Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [NaGaCreMo '09] Coins Galore official Demo

Author
User Banned
Posted: 12th Jan 2009 22:18 Edited at: 12th Jan 2009 22:19
Hey all! I know I had trouble in my last Coins Galore thread and did a lot of double and triple-posting (I apologize for that), but I've now completed my demo for my project for NaGaCreMo and thought it would be better to give a more in-depth post in a new thread rather than edit all of my old posts in the original thread.

Coins Galore is a game in which you are a sphere (or a marble) and your objective is to collect all of the coins in the level to open up the WARP GATE to the next level. While there are no enemies, there is a good element to the game: if you fall, you lose 15 points off of your score. I couldn't get any enemy system to work very well, so that's why I made it the way it is.

In my original thread I posted many screen shots of the game in progress. Here are some official Level on and two screen shots as they will appear in the final game:

Level One:

Level Two:

Level Two random screen:

System requirements:

For XP users: 7.33 MB HDD space, 256 MB RAM, 800x600 display resolution, and a decent video card

For Vista users: 7.33 MB HDD space, 512 MB RAM, 800x600 display resolution, and a decent video card.

Controls:

Arrow keys to move accordingly and spacebar to jump.

Enjoy! And I apologize again for starting a new thread.

EDIT: It would help if I gave the download link, wouldn't it?

Here ya' go:

http://www.upload.verongames.com/showfile-85/cgdemo.zip

Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2009 04:10
Pretty cool. I do not like how the camera 'dances' when you hit a red coin, other than that, it is pretty cool. ;D

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 15th Jan 2009 18:33
Thanks for the feedback! I can't prevent the camera from dancing, unfortunately. I don't like it very much either, it is a bit annoying.

I have made a few advancements in the programming of the game:

Level Three is operational (though not yet complete) and adds a new element to the game.

New texture for the marble.

Those are indeed small advancements, but they're advancements nonetheless! I can't wait to get this done.

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2009 20:39
Actually very fun.. even though navigation is a bit hard when playing it the first time (A simple shadow right below the sphere might help?). However, you should make use of some more alternative level-design-techniques in the later levels, but it seems as if you already know that.

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2009 20:51
Hi Yodaman, I just tried it out and have some feedback for you:

- The controls are annoying because keyboards (at least mine, and the one I tried at school) don't allow two arrow keys and spacebar to be pressed at the same time. I know it's not a big deal, because you don't often have to press three buttons at a time, but it happened often enough to me to be really annoying.

- The game occasionally seems to slow down MASSIVELY, probably 1/2 or 1/3 of the normal frame rate. It seems to happen mostly when dieing/coming back to life. Once it's slowed down, it also goes away, but less often when dieing.

- I strongly recommend you add a texture plane as a shadow under the ball. This helps the player see depth in the world, and how far he is jumping.

- A personal preference of mine, would be an option for using the mouse to turn. Not a game-breaking deal though.

- I would like to see some levels with things like moving blocks, other special coins, and pickups that give the player better jumping, movement speed or other upgrades.

I hope I don't sound too critical, because it's quite a neat idea, I enjoyed playing it and I'm looking forward to the next release.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "anks for the feedback! I can't prevent the camera from dancing, unfortunately. I don't like it very much either, it is a bit annoying."

By the looks of the shaking you have Autocam on, it's on by default. Use the "autocam off" command.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 16th Jan 2009 01:26
Quote: "-The game occasionally seems to slow down MASSIVELY, probably 1/2 or 1/3 of the normal frame rate. It seems to happen mostly when dieing/coming back to life."

I believe that happens because I used the sleep 1000 command. However why that happens when you respawn is beyond me, but if that's the only time the program froze, that's because of the sleep command.
Quote: "
- I strongly recommend you add a texture plane as a shadow under the ball. This helps the player see depth in the world, and how far he is jumping."

I could do that pretty easily I suppose, but the plain would most likely jump with the character, as I don't know how I would control the plain to only stay on the platforms (unless I only control the X/Z axis'?).

Quote: "- The controls are annoying because keyboards (at least mine, and the one I tried at school) don't allow two arrow keys and spacebar to be pressed at the same time. I know it's not a big deal, because you don't often have to press three buttons at a time, but it happened often enough to me to be really annoying."

I have no idea at all how I would fix that. I'm not witty or clever enough to think of a way to fix that. Sorry!

Quote: "- I would like to see some levels with things like moving blocks, other special coins, and pickups that give the player better jumping, movement speed or other upgrades."

All I'll say is that level three is TOTALLY different and includes many of the things you mentioned above. The platforms have a completely different visual style and the elevators are pretty cool (I think). I'll post a screenshot soon in my next update post.
I hope I don't sound too critical"

Not at all, draknir_! That's very constructive and helps me a lot. Thanks!

Quote: "By the looks of the shaking you have Autocam on, it's on by default. Use the "autocam off" command."

Whoops! Fixing now. Thanks!

I'll be sure to post a new screen shot soon, after I optimize the levels a bit. Thanks for the great feedback everyone!

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2009 01:34 Edited at: 16th Jan 2009 01:37
Yeah, whenever a new object is created DBC likes to put it into view, unless you update the camera, autocam off turns this "feature" off.

Edit: The game is really fun though, continue with it!

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2009 03:04
Quote: "I believe that happens because I used the sleep 1000 command. However why that happens when you respawn is beyond me, but if that's the only time the program froze, that's because of the sleep command."

Hmm... it was a drop in framerate, not a freeze. It was quite random and didn't seem to be tied to any event other than the player dieing.

Quote: "I could do that pretty easily I suppose, but the plain would most likely jump with the character, as I don't know how I would control the plain to only stay on the platforms (unless I only control the X/Z axis'?)."

The way I would do it is check whether there is a platform directly underneath the player. If there is no platform within x units of the player, don't draw the shadow. If there is, position it at the player x/z and the y of the platform.

Quote: "I have no idea at all how I would fix that. I'm not witty or clever enough to think of a way to fix that. Sorry!"

It's as simple as mapping the jump key to something else The problem is caused because keyboards have keys grouped according to function, and each block of keys can't send more than a certain number of signals. Have the jump key be control, alt, shift, Z, or have an option for the user to setup the controls to their liking.

Quote: "All I'll say is that level three is TOTALLY different and includes many of the things you mentioned above. The platforms have a completely different visual style and the elevators are pretty cool (I think). I'll post a screenshot soon in my next update post. "

Looking forward to it.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 16th Jan 2009 03:09 Edited at: 16th Jan 2009 05:33
Using the Autocam off command fixed the dancing camera! Now the new platforms appear without any dizzy spell occuring. Thanks Satchmo!

Here is the screen shot I promised:

You can see the shadow. However, I had to go into Blender and model the sphere and attach the shadow plain, then use the SET OBJECT command to removed the black surrounding the shadow. I don't know how one would do anything else to create a shadow effect. Does anybody have any ideas on how I might do that? The shadow (since it's part of the sphere) jumps with the character too. I really don't like that, but it's the best I can do.

Quote: "The way I would do it is check whether there is a platform directly underneath the player. If there is no platform within x units of the player, don't draw the shadow. If there is, position it at the player x/z and the y of the platform."

Can I request an example from you draknir_? I think I know what you're saying, but I have no idea how to implement that.

OK, here are some minor improvements:

Jump key is now the control key.

Mis-placed platforms are adjusted.

Dancing camera is gone.

Things to work on:

Finish constructing level three.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2009 19:45
Make plain with shadow texture and move that plain with player x and z cordinaates and keep y always on floor.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 16th Jan 2009 20:16
Yeah, but the platforms are scattered about...some are even as high as 60 units! So that technique wouldn't work exactly.

I decided to remove the shadow for now, and I also have started setting the sound volume for certain things (music and other sounds that needed to be louder and/or more quiet). I'm also going to optimize it just a bit more by removing the RED COINS counter, as that has no actual function. I was thinking about making it do something, but it's actually quite useless.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 18th Jan 2009 00:14
*sigh* Guys, I can't exactly 'complete' my game for NaGaCreMo. School is getting really busy and I have two reports due on Monday, and it's only going to get busier from there. I CAN finish level three and make an end screen displaying the final high score, but the game won't have the full five levels I wanted it to. So here's my plan...

Either tomorrow or Monday evening, I'll create the final .EXE and upload it. After purchasing DBPro (hopefully in Spring or Summer) I'll re-write the engine, optimizing performance and actually using correct programming techniques (I currently am not using functions or subroutines, and I believe it is having a detrimental effect on the whole performance as for each new level I have to write the same darn code over and over), and for now I'll release Coins Galore v1.0. I also have to perform a few experiments before I can complete the game in DBPro later on. But I promise (in due time) that the game WILL BE COMPLETE. Just not this month.

I'm really sorry.

See my new thread [Coins Galore Official Demo] in WIP!
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2009 19:16
I know you're not working on this right now, but to keep the shadow on the platform below your player, cast a ray from your player to a couple hundred units below your player using Intersect Object, which will telly you the distance from your player to the first face hit by the ray. Then move the shadow down by that many units.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 19th Jan 2009 20:38
OK, here's the 'final' version *sigh*. Well, as final as I can get it for now.

http://www.upload.verongames.com/showfile-87/coinsgalore.zip

I apologize for not being able to 'complete it' complete it. However I've already started plotting how V.1.5 will run: I plan on having a menu (based off of the Binary Moon tutorials but HEAVILY modified) and maybe a high score table, but of course I have to learn how to write files for such a feature, and I expect that will take a little while (though it does seem like a fairly straight-forward technique according to the DB help files).

Enjoy everyone! A ReadMe is included.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 19th Jan 2009 22:24
@Yodaman Jer,

i just finished the demo, and definitely enjoyed it the thought put into the level design/layout was noted, appreciated, and provided the primary "fun factor", for me. good job!

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 19:12
Quite fun

Some suggestions:

- Maybe add an optional timed mode, so you either get a high-score based on how fast you complete it, or you have to finish it within the allotted time.

- Don't hard-code the levels into the game. Keep them as separate files (will make it easier to add levels because you only have to give people the level files instead of a whole game).

- Make the background more interesting, (make nebulae and things, or make it animated)

- Power-ups (like super jump or slow-motion when jumping)

[b]Yuor signutare was aresed by a deslyxic mud...
BOX2D V2 HAS HELP FILES! AND A WIKI!
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Yodaman, I can help you with making a level system if you want, so you don't have to hard code each one.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 00:25
Quote: "- Maybe add an optional timed mode, so you either get a high-score based on how fast you complete it, or you have to finish it within the allotted time."

That's something I plan to do, however I have to learn just how to do that. Trust me, I hardly know anything about programming.

Hey Yodaman, I can help you with making a level system if you want, so you don't have to hard code each one."

Satchmo, that would be fantastic! I'm actually studying (as we speak) just how to read/write files in DBC. I'm studying TDK_Man's tutorials for file access. I can just barely understand what it all means, but I'm getting there. Slowly but surely..

One of the things I really want to do for the game (in its later production) is add a menu where you can access a high score table. I know that using Array's is the way to go about that, so I will embark on doing an experiment such as this...

I'm thinking it would look like that?

Anyway, Satchmo, thanks again for offering help! I'll definitely be sending an email to you soon.

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Played the latest demo, and your game has definitely improved. I like how each level adds on another layer to the gameplay.

Some suggestions/bugs:
Why is control jump? I could have swore it was space before! Why not have both jump?
Why two buttons to move the elevators? You could just use one button for the same purpose, or even have them move automatically.
Horizontal moving platforms move out from under the player.
You can jump of everything, including sides of block, coins, and the warpgate! In level two, I jumped off the warpgate and fell down, but the level never restarted.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 17:36:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 17:36:44