Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / 3D Air Hockey

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2009 16:20 Edited at: 24th May 2010 22:16
Hey guys, I have been working on an air hockey game lately and thought I'd release it for download! Still isn't perfect but for a first game I'm happy enough with it!

I transfered the project to DB from GDK recently.
It will be the first game I have actually fully finished!
I do plan on coming back to older projects in the future though!
All the sprites, models, sounds, etc are made by me so not amazing media! Haha! Anyway get downloading!

Rules (Tournament)
Easy - 5 Goals wins
Medium - 15 Goals wins
Hard - 30 Goals wins

I know there are still some bugs but I have decided to wrap up this project as I could be tweaking it forever!

Here's a screenshot of the games main menu..

Downloads
3D Air Hockey (V 0.9)
3D Air Hockey (V 0.96)
3D Air Hockey (V 0.98)
3D Air Hockey (V 1.0)

-Latest download attached ( 3mb Installer )

It is advised to run the game as admin, windows may stop the game saving your progress otherwise

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2009 18:06
Very good!

Sometimes the ball goes the wrong way when hitting the pad. I like the game options, works very good!

How did you do the mouse position to 3D position of the pad? If it isn't top secret
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2009 22:07
Screenies.

Big ups for starting small.
Making a fully finished game, no matter how small, is a big step.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2009 22:33
@Turoid: Cheers! The physics are very primative at the moment so I'm gonna do a bit of work on them! And to do the the model positioning I just used the built in dbPickObject command!

@tiresius: Ah new I was forgeting something! Haha I'll put a pic up now! And yeah I know what you mean! Since I'm just new to GDK I thought I'd start small!

Anyway I'v updated the games AI and physics a bit to have more dynamic gameplay..
AI - Computer bat now moves on X and Z axis and is a bit more human like!
Physics - Friction slows down puck and speed at which bat hits the puck now effects the pucks speed.

Anyway I think there's a glitch in the game due to the screen resolution and I'm gonna experiment with anti-aliasing to try to fix this, if anyone has any suggestions please do say! Here's a pic of the problem..

Anyway thanks for the comments guys, keep them coming!

There are 10 types of people, people who know binary and people who don't!
Jeff032
Years of Service
User Offline
Perhaps the glitch has to do with the range of your camera being too high? You could try increasing the near value and/or decreasing the far value using SET CAMERA RANGE.

-Jeff

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2009 02:59 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2009 03:01
Nice game! The whole thing is well realised- menus work well, nice models etc. Gameplay is compelling. Even though the physics can be a bit dodgy, i still enjoyed myself and the difficulty level is enough to make you work to win, without being impossible.

Like i said, and like you said, the physics needs some work. I'm guessing you're doing something like assuming the paddle is stationary (but with some velocity) for collsion purposes- i noticed that when i move the paddle quickly forwards, i can "tunnel" it through the puck. A bit of work on the physics would make the game a lot better.

A small problem is that with this small windowed mode, moving the mouse cursor offscreen stops you being able to move the paddle. Also the game window looked small with the screen resolution I have. I would rather the game was in fullscreen windowed mode. There's some code around here where you can find the desktop resolution and set the program's resolution to match, to prevent blurry resising problems. I'll hunt it down if you like.

Basically you're very nearly there. A bit more work on the physics and it'll be totally awesome.

lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2009 04:45 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2009 08:27
i bet this would be very fun and addictive to play.

Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2009 14:53
@Jeff032: Appreciate the help. Tried the above with no diference though! I have found out that the glitch doesn't occur when anti aliasing is activated.

@Dr Tank: Cheers for the kind words! And yeah I'm still working on the physics, I see what you mean about the tunneling through the puck. And I know exactly what you mean with the mouse moving off the window, it got quite annoying so I'v made the game full screen now

@lucifer 1101: Haha change your mind about having the game on the site? I'd be happy for you to put it up when the games finished if you still want?!

Anyway I'v ran into a bit of a problem with anti-aliasing... after experimenting with..

I found out that the anti aliasing works perfectly prior to having sprites or images pasted on the screen, but as soon as you do this the AA disables for the rest of the game! If anyone has any idea of a workaround then please post!

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2009 15:53
Quote: "I found out that the anti aliasing works perfectly prior to having sprites or images pasted on the screen, but as soon as you do this the AA disables for the rest of the game! If anyone has any idea of a workaround then please post!"

I haven't used anti-aliasing, but if you want to avoid pasting images and sprites to the screen, you can use locked plane objects textured with the images you would have pasted.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2009 15:54 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2009 16:03
Fun game, and nicely presented. Can't really add anything much to the comments others have made on the physics, but I found that you can beat hard mode doing very little...

edit: just looking through the media folder, I noticed you've spelt difficulty as "dificulty". I would also recommend that you seperate difficulty from each of the numbers to decrease the overall file size, but considering the entire image folder is only 280kb I wouldn't pay it any heed.

Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2009 16:50
@Dr Tank: I was thinking about that but I have just gotten styx for DB Pro, so I think I might transfer this project to DB so I can use the anti-aliasing and texture filters, will give me a bit of practise at DB to (tring to brush up my programming!).

@MonoCoder: Lol yeah that might be a bit of a problem! I will sort out glitches like that soon enough! And I fixed the spelling mistake in the sprites too. As for having the numbers as seperate sprites.. as you have said, it wont make much of a difference in this case to the size of the folder.

Anyway the latest version (V 0.98) is now in full screen mode, to stop the annoying mouse movement problem! Download it now at the top of the thread!

cyril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2009 21:29 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2009 21:30
look like a fun game, am yet to try it.

the hole in the model glitch is the specular,
because the specular and the board is the same colour it looks like a hole; change the board colour, or specular color;
use: [set object specular] or use a per-pixel specular shader.

hope this helps
cyril
Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2009 16:01
Hey guys sorry its been a while since the last update! The game is practically completed though, I will upload it soon!
In the meantime I was just wondering.. would my timer based movement function be a bad way of going about it?!

I am using the 'Slowdown' variable in such a way...
"move object ObjNum, Speed * Slowdown"

I find it hard to test if timer based movement works efficiently! If anyone has any knowledge of this then comments would be appreciated! Thanks!

Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2009 17:18 Edited at: 13th Aug 2009 17:18
@cyril: Thanks for the help! But I tried that in GDK and didn't make any difference. Its ok though, the glitch doesn't seem to happen in darkbasic! And since the project is now built in db I don't have to worry about that.

Anyway the final version of the game is now in the top post, it is in full screen exclusive mode now, giving it a smoother graphics! And as for timer based movement.. I decided to take it out just after I posted! Its not really needed in a game that should work fast on all systems.

Remember to run as administrator if you want to be sure your progress is saved for next time you load up the game

Get downloading! And enjoy

BowserYo
Years of Service
User Offline
I think your upload is corrupted, It keeps saying "file contains invalid data".

ßõw§€r¥¤
Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2009 01:32 Edited at: 3rd May 2010 21:37
@BowserYo: Thats strange! Seems fine to me, don't think anyone had this problem either. Anyway try it again and it might work or if it doesn't then you can download it from gametorpedo.. my sig will bring you straight to the download there! And don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the site! Cheers!

Download:
http://www.gametorpedo.com/games/3d-air-hockey

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 14:47:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 14:47:01