Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] RPG Mod Official Thread

Author
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 02:50 Edited at: 5th Jan 2011 15:35
Effective 05-Jan-2011, RPG Mod has now gone to a private in-house mod and will no longer be distributed.

- BlackFox

RPG Mod- Create a world full of adventure
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 03:10
I'm very excited about this new release. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to make sure it doesn't get 'bloated'.

I'm sure you will be getting plenty of emails from me requesting help with the new features

Your signature has been [mod edited] :-p
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 04:00
Thank you Thraxas. We appreciate the support on this mod. As far as e-mails, I'm all set for you I've integrated 4 games in development with RPG mod, so I have the installation/setup memorized and could do support in my sleep.

Cheers

Mike

MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 05:25
I wish to receive a link for the download, but I have hotmail, rather than yahoo or gmail. Can you send to: williams_1610@hotmail.com please.

mk83 Productions
BlueFox
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I wish to receive a link for the download, but I have hotmail, rather than yahoo or gmail. Can you send to: williams_1610@hotmail.com please"

Unfortunately we are not processing requests for the download in this thread. Please follow the link in the initial thread posted by Blackfox. 'RPG Mod Home page'. There is a hotmail address available on the page that hotmail account users can email.

Cathy

MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 06:13
Sorry, I didn't see it before.

mk83 Productions
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 06:56
This looks great, and it's something I've been trying to figure if FPSC could do. Will send an email.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 07:00
I'd love to make some graphics for RPG Mod, and FPS-Media for that matter, if that's okay with you, BlackFox, BlueFox and Flatlander. I'm trying to expand my portfolio of logos and such, and would love to do the RPG Mod logo, just like I did the Project Blue logo.

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 07:16
Quote: "This looks great, and it's something I've been trying to figure if FPSC could do. Will send an email."

Look forward to your e-mail

Quote: "I'd love to make some graphics for RPG Mod, and FPS-Media for that matter, if that's okay with you, BlackFox, BlueFox and Flatlander. I'm trying to expand my portfolio of logos and such, and would love to do the RPG Mod logo, just like I did the Project Blue logo."

Thanks for the offer Gunn3r. At the moment we're not looking to change our logos just yet. However, I will talk with the others to get their feedback and e-mail you.

Cheers

Mike

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 07:22
Quote: "Thanks for the offer Gunn3r. At the moment we're not looking to change our logos just yet. However, I will talk with the others to get their feedback and e-mail you."

Sounds good! And you obviously don't have to change logos. It's something I'd like to do just to get some practice under my belt. If you use it, great. If not, it's one more thing I can add to my portfolio still, so I'd be alright either way.

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 12:52
Sounds good

[b]FPSC MIGRATION: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142497&b=21
MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 17:06
What version of FPSC does this mod work with best?

mk83 Productions
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 17:08
Quote: "What version of FPSC does this mod work with best?"

It works best with v1.16 of FPSC.

Cheers

Mike

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 06:12 Edited at: 17th Apr 2010 20:44
Update: 7-Apr-2010

Release: RPG_Mod_v2.10

The following is a list of additions being worked on for this release.

* rpg_missioncomplete=(1 or 0) - if set to one (1) then this will immediately end the level.
o Be aware that the value of rpg_missioncomplete is saved before leaving the level. If the value is not reset to zero (0) then all subsequent levels will be immediately completed. To prevent this from taking placing be sure and have this action command set to zero at the beginning of the next level of play.

* rpg_uselastweaponheld=(boolean 0 or 1)
o If set to 1 then when going to a new level the weapon that was last held will be used. Otherwise, it will use the weapon in the first slot.

* rpg_changeplayerhealthmax=
o When used this will change the maximum health the player can have.

* rpg_changeplayerlives=
o When used this will change the number of maximum lives for the player.

* rpg_entityisimmobile=
o When an entity's isimmobile parameter is originally set to "no", there could be a reason to actually not allow it to be mobile for a time. Setting this to one will make it immobile and then when you want it to be mobile once again then set it to zero.

* There is now more control over the Quiz System text styles and positioning for the each of the elements of the quiz. The title, question, answer, and the mouse prompt. However, there is no background hud for a quiz.

* In the first release of v2, and even back in v1, the Informational Documents had very limited text style control. For example, the name/title of the document was always centereed on the top and the "Press <ENTER> to Continue" was located at the bottom center of the screen. RPG mod will now have almost total control over text styles for the Informational Documents displayed on the screen. The following shows two different Informational Document text files being displayed in different methods:

We are now able to control with RPG Mod:

- hud background
- document name
- the continue prompt
- document text style

- BlackFox

MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 07:05
Awesome

mk83 Productions
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2010 20:45
Just to bump this thread and let the RPG mod users know that we are very close to finishing the update for RPG mod. Final testing is happening this weekend.

- BlackFox

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
i might send an email for it soon
im liking those scripts

"Feel free in a world of madness,be the bright spot"
-Bloody James
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2010 22:09 Edited at: 17th Apr 2010 22:11
I think I will highlight some of the commands in this thread. The first commands are for weapons.

Now, granted RPG Mod does not use airmods weapons enhancements, however, I think most serious RPG developers would consider that as a lower priority for their game. However, that said, the first three commands dealing with weapons are from airmod. The rest are mine. I consider certain commands as being useful for a RPG. The command names should be enough description for what they do.

* rpg_removeplayerweapons (No parameter. Drop all weapons) – from airmod

* rpg_holsterplayerweapon (No parameter. Hide current weapon) – from airmod

* rpg_drawplayerweapon (No parameter. Show last weapon held) - from airmod

* rpg_dropcurrentweapon(no parameter) – drops/loses current weapon

* rpg_setweaponsellamount=(sellcost amount) – sets the amount weapon will be sold when using the rpg_sellweapon command

* rpg_sellweapon(no parameters) – current weapon only

* rpg_damagecurrentweapon(no parameters) – damage current held weapon

* rpg_repaircurrentweapon(no parameters) – repair current held weapon

rpg_uselastweaponheld=(boolean 0 or 1) – If set to 1 then when going to a new level the weapon that was last held will be used. Otherwise, it will use the weapon in the first slot.

rpg_displayweaponsinventory(no parameters) – Can only be used when using the weapons inventory which is a part of the Inventory System (IS).

• While displaying the weapons the player can change weapons at that time by pressing the slot number for that weapon. 1-9. Choosing the same weapon will not do any harm and the player will retain that weapon. This is useful for quests when the player wants to choose a particular weapon that would be needed for that quest. You would then want to use rpg_uselastweaponheld=1 before going into the quest (if it is in a different level).

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2010 01:23
Really looking forward to the new release. Keep up the good work guys.

Your signature has been [mod edited] :-p
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2010 00:55 Edited at: 20th Apr 2010 00:57
One of the features that kind of excited my Grandson was the Health Reserve System. He's only 6 but he understood the concept when he was playing Demo 3. In other words he knew when to use it.

First here is an image showing the health reserve numeric hud.

The health reserve system is just that. A reserve in case you need some health right away without trying to find a health item. You cannot go above your health max. However, if you do try, not only will you NOT create more health but you will lose the health reserve you requested.

In the example image. The health max is 150. We are showing 87. Now, if you request 150 out of your reserve, you will only go to the 150 max and lose all of your reserve. However, if you request 60 from your reserve, you will then have 147 for health and you will have 3 health units left in your reserve.

I am just highlighting this feature. It does not explain how to set it up and use it, but it is quite easy to do.

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
This is a nice little mod and hope it does well.

Liking the new feature's maybe I will have a use for it someday if I ever make a RPG.

Keep up the good work

Best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu fpsc packer its free.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2010 01:56
Thanks s4real. Really appreciate it coming from you. Actually this is not so little. Over 10,000 lines of code. Sometimes I get the impression that people are underrating the mod. Not that that's what you were doing by calling it "little." Little can be big. Like what one of the Little's said, I'm proud to be a Little and have a Little mind.

There is a lot to the mod. Of course it all has to do with RPG. And if you never get around to making an RPG, that's no big deal. Not everybody is into that genre.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2010 10:09 Edited at: 20th Apr 2010 10:23
Some more information about this mod.

It took me 11 months to code. This included debugging and testing. I spent almost everyday with this project. Anywhere from 4 to 15 hours a day. Granted, I'm slower than I used to be.

Number of commands.

Conditions: 54
Actions: 145

There are 71 pages of documentation and still growing as I am adding more examples and How To documentation.

Highlight: Inventory System

This is the system that allows you to track and use your inventory including.

* You have up to 7 categories of inventory items. There can be as many items as wanted in each category. Make sure one is cash of some sort. Cash is a special inventory item and in a way it is a system within a system. You can have only one category if so desired.
* You will define all of the possible inventory items that the player can pick up.
* The player must pick up these inventory items before he can use them. However, you have control of how this is done.
* The player can sell, trade, buy, use, drop an inventory item. He must first select the item to perform any of these tasks.
* The player can view the categories at the touch of a button. He can then select the category to view the inventory item.
* You can allow the player to buy an item that is not part of the defined inventory list.
* There are many conditions and actions that you can use to control your inventory system.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 05:54 Edited at: 21st Apr 2010 05:57
Let's continue with highlighting the inventory system.

As I mentioned before the player can sell, trade, buy, use or drop an inventory item. Let's look at trading inventory items.

There are three possible ways you can have the player trade items. Let’s look at them from a player’s perspective.

The first method. Say you have two items that can possibly be collected. A key and a map. You have the map but you really need the key. So, you check to see if the key can be gotten through a trade. You bring up the inventory list in the category where the key is and right click on the key you need. You are presented with information for this item. Looking down through this information you see that “Yes” is indicated for “You can trade item:” You press <ENTER> to return to the list of keys. Now you click the left mouse button which presents you with a numbered selection menu at the bottom of the screen. “Trade” will be one of the menu items. Press the number on the keyboard that is associated with “Trade.” This will bring up a list of possible inventory items that you already have. Since you have only one item, the map, in this example, it will be the only item displayed. However, if you have more items in your inventory, then they would be displayed as well. Point to the inventory item you desire to trade for the key (in this case the map) and press the right mouse button. The selection will disappear and you now have the key in your inventory but you do not have the map. Hopefully
you will not need the map later.

The second method is dropping an entity onto the map that will allow a trade. The entity must be dynamic and it can be anything. Of course, you would want it to seem plausible. You will need to name the entity the same name of the inventory item you want the player to take in trade. In this example the inventory item name is Key #1. You will need to give the entity placed on the map this name as well. Here’s how it works from the player’s perspective. Again, he has the map but needs the key. He is traversing the universe and comes upon a set of keys. When he approaches the keys, a list of inventory items will pop up on the screen. These items are those items he currently has. Of course, in this scenario, the only item will be the map. He would choose the map by clicking on that item using the right mouse button. The selection will disappear and you now have the key in your inventory and the map inventory will be decreased by one.

You will need to set rpg_setplayercantradeitem to one (1) for both the key and the map. DO NOT set rpg_setitemcanbetraded to one. If the command is use in connection with the items then be sure and set it to zero (0) for this scenario. Place the following script into the main AI of the entity Key #1:

:state=0,plrdistwithin=50:rpg_playertrade,state=1
:state=1,rpg_playercantakeitem:playertake
:state=1,plrdistfurther=50:state=0

The third and last method is trading with a character in the game. The trade will take place through scripting. Once the trade is completed then you would use the action command rpg_characterplayertrade with the two parameters that were placed into two two variables.

&myvar1 = a variable that contains the item player gives to character (map)
&myvar2 = a variable that contains the item player gets from character (key)

:state=0,plrdistwithin=50,rpg_hasinvitem=&myvar1:rpg_characterplayertrade=&myvar1 &myvar2,state=1
:state=0,plrdistwithin=50:state=1
:state=1,plrdistfurther=50:state=0

Notice the command rpg_hasinvitem=&myvar1. It checks to see if the player has the inventory item that is contained in the variable named myvar1 (map). You must have at least one item in inventory. This script will not hold a conversation with the character. It will simply trade items. Decreasing the player’s map item and increasing the player’s key item by one (1).

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 19:32 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2010 22:50
Update: RPG Mod v2.10

This is to let the RPG Mod users know that the next release (RPG Mod v2.10) is on it's final testing and will be released this weekend (24-Apr-2010). We will have the archives put together, placed in your download directory, and will send a notification e-mail once everything is ready for you to download.

The release contains new commands as outlined previously, plus allows more control over the informational documents and hud placements. There is a change to one of the RPG setup files (rpg_text_setup.fpi), but it is an easy change and will be outlined in the instructions on upgrading your RPG Mod version.

- BlackFox

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@F l a t l a n d e r :- Sorry I didn't mean little as its a little mod, I didn't know how big the mod was untill you said how many lines you added.

I see a lot of work gone into this mod and hope it does well for ya.

Best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu fpsc packer its free.
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2010 22:49
Update: RPG Mod v2.11

This is to let the RPG Mod users know that the next release (RPG Mod v2.10) had a last minute addition performed, and will now be v2.11. This version is on it's final testing and will be released this weekend (24-Apr-2010) per the previous schedule. We will have the archives put together, placed in your download directory, and will send a notification e-mail once everything is ready for you to download.

The release contains new commands as outlined previously, plus allows more control over the informational documents and hud placements. There is a change to one of the RPG setup files (rpg_text_setup.fpi), but it is an easy change and will be outlined in the instructions on upgrading your RPG Mod version.

This version update also gives the developer the ability to utilize an Xbox controller in an RPG game. The documentation contains the information on using the Xbox controller.

- BlackFox

teamhalo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2010 03:46
This is the future of fpscreator! I could see this being implemented into the migration.

Come Listen to my free music!
NEW EMAIL: tony.gaglio@yahoo.com
wrapscallion
Years of Service
User Offline
nice! just what I've been looking for! Can ya add me on e-mail? ( i know, noob....i'll tell my idea for a rpg to ya, if it means i can get a d/l)
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2010 19:05
RPG Mod v2.11 Release: 24-Apr-2010

This is to let the current RPG users know that RPG Mod v2.11 has been released as of 0900 PST. We have sent out an e-mail to the users and your download is available via your account.

Thank you for the continued support. If there are any issues, please feel free to contact me.

- BlackFox

MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2010 20:16
got it. Thanks

mk83 Productions
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2010 21:12
Quote: "got it. Thanks"

You are welcome. Enjoy

- BlackFox

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2010 23:21
Is there any way to do a promotion system? For instance, a player kills a certain amount of enemies or completes a difficult quest, he'd be promoted to a higher rank? It could display a 'You've been promoted to: Pvt.' message, for instance.

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2010 23:37
Quote: "Is there any way to do a promotion system? For instance, a player kills a certain amount of enemies or completes a difficult quest, he'd be promoted to a higher rank? It could display a 'You've been promoted to: Pvt.' message, for instance."

You have my house bugged? Joking aside, both BlueFox and I were discussing that very thing last week. I've also passed our idea to Flatlander, and both he and I have been discussing it as well. I'm already drafting it out first in my notebook and then will be on the coding part once I've polished off my notes. Will keep you posted.

- BlackFox

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2010 00:32
Alright, thanks

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2010 01:01 Edited at: 25th Apr 2010 01:03
If anything along the line of a ranking/level/experience system will be implemented it will be in V3.0 along with the migration. If Blackfox gives me enough of an idea that would require more coding and extra commands I will probably include it.

However, in the meantime, you can do that with what we already have especially now that I added a couple of new things to v2.10 (v2.11 just updated the xbox controller buttons that I changed and which works better with RPG Mod.)

Anyway, you would keep track of number of kills or whatever is necessary to increase your chance of promotion or whatever through variables. Using RPG Mod variables probably will be easier to use. In fact it would be a requirement if you use the new variable numeric hud along with this to show, say, the number of kills. You could display the message "You've been promoted to: Pvt." by using any number of message text. FPSCRAWTEXT or RPG Mod prompt text or the new RPG Mod Raw Text which allows you to display up to 7 different text strings at a time. This will not pause the game. It will remain there while the game is in play or until you turn it off.

In the TOC look for Other Commands/RPG Raw Text Display for instructions. For the numeric hud look for Variable Numeric Hud Display to explain how to use it. You will need to use RPG Mod Variables.

Use your imagination and I bet you can come up with something.

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2010 01:41
I knew it could be done with default scripting, all I wanted to know is if RPGM made it easier Thanks.

Blind Digger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2010 01:47
Flatlander Thanks for the fantastic mod (great features)

Thanks for the DL Blackfox.

Stephen
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2010 01:50 Edited at: 25th Apr 2010 02:11
Quote: "all I wanted to know is if RPGM made it easier Thanks."

It just might yet.

Your welcome Blind Digger. And yes I also thank Blackfox for taking care of the logistics and questions.

Addendum:

I really am not expecting the migration to be completed for deployment by the end of the year. It hasn't even started beta testing by the community yet. Therefore it might be possible that if something looks good regarding a rank system (Was pun intended? I'm not sure. :LOL: ), then I might code something for v2.2.

SOLO DESIGN
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I have not checked this mod out yet, but I have one question - could this be used to create a Dungeon Crawler like Dungeon Master in 3D??

Thanks

Solo
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2010 17:29
It sounds like you want a character model. This will not create models. It is a Role Playing Game modification to FPSC to make it easier to play RPGs.

If you want a Dungeon Crawler Rolfy a long time ago created the "Pit Crawler." You can download it at FPSFREE. He also created a flying dragon. Whether it works in FPSC v116 or not I am not certain.

SOLO DESIGN
Years of Service
User Offline
Flatlander - No not a character model!
Have you never ever heard of the genre -Dungeon Crawler?
Dungeon Master -Eye of the Beholder etc etc etc??????

What I am asking is...with this MOD would it be possible to create a game of this genre??

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2010 17:42 Edited at: 26th Apr 2010 17:50
@ Flatlander

Reference to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon_Master_%28video_game%29

@ Solo Design

RPG Mod is capable of creating an inventory system that has some similarity or feel to it as Dungeon Master. However, the mod also works with the features and limitations the game engine has.

Right now we do not have the ability to create spells and such yet, but we are looking at how to accomplish this. We also are looking at a ranking/experience system. Thanks for reminding me of this game. It has been a while since I've played it. Perhaps I can get a few ideas on creating other systems for RPG Mod.

- BlackFox

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2010 23:24
Quote: "Have you never ever heard of the genre -Dungeon Crawler?"

Nope, as you can see I'm really not a gamer (one who plays games) but a programmer and an old man who is in his 2nd childhood.

This is why I need others to help me such as Blackfox.

Yes, one of the things I would like to do is the ability to use particles to create a magic wand effect.

Right now one can have wizard characters or whatever character is needed who has the ability to concoct magic potions than can be placed in inventory and used accordingly. Also, someone (either Bond1 or AEI) had created magic spells in the form of books that the player can carry as weapons and then release the magic spell by pressing the fire button on the mouse.

I am looking forward to some of Blackfox's suggestions.

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2010 23:37
Quote: "Yes, one of the things I would like to do is the ability to use particles to create a magic wand effect.

Right now one can have wizard characters or whatever character is needed who has the ability to concoct magic potions than can be placed in inventory and used accordingly. Also, someone (either Bond1 or AEI) had created magic spells in the form of books that the player can carry as weapons and then release the magic spell by pressing the fire button on the mouse.

I am looking forward to some of Blackfox's suggestions."

Working on them as fast as I can.

- BlackFox

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2010 23:46
I would like to add one more thing here.

I believe I have pretty much included just about everything one needs to create any type of genre. You just have to use your imagination. The key to any RPG genre is the inventory. Combat genre you have combat inventory. Dungeon and Dragons (medieval) you have magic spells, charms and what have you that would fit into that genre. It is the skill of the developer to put these things together. To come up with quests, objectives, clues, etc. You can use huds for inventory items and therefore you can have pictures just like in the game that was mentioned. It is the story and game design that makes the game and I believe there are plenty of tools at the moment to be able to pull off most RPG genres you can think of.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2010 23:48
@Blackfox

No pressure.

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2010 23:54 Edited at: 26th Apr 2010 23:56
Quote: "I would like to add one more thing here.

I believe I have pretty much included just about everything one needs to create any type of genre. You just have to use your imagination. The key to any RPG genre is the inventory. Combat genre you have combat inventory. Dungeon and Dragons (medieval) you have magic spells, charms and what have you that would fit into that genre. It is the skill of the developer to put these things together. To come up with quests, objectives, clues, etc. You can use huds for inventory items and therefore you can have pictures just like in the game that was mentioned. It is the story and game design that makes the game and I believe there are plenty of tools at the moment to be able to pull off most RPG genres you can think of."

We agree. The contents of RPG mod allow the developer to design any genre. The mod will fit combat/military, medieval, sci-fi and perhaps any other I missed. We use it in a WW2 game, an Egyptian game, a sci-fi game, and a medieval game development we have underway.

It does require knowledge of scripting, huds, and imagination to put it all together. And patience. This mod is not like other mods, where you just copy it and expect it to work. This mod requires one to have a good understanding of scripting, not just the mod's setup files, but also how to get your script to interact with the inventory.

- BlackFox

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2010 01:55 Edited at: 27th Apr 2010 01:55
To continue this conversation to another level (was pun intended? - you be the judge)

Lee's concept for FPSC was to make a game development tool that can easily and quickly create a first person shooter game within minutes. This was intended to be fun for a young (or old) imaginative mind and to get their feet wet into game development. I believe Lee accomplished that goal. Some of the other mods just expanded on this by creating ways to quickly do some of the things that a FPS game would currently have. Better weapons use, bloom, and etc.

However, RPG Mod takes it to new heights. RPG requires a lot of information for the game that doesn't have to do with graphics. This is what RPG Mod does and that is what makes it more complex to use and therefore takes it out of the realm of quick game development as FPSC was designed.

Oh, BTW, variables is another key element for RPG. Lee has 100 available variables that can be used but are somewhat difficult to use. RPG Mod has another 200 possible variables that is more versatile in that you have variable names rather than numbers and can put strings within a variable.

Because of the possible massive use of information for an RPG game, I am still thinking of using Dark Data to store that information within a database. However, I believe for now storing it in arrays within the game is fine for now.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2010 02:48
Sent you an email. Sorry for not doing so sooner. Been busy with a few other projects especially building my newest set of media(Sanctuary). I want to use your RPG Mod for the Sanctuary set to show it off, maybe even build it into a full game.

Hope to hear from you.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 01:08:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 01:08:45