Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Code Snippets / [DBP] Particle Smoke Stack Effect (Minimalist Alpha-transparent and Independant)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2010 15:28
Hi all, made this example for someone yesterday, and I think the way it works might be useful to some people, looking for a way to do self-contained particle effects. Often there's a lot of work and data management involved in a full particle system - however if you are using a set range of particles to perform a specific effect, then it get's easier, and you can cut corners.

This technique uses a function to update, which specifies the start object number and number of objects to use, then the basic 3D parameters, the speed of the particles and the height of the smoke stack. The particles themselves have no assigned data, no arrays, just their position in space in relation to the spawn location - it's all a smoke stack seems to need. These particles are affected by wind too. In the demo there are 4 chimneys billowing smoke, and 1 chimney revolving like a choochoo train around them, to show the effect can be assigned to a moving location quite easily.

Anyhoo, people who want smoke coming from their chimney, steam train, car exhaust etc - but don't want the burdon of a full particle engine, well try her out...

Get it here:
https://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/1936108
I'd provide a screenshot, but am at work without DBPro right now, so if anyone feels like - please post a screenie.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2010 09:59 Edited at: 7th Jan 2010 09:59

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 15:51
Cool. I'm going to see if I can't integrate it into the FPSC source code. Thanks Steve for the link in the February newsletter.

-----------------------------------------------
OliveTreeGames

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-17 00:45:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-17 00:45:26