Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 06:21 Edited at: 21st Oct 2010 05:53
I've relocated this content to my website as some of these links were dead.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 06:32
Sigh, looks like you win again.

/me cancels project

White Fang 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 13:09
You win
/me cancels project I never started

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 14:16
Maybe I can still make the top 10...

But seriously, this looks amazing. The explosions and lasers look absolutely incredible.

Oh, and what's up with the 'Tris' display in the corner? Are there seriously two triangles, or does that stand for something else?

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 14:38
You have got to be kidding me!!

I'd love to play a demo to see how screwed I am

That looks very good...

Good Job

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 15:11
Looks really good, and I like the ship designs. My only grip is the very bright pastel GUI. I'd say stick with a simple transparent grey/black color scheme. Less hurtful on the eyes.

Good luck with your project.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 18:33
Pft, you shall never win mr Dark Coder sir. ... although your project does look about 17 times better than mine, I am sure that you shall crash and burn.

juuuuuust kiiiding. That looks flipping amazing, and I like the originality you brought to the table. Good luck, I look foward to playing that

I wish I had access to board 17.
sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 03:02
@ dark coder

I don't mean to upset you, but don't you think that you could have given it a miss this time just to let some one else win for once?

here's a trade off do a half as good job, and see just how good you?

would this game still play/be as good as if it did with a lot more basic graphics, and shaders if any?

come on play nice dark coder let others play the good game to

by the way this game looks good, as most of your games do.

Edit

don't take this as an insult be cos its not meant to be, I just think you don't need to win this time, as you have won the last comp.

let me know what you think / let me have it for telling you what you should and should not do... lol

soul sucking devils, twisted body of the damed, slivering slim drips from every poor, sin licking at your ears, and the smell stinging your eyes, and if you don't like it, get out of my kitchen!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 03:22
I do agree that the battle for 1st place is always one sided when dark coder competes. I say we have him banned from the forums entirely.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 03:40
What?! No way, let him give what hes got. Thats like that kid who got taken out of little leage because he was SO good. Just because some one excels at what they do doesnt mean you need to get rid of 'em.

Isnt this what its all about? Overcoming the top dog?

I wish I had access to board 17.
Bad Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
We haven't seen Mike Inel's (sp?) game yet. He might enter still, we never know.

His work is very good, and he's been focusing on smaller games lately.

Dark coder's game looks nice.

Visit my website:
http://www.artistsareus.com
sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 05:28
I don't think dark coder should be booted just for being good at what he dose, I just think he should be made to do it with one arm tide behind his back... lol!

he is a ninja he could do it hard core stilly!

soul sucking devils, twisted body of the damed, slivering slim drips from every poor, sin licking at your ears, and the smell stinging your eyes, and if you don't like it, get out of my kitchen!
sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 05:50
@ dark coder

I hate to say this but you should be doing this for a living.

I would kill to have the skills like you have for making games, and I think you are wasting your life with things like this, when you could be earning big bucks making them for a living.

I think instead of giving you points and cash, tgc should find you a job within the industry, that's if you win.

but I think that you will, an less a better competitor comes along, that's not to say that any of the others are crap, but come on, you do have quit a good looking game there.

however you have helped me in the past so I thank you for that, keep up the good work, and I hope all go's well.

but I still think your head should explode for being to smug about your greatness at this type of thing.

not to say that you have ever said any thing like "I am the grate dark coder neal before me!" but your demo's say it all for you.

SMUG G~T!

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 07:56 Edited at: 31st Mar 2009 07:58
Quote: "Oh, and what's up with the 'Tris' display in the corner? Are there seriously two triangles, or does that stand for something else?"

That's tris rendered from the main camera, and due to my post processing this is just 2(a quad).

Quote: "My only grip is the very bright pastel GUI"

Are you referring to the orange GUI panels or the voronoi graph on the ship page? If it's the latter then I'll change those when I can be bothered, currently I just picked random literal values that were different.

Quote: "I don't mean to upset you, but don't you think that you could have given it a miss this time just to let some one else win for once?"

I have a title to uphold! So... Nevervreveeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Quote: "don't take this as an insult be cos its not meant to be, I just think you don't need to win this time, as you have won the last comp."

Actually I've won the last 4 compos .

Quote: "I hate to say this but you should be doing this for a living."

Oh I plan to, it's just that coming up with a good game idea that would sell and won't take me an age to make is amazingly difficult.

Quote: "I would kill to have the skills like you have for making games, and I think you are wasting your life with things like this, when you could be earning big bucks making them for a living."

I probably could, but GDK is very limited in many areas and I doubt I'd be able to make the kind of games I'm after that easily using it, and writing my own engine will take a bit of time as there's quite a bit for me to research and implement. So it's nice to put some of my many game ideas into practice, think of it as a more extreme prototype!

Anyway, I haven't added much in terms of what can be shown in screenshots but I've made 2 new ship models: the basic ship core is now an egg and I've finished one of the first tier ships, you can see them both here: [20]. I've offloaded the starfield and star textures and colours to my config files so the stars are pretty much randomly coloured and you can add more types easily. I fixed a load of bugs and I think it's currently bug free.

There's not that much left to add really without it becoming more than a minigame so I'll just finish off the menus and release a demo and polish it off.

Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't kick him out! I'm looking forward to browsing through the source code for this one! Looking smart though.

Not for this compo, but for a general game I was thinking of something similar with an upgradeable ship. You'd be able to stick on wings to carry more weapons, or bigger engines to move more quickly, but the downside is that your ship is a larger target for the enemy.
Turtle Soup
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 14:14
nice
im loving the missile trails...or whatever that is the trail of.

It makes me laugh how people are genuinly wanting you out. Its only a bit of fun :/

good luck anyway I should get back to mine.

sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 15:35
Quote: "I have a title to uphold! So... Nevervreveeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrr."

I was hoping you would respond like that... lol

I liked the new look of photos, can't wait to see the finished demo.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 03:43
!

Cool!

Now my goal is to beat him at the next one...

Ah, who a I kidding

Very cool game idea

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 04:14 Edited at: 1st Apr 2009 04:15
Blows my cheesy little game out of the water. You're good man, you wouldn't have any trouble getting a job in the gaming industry with stuff like this on your resume.

As for GDK being limited: I use Dark Basic Pro, and I don't think that's very limited in terms of the kind of game you can make, so how limited can GDK be? If you wanted to do stuff other than games, then yeah I could see how DBPro/GDK are limited, but their whole purpose is for making games anyway. Granted, I've only really started getting into making games with this whole competition thing so I have very little coding experience, but I DO consider myself to be quite familiar with alot of the commands in DBPro (I waste a LOT of time looking through the help files).

But whatever, I'm getting really off topic. You're game's awesome and I would be very surprised if it didn't win.
Mr Bigger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 10:10
It looks great dark coder,you are very talented.

It also looks to busy for me,the pics got my eyeballs buggin.
I'm sure it's just my old age talking though,keep up the good work.

@Everyone else
I'm sure theres plenty of store credits for everyone.

AMD 2600+/1GB ram/GeForce 6600oc 256MB/W2KPro/DBPro 6.6.b
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2009 23:10
This is quite possibly the best game idea I've ever read. Put the mechanics of Spore into a (IMO) more fun gameplay setting and the result is just going to be pure WIN.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2009 11:18 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2009 11:24
Thanks for the comments people(as always)!

Quote: "As for GDK being limited: I use Dark Basic Pro, and I don't think that's very limited in terms of the kind of game you can make, so how limited can GDK be?"

Very limited in some areas. For instance the shader support is rather bad, only half the methods in the ID3DXBaseEffect are wrapped so you have no way to set constant arrays or even get any constants, no way to set global array values(across all shaders) without manually applying them to all. No way to set individual shader values for each object forcing you to load a million shaders if you want objects that use the same shader to have different parameters. The terrible vector and matrix support; I don't even know why these command sets were kept in the GDK version when you have access to D3DXVECTOR2/3/4 and D3DXMATRIX which are the exact same thing, just not crap(except all the shader functions require the GDK vectors/matrices). But alas, these issues will never get fixed and there's loads more so I won't rant on about them any more.

Quote: "It also looks to busy for me,the pics got my eyeballs buggin."

Indeed, we love bullet hell! Except the spam of bullets comes from you as well.

Quote: "This is quite possibly the best game idea I've ever read. Put the mechanics of Spore into a (IMO) more fun gameplay setting and the result is just going to be pure WIN."

I originally thought so too but there's some major issues I'm coming up with here. Currently the AI ships have the ability to mutate into better ship cores that have lots of links and have lots of guns. This is fine, but because they can do this after a few mutations, a single wave of 5 enemy ships spraying giant arcs of bullets can quickly lead to your eventual death as there's almost no way to evade some of these ships. Even if you kill them they'll just spawn again and eventually destroy enough of your ship until you die and I have no idea how to remedy this.

I've been looking at videos of and playing various shmups and pretty much all of them give the player ship the major one up in terms of fire power and the non-boss enemies are usually just rubbish. They move onto the screen and shoot every few seconds using very slow projectiles and can be killed with a few hits, the boss is usually much stronger but there's always a way to always dodge its fire and some weak spot you must hit to kill it. As my game is pretty much procedural with regard to the enemies and they can potentially all pilot the same ship as you or better how do I balance this? I've made a few AI-only ships where you get the standard weak hull and it fires a few bullets every few seconds and they are great and all, but it kinda makes it similar to other shmups and only leaves the mutation to your ship(though they do still vary in size and stuff).

So how do I fix this? I could just make it so that all enemies are pretty much pre-made but you still get full control over your ship's parts, this would allow me to very easily balance the levels, but it kinda strays from the original concept.

Oh, and no one likes a text-only post: [21]

The ships you kill now drop DNA strands which are like points you use to adjust your DNA, this stops you hiding in the corner of the map and forces you to move if you want to modify your ship.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2009 14:12
The inevitable play balance issue...seems developers hit this wall very often. On one hand you actually have a realistic shooter that even though can be very tough, presents a more 'realistic' approach to a shooter. Though on the other hand this can deter people from actually playing it. I actually like the idea of enemies being able to pilot ships exactly like the players, makes it challenging.

As for a remedy, apart from dumping down the AI or constricting what the AI can choose for as upgrades for their ships, I have no clue. I know that doesn't help you, but seriously if you stupify the AI it might not be as fun. Though I haven't actually tried the game yet, so maybe after a demo run I could give more feedback.

Good luck though, the game looks great.

Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
If the player has to collect DNA strands in order to upgrade their ship, then there must be a points value assigned to the various components. Perhaps the AI can be assigned a pool of points from which to build its ships from.

If it buys a more capable hull, then it can only afford a few wings and guns. If it goes for more guns, then the hull will be weaker and easier to destroy.

Ofcourse coding the AI so that it picks a few different (but useful) combinations might be tricky. There'd be little point in the AI buying a decent hull, a few wings, and then not having enough points to place guns on the wings.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2009 14:57
Quote: "I actually like the idea of enemies being able to pilot ships exactly like the players, makes it challenging."

If this wasn't a side scroller I'd agree with you, in many games giving the enemy the same or superior weapons usually isn't an issue because you can always outsmart the AI(usually...). However, because there's a limited playing field and the weapons can essentially point in any direction; Given enough enemies and weapons you will always lose, no matter how stupid I make the AI.

Quote: "Perhaps the AI can be assigned a pool of points from which to build its ships from."

I added the DNA points so you don't instantly pick all the best items because it's quite easy to do. However, the AI doesn't actually control what they mutate into; As explained in the OP, each enemy type spawns in waves, each wave is mutated from the base genome slightly, the one that fares best survives to the next round and so on. The way mutation is handled is just randomly shifting stats around, each of these random changes would normally cost me DNA points and quite a lot because they are random movements for potentially no change. If I factor in desires for each wave and they pick the next parts then it kinda removes the whole evolution aspect from this game which I don't really want to do(I'd have to rename it then!).

Even if I find a perfect solution I doubt I'd be able to code and perfect it within a week so I'll let it sit for now. I've began working on making it so I can define levels with preset enemies and waves that follow set patterns and stuff, this will make the game far more inline with other shmups. However I will still keep in the old evolution mode for now, let's call that sandbox mode!

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2009 03:37
Quote: "Very limited in some areas. For instance the shader support is rather bad, only half the methods in the ID3DXBaseEffect are wrapped so you have no way to set constant arrays or even get any constants, no way to set global array values(across all shaders) without manually applying them to all. No way to set individual shader values for each object forcing you to load a million shaders if you want objects that use the same shader to have different parameters. The terrible vector and matrix support; I don't even know why these command sets were kept in the GDK version when you have access to D3DXVECTOR2/3/4 and D3DXMATRIX which are the exact same thing, just not crap(except all the shader functions require the GDK vectors/matrices). But alas, these issues will never get fixed and there's loads more so I won't rant on about them any more."

I've only just begun to program in DBPro myself, so I'll just have to take your word for it. But can't you just load HLSL shaders? I know it's weird that I started learning HLSL before I became very proficient with DBPro, but hey I haven't hit any walls of problems yet.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2009 22:28
1st place down only 2nd and 3rd left...

How are you rating the enemy ships? If it is on survival time, surely the player could just kill the good ships first, so that the ships gradually get worse...

[b]Yuor signutare was aresed by a deslyxic mud...
BOX2D V2 HAS HELP FILES! AND A WIKI!
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 21:55
Quote: "How are you rating the enemy ships? If it is on survival time, surely the player could just kill the good ships first, so that the ships gradually get worse..."

Currently it's based on the damage they do to you. Yes it's fairly easy to 'cheat' the system and make it so the worse ships get favoured but this is the same as reality; If you specifically kill all organisms with advantageous traits then you'll have a trend of worse organisms.

Anyway, I added in the whole premade stages thing! I now have the very fun job of writing enemy waves and stuff in notepad++ and so far have only finished one map(a tutorial mission). I decided to rewrite my GUI handling system as it wasn't as efficient as it could have been... I then subsequently broke it and have spent ages trying to find the bug causing nothing to draw, but to no avail, so if you expect a demo then it'll come very close to the deadline.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 23:56
Sounds like it's shaping up, well besides the GUI bug. Only 5 days left so good luck.

darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Well what can I say it looks good, and the new mutation is sure to make some heads spin.

Vee
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 17:02
I hope you post a demo =)

I cant bear the thought of having to wait til they ve all been judged before getting to play this!

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 21:34 Edited at: 11th Apr 2009 21:40
OK I finished my entry and entered it yesterday! You can get the demo HERE, that's the entry -readme.txt, -code.

I know there's only two 'proper' levels in there but I didn't make that much media for enemy ships so I can only repackage the same models so many times! But anyway, it's supposed to be a mini-game so having giant campaigns wouldn't exactly fit /me thinks up more excuses.

Please let me know if you come across any issues with the build. The only one I've noticed is the ship modification page draws incorrectly if your GPU doesn't support non-square textures, however this shouldn't be an issue for many people.

So have fun playing, C&C are welcome as always!

Just some further notes about the demo:

My GDK library doesn't support image/object restoration yet, so tabbing out will cause errors when you focus the game again. If you want to run in windowed or something then change it in Data/Scripts/Display.cfg.

I ripped out access to the evolving enemies and stuff so most of my original description of the game isn't exactly accurate. However if I ever have more time to work on the balancing and stuff I may add it back in as another game mode.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 23:29
Hi DarkCoder, evo.war.rar uploaded with a 26.0Mb file size, is this correct? If not please reupload a new version of your game. Remember that you can not replace the file, you can only upload a new file.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2009 07:32
Quote: "Hi DarkCoder, evo.war.rar uploaded with a 26.0Mb file size, is this correct?"

Should be, you can always test if the archive is complete.

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2009 12:55 Edited at: 12th Apr 2009 12:56
Absolutely awesome, congratulations for this great game and concept!
Brilliant implementation, outstanding graphics and sound, challenging and very addictive to play.

I can't wait to see what the ships can become
After a few evolutions, I got this rather original ship:

What can I say? You push all this stuff one step beyond. I think that all the community is very fortunate of having you around and competing. Great job

Attachments

Login to view attachments
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2009 14:37
The was exciting to play, got the adrenaline pumping as well. The only crit I have is it doesn't feel like a mini-game...with a few more campaigns, maybe a multiplayer feature, you got yourself a full blown out shooter.

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
I played on easter day, so my experience appeared to be ruined in confusion as to why the hell am i now an egg... oh right... easter. Then I closed the program
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2009 16:16
Thanks Morcilla!

Quote: "The only crit I have is it doesn't feel like a mini-game...with a few more campaigns, maybe a multiplayer feature, you got yourself a full blown out shooter."

It's a mini game damn you! /me pulls knife

Quote: "I played on easter day, so my experience appeared to be ruined in confusion as to why the hell am i now an egg... oh right... easter. Then I closed the program"

The egg is the first ship you play as, though I suppose playing as an egg on Easter would be a nice... Easter egg.

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2009 17:36
Haha, it seems as people are shredding in tears for you keeping making such great entires, keep it up.

Alucard94, the member of the future of the past.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2009 17:38
Quote: "Haha, it seems as people are shredding in tears for you keeping making such great entires, keep it up."

Well I'd prefer more melodic guitar playing myself, but great!

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2009 18:45
hehehe...

[b]Yuor signutare was aresed by a deslyxic mud...
BOX2D V2 HAS HELP FILES! AND A WIKI!
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2009 20:03
@Diggsey

Here's my best:

(Take this, kamikazis!)

darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Darkcoder I played your game I found a bug in your game guess what it was? When you go to the main menu, and click credits, and after the names are done it doesn't show the menus back again So might want to fix that.

I thought the game was pretty good besides that little flaw though.

Vee
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2009 13:44
Quote: "Sigh, looks like you win again.

/me cancels project"

At last years convention we discussed Darkcoders spree of competitions. We decided that when he sees a competition, he doesn't think "How can I win this" but rather "Do I really need the graphics card that is first prize?".

Mnemonix
Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2009 18:05 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2009 18:07
Awesome Game!

Valle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2009 18:28
wow

Now i know what darth vader meant saying never underestimate the dark side

to the graphics:
i love the glow and the distortion effect (which shader did you use for that one btw?), the models, the background, everything !

to the gameplay:
Well i found it frustrating that your ship rotates so slow. I played through the first level and experimented with the upgrades, but I already found the second level too hard but maybe i'm just not good enough

apropos dark side i just found this ^^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eZBevXohCI

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2009 09:08
@ Diggsey, nice, hacker!!! /me writes code to blow up any PCs whose current user is called Diggsey and adds it to next game

Quote: "Hi Darkcoder I played your game I found a bug in your game guess what it was? When you go to the main menu, and click credits, and after the names are done it doesn't show the menus back again So might want to fix that."

Well that wasn't a bug, I wrote it to be like that due to being lazy. You can always move the mouse to bring up the 'Back' button to go back to the main menu.

Quote: "At last years convention we discussed Darkcoders spree of competitions. We decided that when he sees a competition, he doesn't think "How can I win this" but rather "Do I really need the graphics card that is first prize?"."

But there's no graphics card or any hardware for first prize this time .

@ Serial Velocity - Thanks!

Quote: "i love the glow and the distortion effect (which shader did you use for that one btw?), the models, the background, everything"

Look in Data\Shaders\Refraction, the shader itself is very simple, I just offset the backbuffer sampling by a refraction map. However, making the refraction map is the only trickier part I guess, basically I created a new particle emitter type that spawned normal mapped shockwave particles that expand outward, I place these at explosions and stuff and render them to a separate camera image and use that as the refraction map.

Quote: "Well i found it frustrating that your ship rotates so slow."

The bigger ships have higher mass and less thrust so they will move and turn slower, also adding new parts adds more mass so it'll slow down even more, to counter this you can buy 'Engine' parts which add thrust.

Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 16:53
dark coder, where do you get your creativity from xD

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2009 18:45
None of your games work on any of my computers

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2009 05:14
My honest feedback would be that the weapon sounds were really annoying, but other than that... Gold.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 01:37:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 01:37:44