don't know anything whatsoever programming wise so if I am just rambling then please ignore my stupidity
Great game!

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2008 01:06 Edited at: 13th Nov 2008 02:34

Why thankee kindly xD. Glad someone is enjoying it! You shall learn young pilot...you shall learn :p

I shall definitely replace the cursor with a more cursor looking object. (It'll be snazzy I promise)

Here is a sneak peak at the new Outposts(Salad Posts) added to the game.
They glow the color of the team that currently owns them, and they give you 15 points every few seconds, making them a valuable resource. You capture them like you do in Battlefield, by sticking around for a bit. I plan to have several different outpost models, which will all be outrageous things like the one below.

Yay for Glowing Salad(tm)!!

I'm pretty excited about these, they make the game a bit more complex ^^.

The latest batch of bothans managed to find out that an increased armoury is next in line.

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2008 01:48
Me likey glowing saladzor!

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 00:05
A new demo!

Bowls of salad have risen from the depths of space and are waiting for you to capture them! Try it out it's pretty kick-ass ^^.

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?w91y00divm0

You can also download from the top.

This version features the outposts in the screenshot above, and a re-vamped AI which should know how to deal with them.

There are a couple rare and elusive bugs in this release, please post with details about what was happening when the bug occurred if it does.

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 23:13 Edited at: 13th Nov 2008 02:35

I've added this dude to the game.

I decided that the players should be distinguishable from the masses, so human players use this ship model now ^^.

What did you all think of the outposts?

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2008 01:17
Looking awesomer and awesomer man, going to download the new demo in a few days when I have time

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 23:25 Edited at: 17th Jul 2008 23:25
Update! 7/17/08: Download at top

- The cool looking ship above has joined the battle!

- A problem with running the game in 1024x768 was fixed. The HUD is now larger in that mode and game info such as score and kills do not spill out of the box.

- If you experience objects mysteriously disappearing, hold 'space' when you press Start until the game loads, this should fix it.

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 05:06 Edited at: 13th Nov 2008 02:35

According to Douglas Adams, "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."

However, we here in Phosphoer's Bedroom(tm) feel that potatoes are actually really handy little tubers, mostly due to their little known tendency to explode, emitting a circle of laser-y destruction!

This is a picture of the culprit:

Agents in the field have managed to get these shots of it in action:
Spud!

Boom!

I'm pretty happy with the way this is turning out, I've got a nice weapon system set up so that it's easy to add new weapons of exciting varieties. If you have any weapon ideas please feel free to hit me with em! Keep in mind that all weapons are a one shot kill, so different weapons don't have any damage difference, just the way they fire varies.

Another update, we have officially canceled our contract with the Bothans, it's possible that there actually just aren't any more.

On the bright side, we've recently begun negotiations with Miniature Ninjas Disguised as Squirrels...we foresee a glowing future with these small informats.

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 08:50
This is looking more and more awesome every day!

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2008 20:09 Edited at: 24th Jul 2008 22:24
New Demo! This demo adds two weapons to the fray, the Spud Cannon and the Shotgun! You get new weapons like you do in CSS Gungame, except that it takes 5 kills to get the next weapon. After you get the shotgun it cycles back to the starting weapon.

I also changed the positions of the outposts to be fixed instead of random each game, they are placed in a sensible manner now. Also teams start on opposite sides of the map.

Try it out!
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?yjjeimrotyn

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2008 21:15
Just so you guys know, I'm still working on this, just being plagued by those two bugs I mentioned at the top with no easy way to solve them, since Dark Basic doesn't tell you where the error is when you use multiple source files ><. I'm thinking of switching to Code Surge or something of the like.

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2008 21:23
It amazes me that it's almost just been me responding to this thread, this project is awesome!
And I'm sorry to hear about the bugs, I hope you fix them as soon as possible!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2008 23:44
Yeah, this is an amazing little game. Really love the straight and fun gameplay.

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 00:15
Appreciate your support Alucard ^^.

And much thanks Rami xD.

I'm hoping to make it even more fun by reducing the player's inertia so that movement is less sluggish. To me it feels a bit like everyone is encased in syrup or something, doesn't have quite the spark that Space Potassium 1 did.

I just downloaded Code Surge and successfully compiled the project, running the game now to hopefully root out that elusive bug.

Perhaps one of these days I'll fix the Accuracy display as well lol.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol, I though the game was going to be a serious one. But when I saw bananas, potatoes and salad, I lolled. Nice work dude.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 23:38
Looks cool. Menu is sweet. Unfortunately the main game part runs very slowly on my computer, which is pretty old. Is it possible to play 1 player - ie with no split screen? Perhaps that would be faster. Also the change layer thing seemed a bit confusing, but that may be partly due to the slowdown.

Nice graphics, ideas and a complete implementation though. If i had a faster computer this might really rock.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 01:05
@Deathead - Haha, thanks ^^.

@Mr Tank - That's an excellent idea. Perhaps I can make it so that when the computer takes over for one of the players it removes the split screen until the second player starts playing again. I'm still working on the change layer thing, it hopefully will be less confusing soon.

Could you post your specs so I can see just how old your system is? xD. Hopefully my requirements aren't heading in EA's direction :p

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 20:54 Edited at: 6th Aug 2008 20:55
I just tried the game and it's really nice! I really like the textures and their "baked" shadows(or whatever you call it). The 3d menu is really nice too, but maybe you should disable the zdepth on the mouse pointer? As you pointed out the movement of the ships is a little sluggish, so it's nice to hear that you're going to fix it.
The first time I played the game it froze after a couple of seconds, no response or errors at all, very weird.

It's a very fun and polished game, great job!

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2008 10:05
Thanks very much zzz ^^ Not sure what caused the freeze, did the game actually come to a dead stop or was it going super slow?
There was a bug which I think I've fixed in which sometimes the game would slow to almost a dead stop but not quite freeze.

After a long break I'm releasing an update to teh game. (I actually got tired of bananas in space... o.0)

This is mostly a bug fix update with one new feature that Tanker suggseted. The screen now reverts to one camera if there is no second player, but it will come back if the keyboard detects input on the 2nd player's side. The game runs a lot faster in 1 player mode, because there are only 2 out of 4 possible cameras running. This partly fixes the sluggish ships, but I also slightly increased turn speed and accel.

I'm in the process of completely re-writing the AI, so right now they are a bit stupid and mostly ignore the outposts. However they still capture them by accident which actually sort of works out :p

Oh, and you no longer have to hold space as the program loads if you experience odd camera issues, it will do that automatically now because it started happening on both my computers.

Enjoy!

I've updated the links at the top as well.
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=de85a0564ec81ccbd2db6fb9a8902bda

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2008 10:10
It remains obvious that floating fruit in space is a serious problem, and our efforts to resolve this problem should come before relatively minor issues as global warming, poverty and war.

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2008 10:17
xD, well said Rami..well said ^^.

Just imagine the problems we'll have with space ants o.0

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2008 12:50
This is too awesome Love the graphical style SO much, I need to play this soon.

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
This is teh awesumz

The admiral
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 21:28
So I discovered the u7.0 beta and installed that, and this fixed the multiple camera issue! Hooray! ^^.

So now the game runs much faster because there are only two cameras instead of 4 xD. Everything else seems to work fine in 7.0, tell me if you find any bugs.

Download the new version: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=de85a0564ec81ccbab1eab3e9fa335ca4c7606375e715fcd

Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2008 23:19 Edited at: 17th Sep 2008 23:32
Got to be the funniest space game i have ever played lol

Keep it up!

For amusement only, you should make a special super sized banana ship (make it very hard to unlock) that you can control and destroy everything and make it shoot banana bombs lol

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2008 00:42
Thanks ^^.

Haha that sounds quite exciting, I may have to implement that :p

Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Hows it going so far?

Any new features?

Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Is this still being worked on?

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2008 15:19
@ Serial Velocity
Don't get your hopes up. Most people seem to have magically vanished from TGC forums. :S
Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2008 15:29 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2008 22:20
@C0wbox
I noticed :S

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2008 09:46
Hey guys, I actually haven't totally vanished! ^^ I've been super busy with school projects and such but I'm back!

I'm here with an update:

I'm re-writing Space Potassium from the ground up in DarkGDK, and I've replaced Newton with Sparky's DLL.

This means that the game will run like a million times faster, and it will be better designed to allow for easier additions! I'm also hoping to include a few graphical updates.

Here is a screeny of what I have so far:

As you can see the asteroid has been updated to look prettier, the spaceship remains the same so far. If I can figure it out, I may include some fancy shaders or something, but I'm focusing on gameplay first. Once I get some basic AI going and such, I'll release a small demo

I'll welcome any feature requests from the users on the forum! The sooner I get them the better so I can work them into the engine efficiently.

I've got your Super Banana ship on the list Serial, I'm going to update the top post soon with these changes and I'll include a list of user-proposed features.

Excited? I am!

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2008 16:06
How about power ups in the shape of crazy fruity things or something. Would be pretty interesting.

Alucard94, the member of the future of the past.
Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2008 17:25 Edited at: 5th Nov 2008 17:28
Quote: "I've got your Super Banana ship on the list Serial"

Oh cool, i was thinking of adding on of those in my game too, make sure you make the super banana ship a boss that will appear if a team is losing badly and also make sure it has mega weapons too

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2008 08:34 Edited at: 7th Nov 2008 08:35
Sounds good xD.

I've added both of your ideas to the list at the top!

Now for an update, shinys!!

Fancy shaders just like I promised. :p
I'm still in the process of tweaking them, advice on shaders is always appreciated

Plus I've got a basic AI up and running, they fly around and shoot at the opposing team, AND the bananas are working too. The AI in this version is a bit more advanced than in the previous version as well ^^.

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2008 08:47
I spy a normal map. Looks awesome man.

Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
The asteroids look great!

Will the new demo include Big Badda Banana Ship

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2008 10:33
Quote: "I spy a normal map. Looks awesome man."

Indeedle, I've revamped them in this new screenshot, thanks

Quote: "The asteroids look great!

Will the new demo include Big Badda Banana Ship"

Thanks! And yes, it will :p

Here's a new screenshot showcasing the new blue ship model + shaders. Also the new background effect , it looks awesome in motion ( yay reflections! )

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2008 14:58
That's so hot.

Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Lovely models and shaders I especially like the new ship model.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2008 18:28
Ooh, it looks great! Good move switching to DGDK, so much nicer with c++. Good use of shaders too, I see. NICE!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 05:06:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 05:06:27