Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Extreme Graphics Makeover Contest: Summer Edition

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2009 17:07 Edited at: 11th Jun 2009 13:34
**The EXTREME Graphics Makeover Contest: Summer Edition**

Contest Date: From June 1st up to and including August 15th

Contest Rules:

1) The Contest is open to all registered users of the TGC Forums.
2) Programmers can use DBC, DBPro, Dark GDK, or Play Basic to make their game entry.
3) The Game Category is 'Any'. I would however like to suggest Puzzle games, Games of luck, Memory games, or 'Thinking/Logic' games.
4) Gameplay is top priority, followed by innovation. (remakes are allowed but a reworking of a game idea would be better)
5) Keep it simple, the phrase "A Minute to learn a lifetime to master" is a good thing to keep in mind.
6) ALL Entries must use 'Placeholder' graphics. (this will allow for a much quicker upgrade if you are one of the lucky winners. Not to mention make it easier for me you make the new graphics fit.)
7) Have fun and enjoy the contest.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your Entries here.. http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=151836&b=2
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional info and limitations of the amount of graphics I'm offering..

Make it Fugly............................................................Win a Facelift!

Where I draw the line:..

What's the Limit of my generosity?.. I'm NOT offering to do 'Animation' or 'Animated Sprites', I am NOT offering to make 3D models. That said, I am offering GUI Upgrades, Sprites, Widgets, Backgrounds, Basically I'm offering custom 2D artwork. I could be in the right mood to help with 'Textures' but I'll tell you up front I am not making 3D models or generating UV maps. If you have a model and 'untextured UV map' I might find the motivation to add some texture to it for you.

Some of the Mods here at TGC will be on the Judging panel.

Let the FUN BEGIN!

Cheers!

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 02:59
Posting this now (a few hours early) but will be gone till later.

Cheers!

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 03:11
This sounds awesome! Finally I can work on a game without having to worry about the graphics. I'll definitely be entering as I have more free time over the summer than I know what to do with.

i like orange
Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 05:25
@David-
Quote: "2) Programmers can use DBC, DBPro, Dark GDK, or Play Basic to make their game entry."

Do we have to make it with Darkbasic Professional or listed apps? I have been working on a cool little ugly platformer for a week or 2 now with my free time before work every day. Would a GameMaker made game be allowed or is that excluded?

Thanks,
Beastegargoyle

The Last Great Swordsmen a 3D hack N slash http://lastswordsmen.freezoka.com
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 14:19 Edited at: 1st Jun 2009 14:20
Beast E Gargoyle,

Basically the contest is open to all registered users of the TGC Forums. I only mentioned the 'programming' tools here at TheGameCreators because the contest is mainly about helping budding programmers get a leg up with some graphics content for their game. I excluded FPS Creator and the 3D Gamemaker because games made with these entail 3d models and texturing. Also, these game making tools have a wealth of graphic resources already available.

I'm going to have to say "No!" to FPS Creator and 3D Gamemaker made games in this contest.

You could argue that These games have some 2D content in the form of HUD/GUI elements. But this is a small percentage of the graphics in games made using those 2 products. If you need a HuD or GUI help you could post a thread saying "My HUD is fugly, can anyone help?" I or other artists here might be able to help.

Cheers!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 14:40
I think he means the 2D Game Maker package that a lot of people migrated here from. It's quite widely used for platform games and retro zelda-eque-RPG games.

Really though David has to own and know how to use the packages supported, I think that the eligible list has to remain as is (TGC supported apps only), even though it would be a pretty ideal system for the entrants to have a strict and standard set of sprite/tile sheets.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 14:48
Sucks without FPS Creator,but about the custom media,maybe only 100% scratch games would be allowed???

A.K.A. chargerbandit
[href]http://chargedstudios.ultimatefpsc.com/[href]
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 14:53
If the competition is about gameplay, why does language matter at all?

09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0
Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 15:13 Edited at: 1st Jun 2009 15:13
Already started it , hehe I have a very.. well what i think is original idea ^-^.

I'm guessing I could have things like the GUI/textures being ready to be textured, that way you'd literally have to just go into the media file and switch out blankish placeholders for brand spanking new shiny stuff.

i thought daniel would be hosting the next comp . Good luck to everyone who enters

Is there a limit to how many games you can enter? Cause i'll probably have a few finished by the time the comp is over.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 15:33
Quote: "If the competition is about gameplay, why does language matter at all?"

For the very reasons I stated in my reply.

Be sensible about this, consider David having to redo graphics - if you want your game to be 3D, not done in a supported language, or use non-standard graphics formats then you need to find another competition, this one is not for you.

It's simple guys, make a straightforward game using stand-in graphics, and the winner get's their stand-ins redone by David. David has to be able to easily redo the graphics, which is really the point of the competition.

Good luck all, hope to see some fun games come from this, and I hope that some people will volunteer to skin other entries - I think that would be pretty cool, having all the entrants getting their graphics redone. Hehe, maybe after this comp, there could be a side comp for the best post-competition graphics makeover .

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 16:34
Quote: "For the very reasons I stated in my reply."

You mentioned Mr Gervais' ability to contribute graphics / alter them - that's not necessarily language dependent though. Obviously 3D is out, but provided we keep the graphics in open or standardised formats, surely the language should be anything within reason?

(Besides, very few languages force you to use strange formats or package the assets in a strange way, so I don't really see why the language needs to be accessible at all in order to remake the graphics. Clearly named, common-format assets should suffice)

09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 16:52
The list of 'supported' languages reflects the products available here at The Game Creators or in the case of Play Basic a product that until recently was part of the TGC product line. (Also, Kevin has been a long time supporter and guru here on the forums and I consider him and PlayBasic a part of the TGC forums/community.)

It's worth noting that by including Dark GDK, I'm also allowing third party programming languages into the mix, Dark GDK requires a C/C++ compiler without one it's a doorstop.

Quote: "If the competition is about gameplay, why does language matter at all?"

You're right in a global sense, gameplay is not restricted to any specific language. This Contest is however restricted to the listed tools/languages.

I thought the rules were pretty straightforward, but if you have more questions feel free to ask.

Cheers!

P.S. Placeholder graphics are a requirement period! They serve the purpose of defining important aspects of your games,.. be it a background, a sprite, or a GUI element. Use color squares, gradient colors, text as sprites, or whatever you can manage to draw. the preferred file types are .png, .jpg.

Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 23:35 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2009 19:12
I'm entering! Gunna make a 2D verison of block pusher xtreme with more stuff so it'll be Block Pusher XTREME 2D XTREME...
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 23:38
Quote: " I thought Daniel would be hosting the next comp "

This is a bonus competition with a nice twist. It's not a replacement for any other competitions, it's a generous contribution to the mix.

I'm looking forward to seeing some before and after comparisons of these games. I remember just how much more polished one of my competition games would have been, had I not needed to spend hours texturing kitchens and golf courses for my snake to wander round.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 00:52
Quote: "so it'll be Block Pusher XTREME 2D XTREME"

Oh yea? Well I'll make Pong XTREME 2D XTREME To THE MAX TIMES INFINITY!

[url="http://dbcc.zimnox.com"][/url]
Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 01:48
I don't know if I like the sound of this competition. My next game was going to be a hardcore FPS written in DarkBASIC Classic in full 3D.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 05:01
Quote: "My next game was going to be a hardcore FPS written in DarkBASIC Classic in full 3D."

Ok. No one is forcing you to enter it, and if you do enter it nobody is forcing you to stop working all your other projects.

i like orange
Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 08:24
Van B, i believe I'd be happy to re-do someone's graphics for a bit of fun , providing the game wasn't too hard to implement the new graphics. ^-^

I volunteer , but i'm still going to make at least one game for this competition

Battoad
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 13:40
Could you confirm what is meant by "Placeholder" graphics. Is it just identifying the sprites x and y co-ordinates?

Juney
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 14:11
A 'placeholder' graphic is exactly what you might think. a bitmap (.png or .jpg) that your code loads and displays. to represent what and where it goes in the game and weather it is a GUI element, background, sprite etc. one of the most important parts of using a placeholder graphic is I know the size and type of graphic needed.

Also, when I redo the 'placeholder' graphics no additional modification is needed to see the final results. I just send/upload the replacement graphics, you overwrite the placeholder ones with the new makeover ones and Voila! Eye Candy Surprise! Poof! WoW!

Understand? good, carry on!

Cheers!

Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 14:12
Quote: "Oh yea? Well I'll make Pong XTREME 2D XTREME To THE MAX TIMES INFINITY!"

Fine then... I'll have to make Block Pusher XTREME 2D XTREME SPECIAL^(0/0) ULTRA XTREME BLOX

On a slightly more serious note, will there be a designated board for this competition?

Dir en grey, Slipknot, the GazettE, Gackt, Miyavi, SuG, Sadie, alice nine., exist trace, HIGH and MIGHTY COLO(u)R, Kagrra,, MAXIMUM THE HORMONE = <3
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 17:19
I'll make an extreme makeover contest entry thread as soon as someone posts that he or she has something ready. No rush though, take the time to complete at least beta versions of your entries.

Cheers!

Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 17:35 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2009 19:11
Cool. I'm planning mine until my exams finish, so far I have a lot of crazy concepts. It's very kind of you to do this by the way!
Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 17:46
I have a proto-type created, still working on bits and bobs of it though, thinking of ways of making it better

so far all i'm giving away is it's name: Equilibrium, oh yea and the fact it's a skill game.

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Think I'll enter this.

It's all summer right?
Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2009 16:36
yep til sometime in august i believe

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2009 17:17 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2009 19:03
Hmmm I'll probally do something about cubes and towers.

Anyone else wish to share a vague outline?

Edit: Already got two assets and the music loop.
Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2009 17:39 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2009 19:11
Are these placeholder enough?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2009 19:02
Diru, yes that is a good example of using placeholder graphics.

Cheers!

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2009 13:54 Edited at: 4th Jun 2009 13:55
Still brainstorming ideas. Will likely participate.

Do we put our WIPs in the WIP section or is this going to go with the Community Competition stuff?
Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2009 20:45
Done the hardest part now: Level editor, saving maps and loading maps Just gotta add enemies, lots more obstacles, lots of levels and lots more bad graphics.
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Methinks that the entry thread needs stickying.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 15:39
hmm Isn't this the 'announcement thread'? the other one is the 'Entry thread'. LoL

I know I could move, sticky, rent or use any of the other mod powers I got, but for some reason playing with my own thread using mod powers seems a bit vain LOL

Cheers!

Zeroff
Years of Service
User Offline
What does "Place Holder" Graphics meen?

Yet to have a signature
Samoz83
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 22:14 Edited at: 6th Jun 2009 22:19
Quote: "What does "Place Holder" Graphics meen?"

Quote: "A 'placeholder' graphic is exactly what you might think. a bitmap (.png or .jpg) that your code loads and displays. to represent what and where it goes in the game and weather it is a GUI element, background, sprite etc. one of the most important parts of using a placeholder graphic is I know the size and type of graphic needed.

Also, when I redo the 'placeholder' graphics no additional modification is needed to see the final results. I just send/upload the replacement graphics, you overwrite the placeholder ones with the new makeover ones and Voila! Eye Candy Surprise! Poof! WoW!"
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 03:38 Edited at: 11th Jun 2009 13:36
Thanks for the suggestion GG, I should have thought of that, I added a link to the entry thread under the rules.

Cheers!

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 16:17 Edited at: 17th Jun 2009 16:17
[EDIT]

Never mind...

TheComet

Make the path of your enemies easier with Waypoint Pro!
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 13:27
Does the winner also get copyright to the graphics? Say I made a game in DBP, won the contest and some graphics. Then I ported it to iPhone and sold it on iTunes. Could I do that royalty free?
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 13:34
You don't get the copyrights, but I will give you 'express permission' to use the graphics for commercial and non-commercial use. That way you are free to market your game any way you see fit, but I retain the copyrights and if ever I want to include those graphics in an 'Art Bundle' I am also free to do that.

Is that fair enough?

Cheers!

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 22:12
Cool I have a strategy boardgame I've been itching to digitize for a while now, so I think I'll be entering.
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Now I return again, this post looks like the ideal thing to get over my bad programming issues and have fun

jblack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2009 00:14 Edited at: 30th Jul 2009 00:18
a

That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2009 23:03
wow, just checked the time left on the challenge and nearly **** my pants, thot this compo ran longer

i should have something posted by then, but I guarantee nothing

That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2009 21:35
contest ends saturday, has anyone even enterred?

also do you want the game as a .dba file or an exe?

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 04:20
I would prefer an executable and the placeholder graphics uploaded in a zip or rar file. The beauty of using placeholder graphics is I should be able to just replace the old graphics with new ones and the game will run out of the box with the facelift in full bloom. No 'special' recompile should be needed. In fact if I redo the graphics and they can't be seen without a recompile then you missed the point of the contest.

So far the only Work in progress I have seen is by Diru. But a work in progress is NOT an entry. I sure hope he and anyone else manages to upload before Saturday at Midnight.

We'll find out soon enough, I'll announce the results of the contest at the beginning of next week.

Cheers!

Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 11:44
What's the GMT deadline? Because I'm not sure which timezone you are basing midnight on.
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 13:44
I'm GMT-6 here, although I'll probably be sleeping long before midnight, so I'll effectively check for the final entries when I wake up on the 16th. (so technically you could say you have till noon GMT on the 16th to upload your entries)

If that's not fair I don't know what is.

Cheers!

That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 19:07
what defines the line between WIP and completed?

is it just when you say "im done" or what?

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 19:14
a WIP is exactly what it says Work-In-Progress. It implies the game is ongoing in dev and has not reached what would be considered an Alpha or Beta Build. I would expect with the 2 and a half months given for this contest any entry should at the very least be at the beta stage. Meaning 'Playable'. Having code that loads all the graphics and sets up the game but has no 'function' is just what I would call 'initialization code' and does not constitute a game.

Cheers!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 12:49:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 12:49:54