Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / Size; Does it matter?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2009 22:50
I like to play RPGs, as sometimes they can have quite an interesting and deep plot, and they'd have vast interesting new worlds to explore. But I've been thinking about it, RPGs I've been playing over the last couple of years have not caught me so much as they used to, in some places they seem to over compensate for something.

What I'm trying to hint at, maps and battles, are they getting too big? Oblivion, massive and explore-able world but how much of it was wasted space (though they did have a work around)? Final Fantasy XII has long roads of nothing but battle after battle. MMORPGs I've tried have had long expanses of land, to traverse to actually get anywhere, where my character is just walking, in a couple the world scale has been off as the doors were 3x the size of the characters - incidentally, lots of grass to travers and enough enemies along the way to make fighting boring after a while. Zelda: Wind Waker had the masses of ocean to cross.

It seems that developers are attempting to get us to indulge in this large fantastic lands, but without putting anything interest within them and the size just hinders my immersion. I'm currently playing the Last Remnant, after doing a quest full of many battles I moved onto fight a boss and beat it, once I had to move on, a large field of battles was present. I stopped playing. Though I don't think TLR is as bad as some others.

I've also been playing some of the old games thinking, I didn't need these massive maps to immerse me or to keep me playing so deeply or keeping me interested - I also felt more inclined to do all of the side quests - I don't with more recent RPGs (except Oblivion). Final Fantasy VII had a whole planet you could move around in, you could do so in real time, but getting from A-B didn't take too long, later on in the game you could use vehicles (A chocobo, a buggy, a plane, a submarine...)

So what should developers be doing and for others, does size and fight count matter or make a better game? Or does it just drag the game on for too long?

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2009 23:03
I think the first Gothic games was pretty good on size. The world was not too big and it was not tiny either, it was actually perfect. And the devs took advantage of the small areas and actually spread most of the game story over all the game space, which is quite rare in big-world-RPGs.

I personally like small areas rather than huge open worlds. Mostly because of the reason I pointed out above. And that the world gets much more interesting and it's easier to immerse the player with less things to think about.

"Ja, för det är jävligt manligt att ligga fosterställning i duschen och raka röven! Testa det! "
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 03:11
I think size is overrated. A lot of games these days seek to increase play time just for the sake of it, often by repetitive gameplay. When i was little and could afford few games, i wanted games to last me a long time. Now i am money rich (relatively) and time poor, and have other fun things i could be doing besides gaming, so i want a quality, exciting, non boring experience, that's more about using skill than just grinding away for hours. Plus i feel games are even longer now than they used to be.

I say keep it fairly short, but work on making it as awesome as possible. Especially if you're making a free independent game. People won't be prepared to spend weeks completing it. Plus you'd need much more media and designed levels, dialog, story or whatever, unless you want it to be repetitive as hell.
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 19:41
I think size is good some of the time: Fallout 3 is, of course, the best example here, because they managed to create this world which seems limitless and which you become interested in. I was on my way to a quest when I saw an interesting building on a hill. "What's that, then?" I thought. I went up to it, explored it, and there was another equally interesting building on the next hill...

It was two or three hours before I got back to that first quest

But, you're quite right: it needn't always be like that. I suppose size is what RPG games instinctively reach for, the same way that FPS games reach for linear levels. While they're often an effective choice (I mean, they became templates for a reason) that doesn't mean you can't break the mould and make something fresh (in fact, perhaps the very reason there is a mould is a good reason to break it).

I'm not sure if it counts as an RPG, but System Shock 1 was very effective as an experience: the claustrophobic setting and gloomy atmosphere made the whole thing feel very confined, neat and intense. Oblivion, by contrast, feels more sprawling and probably more epic, but also more vapid. Perhaps you could make an RPG where there's not much play-time, and you skip through lengthy sections so you end up levelling up every five minutes or something? Maybe you could skip through somebody's life in 5-year sections...

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 03:05 Edited at: 7th Apr 2009 03:06
Having huge worlds in RPGs is okay, as long as there's actually something to do in them other than fight endless hordes of monsters. Lets take two examples:

Oblivion: You only fight one random monster every once and a while, and yet there's so many quests and stories you could write a whole series of novels about them.

Any Final Fantasy game: I can't even begin to say how overrated this series is. I remember me and my friends were playing one FF game on my REALLY old computer (imagine a bunch of dorks huddled around a 13 inch monitor) and we were taking turns controlling the characters from battle to battle. We actually got some exercise getting on and then immediately off the chair, that's how many friggin battles there were. So after about two hours, we finally got from the quest giver on one quest to the end of the quest. That's ridiculous! Two hours to solve one quest!

Swordfight! My cheesy little first game!
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=147808&b=36
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 14:08
@Herakles,
You are comparing two different kinds of RPGs, though. Oblivion's battles aren't so much random as much as just coincidences. Final Fantasy is completely randomly generated battles that depend on how long you've been walking.

I agree that there are advantages to both large and small worlds, and personally each of them appeals to me. The large, open world gives a sense of adventure and even though stuff is dispersed that's not much of a negative factor (problems come in when things are way too far apart, and I think Oblivion had enough stuff scattered around). Small worlds are also very interesting. They usually require much more background story and detail. We don't see many small worlds any more because everyone assumes bigger IS better. Big worlds aren't bad, but they need to be just the right size.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 19:16
Final Fantasys up until Final Fantasy X I think were effective (FFX-2 worked as a game, but it was terrible for different reasons IMO. I've not played XI and maybe XIII will be different?) - even the random battle encounters weren't too often, they weren't annoying and didn't get in the way of chasing down an interesting plot.

Oblivion and Fallout 3 I agree are good examples where the space isn't boring (though I think perhaps for Oblivion things could have been closer together, but it wasn't a big problem), I kicked up a lot of hours on both of those games. What I think helped them too was the fact you can fast travel, I probably would have given up on certain quests if I had to walk the full distance to a place that I had already visited. Imagine, being at Canterbury commons and the item you wanted was at your apartment in Tenpenny tower and you needed it to take to Rivet City? Without quick travel that would be a long and boring journey.

Quote: "Small worlds are also very interesting. They usually require much more background story and detail. We don't see many small worlds any more because everyone assumes bigger IS better. Big worlds aren't bad, but they need to be just the right size."

This perhaps is a good point, having a small world and keeping close connection with everything within it gives us a chance to go into more depth with the scene, plot and characters. As I said in another GDT thread, the whole Fallout 3 has some maneuver of connecting with the characters, the main devices are Amata and your father - though I believe the emotional connections with other characters might have helped - it was Amata and the Dad that determined that I behaved myself with my first character profile, with my second I just did stuff for kicks and both characters manage to pull of the guilt trip, maybe more characters like this in a plot would make it more interesting. Perhaps it's just a lot of games are lacking sometime, which size over compensates for, like interesting characters or characters that you care about.

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 04:12 Edited at: 8th Apr 2009 04:18
>Dr Manette

You're right. The Final Fantasy games are hack and slash RPGs, and Oblivion is a story based RPG. I prefer story based RPGs, because hack and slash games only give you temporary joy. Story based RPGs are like reading books, you think about them long after you've stopped playing the game and so they keep giving you joy for a long time.

>Seppuku Arts

The story of the game is definately the most important part of the game. It the plot is good, then the size of the game world doesn't matter, nor does the quality of the gameplay. You're going to want to get to the end of the plot and see how it unfolds. It's like Neverwinter Nights 2. The gameplay is buggy and kind of boring, but the plot is so gripping and the characters are so interesting that it drags you through the whole game just because you HAVE to know how it ends (at least that's how it happened for me).

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 19:28 Edited at: 8th Apr 2009 19:32
Quote: "The Final Fantasy games are hack and slash RPGs"

The Final Fantasy games are full of plot, Final Fantasies 6 up to 10 had some quite complex ones and were very plot driven, complete with backstories and indepth personalities you can care about. My main interest has always been the really interesting stories and the connection with the characters that they form. Oblivion I think actually lacked some of that character connection - nobody, nor the world mattered to me. Oblivion caught me with its game-play and how there were so many parts to the game, not its storytelling.

But I can agree about the plot, or at least for plot-driven games, and when you have a plot-driven game, you don't want too much standing in the way - give it difficult and game play, but reward people along the way.

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 22:13
It is true that Oblivion's main quest kind of lacked in terms of plot, but there were some side quests that a some good plots. When I say good plot, I don't just mean novel and interesting (although that definately helps), I mean a plot that actually makes you think and philosophize. I already said something like in in another post, so I'll just quote myself:

Quote: "I don't just mean drama, I mean the kind of story that makes you think and keeps you thinking long after you've finished the game. Neverwinter Nights II and it's first expansion are wonderful examples of this, because they make you think about the true nature of good and evil. SPOILER WARNING: Is Ammon Jerro really evil? He did lots of bad things, but he did them to help other people. Is the king of shadows really evil? He just wants to make sure his people are honored, what's wrong with that? See what I mean? Multiple choices really help."

This is where I think Final Fantasy's plots aren't that good. They may indeed be kind of strange and interesting, but they have nothing in them that keeps you thinking in the way that my example of Neverwinter Nights does.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 01:13 Edited at: 9th Apr 2009 01:16
You see, I think they do - I always felt the games reads like a good book, you ask questions and continue on to find out more and are able to connect to the characters, because they feel human.

For example FF9, you start the game looking at two points of view (and they cross later on) - one of a weird person called Vivi who simply wants to watch a play and has a ticket which turns out to be fake, a friend promises him entrance, here you might be curious as to what the lay is. The other point of view you see an actor in this play, who is really a member of a group of bandits called Tantalus, they have been hired to kidnap the princess. You see the play as a stage in order to get her, so there's already more to this play. The princess from the opening video seems to have something bothering her and this is evident, you don't know what and ask why, when it comes to Zidane coming to kidnap, he chases her, and her Guard Steiner chases Zidane, in a clumsy fashion (as he's a clumsy character) and it turns out that the princess wants to be kidnapped, so it kind of suggests even further that's something's up. When you try to escape on your ship, the queen puts the princess in a lot of danger by trying to bring down the ship, it seems something is really up with the queen, yet you don't know what, you play on to find out and learn more and more about the queen and follow the princess' and Steiner's revelations (Steiner who's incredible faithful to the queen), the Queen does more evil. Within the journey of the characters, their relationships develop and some of their pasts are gradually revealed - Vivi's identity comes into play early on and the relationship between Zidane and The Princess develop as he tries to show her how to be 'common', whilst Steiner's original dislike for Zidane changes as he learns more of his good nature, as well as the Queen's evil. Different conflicts in the plot effect the questions you ask as a player - you even get an 'ATE' feature, where you can see what other characters are up to and learn a little more about them - these character moments make other parts of the plot more effective. (In FF7 the tragic scene of Aeris' death was quite emotional, because it was unexpected and she was one of the main characters who you knew a lot about and perhaps quite liked or at least connected with)

There's a lot to the plot and the character relationships, but I've not explained too much, after all there are a few spoilers and I don't want to give too many away.

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 03:48 Edited at: 9th Apr 2009 03:51
I never denied that the FF games had complex and interesting plots. But that one that you just described doesn't really ask any questions about what is evil and what is not evil. It has some drama and it has some character development (and that's definately not a bad thing), but it doesn't have anything that will make you philosophize.

The plot you described is something like this: There's this queen who is gradually discovered to be evil, and the people who discover that she's evil develop complex relationships with each other.

Here's something that's a bit more philosophical: There's this queen who follows the law to the letter. But a group of people progressively see that the law is completely unjust and is only there to benefit the people in power (like the queen) at the expense of the common people.

See the difference? The first plot may be interesting and memorable, which is certainly better than most games nowadays, but the second plot makes you think about something that has a real world application: Is something truly morally justified just because the law says it's okay?

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 14:19
I guess your view of a "good" plot partly depends (as you'd expect) on what you want in a story. If you want George Bernard Shaw/Joseph Conrad/Philip K Dick/George Orwell philosophy then you use the characters to ask questions about the ideals and beliefs of the player. If you want Shakespearean/Oscar Wilde/Geoffrey Chaucer characterisation then you set up a web of interesting characters who interact in a believable, touching way.

I personally prefer the method which poses questions for the player, rather than telling a story, because I always enjoy it when people go "aah!" and start thinking. But there's a lot to be said for a very well-made, human-centric character-driven tragedy.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 19:10 Edited at: 9th Apr 2009 19:15
Quote: "Here's something that's a bit more philosophical: There's this queen who follows the law to the letter. But a group of people progressively see that the law is completely unjust and is only there to benefit the people in power (like the queen) at the expense of the common people."

If you're talking something to make you think more in philosophical terms (or I suppose political could fall into it too) rather than interesting plots:

Final Fantasy VII, a giant corporation is providing its people with energy at the expense of the planet (the planet is a self-regulating, living being)the planet is gradually dying as a result and that's what avalanche is all about, they don't want the planet to be suck dry so nothing is left, the Shinra guys just care about the money. A paralell with issues we have in the real world(or at least in a political bias). Your characters are terrorists, but because you're with them and they don't see themselves as terrorists, you may not feel that they are terrorists to begin with, the first thing you do is blow up a reactor to stop it training the planet's life energy source, people of course would have died as a result, Shinra kills innocent people too to try and get you, and that's an issue in its own right - should innocent people die because they want to save the planet? I believe on disk 2 is where some of these realisations become clearer to the character. And because the Shinra corperation have all of the energy and run all of the industry, they're the people truly in power and they're abusing it. So its the people who live in the slums, a polluted and dangerous, but Shinra is still interested in exploiting as much cash as possible.

The plots get you asking more about what's going on, what's going to happen and get you interested in the characters.

But, yes, it can boil down to what you get out of plots, and I think that's where taste comes into, it, but the Final Fantasy series (though not all of the FF games) have been good with plot, even if you're not interested by them (as you can't win everybody over).

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 04:12 Edited at: 10th Apr 2009 04:13
Holy crap, that's the US Government! That plot is definately better, but I've never played that game so I can't say for sure.

I'm not saying that I don't like plots that are just interesting, I'm just saying that games have to make a point about something in the real world. I don't really have time to play games that have nothing but good gameplay and an interesting plot, I want something that adds to my personal philosophizing and actually makes a difference in the real world. Good gameplay and interesting plot are good to keep me playing the game, but the game is in the end worthless if there's nothing that pertains to the real world.

The plot of FF9, as you described it, is meaningless in the real world. The plot of FF7, as you described it, does have more of a real world meaning and so it is better. The image that I have in my head of an ideal game is something that has good gameplay (like Oblivion), an interesting and meaningfull plot (like Neverwinter Nights 2), and, to get back to the original topic of size, a large and detailed world that is open and free to explore (like any of the Elder Scrolls games).

Just so you know, that's what I'm going to be aiming for when I eventually make my own RPG, which I expect to start sometime at the end of this year when I have more DBPro experience.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 15:01
Both are only early parts of the plot. If you're looking for more philosophy, then by all means, that's what you get out of a game. But I think any game with a plot and characters says something about the real world. The nature of politics (every fantasy world will have its view on a political structure, for example, where one succeeds and another fails) but then there's the whole things of human nature, human emotion (even to an Ovidian degree) and identity. FF9 I think dealt with the identity of being 'human', which is relevant in an age where cloning is being researched. I won't explain that in depth, because they're spoilers.

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 03:15
I've never played FF9 so I can't say anything more about it. My original point in bringing up the Final Fantasy games is that there's a ridiculous amount of random battles. They get in the way of the plot and slow the momentum of the game down. That's another thing I think all games need, "momentum", and not just RPGs. This is something that Oblivion does very well, you never get stuck up on one quest because you don't know what to do next. In the Final Fantasy games, you often get lost because you're so busy fighting that you can't even pay attention to where your characters are going.

Another thing with FF is that there's an infinite amount of random battles to be fought, like in this example: You go into a room and fight a scripted battle with a specific character who advances the plot. You then move towards the door to the next room, but get stuck on a random battle. After you win that battle (assuming you win at all), you get stuck on another random battle as you're in the door frame. After that fight, you grab an item in the next room and then go back into the first room, and get stuck on a random battle again. This time, it's a bunch of enemies you've already fought! This could go on forever, or until all your characters are dead. Seems a bit idiotic to me, because it slows the momentum down a LOT.

Some people say that having large worlds slows down the game's momentum, but Oblivion proves that wrong. I think it has to do a lot with the "fast travel" feature and the pointer thing that directs you to the destination of your quest.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 12:43
Oblivion did good, but the FF series didn't slow down the momentum for me - well, except for one exception and that's Final Fantasy XII, where it was just terrible. I've managed to complete the games without those annoyances, sure the battles were random, and that's what JRPG tend to have, even Pokemon (well not so much anymore) but the amount of battles didn't hinder me from getting on with the plot, because they were part of the game play and you were able to get a plot point, then you have the challenge of fighting a boss. I don't think it has been any slower in getting through the plot than Oblivion, because you have to go through a map and fight enemies before you can get to the plot. The difference being, you can see your enemies before you encounter them in Oblivion and can't in Final Fantasy.

With large worlds. Oblivion managed to do it effectively, because they did something with it and worked around it, The problem is not 'large' worlds, but what developers do with it, it seems making the world or even a map large without anything to make it interesting, then it just seems as an over-compensation measure...for example MMORPGs. Oblivion knew what to do with their space (the quick travel really helps), Morrowind I found didn't.

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2009 02:59
In Oblivion, you can see your enemies (like you said) and so you can avoid them, or even ambush them if you're tricky enough. In FF the enemies just appear out of thin air and you're stuck fighting them. There is a flee button occasionally, but it only works randomly. When it does work, the enemies just disappear into thin air, and you can't go back to them later and finish what you started. In the end, it just feels hollow to me, like the enemies are simply pictures drawn on pieces of cardboard held up by the game's programmers. In contrast, Oblivion's enemies feel dynamic and your interaction with them feels deep and involved. But that's starting to get into the philosophy of combat systems, which is only indirectly related to the size of worlds.

Everything you said in that second paragraph is true. Morrowind actually had a much smaller world than Oblivion, but it lacked Oblivion's fast travel feature. You also walked alot slower in Morrowind than in Oblivion, so it took longer to travel a shorter distance and so it made the world feel bigger. But hey, they learned from Morrowind and so they used that experience to make Oblivion that much better.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2009 12:47
I liked the random battles, but I suppose I can't argue a case as to why I like them more because it more or less comes down to opinion. I didn't feel anymore deep or involved in Oblivion.

One of the things I think Oblivion lacked was connection with the characters, I felt that I really couldn't connect with any of them - all of them seemed like stock characters - except the odd one, but there's not enough for you to care, Though I kind of liked Sean Bean's character, but I still didn't feel a relationship build up. That part I felt was a bit hollow, but something they tried to improve for Fallout 3 - you sort of connect a little better with the story characters.

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2009 03:06
I've never played Fallout 3, but I've read that it's a sort of spiritual successor to Oblivion. If they expanded upon Oblivion in that game, like they expanded upon Morrowind in Oblivion, then I suppose I'll have to play that game eventually. When they release the next Elder Scrolls game (I've read that it's going to be in 2012 - 2013) maybe they'll have expanded on Fallout 3, so it'll be even better!

But yes, I can definately see what you mean about most of the main characters being kind of hollow in Oblivion. Although I DO think there were some side quests and characters that were kind of interesting. For example: There's this Dark Brotherhood side quest where you are doing a favor for some lizard people. You have to kill some other guy who had betrayed them, but when you get to him you see that he's actually not that bad a guy. He just wants to get away from the Dark Brotherhood and all of the killing, so you have to choose between killing him or letting him go and just pretending that you killed him. If that were a FF game, you would just watch a short cutscene and then fight him and kill him.

Are you a massocist? You actually LIKE the random battles? I suppose it does indeed come down to personal opinion, I guess, because I hate the combat system in JRPG games. You choose your next action from a massive menu that makes annoying and cheesy little "boing" noises. I like the combat system in Oblivion and the Gothic games much more, where you have complete direct control of your character in real time. It's almost like an FPS, which is much more deep and involved than any JRPG.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2009 04:49 Edited at: 13th Apr 2009 04:52
Quote: "Are you a massocist? You actually LIKE the random battles? I suppose it does indeed come down to personal opinion, I guess, because I hate the combat system in JRPG games. You choose your next action from a massive menu that makes annoying and cheesy little "boing" noises."

Haha, yes, but that has nothing to do with it, masochism is another hobby of mine. Not only that, not many people know that I am a sociopath, but that's beside the point. I do like the JPPG turn-based system, and like random battles, I mean if you don't want to fight one, you don't have to, it was also Hold L1+R1 and it's easy to escape or whatever escape method was used (even a simple Pokemon 'Run') Real-time combat is fun, but I think turn-base has its charm, in someways it can be more strategic and you can use more that 1 character, I'm currently playing the Last Remnant - it's a turnbased JRPG yet you control different factions rather than different individual characters, you have to set up your party to work well together, have them in the right formations and when you enter battle you have to make decisions about which choice is best - you don't necessarily need to rely on being a higher level with more strength. But that's a fairly unique turn-based system, but it's an example of turn-based battles that are more strategic.

Though I do like getting more involved with the fighting as well, one on one or one on many. To me RPGs and Turn-based RPGs are best thought to be two different genres, to keep the different mindsets apart.

Quote: "For example: There's this Dark Brotherhood side quest where you are doing a favor for some lizard people. You have to kill some other guy who had betrayed them, but when you get to him you see that he's actually not that bad a guy. He just wants to get away from the Dark Brotherhood and all of the killing, so you have to choose between killing him or letting him go and just pretending that you killed him."

There's a similar quest in Fallout 3, Moriaty sends you off to kill a woman and take payment off of her, I was going to kill her but I actually didn't have the conscience to kill her for drug money...well, I didn't the first time round, the second time I found I got more money by killing her.

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2009 02:16
Quote: "if you don't want to fight one, you don't have to, it was also Hold L1+R1 and it's easy to escape or whatever escape method was used"

In almost all JRPGs I've played, the escape method works maybe 1/8th of the time. Granted I haven't played many JRPGs, but in the ones I have played they haven't worked very often. In fact it's just a waste of your turn most of the time.

Quote: "you can use more that 1 character"

I find that controlling just 1 character helps me associate with that character more, and to make it feel like that character is "me".

Quote: "I'm currently playing the Last Remnant - it's a turnbased JRPG yet you control different factions rather than different individual characters, you have to set up your party to work well together, have them in the right formations and when you enter battle you have to make decisions about which choice is best - you don't necessarily need to rely on being a higher level with more strength"

I've never heard of that game before, but it definately sounds unique. It actually sounds pretty cool, I think it's always better to place player skill over character skill. Alot like in Gothic III, where if you're a good enough player you could probably kill any character in the game even if you're just starting the game.

Quote: "Though I do like getting more involved with the fighting as well, one on one or one on many. To me RPGs and Turn-based RPGs are best thought to be two different genres, to keep the different mindsets apart."

Yes, I agree. I don't think all turn based games are bad just because they're turn based. If it's done right, like in the old Pool of Radiance/Gold Box games, turn based can be pretty fun. But I must say that I prefer real time combat like in Oblivion or Gothic.

Quote: "There's a similar quest in Fallout 3"

No wonder, the two games were made by the same people.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2009 10:05
Quote: "Quote: "if you don't want to fight one, you don't have to, it was also Hold L1+R1 and it's easy to escape or whatever escape method was used"

In almost all JRPGs I've played, the escape method works maybe 1/8th of the time. Granted I haven't played many JRPGs, but in the ones I have played they haven't worked very often. In fact it's just a waste of your turn most of the time."

Having you tried holding the escape button for more than 3 seconds? If you keep hold of it in the FF games you increase your chances quite a bit - isn't only boss/important battles you can't escape from.

Quote: "Quote: "you can use more that 1 character"

I find that controlling just 1 character helps me associate with that character more, and to make it feel like that character is "me"."

That's were the game types differ, in these kind of RPGs you don't try to make yourself 'feel' as though you're the character, but rather relate to them, because you have more than one character you have character interaction. In a narrative, think of it as the difference between first person and third person.

Quote: "I've never heard of that game before, but it definately sounds unique. It actually sounds pretty cool, I think it's always better to place player skill over character skill. Alot like in Gothic III, where if you're a good enough player you could probably kill any character in the game even if you're just starting the game."

There's a demo on steam, though the difficulty of the game is a bit unbalanced - levelling up helps, but you'll find you have to think and plan a little more - I've found I've died many times trying to take down a boss.

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2009 02:25 Edited at: 15th Apr 2009 02:25
Quote: "Having you tried holding the escape button for more than 3 seconds? If you keep hold of it in the FF games you increase your chances quite a bit - isn't only boss/important battles you can't escape from."

I suppose it depends on the specific game. There was one JRPG, it was technically an American game but it was in the JRPG style, where it actually showed the random number it generated to determine if you escape (1-10). If it was 1 - 4, you escaped the battle. There was another JRPG style American game, some really bad Lord of the Rings game, where you couldn't flee at all!

Besides, in most JRPGs if you miss just one fight, you'll start to lag behind in terms of experience and you won't be as powerful as the developers expected you to be, so the fights will get WAY to hard.

Quote: "That's were the game types differ, in these kind of RPGs you don't try to make yourself 'feel' as though you're the character, but rather relate to them, because you have more than one character you have character interaction. In a narrative, think of it as the difference between first person and third person."

It is very possible to have a character interaction based game where you associate with your own character. For example: Neverwinter Nights 2. It was only half turn based, but you still controlled more than one character. That was definately a game where I felt that the character I was playing definately was me, which is partly due to the fact that you create your own character. I have yet to play a JRPG where you do anything other than name your own character (sometimes you don't even do that). I'm sure there's JRPGs out there where you create your own character, but I haven't played any.

Quote: "There's a demo on steam, though the difficulty of the game is a bit unbalanced - levelling up helps, but you'll find you have to think and plan a little more - I've found I've died many times trying to take down a boss."

If I die more than 5 times trying to kill one damn boss, I start to get bored, because it gets repedative, and I start to lose interest in the game. But maybe that's just my impatient nature.

Wow, this discusion hit the 10 day mark today. We're long winded! I suppose there's alot to say on this topic, though, and it is very important to games (which is the point of this whole forum anyway).

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2009 20:01 Edited at: 17th Apr 2009 20:03
Quote: "Besides, in most JRPGs if you miss just one fight, you'll start to lag behind in terms of experience and you won't be as powerful as the developers expected you to be, so the fights will get WAY to hard."

I've only experienced that in Final Fantasy XII and The Last Remnant.

Quote: " I have yet to play a JRPG where you do anything other than name your own character (sometimes you don't even do that). I'm sure there's JRPGs out there where you create your own character, but I haven't played any."

Character creation isn't always key in an RPG, sometimes having a character with their own personality can be interesting to follow - I think customisation would make that a bit more difficult, not that you can't connect with a customised character, but I find that seeing your character unfold by them selves and have their own personalities can make for an interesting thing to follow. This is perhaps another reason why these are different kinds of genres. Though the road ahead and the characters maybe defined more by the developers, I don't think that's a bad thing, because I find that some pre-defined characters can be interesting and even appearance of a character can play its part - after all your appearance is how you'd define yourself, FFVIII wouldn't have been quite as effective with a pink afro on Squall. Though customisable characters are fun, but I like to play some games where you don't need to do that, for some games it works better without it.

Quote: "If I die more than 5 times trying to kill one damn boss, I start to get bored, because it gets repedative, and I start to lose interest in the game. But maybe that's just my impatient nature."

Haha, perhaps, but sometimes have quite difficult parts you get stuck on I find if you triumph through it, you get quite a bit of satisfaction, on the Last Remnant on the Castanea boss I died several times, but when I finally managed to kill him, I got a little excited and thought "Yes! I did it!" But I've found the same on other types of games too, like Call of Duty on a particularly difficult map or a fairly challenging boss on Doom, solving a difficult puzzle on Broken Sword. Games are meant to challenge you, that's a part of the satisfaction of going through it.

Quote: "Wow, this discusion hit the 10 day mark today. We're long winded! I suppose there's alot to say on this topic, though, and it is very important to games (which is the point of this whole forum anyway)."

Discussion is good. It always has you thinking and makes you consider things you've not considered before, so it's nice and healthy. The lengthier, the better I say, well without it dragging on when it doesn't need to.

Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not convinced by the claim that recent games have larger worlds than older ones. Many older games have larger worlds - they just had less distinctive content. Daggerfall had a much bigger world than Oblivion, but it all looked the same. And I think no game has had a bigger world than Elite!

I'd say that Oblivion is a good example of a relatively small world that's crammed with content, not a vast world with big spaces. Of course Oblivion pretends its world is bigger than it really is - so you get "provinces" that are smaller than Hyde Park and so on. I suppose all games do that to some degree (they should have called it "smallish county of Warcraft" if they wanted to reflect the actual size of the world).

Personally I like the idea of a large world with lots of space to explore. There is something intrinsically exciting about visiting a new place, even if it's exactly the same as everywhere else. Ideally, of course, we want space and variety; I suppose the trick is finding ways to generate convincing variety without actually slowing the system to a halt.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2009 22:34
Having a place to explore is good - but it's always a question of whether or not there's wasted space, Oblivion wasn't all bad with it. It's really an issue of size in relative terms, what I mean is that how much space is actually used? I have placed games that have put in more level space and sometimes filled them with monsters to just make up for it. As though to make the game longer, when in actual fact you're adding unnecessary travel time. This is what I like about Fable II, as an example, unnecessary travel space is skipped and replaced by a loading screen and it gives extra hours on the game clock. And the game isn't supposed to be too long and that's something people mention, yet they're satisfied and think they got their money's worth, I don't get bored of cutting cross landscapes and it still maintains that illusions of a big world.

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2009 03:26 Edited at: 20th Apr 2009 03:36
Quote: "Character creation isn't always key in an RPG, sometimes having a character with their own personality can be interesting to follow - I think customisation would make that a bit more difficult, not that you can't connect with a customised character, but I find that seeing your character unfold by them selves and have their own personalities can make for an interesting thing to follow. This is perhaps another reason why these are different kinds of genres. Though the road ahead and the characters maybe defined more by the developers, I don't think that's a bad thing, because I find that some pre-defined characters can be interesting and even appearance of a character can play its part - after all your appearance is how you'd define yourself, FFVIII wouldn't have been quite as effective with a pink afro on Squall. Though customisable characters are fun, but I like to play some games where you don't need to do that, for some games it works better without it."

That's more like watching a TV show or a movie. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but when I play a game I want there to be more interactivity then that. I want to feel involved in the plot, like I'm the character in the game learning important lessons that actually have value in the real world. When I said "create your own character" I meant you create a character from scratch, not just change the character's appearance, voice, name, and stuff like that. I mean you define your own character's personality, background, and the kind of stuff that really defines who a person is.

Quote: "Haha, perhaps, but sometimes have quite difficult parts you get stuck on I find if you triumph through it, you get quite a bit of satisfaction, on the Last Remnant on the Castanea boss I died several times, but when I finally managed to kill him, I got a little excited and thought "Yes! I did it!" But I've found the same on other types of games too, like Call of Duty on a particularly difficult map or a fairly challenging boss on Doom, solving a difficult puzzle on Broken Sword. Games are meant to challenge you, that's a part of the satisfaction of going through it."

That is all true for any difficult activity. It is good in, for example, a puzzle game where there is little to no plot. But in a plot based game like an RPG, getting stuck is absolutely horrible because it slows the game's momentum down and slows the flow of the plot, which is NOT good.

Quote: "I'm not convinced by the claim that recent games have larger worlds than older ones. Many older games have larger worlds - they just had less distinctive content. Daggerfall had a much bigger world than Oblivion, but it all looked the same. And I think no game has had a bigger world than Elite!"

That's very true, older games did have massive worlds. The difference is that they were usually randomly generated, at least to some degree, and nowadays they're all small and hand crafted. I think the problem with games nowadays is that they feel just as deep (not very) as those old games, except they're much smaller and so they just fell like a rip off. But that's not what the game companies want, they want a cheap ass game so that they can start selling it sooner and making more money off of it.

Quote: "Having a place to explore is good - but it's always a question of whether or not there's wasted space"

I'll make a comparison: Oblivion and Gothic III. Oblivion's main quest felt like a complete rip off because it was so hollow. What Oblivion is rich in is side quests (i.e. stuff to fill the space that the world is full of). Gothic III has a very deep and complex main quest, but the rest of the world is full of nothing but plants, trees, and monsters. Now imagine this hypothetical game: There's a main quest as deep an meaningfull as the one in Baldur's Gate, but there's a large world that the main quest takes place in which is rich in side quests and other stuff to do like in Oblivion.

The hypothetical game that I just described has not been started yet, because the creator isn't skilled enough in making games yet. This game is going to be called "Path of the Damned" and the creator is going to be me. I probably won't be starting it until the end of the year.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2009 11:06
@Herakles, sorry, but I won't be holding my breath for your oblivion size game anytime soon. You are much, much more than 8 months from being ready to make it. The closest project you'll find to that in DB is PoPR in the WIP, which is actually very impressive so far with it's world building capability.

I deleted the last three paragraphs of this comment before I posted. Just know that it's getting hard to read the argument with a strait face and not contribute, especially after that 29th comment. I really don't want to get involved, or end up having to back up any claims I make about my game making abilities. I've gotten tired of these debates I guess. Too bad for me. The addictions there though, like a drug...

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2009 15:07
Quote: "
That's more like watching a TV show or a movie. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but when I play a game I want there to be more interactivity then that. I want to feel involved in the plot, like I'm the character in the game learning important lessons that actually have value in the real world. When I said "create your own character" I meant you create a character from scratch, not just change the character's appearance, voice, name, and stuff like that. I mean you define your own character's personality, background, and the kind of stuff that really defines who a person is."

I disagree again, it's not like watching a TV or movie, just because the characters are preset and the direction the plot follows doesn't make it like a film, because of the element of gameplay, the element of difficulty and you're helping the characters you relate to in getting to their goal.

A lot of characters are pre-defined and interesting and it has been the case for a long time and makes up for interesting plots and entertaining games, certain games just wouldn't work without a character's pre-defined personality, to pull one out of the hat, take the old Monkey Island games, they were point and click adventures following the crazy wannabe pirate Guybrush Threepwood - for a start, his name is ridiculous, he looks ridiculous and seems ridiculous at times and it makes up for his character, I doubt I would have wanted to follow the game if I chose his personality, chose his appearance etc.

Quote: "That is all true for any difficult activity. It is good in, for example, a puzzle game where there is little to no plot. But in a plot based game like an RPG, getting stuck is absolutely horrible because it slows the game's momentum down and slows the flow of the plot, which is NOT good."

Again, I disagree, the point of a game is to challenge its player, if you could just walk through it with no challenge, then it kind of defeats the point. If you get stuck and want to move on, then I see you trying harder and harder to win, whether than be a difficult boss or a difficult puzzle. If I play any game with unlimited health or where I remove the challenge of the game, I just get bored, all I'd be doing is guiding myself through a series of events.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2009 19:26
On characters: the way I see it, there are 3 ways of doing characterisation for the protagonist.

1) Have a pre-made character. Works well for plot-based games, where the character's personality or backstory may be integral to the plot. MGS1 did this fantastically. However, could lead to more of an interactive movie than a game (again, like MGS1 - a great experience, but perhaps not the pinnacle of what a game can be).

2) The player makes their own character. Works well for RPGs if the player can play as this person for hours on end, especially since subsequent playthroughs can yield a totally different character. However, any plot twists which are to do with the player would have to be to do with the backstory (eg. what the player has done) rather than who they are. For example, you could have a twist where the player was kidnapped as a child and ends up killing his parents. But the plot wouldn't be able to rely on the player's personality: the plot wouldn't be driven by a thirst for revenge on his kidnappers, but rather by the knowledge that, you know, there are some quests to do.

3) The "blank player", as used in BioShock and Half Life. Works very well if you want the player to simply look at the world around them: it's a blank canvas. This was also used very well in a source mod called "Dear Esther", where the ambiguity about who the player actually is, and how they relate to the main character, asks profound and intriguing questions about the nature of storytelling.

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 02:53
Quote: "I disagree again, it's not like watching a TV or movie, just because the characters are preset and the direction the plot follows doesn't make it like a film, because of the element of gameplay, the element of difficulty and you're helping the characters you relate to in getting to their goal."

But that's not really a Role Playing Game. If all you can control about your character is his combat stats, then you're not really playing that character's role, you're just using his combat stats. Take, for example, Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. Kyle, the main character, has his combat stats (the force powers), but it is by no stretch of the imagination an RPG. I'm not saying I don't enjoy playing games like that, I'm just saying that those kinds of games aren't RPGs.

Quote: "@Herakles, sorry, but I won't be holding my breath for your oblivion size game anytime soon. You are much, much more than 8 months from being ready to make it. The closest project you'll find to that in DB is PoPR in the WIP, which is actually very impressive so far with it's world building capability."

I already said that I'm nowhere near ready to even start making the game, but I've got plenty of time. I also have a solid concept for the game that's been in my mind, in some form or another, for the past 3 years. And look at the Star Wraith/Evochron games, which were made in DBC. Those are amazing games, and they use an older version of the language than what I'm using (DBPro).

Quote: "However, could lead to more of an interactive movie than a game (again, like MGS1 - a great experience, but perhaps not the pinnacle of what a game can be)."

That's exactly what I'm trying to say! Those kinds of games are interesting and fun to play, but they don't have any value in real life.

Quote: "The "blank player", as used in BioShock and Half Life. Works very well if you want the player to simply look at the world around them: it's a blank canvas. This was also used very well in a source mod called "Dear Esther", where the ambiguity about who the player actually is, and how they relate to the main character, asks profound and intriguing questions about the nature of storytelling."

That really only works in non RPG games. You might say that Planescape Torment was like that, but in that game you still defined your character's identity through your actions.

Quote: "Again, I disagree, the point of a game is to challenge its player, if you could just walk through it with no challenge, then it kind of defeats the point. If you get stuck and want to move on, then I see you trying harder and harder to win, whether than be a difficult boss or a difficult puzzle. If I play any game with unlimited health or where I remove the challenge of the game, I just get bored, all I'd be doing is guiding myself through a series of events."

The purpose of games is to entertain the player. What is entertaining differs from person to person, and it seems that you and alot of other people find fun in challenge. Challenge can be a good exercise for the mind, but it can also lead to frustration which is the opposite of fun. I'll compare two games in terms of challenge: Pool of Radiance and Oblivion. Pool of Radiance, while revolutionary and amazing for it's time, is almost unplayable it's so hard. That's the kind of game you either have to play about 50 times or cheat and look on the internet to figure out. A game is a challenge if you can figure it out the first few times through, but it's just idiotic if you have to do one of those two things. Oblivion, on the other hand, is very good with the difficulty factor. It's challenging, it makes you think, but you never get stuck and so you never get frustrated.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 16:42 Edited at: 24th Apr 2009 19:21
Quote: "Quote: "I disagree again, it's not like watching a TV or movie, just because the characters are preset and the direction the plot follows doesn't make it like a film, because of the element of gameplay, the element of difficulty and you're helping the characters you relate to in getting to their goal."

But that's not really a Role Playing Game. If all you can control about your character is his combat stats, then you're not really playing that character's role, you're just using his combat stats. Take, for example, Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. Kyle, the main character, has his combat stats (the force powers), but it is by no stretch of the imagination an RPG. I'm not saying I don't enjoy playing games like that, I'm just saying that those kinds of games aren't RPGs."

You're playing the character's role, how is that not 'role playing'? You're just not changing the character's personality.

Darth Kiwi summarises the character types well; by no means are any superior, but each have their own different plus points and are interesting for different reasons and you can't say a genre MUST have only one of those types. The first two work quite well for RPGs, thought the latter for the more plot-driven ones and I'd say things like Final Fantasy fall under that category. Like I have said making your own character would not work for games like that.

Also, a game is a form of entertainment, yes, but the kind that's suppose to challenge the player, if you could just walk through a game, then it isn't much of a game.

The two examples you've got are the difference between a difficult game and a less difficult game, some people like a game that they have to work hard to get through, beating a difficult games can have its feeling of triumph and reward. You get a certain high whe you're yelling, "yes! I beat him at last!" Thus it is satisfying. But that's not you, and that is why interests differ and also why game types differ. I've been playing the demo of Dead Space, it's hard, and in a way, scary, the further I manage to get myself through the demo, the more excited I am. It's not an RPG, I know, but this is an example of where challenge works. An RPG example would be The Last Remnant where I beat The Gates of Hell, he was a tough one and I'm pleased to have beaten him.

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 03:37 Edited at: 25th Apr 2009 03:38
Quote: "You're playing the character's role, how is that not 'role playing'? You're just not changing the character's personality."

You could say that about any game where you control a character. In Halo you control a character, but that's definately not an RPG.

Quote: "Like I have said making your own character would not work for games like that."

That's not true at all. Neverwinter Nights 2 is an extremely plot oriented game, and you create your own character in that game. In fact in that game, you have more control over your character's personality than in any other game I've ever played.

Quote: "Also, a game is a form of entertainment, yes, but the kind that's suppose to challenge the player, if you could just walk through a game, then it isn't much of a game."

I never said you should be able to just walk through the game with no effort at all, I'm just saying it shouldn't be TOO hard. It should never come to a point where you're so frustrated that you have to stop playing the game for a while so that you don't smash something. In fact I think that, if you're a skilled enough player, you should be able to play through the whole game without dying once. I'm not saying you should be able to kill all the enemies with one hit, I'm just saying it shouldn't take you 40 hits to kill one enemy but it takes your enemy 5 hits to kill you.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 05:24
Perhaps we should look at what a Role playing game is.

The definition I picked up was:

Quote: "A role-playing game is a computer or video game where the player controls one or several characters, and achieves victory by completing a series of quests. A key feature of the genre is that characters grow in power and abilities, and characters are typically designed by the player. Players explore a game world, while solving puzzles and engaging in tactical combat. RPGs rarely challenge a player's physical coordination, with the exception of action role-playing games."

In case you jump onto 'typically designed by the player', it doesn't mean 'always', but the games you seem to describe fall under 'Action RPGs' which the last part mentions. An Action RPG is:

Quote: "An action role-playing game is a video game based on role-playing combat systems, and typified by a heavy emphasis on real-time combat against large numbers of enemies.[1] Games in the genre often simplify or remove non-combat attributes associated with more traditional role-playing games, such as charisma (the ability to manipulate enemies socially in lieu of fighting them)."

But there are different types of RPGS and RPGS do mix with other genres.

Quote: "Quote: "Like I have said making your own character would not work for games like that."

That's not true at all. Neverwinter Nights 2 is an extremely plot oriented game, and you create your own character in that game. In fact in that game, you have more control over your character's personality than in any other game I've ever played."

I'm not arguing that plot-driven games can't have or don't work with character creation, I'm saying certain types of plot-driven games wouldn't work as well with them - sometimes a character's personality can be key to the plot-line and even their appearance can have some effect, after all appearance attributes to identity. Their pre-define character can have an effect on your relationship with them. The plots of Final Fantasys don't have the same effect as say Fable, Oblivion or Neverwinter Nights and that's why they're different games with different points of interest, sure they're all Role Playing Games but a Role Playing Game doesn't have to comply to strict standards. I like Final Fantasy etc. for different reasons to why I like Oblivion. You on the other hand much prefer the Oblivion types and don't quite buy into games where the character is pre-defined, that's fine.

It's difficult to say one is superior to another, though they're RPGs, but they're very different and I think that reflects how sometimes the genre can be diverse.

Quote: "Quote: "Also, a game is a form of entertainment, yes, but the kind that's suppose to challenge the player, if you could just walk through a game, then it isn't much of a game."

I never said you should be able to just walk through the game with no effort at all, I'm just saying it shouldn't be TOO hard. It should never come to a point where you're so frustrated that you have to stop playing the game for a while so that you don't smash something. In fact I think that, if you're a skilled enough player, you should be able to play through the whole game without dying once. I'm not saying you should be able to kill all the enemies with one hit, I'm just saying it shouldn't take you 40 hits to kill one enemy but it takes your enemy 5 hits to kill you."

Believe it or not there are people that like games like that, as people have a different level of tolerance before they're frustrated. There's a free game on the internet call 'Syobon Action' which was designed as a Mario clone to be incredibly cruel, lets put it this way, the more you die, the more you learn from your mistakes. I had me addicted, the fun is lost once you've learned where all of the traps are. Or if you prefer something with a bit more Storytelling in it, the first two Oddworld games were quite cruel and had you retrying things or using your old noggin' - some parts were really difficult and I have found myself getting stuck - almost to the point of frustration (my housemate will confirm that I did swear quite profanely at the computer when playing them recently) yet I wouldn't have had it any other way - I hated the fleeches in Abes Exoddus, but they added to my overall gaming experience and I wouldn't have asked the developers to have gotten rid of them. Somes times the death was amusing, but it kept me on my feet and made the entire thing satisfying - it was pure genius in my opinion, making them some of my favourite games of all time.

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2009 01:29 Edited at: 26th Apr 2009 01:29
Quote: "I'm not arguing that plot-driven games can't have or don't work with character creation, I'm saying certain types of plot-driven games wouldn't work as well with them"

Yes: if you were to make a videogame version of a traditional Greek Tragedy (ie. the protagonist falls from grace due to some fatal flaw in their personality) this would be difficult to do if the player could pick the character's attributes. However, other plots (particularly involving large, immersive worlds like Fallout3) work better if you can manipulate them as you wish (ie. with a player-chosen character).

On the subject of difficulty in games: I've just finished playing Braid (fantastic game! Beautiful in every sense!) and in that game, the player has to collect jigsaw pieces to complete a picture for each level. Each piece is "protected" by a puzzle, which the player has to solve. However, the player is always free to simply walk past the puzzle and move onto the next area if they wish. They'll have to come back later (you have to collect all the pieces to finish the game) but they won't be slowed down by being stuck. I think this is a fantastic system: the player has a level of choice to relieve frustration, but is ultimately made to work for their reward (and none of the puzzles are so hard that you have to have a walkthrough: you just have to think very carefully, and very cleverly).

Another game that comes to mind is Spelunky, an Indiana Jones inspired platformer where you explore caves and pick up treasure and, inevitably, get killed, painfully, by traps. The game is really very difficult: I remember one time I carefully dropped down into a room, avoiding an enemy, and totally missed the concealed poison-dart-thrower which hit and killed me with a dart as I was falling to the floor and congratulating myself on having been clever enough to have missed the enemy That's a whole different kind of difficulty: the kind that's almost humorous, and probably a little sadistic It's a great game!

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2009 23:35
> Seppuku Arts

Where did you get those definitions from? Wikipedia? Actually, the kind of game that I like doesn't really fit that second definition. Action RPGs place little to no value on character interaction, which I think is THE most important part of an RPG.

Quote: "I'm not arguing that plot-driven games can't have or don't work with character creation, I'm saying certain types of plot-driven games wouldn't work as well with them - sometimes a character's personality can be key to the plot-line and even their appearance can have some effect, after all appearance attributes to identity. Their pre-define character can have an effect on your relationship with them. The plots of Final Fantasys don't have the same effect as say Fable, Oblivion or Neverwinter Nights and that's why they're different games with different points of interest, sure they're all Role Playing Games but a Role Playing Game doesn't have to comply to strict standards. I like Final Fantasy etc. for different reasons to why I like Oblivion. You on the other hand much prefer the Oblivion types and don't quite buy into games where the character is pre-defined, that's fine."

Quote: "if you were to make a videogame version of a traditional Greek Tragedy (ie. the protagonist falls from grace due to some fatal flaw in their personality) this would be difficult to do if the player could pick the character's attributes. However, other plots (particularly involving large, immersive worlds like Fallout3) work better if you can manipulate them as you wish (ie. with a player-chosen character)."

I see where this is heading. We're getting to the difference between a game that tells "your story" and a game that tells "someone else's story". The Final Fantasy games tell "someone else's story" but Neverwinter Nights 2 tells "your story". I prefer games that tell "your story" like the upcoming game Dragon Age: Origins. And no, I'm not some Bioware employee merely trying to start up some hype for that game.

Quote: "Believe it or not there are people that like games like that, as people have a different level of tolerance before they're frustrated"

I suppose. I do have a VERY short temper.

Quote: "On the subject of difficulty in games: I've just finished playing Braid (fantastic game! Beautiful in every sense!) and in that game, the player has to collect jigsaw pieces to complete a picture for each level. Each piece is "protected" by a puzzle, which the player has to solve. However, the player is always free to simply walk past the puzzle and move onto the next area if they wish. They'll have to come back later (you have to collect all the pieces to finish the game) but they won't be slowed down by being stuck. I think this is a fantastic system: the player has a level of choice to relieve frustration, but is ultimately made to work for their reward (and none of the puzzles are so hard that you have to have a walkthrough: you just have to think very carefully, and very cleverly)."

That sounds like a good game with very well balanced difficulty.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2009 03:18
Quote: "
I see where this is heading. We're getting to the difference between a game that tells "your story" and a game that tells "someone else's story". The Final Fantasy games tell "someone else's story" but Neverwinter Nights 2 tells "your story". I prefer games that tell "your story" like the upcoming game Dragon Age: Origins. And no, I'm not some Bioware employee merely trying to start up some hype for that game."

Well, yes and that's what I'm trying to debate, neither types are superior, just different and work for different reasons. Hence character customisation would not work in certain types of games. Neverwinter Nights it works for, Fable it works for (Fable II has fantastic storytelling) it works for Oblivion.

Quote: "Where did you get those definitions from? Wikipedia? Actually, the kind of game that I like doesn't really fit that second definition. Action RPGs place little to no value on character interaction, which I think is THE most important part of an RPG."

Yes, Wikipedia, bear in mind that whilst those are the definitions provided, a game doesn't have to strictly abide by the characteristics described, they're just a basis for identifying the differences. I put them up, because there are different standards for a successful RPG and they can be quite different and aren't necessarily conformist. Oblivion was considered an action RPG by the wikipedia article, and I think some of its description applies, but not all of it.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 03:17 Edited at: 28th Apr 2009 03:22
I agree that games are getting more about quantity than quality.
If you are unfortunate enough to play Viking: Battle for Asgard you'll see what I mean, it could have been called Walking: Battle for Boredom, and as soon as you get there you do a bit of button bashing and then have to walk a hundred miles to the next pointless task!
Oblivion was just too much, I was put off by the sheer amount of crap you have to learn before playing the game, then after learning said crap I was totally absorbed for two weeks until I got bored, forgot all the crap and returned to being put off by it because of the crap.
And who can honestly say they've played final fantasy and not at some point thought "not another f***ing battle!", I never liked that system, a protagonist that fumbles around bumping into enemies he can't even see isn't a great hero. but FFVII was the first game I ever played an all-nighter on so I have to spread my chips.

can't read?
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 03:20
My sister bought a copy of Viking, I've not played it yet...but do I dare give it a shot? Most people who know me would be surprised that I haven't played it yet.(given my obsession over the Vikings)

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 03:29
I was really disapointed with it, the trailer looked awesome.
It starts off pretty well and there are some nice touches but it slowly dawns on you that the main feature of the game is walking.
you do have teleportation points but you have to walk to them and unlock them first so starting a new area is kind of demoralising.
and the tactical parts of the game dont seem to have much effect.

can't read?
Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 04:06 Edited at: 28th Apr 2009 04:08
Quote: "Oblivion was just too much, I was put off by the sheer amount of crap you have to learn before playing the game, then after learning said crap I was totally absorbed for two weeks until I got bored, forgot all the crap and returned to being put off by it because of the crap."

Actually, I didn't think Oblivion was like that at all. In fact, it's pretty simplistic compared to other games like Neverwinter Nights.

Quote: "And who can honestly say they've played final fantasy and not at some point thought "not another f***ing battle!", I never liked that system, a protagonist that fumbles around bumping into enemies he can't even see isn't a great hero. but FFVII was the first game I ever played an all-nighter on so I have to spread my chips."

That's all I was trying to say by bringing up Final Fantasy.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 18:26
Fantasy games create a strange type of club, what I mean is once you have learnt the difference between a goblin and a hob-goblin in one game you can pretty much get by in any other. I hadn't really played that type of game before Oblivion so I think I found it a bit harder to get into. Very addictive though, annoyingly so, I found myself obsessed with levelling up when I wasnt really enjoying it any more. Oh and I was doing quite well then got arrested for something petty and broke out of jail and now I can't get my items back and can't go near any towns because the guards chase me Is there a way to redeem my character, he was a good guy and I turned him into a criminal lol

can't read?
Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2009 03:22
Quote: "Is there a way to redeem my character, he was a good guy and I turned him into a criminal"

If you join the thieves guild, there'll be some people you can talk to that will make your bounties go away. And don't worry about joining this "evil" thieves guild, in Oblivion they're actually more like Robin Hood then The Godfather.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2009 12:48
Oh I did join them but I've been avoiding them trying to redeem my guy. Thanks.

1337 - "That's Numberwang!"
tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2009 17:33
I've played all the final fantasy's from VII to X-2, I did'nt care for 9 at all, just the story line turned me off. I have purchased FF XII and still have it, but I lost interest in it the first day I tried it and never played it since. FF VII has always been my favourite of the series and even still play it from time to time.

Oblivion is a game that I had since it came out and I still play it. I definitely agree though that the main story line sucks and is just too short.
However as far as side quests and other things, Oblivion has always been an enjoyable game to play. I just wish they had made more addons for it. The size of the world is'nt really so bad, atleast you can fast travel with it which is handy.

Online games period is something that I was never into so i can't comment on any of them.
I have tried socom at one point. and lost interest with online gaming the day I saw some dude float right by me and could not be killed but he could kill others (which meant he was cheating), Later I tried Diablo II, but again lost interest in it when I realized that all people seem to want to do with it is create the ultimate character rather than actually play the game. My children like that Rune scape, But again it seems that most are interested in only creating the ultimate character and trading stuff. Most Online games in my opinion suck. However there are some newer ones that I would like to try out still, but if they are online then not interested.

As far as massive worlds to explore, I agree that they can be a turn off without having things in it to capture the gamers interest. Like the game Just Cause, it is not an rpg but it has a rather large land mass. I thought this game would be fun to play but after playing it for a couple hrs I again lost interest because it was just plain boring to run around for awhile with having nothing to really do but get to my next mission. Just another game on my shelf to collect dust.
Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2009 23:35
> tatts

That's why I don't like online games, the other people don't play the game the way you play the game. I want to take my time and enjoy the plot and the world of the game (which is hopefully full of stuff, instead of being a vast empty wasteland), but other people just want to get as much gold, as much XP, and as best items as they can get. The one game I did enjoy playing multiplayer was Neverwinter Nights, but that's because the people I was playing with were on their laptops sitting right next to me and the modules we were playing were mainly story based. And Neverwinter Nights is not an "online game" per se, in fact it's mainly single player.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 14:18 Edited at: 30th Apr 2009 16:05
I've played ALL the FF games and i mean all even XI, but i have to say that FF's after X have all been bad, XII is still pretty playable, but the plot just disappears in center of the game, XI was bad because there was really nothing worth of my time. Maybe because its a MMORPG.

VIII has been my favorite FF, even the plot is kind of mess someparts, the character development is most incredible and you can really relate to someone. I also liked the junction system =)

VII has probably best story in FF series especially when the Crisis Core kicks in (That game was good btw! even tho lineral..) and the ending was weird, i mean you know from playing FFVII how it would happen, but still its kinda unexpected. And that was Genesis even evil?

IX is my third favorite and probably most played FF, it has lot of replayaply, awesome game mechanics and good character deveploment (ATE ) The minigames are catchy even tho the card game was pretty fail.

The older ones werent so good either, i did like VI tho.

For random battles, i was okay with them. I never got the feeling does these never end? In VII, VIII and IX because they were actually "fun" and those battles that you would not even want to fight could be easily escaped. But in X they got pretty overkilled and especially in Crisis Core. Crisis Core lineraty and random battles make the whole thing pretty bad, but the game was good still.

As for gameworld size, it does not really matter. Its good to have lots of content, but if it isn't intresting or fun, why brother?

Seppuku, have you watched the OVA that came with Advent Children Complete? It really explains Denzel in depth and can make you play VII nomore as you see how cruelly you kill many people in Sector-7 explosion!

http://myanimelist.net/anime/6151/Final_Fantasy_VII:_On_the_Way_to_a_Smile_-_Episode:_Denzel

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 16:25
No I haven't, I might nab it though.

I think getting back on track with the size argument, I have been playing Fable 2 recently and well, it has closed maps, the game is short, there's a lot in the world, but you could say that it isn't that big, or at least all of its space is filled with something interesting.

Because it is a short game, I think it could add something to this debate because it is a fantastic game, I felt it was worth every penny and then some more and I don't feel making it longer would have made it better...though I did have a friend say that he was disappointed by the fact it was short. But anybody who has played this, what do you think? There were so many things I could do and I loved every second of it. I didn't have to travel too far, even without using quick-travel, and because of that, if I was passing through Bowerstone or some town, I would stop by, either to see my family or earn some money and I felt no rush to get through the maps.

I think it's an interesting piece of game design there. Particularly as the story wasn't particularly original, though the plot was deep and the characters realistic, I even loved my pet dog and my daughter, they were awesome! It was enough to move me in that respect. Though it was short and not particularly big (the terrains didn't feel endless), it managed to have so much in it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 11:56:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 11:56:47