Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Lets all help Green Gandalf get a new PC - ends 31st March

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 19:15 Edited at: 1st Apr 2009 18:35
It has come to my attention that Green Gandalf, the tireless helper outer and writer and teacher of shader technology, is actually doing all his great work on a very old pc. I don't know how to do this, and I hope the mods allow this, but I think it would be nice for everyone in the community who has benefited from his work to chip in a few dollars towards an up to date rig. I've seen some stuff on the internet where you can donate to causes. Perhaps we can discuss the amount we'd like to raise, and GG could let us know what he prefers, AMD, or the other guys (guess which one I like). I know times are tough right now for everyone, and its hard to part with your hard earned cash, but think about how much more efficient GG would be at helping us out if he had a faster pc. Thoughts and comments

EDIT:
ok, its on! Everyone, MODERATORS IanM and Batvink have agreed to handle the donations, all you have to do is send some money, via Paypal, to IanM's Paypal account, using his email account:

www.paypal.com
click on the send money tab, enter in IanM's email, and follow the prompts

ian@matrix1.demon.co.uk

OR
through this website Batvink has setup:
(sorry Batvink, I should have did this edit along time ago. Please forgive me )

http://www.devink.co.uk/gg/ggf.html

IanM will update the amounts on a daily basis, and I'll edit this here to reflect the current balance. I'd like to list everyone who contributes, but if you prefer to remain anonymous, that is ok as well.

Goal $1,000.00 USD, 695.00GBP.
Approximate Current balance 861.95 USD, 603.32 GBP
Conversions according to this site:
http://www.xe.com

Contributors:
Cash Curtis II
IanM
BatVink
KISTech
Garzu
Benjamin
Super Nova
Chris K
draknir_
Roxas
Todd Riggins
pdq
Visigoth
Mistrel
Virtual Nomad
Sid Sinister
BillR
Lucifer
Scraggle
Nathaniel
Ron Erickson
trogdor
J_C
greenlig
peterJBE
Aralox
Mandread
Demon000
GeeBee
mr_d
Darth Vader
Terrorist Zero
Morcilla

DONATIONS ARE CLOSED.

Well, what a ride this was. We almost hit our goal. Very, very close. But, I'm sure GG can get something nice with that sum of money. All of you who donated, you did a good thing. I'm sure GG wil be able to crank out some really nice shaders with his new pc. And, even though we didn't quite make the goal, I'm sure he can get something much much better than his current pc.
So, everyone who donated, I salute you.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 19:19 Edited at: 27th Mar 2009 14:25
This is a fantastic idea. I'll contribute $100 if we can organize this in a reliable way. We should shoot for something concrete, as well. This should probably go to Geek Culture.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 19:25
holy crap Cash, you must be loaded! I can't afford that, I was thinking alot of folks chip in like 5 bucks each, but, hey, that will surely help him get his rig faster. Also, GG should let us know if he prefers to build it himself, or, a ready made unit. And, we would need someone very trustworthy to handle this account. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe Batvink or IanM, since they are mods and so close to TGC and GG.
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 19:30
this is a good idea

dont hate people who rip you off,cheat and get away with it, learn from them
Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 19:32
I think its a great idea, and I'll donate if I can get some extra cash together. Perhaps Green Gandalf can set up a donation button via payapl on his website? That's the best way I know to do it.

If the good lord had intended us to go outside or have a social life, he wouldn't have invented the internet.
www.threeswordsproductions.com
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 19:36 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2009 19:37
The best way for us to do it is to Paypal the money directly to someone specific, like Batvink or IanM. Asking GG to set up a donate button would be silly and defeat the whole purpose.

Also, to keep it simple, we should just buy a ready made gaming system. I think the only question that GG would need to answer is if he'd prefer a gaming laptop or desktop.

Come see the WIP!
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 19:36
Count me in.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 19:40 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2009 19:41
Let me check how much i have in paypal =)

//E lol 50snt, i dont use paypal as you can see But hope its enough.

Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
My paypal balance is $1.18 USD and i'd gladly contribute to something like this, such community spirit everyone has here , if i sell some music while the money is still being gathered i'll throw in some extra cash

in Austrlia, there is a really red sun, u got a red sun in sky too?
cyangamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 20:26
I guess I'll contribute something. I haven't uses any of his stuff, but chances are I will later down the road.

Currently working on - Enemy AI using Dark A.I. I probably should've looked at the reviews in the Dark Physics and Dark A.I. forum first.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 20:46
I'll give £5

-= Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals =-
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 21:02
If I was a minor (which I cant confirm ), how would I go about helping out?

PGDO. it consumes my every waking moment, that is not already being eaten by work / school / sleeping
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 21:08
Quote: "If I was a minor (which I cant confirm ), how would I go about helping out?"

You would ask your dad to Paypal some money. $20 wouldn't hurt anything.

Come see the WIP!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 21:19
Is there an easy way to transfer (donate or whatever) money to a Paypal account without having to set up one?

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 21:25 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2009 21:27
No, basically you have to set one up. They do have an express system, of sorts, to do it with. It's no different than say, making a payment to Amazon.com for the first time with a credit card. Paypal takes the payment and passes it along to the target Paypal account. So if you have a credit card it's no problem to do.

Paypal is great though, I think you'll be glad to have an account once you do. I've got three credit cards and two bank accounts tied to mine, I can make secure payments to anyone anytime I want. I also have a Paypal debit card and can withdraw money from my Paypal account. It's the best way to get paid for jobs over the Internet.

Come see the WIP!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 21:56
Thanks for volunteering me Visigoth/Cash Actually, I'd love to help.

@Benjamin,
Once you have your account set up, you can run it at zero balance. I've kept mine at zero for several years, and just transfer money in when I need to pay for something.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 21:59
Cool. Should we Paypal the money to the e-mail address in your profile? Are you ready now?

Come see the WIP!
pdq
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm in. I do have a PayPal account.

Even if it is enough money for him to get a new video card. Right
now I think he is working with a Geforce 5200.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 22:28
Quote: "Should we Paypal the money to the e-mail address in your profile?"

Yes, that's the email address to use. I currently have that zero balance I was talking about, so it'll be dead easy to manage.

Several things first, questions and a little protection for all of us:
- what's the target figure/system?
- what's the deadline?
- if things don't go to plan, I will refund all money transferred to the best of my ability, returning my account to zero balance - all donations will be measured at their converted GBP value as it arrives at my account, and not your transfer currency.
- if you'd like an email receipt of your transaction, email me directly when you donate.

Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 22:44
Thanks for your help, IanM. I was wondering if we could do one of those things where there is a donation meter, so we could see the progress of donations. But if not, thats ok. I think GG has to weigh in here about what he needs, like Cash said, laptop or desktop, etc. Once we know what he needs, we could go from there. I think no matter what, if we can't raise enough to get him a new pc outright, I'm sure we can get him some upgrades. Once we get something decided, maybe the donation thread could be stickied, and just monitor the balance until there is enough to get GG a new pc, or, maybe a month has gone by. that should give everyone enough time to contribute.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 22:50 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2009 22:52
Payment sent, $100 USD.

If I might suggest...
We should shoot for a target of $1000. Here's a good system...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001FW9ICI/ref=nosim/11234-20
Gateway Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 Gaming Desktop Computer - FX6710-01

According to this review for 2009...
http://gaming-pc-review.toptenreviews.com/
That series lands a cool #2 with a good price. According to Amazon.com it has free shipping. We shall see, I suppose.

Donate or be dead to the forum. An upgrade won't do, only a new computer will.

Come see the WIP!
Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 23:08 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2009 23:11
check out newegg.com too. I don't know if they ship to the UK, but, some sweet deals there too. I kinda like the Phenoms, and, with the low low prices, can maybe get him a monitor to boot.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=10&name=Desktop-PCs
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 23:16
Nice systems guys, but wrong country - you can't get that on Amazon uk and newegg don't ship to the uk.

@Cash,
I've received your payment, but paypal took a $4.20 bite from it in fees. It probably shows how much I don't use paypal, but that's the first time I've seen them deduct a fee.

@Visigoth,
I have no problem with giving a running total every so often - I'll update once a day if the amount has changed when I get home from work (snow permitting )

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 23:18
Paypal takes fees from the receiver of money only. You might get extra fees with it doing conversions and such from $ USD too.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 23:24
I've only lost money when converting currencies. Did you convert to British Pounds? In any event 4.2% will only amount to $42 by the end of it.

If this doesn't work out everyone should be prepared for an 8% loss on the refund. So it needs to work out

Come see the WIP!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 23:37
Quote: "Did you convert to British Pounds?"

I've done nothing except to receive the payment. I'll make sure I take care to track the payments in both GBP and original currencies.

Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 23:42
ok, so this was quick! I guess its official then, $1000.00 target (after fees), and send to IanM's paypal account. I'll edit the top post so people can get the Paypal info. And after IanM updates the totals, I'll edit the top post again. I guess when the total is ready, GG can tell IanM which PC from a UK supplier, and IanM can make the transaction.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 23:45
Thanks for volunteering Ian, saved me a job!!!

This has to be unprecedented!

Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 00:44 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2009 00:47
I just noticed something on the Paypal fees page. To receive funds, there is a service charge if the funds are sent with credit/debit cards to a personal account. However, if you send the funds using the eCheck method, there are no fees. Also, it says for personal accounts, there is a limit of 5 credit card transactions per month, so I don't know if this will affect the fundraising effort. So, if you have Paypal, and you are going to donate, the eCheck method may be the best route. I already donated, and used credit (doh). IanM, do you think this will be a problem?

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside
Xsnip3rX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 02:02
I only have 1.33 in my account atm but in a week or so i can contribute alot more when i get my tax return, and i'll do some modeling work and 50% of the income from that will go straight to GG.

Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 02:33 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2009 02:33
Quote: "Donate or be dead to the forum."

That's a bit drastic, don't you think? Chances are you may be joking or being melodramatic, but still.
Not everyone has $100 just sitting around. My entire bank account is less than $100 at the moment. I'll see if can manage to get something together to help out, but I doubt I'll be able to.
If you can help, by all means, do it; good for you. But to say people will be dead to you if they don't donate? Harsh.
Again, if you said that jokingly or something, forget I said anything.
Sarcasm/joking doesn't carry well over the internet.

If the good lord had intended us to go outside or have a social life, he wouldn't have invented the internet.
www.threeswordsproductions.com
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 02:53 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2009 02:54
Quote: "I just noticed something on the Paypal fees page. To receive funds, there is a service charge if the funds are sent with credit/debit cards to a personal account. However, if you send the funds using the eCheck method, there are no fees. Also, it says for personal accounts, there is a limit of 5 credit card transactions per month, so I don't know if this will affect the fundraising effort. So, if you have Paypal, and you are going to donate, the eCheck method may be the best route. I already donated, and used credit (doh)."

Personal accounts are also limited to receiving a total of $500 per month and are limited to 5 credit card deposits per year unless it's a premier/business account. If it's not a personal account transactions are charged a fee of 2.9% + $0.30 USD.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/helpscr?cmd=_display-fees

I'll pledge my support as well.

Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 02:54 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2009 03:11
I would like to donate, but I, again, am jobless. I really do think this is an awsome idea and also think GG well deserves this. An awsome community getting awsomer!

Edit: Vis, no offense was taken, I'm sure he was kidding. Just wanted to at least add positive support.

Inspirational Music: Descent ][ Redbook Audio CD Soundtrack
Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 03:04
ok, guys, I'm pretty sure Cash was kidding around. Obviously, Cash has benefited alot from GG's help, and he is showing his appreciation. Don't take offense. And if you don't have the money, don't worry. This is just an effort to help someone out who really has earned it. I would never expect anyone in dire straights to send money for this effort. But, if you do have a few disposable dollars, believe me, I can't think of a single person on this board who is more worthy to receive this. So, noone is going to be thought of badly for not contributing. And GG didn't ask for this, it was my thought, my idea. I just think a guy with his talent, and dedication, and of course willingness to help out ANYONE who asks, deserves to have the proper tools at his disposal. So if you can, send a couple bucks, but if you can't don't sweat it.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 08:49 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2009 08:51
*** Ian / Visigoth, please confirm you are OK with this as a way to maximise donations and resolve any potential problems ****

Given the potential problems, I have set up an alternative way to pay. I can only do set amounts, the charges are 1.5% + 15p per transaction. I'm happy to take these donations, and pass the money on to Ian or someone else by bank transfer, which doesn't cost me anything.

http://www.devink.co.uk/gg/ggf.html

I will not accept any transaction that isn't confirmed here or by email - I would prefer you to email me with your forum name and name as seen in the transaction.

I will list all donations so that you can keep me accountable. If you prefer to remain anonymous, let me know by email.

Please also note for this or for Ian's method, paying by credit card may be seen as a cash transaction by the CC company, which will incur a cash withdrawal fee. It's unlikely, but possible

Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 09:04
I don't have a problem with it. Pretty cool setup, actually. Thanks Batvink!
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 14:14
What an extraordinary turn of events.

I have to say that I'm almost, but not completely ( ), stunned into silence by the kind words and generousity of posters on this thread.

It says a lot about this forum. As BatVink says: "This has to be unprecedented!".

What started out as a joke (or so I thought) has suddenly been taken up seriously by the community and I need to decide what to do - and soon. So, here are my thoughts.

1. Should I accept the offer? Yes, I will. People are free to donate or not and it would be rude to turn down such well-intended offers - especially since collection, with its attendant difficulties, has already begun! But please, I really don't expect help from anyone who's short of cash - the thought alone is more than enough.

2. What do I really need? I'm looking for a desktop PC which is PS2, 3 and 4 capable and has all the speed, memory and RAM that I'm likely to need for a few years - and is expected to be reliable (my present PC was purchased in 2001 and has served me well ). My problem is that the subtleties of different hardware configurations just confuse me and perhaps the single most useful thing the community could do is to recommend a specific setup which I could order soon. Any financial contribution would be gratefully received as well, of course.

What most of you probably don't know is that I'm retiring from my main employment this coming July (I'll be 60 in May ) and am intending to spend far more time on activities for this forum - so a brand new PC would be an ideal way to start, especially if partly contributed to by this community.

I do feel more than a little awkward and embarrassed by the whole idea - brought about more by my inability to decide on a new PC system than any financial considerations. My wife says that I fully deserve any embarrassment that I might feel - she has been nagging me to upgrade for years.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 14:27 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2009 14:29
@BatVink,
No problem - just let me know who and how much (in GBP).

Quote: "I already donated, and used credit (doh). IanM, do you think this will be a problem?"

I don't think so.

@Anyone else,
Make sure you do a personal transfer, not using a credit/debit card. Also, cross-currency payments are at retail (2.5% above wholesale conversions) and there may also be a 0.5% fee too. This will ensure that as much of the money as possible gets into GG's hands at the end of the day.

[EDIT]
I just saw this in the first post:
Quote: "I'd like to list everyone who contributes, but if you prefer to remain anonymous, that is ok as well"

If you don't say otherwise, your donation will be anonymous.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 14:29 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2009 15:24
Quote: "I do feel more than a little awkward and embarrassed by the whole idea"

Understandable, this is pretty rare in a forum like this and I'm sure nothing like it has ever happened before.

I think that the main thing is a lot of us feel that we owe you something for all your help, and if that also benefits the help you can give in future, then it's a no-brainer. I hope enough money is raised to get you a base PC with a good GFX card at least.

There are a lot of good UK based companies who would build the whole PC and provide guarantees etc - maybe once enough money is raised someone could go looking for a few options and let you choose.

Forgot to say, it looks like the paypal method costs 4% of the amount, which is weird - like you pay them their 'cut', you'd have to leave your money in the bank for a whole year to cover it. You'd think in this economic climate they'd be more welcoming to money transfers!.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 14:30
When I get paid, i'd also like to donate! Sounds like a noble way to spend my hard earned rather than wasting it on rubbish! lol

3700+ Athlon 64 - Geforce 7600 GS - 2GbDDR2 RAM - 40Gb Hdd (In this pc) - Windows Vista Ultimate (x86)
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 14:44
Will donating via BatVink's method using a debit card be fine?

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 14:55 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2009 14:57
I didn't use a credit card, I debited directly from my bank. I was surprised to see the 4.2% charge as well. It hardly matters though.

@Benjamin - Yes, that's how I paid for the convention two years ago.

Come see the WIP!
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 16:33
25p sent.

I'll do it again tomorrow, since that was the largest choice. The intention was 50.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 17:04
I tried doing it BatVink's way and the page just kept telling me to enter my card number.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 17:09
OK, let's get down to details. Here's a UK link that Scraggle gave me at the convention (where's my brain been since then?):

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/

Any suggestions/comments? I quite like the look of the Gamer Infinity series (about halfway down the page).

This is getting serious. I guess people are getting fed up with me saying that their latest demo runs at 0 to 1 fps or runs out of memory on my PC.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 17:31
Quote: "25p sent.

I'll do it again tomorrow, since that was the largest choice. The intention was 50."

If you are referring to my page, then it's 25 POUNDS - around 45 - 50 USD

Quote: "I tried doing it BatVink's way and the page just kept telling me to enter my card number. "

Yes, it's a card payment system, not related to PayPal in any way, shape or form.

Garzu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 17:32
donated £25, may look again when I get paid at end of month

thanks for all your help in explaining shaders GG

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 17:35
Quote: "Yes, it's a card payment system, not related to PayPal in any way, shape or form."

I know this.

Super Nova
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 17:36
I would like to donate, but would prefer using paypal. IanM, are you still accepting payments via your account or have we switched to use BatVinks method?

"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion."
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 17:40
Benjamin, it should just work like any other payment system. In the UK, it would ask for a security number, for example. There must be some missing information, or error.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:53:35
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:53:35