Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] The BIG FPSC Xmas Competition!

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2008 11:19 Edited at: 1st Nov 2008 01:51

Here it is, the BIG FPSC competition! Get cracking and any questions then please ask (as I'm sure there'll be some. )

1st Place
* Printed & bound copy of the Community Guide
* Atmospheric Sounds Pack
* Pick of 1 from either Chainsaw Brute, Model Pack 17 or Model Pack 18 by Bond
* 2000 Store Points by TGC.
* Unreleased sound pack of Daemon Voices by Nickydude
* Sci Fi segment pack by Henry Ham.
* Weather Pack by Rolfy.
* Model Pack 8 [Dark Egypt] + Bonus by Rosstradamus.
* Any 3 of Errant A.I's store models
* Inspire! Model Pack 1
* Any of the above prizes swapped for a pre-paid 60 day time card for City of Heroes [Requires City of Heroes to play].

2nd Place
* Atmospheric Sounds Pack
* 1000 store points
* Pick of 1 from either Chainsaw Brute, Model Pack 17 or Model Pack 18 by Bond (after 1st place has picked)
* A $20 store voucher courtesy of Black Draco Games
* Exclusive texture pack by Henry Ham
* Any 2 of Errant A.I's store models

3rd Place
* 1000 store points
* Whichever is left from the following Chainsaw Brute, Model Pack 17 or Model Pack 18 by Bond.
* Any 1 of Errant A.I's store models

THEME
As many of you have guessed, the theme centres around puzzles, a 5-room puzzle to be exact, the player starts in room 1 and must solve a puzzle (or number of puzzles) to reach the next room and end by solving a puzzle in the last room (5). The puzzles can be anything you like but all must be done in an un-modded version of FPSC.

JUDGING
Judges will be looking for puzzle ingenuity, not the best looking game, you may use custom media but we'd rather mark high a good puzzle game with stock media that a mediocre game with everything custom made. Puzzles are the order of the day, not 'eye-candy'.

Ingenuity
How well designed are the puzzles? Do they make you think "that's clever!" or is it a simple case of 'get the key from over there to unlock the door'?
Hardness
Can you solve the puzzle as soon as you see it, are you completely stumped? or does it have that 'doh, or course!' factor after you've solved it?
Design
What we're not looking for is how fantastic it looks, or how great the bloom / water / refraction is, dual wielding, custom media or eye-popping shaders. It's the puzzle element you should be concentrating on. Having said that we're also not looking for just a collection of rooms with puzzles, they need to blend well together.
Frame-rate optimization
how well does your game run? Are you using tips and tricks to get a decent frame rate or is everything running slower than a snail with cramp?

RULES

|- This competition will end Dec 31st 2008.

|- All entrants MUST be done on an un-modded version of FPSC. Yup, no mods, no external .dll files.

|- Minimum number of entrants for the comp to go forward must be 5.

|- All entries must be done in the X9 (V1.xx) version of FPSC

|- You may use custom media; to include entities, segments, sounds, music, and scripts, etc. Just remember that all the levels will be made public once the competition has been judged, and a decision has been made public.

|- There will be NO stealing, pirating, or unauthorized borrowing of media/music/or scripts to be used in your level. If this is discovered, you will be automatically disqualified and possibly banned from the forums. If you're not sure if its OK to use someone else's material; then the best thing to do, is not use it. If you do use someone else's material, then you must have WRITTEN permission to do so (unless the permission is given in the license agreement; i.e., free for 'commercial or non-commercial'). Forging written permission will also result in punative action.

|- Your level must be in an installer or a compiled .exe; no .FPM files will be accepted. The file size limit is 200 MB;

|- Do not show off anything about you entry in the forums, please keep this to yourself until 1st Jan (don't want others stealing ideas do we? )

| - There must be a direct link to your entry. Links through a website or where you have to register to download won't be accepted.

|- Remember that the forum rules still apply; in that there will be no nudity, or swearing allowed. Either of those items present in your level could be grounds for disqualification (an attempt to contact the designer may be made, but is not required).

A big thanks go to all those who've sponsored this competition and a special thanks goes to BiggAdd for the amazing banner.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 01:48
The competition has begin. I've stripped this thread clean to start afresh.

Good Luck!

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 02:12 Edited at: 1st Nov 2008 02:39
Awesome! 1st post after cleanup!

Will we be able to send you maps, and get crit on them, such as what Lee did for the PhysX compo entrees....

Game Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Awesome! 1st post!"

No, not really.

Nickydude:
Quote: "I've stripped this thread clean to start afresh."

There were many more posts here before you, CG.

Don't click the image, it links to an image hosting site!
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 02:39
Edited.

SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 02:49
Not to be a pain, but do you really think it is fair to have a character a choice alongside model packs? I don't think the chainsaw brute is worth the same as a model pack.
Looking forward to entering.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 02:53
Quote: "I don't think the chainsaw brute is worth the same as a model pack."

OMFG! Bond will saw ur legz ovv n00b!

Joke, it's gona be in a pack soon, an epic gore pack....

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Now just to think up the perfect idea!

"Your greatest teacher is your harshest critic"-Butterfingers
puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks interesting...
Bad Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 08:34 Edited at: 1st Nov 2008 08:36
Questions:

1) Does this have to have a Christmas theme? This point is not specifically addressed in the rules, not including the title of the comp.

2) When you say 'five rooms' can that be five levels, or do we have to have only five rooms in one level? Also, how many levels can we have?

3) When you say 'the theme centers around puzzles, a 5-room puzzle to be exact', does that mean that there can be as many puzzles as we want but only five rooms, or that we have to have five puzzles with only one puzzle per room?

4) How strict is the theme exactly? It seems to be very lucid in it's description and so I'm guessing there'll be a high leniency on judging.

5) What constitutes a room exactly? Is there a size limit?

Thanks, this sounds like a fun comp with many great prizes!

Visit my website:
http://www.artistsareus.com
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 08:49
1) Nope.

2) 5 rooms, but you can go up / down to the next room.

3) As many puzzles as you like.

4) What do you mean by strict?

5) No size limit to a room.

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 11:14
Great

I'm in starting work now. But i do think that if there are no mods allowed then it should be no non-stock models allowed aswell otherwise it gives some people an unfair advantage over those that cant make there own models and i think that will ruin the whole point of it being on a non-modded FPSC.

Just a thought but im in either way

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 11:40
I am in!

I will put together some simple models wich could come in use in a puzzle. If you got ideas send them to mail mail instead of spamming this thread

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 12:37
Hmmm.....

Does it have to be a strict linear progression, or can we mix it up a bit?

puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "non-stock models allowed aswell otherwise it gives some people an unfair advantage over those that cant make there own models and i think that will ruin the whole point of it being on a non-modded FPSC.
"

Yeah but you are not being judged on models, only the puzzle.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 14:39
Quote: "But i do think that if there are no mods allowed then it should be no non-stock models allowed aswell otherwise it gives some people an unfair advantage over those that cant make there own models and i think that will ruin the whole point of it being on a non-modded FPSC."

This has been addressed repeatedly; there is no need to bring this up again.

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 14:57 Edited at: 1st Nov 2008 14:58
Quote: "This has been addressed repeatedly; there is no need to bring this up again."

I was not aware of that sorry i did not see most of the other post before it was cleaned.

and also keith you need to change the link to the FPSC X10 specs in the new to FPSC thread to the one that is in my signature now old i had removed.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 15:08
Quote: "I was not aware of that sorry i did not see most of the other post before it was cleaned."

Ah, I thought you had seen it all before. I'll take care of the link.

Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 15:36
Already Started Working! I hope I win!

^ Click on my SIG! ^
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 15:45
I need to fix my FPSC install, then it's game on......

Does it have to be exactly 5 rooms, or 5 puzzle rooms? Are we allowed small rooms to join them together.....

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 16:47
That's a good question, CG. I would think you could designate a hallway(s) as a small room, and have the 5 main rooms larger. Not sure; have to have ND answer that one.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 16:59
Hmm, it would make it more interesting that way, and less linear....

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
I was wondering if we could have the rooms as seperate levels. Mainly because, it would be easier to have seperate levels then rooms.

"Your greatest teacher is your harshest critic"-Butterfingers
Bad Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
AT Deathhead:

Quote: "I was wondering if we could have the rooms as seperate levels. Mainly because, it would be easier to have seperate levels then rooms."

Nickydude answered this and said "5 rooms, but you can go up / down to the next room." He had emphasized 'rooms'. So I assume by this answer he does not want separate levels.

AT Nickydude:

Quote: "4) What do you mean by strict?"

What I mean is the definition of a room. Is a room four walls, a ceiling, and a floor? or can it be more diverse and bigger?

I believe coffeegrunt also asked this question to which KeithC referred to you as the one who could answer this.

Thanks for your answers, I've already begun my planning stages!
I'm also glad that it doesn't have to be Christmas - I don't need to make too much custom media!

Visit my website:
http://www.artistsareus.com
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 18:35
Sounds cool.

Will a good looking game get any more points over the next?
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 18:38
Don't forget that you could also have things like wall mazes within a larger room; to break things up.

-Keith

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 19:53
Can we include combat?

Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 20:33
I have a gun in my level. Though there will be no enemies. Am I able to do this or no?

^ Click on my SIG! ^
Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 20:34
Now when you say puzzles can we make obstacle courses like platform jumping and stuff like that?

RAMPAGE STOLE MY CHEEZ-ITS!
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Can we include combat?"

I'd hope so. After all, in traditional games, boss fights were mostly puzzles.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2008 02:36 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2008 06:33
Alright, you've nicked out my weakness, Nickydude!!!

Count me in... I'm a sucker for a good puzzle game and have not yet found the time or initiative to actually make one, so making a small 1-level puzzle game sounds like lots of fun!!!

1 fast question.... so long as the framerate stays at a nice speed, will any points be deducted for loading times? I mean, would you deduct points for a 15 minute load even if the level runs smooth as talcum powder once it's up?

[EDIT]
Okay, a couple more questions that I wanna ask.

What constitues a "room", exactly? Can we section off a single room and still have it classified as one room? Is a room defined as being any area of the level that partakes in a single puzzle?

Do the player's HAVE to complete the puzzles in one room before they can proceed to the next room? Or can we have puzzles that extend between rooms? Like: Puzzle1 takes place in rooms 1&3, Puzle2 takes place in roms 2&1, Puzle3 takes place in rooms 3&4, etc etc. Like, mix and matching, providing more depth to the level. Or, since all of those puzzles take place within those rooms, making the rooms important to one another, will all of those rooms be classified as a single puzzle "room" that has simply been sectioned off?

It might just be me, but this whole "room" thing has me a bit confused... it seems rather vague and the term "room" could be taken different ways.

[/EDIT]

[EDIT #2]

Didn't want to double post, but would like to get some clarification for my previous questions.

I would hate to get a nice puzzle going and then find out that I made my "room" wrong and have to redo it under different criteria. But at least we have all the way until New Year's Eve to get things understood.

[/EDIT #2]

The one and only,

Those who live in the past, are destined to insanity. Those who live only for the future, will be slaves to their ambitions.
Those who live in the moment... only they, are truly happy.
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2008 11:01
Maybe a question similliar to Plystire, but are we able to make something like you have to solve a puzzle in room 1,2,3 and 4 to get a key from each room. You can choose wich room you want to do next. And we you got all the keys you unlock the final room.

Or should each puzzle go hand in hand?

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2008 11:33
I think that's entirely up to you. I mean, to restrict something like that would be a bit silly.

Also, he never mentioned having to have a specific order to the rooms, so I think you're okay.

I'm just about to test my second "room"... and the play-time (even when I know how to solve everything) is already at least 10 minutes!

Man, I love puzzles!!! Thinking up new puzzles for everything sure is challenging, though.

The one and only,

Those who live in the past, are destined to insanity. Those who live only for the future, will be slaves to their ambitions.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2008 13:07
Phew! I thought there would be questions but not so many! Here we go...

There seems to be some confusion over the word 'room' (and I thought this was going to be easy!). A 'room' defines any area of any shape or size. For example an 'L' shaped room 3 levels high. Also a room doesn't have to be a standard room, it could be a cave or a spaceship.

There was a kids TV program some time ago called Knightmare in which contestants donned a helmet and set of through Dungeon & Dragon style rooms solving puzzles in each room. That was what I had in mind when coming up with the comp.

There should be no corridors / hallways inbetween, it's just one puzzle room to the next in linear fashion. Think of each area as it's own puzzle, once that's completed it's onto the next.

Hope this clears thing up.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2008 14:00
Thanks. That completely messed up my plan, but thanks for clarifying, now I can start afresh.....

Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2008 14:10
What kind of content rating should it have? Say I wanted to do something more sinister than putting the tweenies in the right shaped tent?

I know it's aimed at the whole forum, but gorey horror games are also allowed on the forum, so theres a little confusion with the content being appropriate...

Thanks,
Paul

ZackS28
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2008 16:36
I'll Join! I'm suprised I didn't see this until now... when we finish, do we post our level here?
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2008 17:42
No.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2008 18:20
That didn't really answer the combat part

The only problem I see with the "room" thing is what if the creator thinks a room ends at one point, and the player thinks it ends before/after? For example, I have a 1x2 section of the first room attached to the side that shoots upwards, where the player will have to solve a puzzle. Would that be considered a second room, or is it still part of room 1?

piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2008 18:39 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2008 18:54
HI EVERYBODY!

Sorry, just wanted to make my entrance.

I've been gone from the forum for a few months, "awwww we missed you so much" I hear you all say (cough). But seeing this competition in the newsletter made me decide to come back...

I've been really busy for the past couple of months, big changes and stuff. But I think I'm settled down now so here I am. With a genius idea for this competition! _*whip noises!!*_

But are you sure we can't make a thread about it? Thats kinda disappointing, but meh I guess we can from December 31st or January 1st?

Prizes, HERE I COME!

Sorry, I'm just keen

I <3 NickyDude and TGC.

- The Returned Pixx3D

P.S. Nickydude... when were you made a mod?! lah dee dah!

P.P.S. I for one have no questions.

P.P.P.S. Awww nuts! Only now do I find all my threads have been locked...

P.P.P.P.S. Just looked at the prizes... should I not win first prize () could we just outright buy a printed and bound copy of the community guide?

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2008 21:14
Quote: "There should be no corridors / hallways inbetween, it's just one puzzle room to the next in linear fashion."

NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

There goes my plan to re-use parts of the level...

Man, I hate linearity... it makes ingenuity so much harder to come by.

The one and only,

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2008 21:22
Indeed, especially strict linearity like this....

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2008 22:59
Well, I guess I'll just re-tailor my "rooms" to be acceptable by the host and maybe release the original version after the compo.

I'm already finished (Yeah... a one-nighter, lol...), but am touching up and hopefully finding better ways to make the puzzles more interesting and "ingenius".

The one and only,

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2008 23:48
Dude, you finished the whole bloody level in a day, and I can't even think of the puzzles yet!

Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Nov 2008 23:54
Im on the 2nd room, but I dont really like it so I will probably scratch that room.... Its so HARD!!!!!

^ Click on my SIG! ^
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2008 00:24
Even without his all mighty mod Plystire shall dominate.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2008 00:33 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2008 00:35
Well... I could have made every single puzle have different mechanics behind the, but I decided to go with just a few different mechanics and merge them into unique puzzles. So not every puzzle is the same, and not every puzzle is solved the same way even though they may LOOK the same.

I think that's the best way to make a puzzle. Use some basic mechanics and form it into a way that makes the player actually think about what they're going to do.

Lolo is my biggest inspiration, if anyone's played that. Awesome series and had some of the best puzzles I had ever seen!
(@Airslide: Lolo also incorporated a form of combat into the puzzles, if that sparks your interest )

The one and only,

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2008 00:35 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2008 01:31
Yay. Now I'm gonna have to attempt to install V1.13, this'll be fun..... [/sarcasm]

-=EDIT=-

Urrgghh...I really didn't want to do this....

The thing now calls itself FPS Creator Free, despite me adding the necessary serial codes, etc in to the userdetails.ini file. All media is grey, but I double and triple checked the textures and they're good.....

If someone has the answers to these issues, please post.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2008 03:44
I suggest... You delete all the bin and dbo files. If that doesn't do it, then uninstall FPSC, reinstall, and then DIRECTLY upgrade to V113.

The one and only,

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2008 11:27 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2008 11:51
Mmm kay.....

More questions (sorry).......

*Are shaders allowed?

*What is the gore limit would you say? I.e., how far are we allowed to go gore-wise?

-=EDIT=-

I uninstalled, re-installed, installed V1.13, put my media and scripts back, killed all .bin and .dbo files and put my serial number and name in the UserDetails.ini file......

Well, it fixed the everything being grey issue, but it still calls itself FPS Creator Free. I guess I can start building my maps anyway and wait 'til I work out how to fix it.....

-=EDIT 2=-

WTF!? Now everything's grey again! 5 minutes ago, it was fine, now grey! This is why I never wanted to upgrade! And the thing still won't accept my details!

-=EDIT 3=-

Checking back on my older maps, only the MP3 shelves, lights, pallets and pipes and one of those floor panels from Rolfy's enclosed elevator work......

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 05:16:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 05:16:54