Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Which [Short-Game]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 05:03

A short game where you look for a way to open the door out of the small house.

Please be aware that the game contains violence, blood, and slight gore.

The game requires 'Pixel Shader 2.0' to play.

Download Link: http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/adventure/which/1523/

Screenshots:
Low-Graphics

High-Graphics

Stereoscopic 3D (Only available in Red/Cyan format)

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LqeKYstURk

Controls:
WASD/Directional keys = Move
Mouse = Look
Left Mouse Button = Interact
Right Mouse Button = Crouch
Esc = Exit

Plugins Used:
DBP Collision DLL (2.05b)
Enhanced Animations (1.5)
EZRotate Enhanced
DArk AI
Dark Shader

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 06:24
Am I missing something? All I've found is the key to an empty room with writing on the wall, and another key that I lost down the bathroom drain...

I will live forever or die trying.
anime_luver29
Years of Service
User Offline
@Venge Keep checking room 1 upstairs. Its not impossible. C:
marlou
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice special effects Mike. Parang tortured soul ang vision nya.

Makalaro nga. Hehe.

When a person has nothing but a dream, can he dare to dream.
ShaunRW
DBPro Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 08:15 Edited at: 1st Feb 2010 08:40
I'm up to the same as Venge. I suppose you have to get the key out of the drain, but how...

EDIT:
Ah got it. You done a terrific job Mike, very very creepy.

zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 09:16 Edited at: 1st Feb 2010 09:40
Extremely creepy! First time I collided with that body scared the socks out of me! Good work Mike, better said, terrific good work! Looking forward to more minigames.
Are there by chance 2 endings?
Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 14:31 Edited at: 1st Feb 2010 15:04
Ah. Gotcha.

The headless body reminded me of that episode of Doctor Who, with the killer creatures that turned to stone if someone could see them. So as long as you never looked away, you were safe. Then if you look away for a second and turn back they'd be RIGHT THERE with their claws right about to slice you open, frozen in stone again.

Very good job, I wonder now if I should have run once she started looking at the pictures on the walls.

EDIT: Aha! Found the heart key this time around. Still creepy ending though.

jeffhuys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 17:42
Wow.
This was epic. Very, VERY good job!
Yeah, I'm gonna play again, finding the heart for her...

You're the 'th to view this signature!
Chicknstu
Years of Service
User Offline
This is absolutely brilliant. I'm completely stuck though! Is there a walkthrough somewhere?

Without wanting to spoiler... I've gone into the second room, had the cack scared ut of me, now I'm wanderig around aimlessly.

Brilliant stuff though!

www.Retrodev.co.uk
Grunge Game Developers
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 20:14 Edited at: 1st Feb 2010 20:14
Quote: "A short game"

And are getting noticed in swedish gaming press

http://loading.se/blogg.php?user_id=12&blogg_id=18037
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 21:30
Nice work, Mike!! Excellent visual effects and a very good creepy ending! And the puzzles where nicely hidden aswell! Overal a very good job, there!

Cheers

Slayer rules!!! Yeaaah, man!
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 21:47 Edited at: 1st Feb 2010 23:24
Very creepy fun game. I've gotten one ending, must try for the other one.

Edit: Found the last 'object' but have no idea what to do next, can't pick it up or make the person follow me there. Maybe I'm missing something...

dxdragon86
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 23:46
Great Game,Dude!

ShaunRW
DBPro Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2010 00:09
Quote: " Found the last 'object' but have no idea what to do next, can't pick it up or make the person follow me there. Maybe I'm missing something..."

I think you can only give it one or the other.

Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome. Just awesome!

End #1: The cake is a lie!
Is there a 2nd end?
zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2010 00:48
^Yep, there are 2 endings!
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2010 00:58
@marlou: Thanks!
@ShaunRW: I'm glad you're able to find your way. Thank you!
@zapakitul: Yes, there are 2 endings in the game.
@Venge: It's kinda similar to an enemy from Mario. I think its a ghost, where they only move when you're not looking at them... I don't know 'Doctor Who' though, I guess I should try checking it out...
@jeffhuys: Thank you!
@Chicknstu: I was hoping to make one, but it's hard to make a walkthrough without having it a spoiler... And besides, it's just a short game...
@Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS: Wow, thanks for the link!
@The Slayer: Thanks!
@Josh Mooney: Maybe she already went to the door. Sad to say, she can't have both parts...
@dxdragon86: Thanks!

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2010 06:31
Found the episode I was thinking of -- http://www.doctorwho-episodes.com/doctor-who-series-3-episode-10-blink/98.html

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2010 14:43 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2010 14:45
Alright, grabbed the final key and gave her the final object, even creepier ending. Great work. Your FX are very good, the screen effects really give it that skin crawling feeling. Other horror games can learn from yours...seriously, I've played some horrible commercial
horror games that are not even half as creepy as yours.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2010 15:45
I ran it... and the camera wouldn't stop spinning to the left. I tried every version; 3D, Hi and Lo, and they all result in the same thing. I can move around, but its near-impossible to get to where I want with the camera constantly spinning to the left. If I move the mouse, the camera does rotate with it, but still has this invisible force pushing it to the left, so in order to look right I have to move the mouse really fast to the right, and the second I stop it begins spinning back to the left.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
The game is great, but on my computer is really slow. I didn't try the low version however, but the full colour version should be fast.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2010 18:32
@RUCCUS
Make sure (if you have one) that your joystick/other input device is not leaning to the left. I've had that exact same thing happen before with that cause (My joystick only auto-centres when your hand is around it)

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2010 19:24
I was using my laptop, its just a touch-pad mouse. My fingers weren't on the pad and it was turning to the left. Im pretty sure my pad isn't broken as my mouse pointer doesn't drift to the left and I dont experience this issue in my own games.
Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2010 23:57
Wow! Best DB game I'v played by far! Really different and artistic! Reminds me of condemned a bit! I'd love to play in stereoscopic mode but don't have the glasses

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Wow! Best DB game I'v played by far! Really different and artistic! Reminds me of condemned a bit! I'd love to play in stereoscopic mode but don't have the glasses "

Is that what the 3D meant? Doh.. I thought it was meant to look like that!

marlou
Years of Service
User Offline
good game!

When a person has nothing but a dream, can he dare to dream.
French gui
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2010 13:03
My English isn't good enough to describe the feelings I had while playing this game, but even in French I can't find words strong enough! So, this is the best DBasic game I've ever played , but also just one of the best game at all. No matter if it's short, I will remember these 10 minutes of play for a long time thanks Mike for this...
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2010 16:18
cool, at last, finished it xD very nice graphics

the super24
Years of Service
User Offline
nice work there, but when I first played it I felt extremely freaked out. It made me not want to play it any more.

Extremely nice graphics and effects, great job!!!
Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2010 23:33
This is amazing. Very scary. Got one ending.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 16:34
Well, that was kinda random and I still don't see what was stopping me just opening any one of the many windows and jumping outside.

But still, I'll give a full list of things I like and things I didn't.
Starting with the things I didn't because other forum users will thing I'm flaming if I do that last xD:
* I didn't like the fact it was all in black and white
* I didn't like the changing light levels
* I didn't like the randomness of the whole thing - it didn't seem to make much sense, yet there were other areas like having to get the key out the sink that made perfect sense.
* I nearly closed the game straight away when I realised how horrible the mouse movement felt.
* I didn't like where the key to the second room was hidden, I felt that was a bit cheap, especially as bloom isn't even a real effect - and the key would be a different colour to the light coming through the window.
* I didn't like the fact that the girl somehow managed to get a knife from somewhere. - I'd have made it so she finds it in that room, but if you take it first, she can't get it and there is a different ending.

And the things I did like:
* I liked the random heartbeat over by the sink area (but felt it would have worked better for tension somewhere else)
* I liked how nicely presented it all was, with things you can use highlighting and all the icons for the keys glowing
* I liked the fact I got stuck quite often, but then managed to figure out what to do next without too much angst.
* I liked how creepy the random headless&heartless girl was, the way she creeps up and stands right behind you.

All in all, I preferred the last game you made, with the different coloured mazes made of smooth shiny rectangles. But still, if this is made to be art and is at least playable, you shouldn't care too much about the ups and downs.

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 17:01
@c0wbox: I think she is carrying the knife the entire time, and the random heartbeat by the sink is because the room with her heart is behind there. Apparently you haven't found the heart ending?

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 17:03
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh that explains it, I thought it was just a random heart beat to freak you out xD

Either way, I used the logic I thought would work to get the door to the heart room to open (use the same key as the head room) but it still didn't open...

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 17:13
There's a separate key for the heart room. Look around room 3 some more.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 18:28 Edited at: 4th Feb 2010 19:05
Is it possible to make the window full screen? All I have is a smallish square in the middle, and I think the 3D would look a lot better full screen.

Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 19:41
Yeah got the other ending That was an amazing game, I want to be longer but the effect of it may not work if it was longer.
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 5th Feb 2010 04:39
Why, why why, would you scare me this bad? ITS WRONG!

Great job

I cant finish it- not at night

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2010 08:33
Mike Inel... This is amazing! I just love your short games, keep it up!

But why cancel "who"? I really wanted to see what would turn out with it...

Also, how did you position the cameras to achieve that 3D image? Did you cross them at certain focal points, or keep them looking ahead parallel to each other?

TheComet

Make the paths of your enemies easier with WaypointPro!
Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Scrap Mechanic
Posted: 12th Feb 2010 19:41
I have only a small problem with the 3d version: The images are wayyy too far apart.

However, I can just use the iz3d anaglyph driver to convert any direct3d game to 3d, then adjust separation and convergence ingame.

Although, it is really cool to code your own 3d into your game...I did that with my game temporarily, then discovered I really needed ingame adjustment controls.

Still, this game is awesome, I like the little scares and the different endings, great job, Mike!

Phenom - MP FPS WIP - With bot support, even online!
Official Website -> http://xeridox.com
Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
Could you make a Full Screen Version? Thanks
shaman4d
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool minimalistic and looks-good-game! But fullscreen will be very usefull.

Could you please give the short (or full ) description what you use for develop this game?
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2010 13:23 Edited at: 19th Feb 2010 13:40
I've edited the game to fullscreen by popular demand.

@RUCCUS: I programmed it to put the cursor in the middle of the screen after it gets the mouse movement... The reason I did this is because it causes trouble everytime the cursor gets out of the window...

@Conor B: Honestly, I started making the game when I finished Condemned 2...

@TheComet: Development-wise, "Who" became too hard to work on. It's not entirely cancelled, i'm just delaying it... A lot... (I'm not sure when to continue, lol)

@Xeridox: Looks okay to me imo... I've never heard of iz3d, thanks for the info!

@shaman4d: I basically used DarkBASIC Professional? Honestly, i'm not sure what you mean... Well, if it helps, it took me 24 days to finish it, used 3dsmax 8, Photoshop CS3, DarkShader, and Audacity to make the assets, and I used an iPod touch to record the sounds. (with a Philips earphones+mic)

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!!

Man that was awesome!

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2010 01:54 Edited at: 20th Feb 2010 01:55
@ Mike Inel

Like usual, I give any awesome game I find to my friend, and he seems to be having the following problem. The hints and writing and glowing stuff that should start to illuminate when you get close is exactly the wrong way around. When he gets close to the wall with the arrows for example, the image of the arrows disappears, and if he swings the camera back and forth quickly, he can get a quick glance of it.

I'm not entirely sure what graphics card he has, it's in the nVidia series though. 64-bit quad core 3.66 GHz processor and 8GB RAM.

Anyway, I finished both endings in your game, and WOW did it take a long time to find that spanner! I almost quit because it was getting dark outside and that stupid girl just freaked me out.

I think that she stabs you (or herself) for too long, considering not all computers have the hardware to run this game at a reasonable speed. But I watched it anyway!

As soon as you give her the head, you are pretty much screwed, right? There's no way to give her the heart too so we can get married?

Awesome game, love your work, keep it up!

TheComet

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2010 19:16 Edited at: 21st Feb 2010 19:19
Quote: "Like usual, I give any awesome game I find to my friend, and he seems to be having the following problem. The hints and writing and glowing stuff that should start to illuminate when you get close is exactly the wrong way around. When he gets close to the wall with the arrows for example, the image of the arrows disappears, and if he swings the camera back and forth quickly, he can get a quick glance of it."

I had that exact same problem :/

AMD Athlon 5000 Dual Core 2.21GHz processor, with 1.75GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 7025 on-board graphics card.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2010 00:56
Ouch! That's the last time I help a headless woman!!!

You should rename this "WTF!"...

That was the BEST DBP game I've ever played.... bar none...

I'd like to try for the alternate ending but I'm too scared right now... and I'm far too old to be scared by a computer game, you would think!!

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2010 11:53
Wow that's all I can say. Adds extra horror elements when viewed in 3D but that feature was awesome. I can tell you like stabbings. The endings were both fantastic, though I didn't understand some of your equations on the wall (Could have been because they were doubling up)

Very impressed, I think that an eerie menu with some soft music (as in horror soft) would have polished it off nicely, but it doesn't detract at all from the game!

Also for some weird reason High and Low modes don't work on Windows 7 64bit! But the 3D version does...?

Can't wait for another game now Mike!

Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2010 04:56 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2010 04:58
Mike, I have played your games and looked at your art, albeit some are a tad inappropriate, you truly are an inspiration. Your artwork looks amazing, your games, hm, lack of words to describe. Keep it up!

Also, the best looking game I have ever seen with very few textures. That is not an easy feat.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2010 22:25
Yessss, this is now officially a HOT thread!

Sorry for this useless post... Here, I'll make it un-useless:

I made a commercial-looking CD out of your game and put it into a commercial-looking CD box and spread it around at a school. (Of course for free )

It has been circling around from person to person... ...And no one knows where it came from...

I have heard that most of the people there haven't talked about anything else than WHICH for days...

TheComet

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2010 13:40
@Red Eye: Lol, thanks!

@TheComet & Diggsey: Hmm... This is probably on the HLSL part. I'm not entirely sure how to fix it without changing the visuals, sorry.

@baxslash: Lol, it's not that scary once you get used to it

@Darth Vader: I'm not really good at music, so I used sound effects as its main audio. (I wanted to make the game alone though, so I didn't look for some music from others)

@Maindric: Thank you.

@TheComet(again): Wow, thanks! I never expected anyone will do that for my game.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 00:21:57
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 00:21:57