Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Landscape & Map Creator

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2009 03:45 Edited at: 1st Jun 2010 22:16
Landscape & Map Creator is, as it's name suggests, a program that allows you to create and modify lanscapes and to create worlds - either by creating simple primitives and using tools on them to make more complex objects or by importing objects created in other modeling software. Created world can be saved as .dbo object so you can load them in dark basic using one command and since the Landscape & Map Creator is created in dark basic the level will look completely the same as it does in L&M Creator.

Features

Objects:
--------
create: box, sphere, cylinder, plane, teapot, torus, pyramid (for every object you can also modify the number of subdivisions)
delete - one object or more at once
select - one by clicking on it or more using selection box
rename
choose color
move
rotate - rotation on each global axis
scale - scaling on each global or local axis
mirror and flip - mirroring and flipping on each global axis
import from: Dark Basic Object (.dbo), 3D Studio (.3ds), Direct X (.x), Alias Wavefront Object (.obj), Newton Rigid Body (.rbd)
export to: Dark Basic Object (.dbo), Direct X (.x), Alias Wavefront Object (.obj), Newton Rigid Body (.rbd)
copy
apply texture
change texture scale and scroll
reduce polys
toggle culling or transparency on and off
rename limbs
link to other objects to create parent-child hieararchy
group with other objects
You can have up to 3000 objects in one scene

Vertices:
---------
select - one or more using selection box
create - by clicking anywhere on the screen
delete
move
rotate - on global axis
scale - on global axis
weld - selected vertices or all
fuse - selected vertices
break - selected vertices

Edges:
------
move
rotate
move - on global axis
rotate - on global axis
scale - on global axis
delete
collapse - selected edges
extrude

Polygons:
---------
create
delete
move - on global axis
rotate - on global axis
scale - on global axis
attach
detach
copy
extrude

Limbs:
------
select - one or more
move
rotate - on global axis
scale - on global axis
attach
detach
delete
copy
texture
reduce polys

Terrains:
---------
create
delete
move
modify: available tools - Hill, Raise/Lower, Smooth/Smooth all, Paint
import heightmap or texture
export heightmap or texture
all modifications are made using brushes which are easily made in a program like paint

Lights:
-------
create - point, spot and directional lights
change radius, color, falloff

Segments:
---------
create - floor, wall, wall chain, stairs (at the moment only straight stair can be made), ceiling

Texture Browser:
----------------
This is a window where all the textures, which are loaded at startup of the program from a folder called "textures", are listed as small thumbnails
if you change one of the textures after you already started the program you can reload particular texture or you can reload them all. When you do that all

object in the scene that have that texture will be refreshed to show all the changes you made to textures
When texturing object or limbs you can choose the quality of the texture - 3 levels are available: high, normal and low
When you choose low then all textures are loaded in resolution of 64x64 pixels thus consuming very small amount of memory

Entity Browser:
---------------
this is a window where all the objects found inside "entity" folder are found and listed as small thumbnail images
every entity can be chosen and then placed in the scene

Lightmap calculation:
---------------------
When your world is created and all light are placed you can calculate lightmaps
Before you run lightmaps calculationg process you can set the name for the lightmaps, choose image format, resolution and quality and toggle blur on and off

Layers:
-------
you can create layers and place objects in them
Every layer then can be shown or hidden, excluded from lightmap process or from export

Other Tools:
------------
CSG - union, difference, intersection
UV Editor - used to manualy change uv coordinates on the object
UV Mapping tools - Planar, cylinder and sphere projection

Import formats:
Dark Basic (DBO)
DirectX (X)
Wavefront (OBJ)
3D Studio (3DS)

Export formats:
Dark Basic (DBO)
DirectX (X)
Wavefront (OBJ)

Here are a few screenshots, tell me what you think

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2009 03:46 Edited at: 21st May 2010 09:55
Face edit mode:

"After you finish the first 90% of a project, you have to finish the other 90%." - Michael Abrash
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2009 03:47 Edited at: 21st May 2010 10:20
reserved for future use

"After you finish the first 90% of a project, you have to finish the other 90%." - Michael Abrash
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2009 03:48 Edited at: 21st May 2010 09:57
Vertex edit mode:

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2009 03:48 Edited at: 21st May 2010 09:16
Terrain edit mode:

Terrain simplification:

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2009 03:49 Edited at: 21st May 2010 09:37
Material browser and object properties window:

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2009 03:50 Edited at: 21st May 2010 10:22
Reserved for future use

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2009 03:57
WW! I'm impressed! I can tell that a lot of work has gone into this. It looks like it's a pretty advanced piece of software you've created. Nice work!

Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2009 04:09
looks like a commercial application, quite nice

FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2009 04:28
Wow, Im impressed. Looks really good mate =]

How is it going
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2009 06:29
have... no... words...
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 16th Oct 2009 18:55
Looks awesome,will have to try it once its done.

[href]http://sites.google.com/site/chargedstudios/home[href]
"Im British you muppet!"-Psycho
Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks amazing.

Please, though, include the ability to export to a script, containing information about the position/rotation/etc of each object! That way you give users the flexibility to write their own engine to display the world rather than restricting them to making the world a single object.

Unrelated matter: how do you do such nice-looking text? Even using Cloggy's dll to make anti-aliased text, I cannot get DBPro to display nice-looking, smooth text in a relatively small font size, of the kind you see in most Windows applications.
Dreamsenshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2009 21:21
As others have already said: impressive! And, way to go with easy-to-understand tabs and all of that; in the screen shots, it's easy to tell exactly what's going on, which isn't always true for these kinds of applications. How long did it take you to make all of that?

Your error is my treasure. =^--^=
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2009 22:43
Quote: "Please, though, include the ability to export to a script, containing information about the position/rotation/etc of each object! That way you give users the flexibility to write their own engine to display the world rather than restricting them to making the world a single object.

Unrelated matter: how do you do such nice-looking text? Even using Cloggy's dll to make anti-aliased text, I cannot get DBPro to display nice-looking, smooth text in a relatively small font size, of the kind you see in most Windows applications."

I forgot to mention in the first post but that export is already possible.

About the second question: if you mean the text on windows and buttons i use my own gui plugin. If you mean the text on viewports (four panes where all 3d is being rendered) i use standard dbpro text command.

God is real unless declared integer.
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2009 22:46
Quote: "As others have already said: impressive! And, way to go with easy-to-understand tabs and all of that; in the screen shots, it's easy to tell exactly what's going on, which isn't always true for these kinds of applications. How long did it take you to make all of that?"

It took me 3 years, but after the first year i had some trouble with my hard drive so i lost all my data and i had to start all over again.

Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I forgot to mention in the first post but that export is already possible."

Then that's fantastic. This looks the best all-round world designer I've seen so far, at least for someone who wants that level of flexibility. It looks like it's at an advanced stage of development - how far along with the project are you?

Quote: "About the second question: if you mean the text on windows and buttons i use my own gui plugin. If you mean the text on viewports (four panes where all 3d is being rendered) i use standard dbpro text command."

Yes, I mean the windows/buttons text. It looks very professional. Is that a plugin you've made available anywhere? I ask because I'm working on a text-only game and I would very much like to give it a professional and attractive look like the text in a normal modern application, but I can't find a way to get decent-looking text at a normal size with DBPro.
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2009 23:32
Quote: "Then that's fantastic. This looks the best all-round world designer I've seen so far, at least for someone who wants that level of flexibility. It looks like it's at an advanced stage of development - how far along with the project are you?"

I hope it will be finished by the end of december.

Quote: "Yes, I mean the windows/buttons text. It looks very professional. Is that a plugin you've made available anywhere? I ask because I'm working on a text-only game and I would very much like to give it a professional and attractive look like the text in a normal modern application, but I can't find a way to get decent-looking text at a normal size with DBPro."

No, I didn't made it available yet, but I plan to and it will be free. I want to write a couple of examples first but can't find the time do do that - that's the main reason why it's still unreleased. I started working on it at the same time as Aaron Miller started working on his and it is based on his free gui plugin.

Dreamsenshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2009 00:20
Quote: "It took me 3 years, but after the first year i had some trouble with my hard drive so i lost all my data and i had to start all over again."

=^00^= YIKES! A reminder that I should make another backup of stuff on my computer soon . . . * shudder * Saw a hard drive catch on fire once, too (wasn't mine, but still was very sad). It stinks to lose hard work, so I definitely feel for you, even though you obviously recovered.

Bravo for keeping up with it! I can certainly believe you put that much work into it.

Quote: "I hope it will be finished by the end of december."

Yeah!! Do it!!

Quote: "No, I didn't made it available yet, but I plan to and it will be free. "

Hooray!

Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
What he said. ^
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2009 16:26
I know what's it's like to lose everything. I was lucky though I managed to get my docs back and I had a backup of most of my internet downloads (No not pron ). And now over a year later I find that I had a backup of all my DBP work!

But I still make regular backups.

Dreamsenshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2009 18:41
Quote: "What he said. ^"

She, actually. (dun dun DUN )

Quote: "But I still make regular backups."

My father used to have a closet and a set of drawers full of backups of everything. I thought it was a little much, but back when you could only put things on floppies or cassettes . . . It's much easier to save data these days.

Anyway, to get back on topic! Can't wait to see more, Brendy Boy!

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 00:19
Quote: "She, actually."

On topic, looks really great, good work Brendy!

Thebeely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 00:42
Looking really nice. Do you have any examples of more complex scenes?

Anyway, nice to see someone from Croatia
Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "She, actually. (dun dun DUN )"

That's funny - after posting it I thought, "That was a rash assumption, maybe they're a she" - then I thought, "Probably not," then I thought, "It's a bit miserable being on a forum where you have a practically moral certainty that any given poster will be male." So thanks for proving me wrong!

Returning to the topic, both the world designer and the GUI plugin that was mentioned look great, so do keep us updated on their progress.
Zipir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 14:59
Hey its like 3d max so can we made 3d models with this tool ? and maybe bone animation support

wonderful tool ++++++++
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 23:21
Quote: "Hey its like 3d max so can we made 3d models with this tool ? and maybe bone animation support

wonderful tool ++++++++"

Yes, you can make 3d models with it. Bone animation support will not be available in the first release.

Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
This is a bump to find out how things are going with this. How are things going with this?
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2009 18:31
Well, i made some changes to the interface but i can't post screen shots because i don't have the newest version on this computer (the newest version is on another computer which broke yesterday)

I also added the possibility for adding additional properties to objects such as mass and fixed a few bugs.

Last weekend I also found some time to write a few examples for my gui plugin and since this computer which I'm currently working on is to slow to handle Landscape& Map Creator I will have some more time to write some more examples while my other computer is getting fixed.

Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
Good to hear work continues on these things - bad to hear about the computer problems. I hope it gets fixed quickly and inexpensively!
Vues3d on Kalimee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2009 16:20
I think that a new comment telling that you work looks really amazing is quite obsolete.. but... WOW LOOKS AMAZING

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2009 23:56
Quote: "I think that a new comment telling that you work looks really amazing is quite obsolete.. but... WOW LOOKS AMAZING "

Thanks. And now that my computer is fixed i can resume my work on it. You can expect new screens next week or maybe even a video showing L&M Creator in action.

farmkid4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2009 19:22
cant wait to see it. i think i would have given up.
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2009 01:35 Edited at: 21st May 2010 10:24
Here is one screenshot before and after using simplification tool on terrain with 32768 polys

edit:
screenshot moved to the begining of the thread

Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
Impressive!
Zipir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2009 23:34
wooow cool optimization
lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2009 00:51
looks like this is a future option for me...
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2010 23:48
Just wanted to tell you that I'm still working on this, I added undo and redo possibility and made a few changes on the interface

programing dude
Years of Service
User Offline
AMAZING

this is really awsome. DEFINATLY commercial quiality.

GREAT WORK!!!!!!!!
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2010 22:26
Nice
epithika
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2010 14:47
looks good. I spent ages tryna make something like this

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 5th Feb 2010 19:50
Quite impressive, Brendy boy!!! Very professional!! You're on the right track!! Keep it up!!

Cheers

Slayer rules!!! Yeaaah, man!
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2010 23:00
This is just a bump so this thread doesn't get locked. I will update the first post in a couple of weeks with the new details

Dragon Tiger Wolf Bald Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Please Let me know when its ready to go. I am anxious to try it.

The quality of what a man gives without seeking anything in return shows his integrity.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 22:39:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 22:39:46