Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / [Free - 2D] Map Editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2009 16:06 Edited at: 11th Oct 2009 09:28
EDP Map Editor V1.14

I've just pushed out the most recent update for the editor, and I'm not proud to say that it's at a state on which I'm able to call it a usable product. The editor itself is nothing fancy, it's quite a simple straightforward map editor which does *most* of the things you could need in one. However the more advanced stuff is handled by the included loader code.

Anyway, a list of the current features is below:
Dynamic Map Sizes(From 24*18 tiles up to 100*100 tiles, it has been limited to reduce loading times).
Multiple layers to work on.
Blockable tiles(You'll need to program the actual blocking, however you can retrieve whether a tile is blocked or not with the included code library).
Animated Tiles(You'll have to define these by programming them with your own intervals).
Simple sprite-based rendering system.
One image contains all tiles.

I might have missed a feature or two, but really... It's just a simple editor, it's about functionality, not shiny features.

Editor with grid on:

Editor with grid off:

The same map loaded with the code example:

Now for the download, the below download contains Version 1.12, please update to Version 1.14 through the Updater from the launcher menu when you run this program, it will update and the next time you start any of the options it will remove all old obsolete files and will only keep the correct ones, for example the Map Editor will delete all the old tiles and use the new tile set instead.

Download Setup(1.15c) : >>>Download<<<
Remember to UPDATE!

The above setup does NOT contain the 'infected' file anymore and has been tested by Cram down this page and turned out clean!

The original topic of this software can be found over Here in the W.I.P. boards.

EDP Map Editor[2D]
Valle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2009 00:46
wow, this looks awesome! thanks for sharing I'll maybe use it in a project someday, i think it saves a lot of time

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
now thinking about it it would be kinda nice to be able to edit the size of the grid looks like 32X32.

also about the blocked squares is that carried over with the map or does it just save it as a image?

[url]http://myportfolio.x10hosting.com/[url]
visit my site.(still in progress)
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2009 07:21
Quote: "now thinking about it it would be kinda nice to be able to edit the size of the grid looks like 32X32."

It would be possible to do that, shouldn't be too tricky... I'd just have to reprogram the entire core since it was originally designed to work with 32*32

Quote: "also about the blocked squares is that carried over with the map or does it just save it as a image?"

It is, everything is saved as *.edm(Map file, containing all the tile data), *.eds(Size file, this tells the editor/loader how large the array should be) and *.edb(Block file, this contains all the blocked tiles) files.

Quote: "wow, this looks awesome! thanks for sharing I'll maybe use it in a project someday, i think it saves a lot of time"

Thanks!

EDP Map Editor[2D]
Marsh0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2009 01:59 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2009 02:10
Cool map editor

Though i was wondering, when you hit new how did you get that popup window where you can enter text? would love it if you could show me some sample code. If not thanks anyway .

Awesome map editor
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2009 07:25 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2009 07:26
Quote: "Though i was wondering, when you hit new how did you get that popup window where you can enter text? would love it if you could show me some sample code. If not thanks anyway"

It's a command from Goga's Free DBP Plugin V2.0.(Return$ = InputBox(Title$, Prompt$, DefaultValue$)

EDP Map Editor[2D]
Marsh0
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks, its a shame that wont work with dark gdk.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2009 07:31
Maybe This will be of some help to you.

EDP Map Editor[2D]
Marsh0
Years of Service
User Offline
many thanks!
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2009 13:29
***Patch 1.15 has been released!***

Changes Include:

Removed the Blocked Tile Feature.
Added the Attribute feature, this lets you set your own attributes(with an unlimited number) which can be read with the command EDPSPR_GetTileAttribute(X,Y). This way you can create your own events for certain attribute numbers and this will also make the editor a little more flexible.
Removed some old useless code.
Modified the Keywords file.
Changed the way the map loading function works, it now also asks for the *.eds and *.edb files instead of just assuming they're named the same way.

The new Attribute system is handled the EXACT same way as the Blocked system, therefor old maps can still be loaded into the editor and into the map loader, and the blocked tiles will be treated as Attribute ID 1.

EDP Map Editor[2D]
Coder#05
Years of Service
User Offline
leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2009 10:57
very nice program...i have a few question about the editor..

1. what program did u use to make your tiles...did u use the promotion program that THE GAME CREATOR has for sale.....

2. is there away to load our own tiles..

and i just fool around with ur program....

3.what is the use or the propuse of the attribute.

this a very good 2d editor.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2009 18:52 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2009 18:57
Quote: "1. what program did u use to make your tiles...did u use the promotion program that THE GAME CREATOR has for sale....."

I found them ages ago somewhere on a royalty free site, I've been using them ever since. I did edit the tile set so it could be used though, since it was originally an RMXP Chipset. I have about 5000+ tiles in that style, but only included a few for demo purposes.

Quote: "2. is there away to load our own tiles.."

Yes there is, by default the tile set is stored at Drogram FilesEDP Map EditorMap EditorTiles, unless you have it installed in a different location. Note that the tile file is a *.png, it can be any dimensions as long as it's dividable by 32.

Quote: "3.what is the use or the propuse of the attribute."

These are for when you have made the map and loaded it up in your game, you can then determine whether a tile has a certain attribute or not... Like, Attribute 1 is blocked, so when your code reads that a tile uses Attribute 1, it blocks it(My code doesn't do this, you'll need to write your own for this).

Oh, and on a side note, the way to get the REAL location of your player is to use this code:

If you just use the screen coordinates divided by 32 you'll get the ON SCREEN tile, not the actual tile that should be used for the attribute code.

Edit : I should probably update the Wiki soon, but I'm a little busy lately.

EDP Map Editor[2D]
Sharlenwar
Years of Service
User Offline
Silvester, as a relatively new user to DarkBASIC Pro. Are you planning on releasing any source code? Or is the code locked away?
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2009 08:10 Edited at: 4th Oct 2009 14:29
I'm willing to hand out source code up to a reasonable level, I mean I'm not going to hand out the entire program, since I don't really feel like getting a million copies of MY work with other peoples their name slapped on to it.(It happens, not a lot... But it happens.)

However depending on your request I'll see what I can and can not hand out. Besides, it's not like this is a complicated program, it's actually quite simple once you understand the basics. The 'hardest' part was getting scrolling maps to work because I had to render ONLY the on-screen tiles and yet get the scrolling to work, but that turned out to be a 5 minute solution as well.

So again, this isn't THAT hard to do... I just had to take the time to actually bring my theories to practice. And I'm willing to hand out *SOME* Source Code if requested.

EDIT: Do note that I included a loader example which pretty much shows how to load a simple map. It doesn't handle attributes and layers yet, but I'm working on that example in bits and pieces... Just want a nice shiny map to use it with (100*100 tiles takes a loooong time. :/)

EDIT2:

***V1.15b has been pushed out to the updater!***

This patch fixes the following issues or adds the following changes:
Removed the serial key system and many other obsolete code which was used in a previous update to delete useless files.
Fixed an issue where the Save/Load Dialogs would not always pick the right folder to display.
Toggling the grid now also toggles the Attribute display.
Increased the speed the editor runs on slower computers by modifying the way the background was rendered.
Decreased the editor's file size a little bit.

Note that users that download this program for the first time would need to delete some old files on their own, or wait until I finish making the new setup and have uploaded it.

EDP Map Editor[2D]
cram
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2009 00:04 Edited at: 11th Oct 2009 11:47
Nice
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2009 07:31
Quote: "I get a trojan message about this program "

Really? I checked it with both Ad-Aware and AVG and my PC ends up clean, so please post a screen shot of this 'trojan' or I'll disregard your post.

EDP Map Editor[2D]
cram
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2009 20:55 Edited at: 11th Oct 2009 11:46
Nice program
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2009 15:39
This is very odd, I'm going to remake the installer though, which no longer includes that file anyway. It's an old program that was used in 1.13 and below I think.

Also...
***Version 1.15c has been released!***
This release includes a bunch of mistakes and fixes I made during old updates which were added/pushed out in a rush without properly testing them, My apologies for the issues this caused, but I hope this will resolve most, if not all current issues.

Fixed a mistake caused by the removal of the Serial Key System, it no longer gets stuck in Trial Mode when saving maps.
Fixed an issue with saving maps loaded from a trial map file, it will no longer auto save it over the Trial File, it will now ask for a file name to save it as a REAL map.
Creating a new map or loading one will now reset the currently used layer, instead of sticking to the one you edited before.
Fixed an issue which would crash the editor when loading a map after you've loaded a Trial map.

You can obtain it from the updater as always, OR for a fresh installation you can download from Here

EDP Map Editor[2D]
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2009 03:07
@Cram
WHOA.

@else
.................well, from the screenshot at least, This looks Nifty.......er....scratch that one.....Good! Cool Silv, I'd download it but cram scared me with that......

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2009 07:33 Edited at: 9th Oct 2009 08:01
I've removed the 'infected' file and scanned it again three times with both AVG and Ad-Aware, no reports from any harmful files. I think there's something else on his PC secretly infecting stuff somehow.

It would be appreciated if he'd take those things down though, it scares people off while I can't find anything wrong with the files at all. UNLESS someone can confirm his infection, then I'll see what I can do about it again. But yeah, the infected file is no longer included with the software since it was obsolete.

EDP Map Editor[2D]
cram
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2009 03:28
Quote: "I've removed the 'infected' file and scanned it again three times with both AVG and Ad-Aware, no reports from any harmful files. I think there's something else on his PC secretly infecting stuff somehow.

It would be appreciated if he'd take those things down though, it scares people off while I can't find anything wrong with the files at all. UNLESS someone can confirm his infection, then I'll see what I can do about it again. But yeah, the infected file is no longer included with the software since it was obsolete.
"

I remove the old software and installed the new on.
I scanned back whit Malewarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and Iobit Security 360 http://www.iobit.com/security360.html ,and they make no further mention.
But if I install the old software I got the trojan message
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2009 09:26
Quote: "I remove the old software and installed the new on.
I scanned back whit Malewarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and Iobit Security 360 http://www.iobit.com/security360.html ,and they make no further mention.
But if I install the old software I got the trojan message "

This is odd, it might however count the Tile Converter.exe as a trojan because it copies files from the exe to different locations on run-time, and deletes them after wards(The tiles that are being converted before they're set to the proper file format)

Anyway, I'm glad that the latest release does NOT include any warning from anti-viruses, and it would be much appreciated if you would take down the warnings now, since there is no longer any threat in the file(s). It scares people off.

EDP Map Editor[2D]
leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2009 07:44
@ silvester

u still working on this
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2009 13:59 Edited at: 25th Nov 2009 19:50
As a matter of fact yes, I still have the source code... And am currently making a version for DarkGDK.Net.

Speaking of which, here's how the DGDK.Net version looks at this very moment:

It's far from done though, and still needs a lot of improvements... But I've got Undo to work, and basic map editing so far.

AND I'm having a little issue with opening files in DarkGDK right now, so I can't really continue working on this until someone helps me out... More details can be found over Here

EDIT: Right, I've got map saving to work... but it's painfully slow(~3 seconds) and writes an ini file instead of a compact encrypted file... Oh well, it'll do until I can get DarkGDK to open files.

Here's how it saves maps at the moment:

EDP Map Editor[2D]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2009 17:26
Well, I've just finished *MOST* of the editor, Only need to iron out a few minor issues and add scrolling maps... Other then that it's pretty much finished! If you're interested in how it works please download This File and tell me how it runs/feels!

NOTE : I've disabled the save feature, added an example map the the resolution this program was built to run on is 1280*1024, any lower might display some parts of the window outside the screen.

EDP Map Editor[2D]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 03:40:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 03:40:36