Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / Access Granted

Author
User Deleted
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 22:32 Edited at: 27th Jul 2009 22:34

Well I believe this is the right place to post about ideas and concepts. This is an idea I have had brewing for a long time and thought I would make the first steps in making it physical…

The Story

In the future, technology will permit the digital replication of the human brain.
A secure network will house the thoughts and memories of key individuals, who’s intelligences will have significant impact on the development of mankind.

Every network can be compromised.

It is you, hacker, who will penetrate those digital gates, and steal the data within.
Your efforts will echo our cause, the quest for truth.
We will lift the sheets from these “ghosts in the machine”.

The Game

The game takes place in a virtual environment, a battlefield.
Each level takes place on a grid where the player must navigate in their tank to obtain the “brain” in each level. The brain contains the data the player needs to progress.

The grid is a wireframe matrix, that has three height levels, the player can only travel in the central layer, the high and low levels are used to forge the routes available to the player.

Each grid has obstacles, first we will look at the security programs, these include tank programs, tower programs and fly programs.

All programs, including the player tank, can fire through the matrix grid, however no projectile can pass through the red sectors(red cubes).
The enemy tank program patrols and fires when in range with the player.

The towers work as turrets, they fire at the player when the player enters their range, typically they are the easiest of opponent programs.

The fly program is invincible, however it can be avoided by paying close attention to the path ahead.
Hexagonal targets will sway backwards and forth over key areas, entering these targets will cause a fly to lock on your position, the fly will perform an air strike which will prove costly to your tanks stability.
You can escape a target by maintaining a high speed when the fly drops its payload.

The brain, your ultimate goal, you must capture it to seize its data and progress.

Gates are barriers which usually block access to the brain or I/O streams. There are two types of gate, a Key gate and a Logic gate. A Key Gate requires the player to have possession of the relevant key to gain access. The Logic gate will require the hacker to solve a logical puzzle in order to progress, each incorrect answer will result in damage to your tank.

Killing certain enemies will produce an executable (EXE) pick-up, these programs will then be available to the hackers toolset when he or she reaches an I/O stream. Each executable will grant the player an additional function, whether its to increase health or to add additional weapons or even change colour.

The I/O stream is typically found at the halfway point of each level and allows the player terminal access to their inventory and to the hacker who programmed them. Here you can access your collected programs and turn the tables on how the grid is played.

Well that’s the summary of my game, I just wanted to get it down on paper so it feels more “alive”, as opposed to bits and bobs floating around in my head.

When I go ahead with this project I will be kicking it off with a team request of ridiculous proportions

Comments welcome!

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 23:09
Are those screenies from the project or just sketches because theyre pretty cool =)
In fact the whole idea sounds very good, but possibly a little bit repetitive for a lot of levels...

I like work. It fascinates me. I sit and look at it for hours

The Start of my FPS
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2009 00:26
Been watching much Tron? xD Sounds good, very Tron inspired

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2009 20:38
Looks like firewall .

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2009 22:03 Edited at: 30th Jul 2009 02:34
Wow, it is very Tron inspired. The concept images look really cool. If the game plays even half as good as it looks, it's going to be great.

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2009 04:02
looks cool!

Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 2nd Aug 2009 17:38
Thanks for the feedback guys

My enemy is time, I am quick with design but programming takes me too long, a project like this would anyway.

I would be interested to get an idea on what kind of a task this would be, would it take very long to make an editor for this game ?
Are there elements which would be hell to code?

My intention is really to invite someone into this project, so that they can call it as much "theirs" as mine.
I would provide the visual and front-end, the partner would make the editor and game.

Lucky 13
Years of Service
User Offline
This is a very good looking project - both visually and conceptually. I wish you the best of luck in completing it.
Emphasoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2009 23:46
I would be interested in collaborating on this project. I think I have the skills necessary to accomplish it.

Salvation and Sickness are in every heart. Death and Deliverance are in every hand.
-Orson Scott Card
Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 3rd Aug 2009 10:54
Hi Emphasoft,

Could you post links to your work or website ?

Emphasoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2009 23:24
I can do one better. What is your email address?

Salvation and Sickness are in every heart. Death and Deliverance are in every hand.
-Orson Scott Card
Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 3rd Aug 2009 23:26
excellent,

wehtam2[at]hotmail[dot]com

Emphasoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2009 23:49
email sent

-Orson Scott Card
Storm4
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm, I had started an idea like this but it didn't work out. Good job by the way. When will this be released for download or buying?

www.storm4.webs.com
pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
What language are you planning on doing the game in?
Homey the Clown
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 00:19 Edited at: 5th Aug 2009 00:25
Wehtam_, I am very much interested in this project and would like to help out. I really dont want much 'commitment' (like no 40 hour weeks or whatever you are expecting...) as i am a college student and sometimes have a busy life. but i wont mind 'donating' some useful code. I am pretty organized as a coder and actually already have quite a few functions you might find useful. you seem to have a clear perception and realistic goal of the project in mind.

I am currently working on a game engine called 'Caliber' that is showing pretty good progress so far. I can donate parts of my engine for this game. Most of my sets of functions can work independently of others and should be pretty easy to integrate. I also wont mind helping out with the layout and structure of the program. let me know what you think.

anyways, i still want to make a level editor for this as it seems pretty simple and i have already started on an editor for my game engine. if/when i finish or can whip up a demo, you can just let me know if you want to keep it or not. wont bother me.

If at first you dont succeed, call it version 1.0.
Emphasoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 00:41
@Homey, Help with the game engine would be greatly appreciated. I am doing most of it as it stands now, but if you have any skill in shader usage, or gui stuff, that would be very helpful.

-Orson Scott Card
Homey the Clown
Years of Service
User Offline
i dont have much experience with shaders but i am proficient in GUI stuff. if you guys have specific requests, i will see what i can do but the whole idea for me is to put a group of functions with a common goal (such as bmp font functions, or gamepad control), add some documentation on the functions, and commit them to you guys. whether you use them, alter them, or deny them is up to you guys...but if my code is accepted, simple credibility will be nice. i am really interested and currently writing a simple scripting language for my engine that i can pass on to you guys.

but if you guys dont take my offers like i said, no harm taken. this is really just for my knowledge and expanding my experience in making easy and diverse levels.

Emphasoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 03:23
The script and GUI stuff would be very helpful to this project. This is wehtam's project, so it is ultimately his call, but I am sure that your help would be accepted. The bmp font especially might be helpful. That, and a text input function would be great.

-Orson Scott Card
Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 09:13
Hi Homey,

Thank you for your offer! All help is appreciated. As Emphasoft is taking the helm with regard to programming, you might expect a message from him.

In terms of GUI, I have most of the graphical side underway, however I will definately call upon your services should I need a hand.
Thanks again!

Homey the Clown
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 20:05 Edited at: 5th Aug 2009 20:06
Well i will have to thank you for the images as it has kind of inspired/excited me. I have an idea in mind for the editor so i thought i would work on it. to be honest, i probably wont start on it for another 4-5 days as i will be out of town. but i will try to find a day to just sit down and start working on the basics of the actual editor(functionality) and start adding GUI elements. this scripting language will just ultimately be tied in with the file format for the level. so knowing the commands, you can open the level file in notepad and modify a few things for the level. actions, events, or triggers will be added one day but is not priority. so once i can get a working sample of the editor, i will also provide my code to load the level.

Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 23:48
Hi Homey,

I'm glad you like the concept and artwork

Please bare in mind that Emphasoft has a working editor which we are using at the moment, and i am in the process of creating GUI elements for that editor. I wouldn't want you to start working on a side of the game that is already established.

Emphasoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2009 04:19 Edited at: 6th Aug 2009 18:25
The GUI things being offered would be of more use in the actual game-specifically a console window for I/O input, as I am not sure how best to approach it.
edit: I stand corrected. The console now works perfectly.

-Orson Scott Card
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2009 05:46
Looks awesome. I would be glad to help, but I always find myself picking up multiple projects at once and nothing gets done.

You guys better finish this game! It looks sick.

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
This is brilliant, I'll be following this!

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Isaac Newton
Current Project: http://strewnfield.wordpress.com/ (Last updated 06/11/09)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 01:18:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 01:18:13