Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Holy crap! It's the PC gaming nostalgia thread!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 15:14
I'm surprised to see there isn't one already, but this is basically the epic, awesome thread where you tell the uninterested world about any retro games you remember playing.

I want to see big-boxes and floppies here too folks!

Hugo's Horrific Adventure/ House of Horrors

Chip's Challenge

Defender

Quake. It should be illegal to have not played this game.

Duke Nukem Kill-a-Ton Collection (Best box-set ever)

Microsoft Pinball Arcade

Most of these are from the days when the family PC made the epicly irritating Dial-Up startup sounds. (A good 6-8 years ago)

And you may be wondering why I owned/played DN3D at that age. Well I didn't, my mum did.
OK, now you're wondering why a mother would own Duke Nukem 3D. Because she's cooler than your mum/mam/mom

I'd love to see things from your point of view but I can't get my head that far up my bum.
charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 15:17 Edited at: 18th Jun 2010 15:44
Definately the most awesome game I played in my childhood was Destruction Derby,still play it from time to time.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 15:29 Edited at: 18th Jun 2010 15:31

ok that's it i'm downloading it and playing through it again...

One man, one lawnmower, plenty of angry groundhogs.
Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
COMMANDER KEEN * searches old win98 laptop*

That was the first game I ever played and I loved it(L). Memories

Isocadia

Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 16:29 Edited at: 18th Jun 2010 16:37
Chex Quest(free computer game with every box of Chex!) I played this game at a neighbors. Man I couldn't stop playing. Its what got me into Duke Nukem(3d-64)Quake(64).. I never liked doom though.. I would get sick when I played it, it was to dam dark for me.

Jane's ATF, I could play this game for hours seeing what the plane
can do, I loved to make the pilot eject into the ground!

I dont know how to spell
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 18:41
Quote: "Quake. It should be illegal to have not played this game"

Oh God! Just realized I'm an outlaw! [runs away, closes door, runs more, sees SWAT, swears, goes to jail, rots there for the rest of his life/]

zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 19:15
First off, Duke Nukem 2!

Then, Abuse!

GTA, anyone?

CARMAGEDDON!!!!

Who needs Resident Evil when you've got Alone in the Dark?

A little Crusader: No Regrets

And finally, a little screenie of the first Fallout.

There are tons of other games that I played when I was younger, but I think these were my favorite.

My green thumb grew the tree my Trojan War horse was crafted from. With roses in our pockets we rally round the tombstones. Ashes to ashes, we all fall down.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 19:33
Just looking at those screenies makes me feel nostalgic, and somewhat sad. I miss the feeling those games gave me. In all honesty, it's not so much the games that have gotten worse, but it's the fact I've gotten old that has killed that gaming feeling.

Here are a few from me ...

UFO:Enemy Unknown (My fave game of all time)

Ultima Underworld 2

Flashback

Insert piccy sig here. Eh? Why didn't that work?!?! Must ring help-a-noob. What was the number again? .... where am I?
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Dunno if this is old enough, but i loved Tombi 1&2 for the playstation!

Rawwrr. Sig Fail.
Newcastle is awesome
SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 20:39
OOZE, actually a rather crap game methinks...
The law of Sonic The Hedgehog should be the same as Quake .
I loved the game series, but D2 was the greatest, although I never got round to finishing it lol.

2 of the best old games around Ooze actually kinda sucked since it got repetitive and boring after a while .

-SSG

--=. ,=--
zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 20:53
Better throw these up there as well:

Dune2

KKND

My green thumb grew the tree my Trojan War horse was crafted from. With roses in our pockets we rally round the tombstones. Ashes to ashes, we all fall down.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 21:20
Dunno if this is old enough, but it's the oldest game I ever played - and loved:

Banjo Kazooie for the N64. I am seriously considering getting it on XBLA when I buy another 360...

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 21:24
Quote: "I loved the game series, but D2 was the greatest, although I never got round to finishing it lol."

oh man, forgot about descent, definitely an epic game

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 22:09
DOOM 1:

S.A.M:

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 22:20
Love these two games, still play them. ^^

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 23:10 Edited at: 18th Jun 2010 23:12
Woh, someone else who used to play Flashback besides me!

One of my favorites, I even started a remake of it in DB forever ago, Blood Money!

Battle Squadron

The first game that let me chop off an enemy's head, Barbarians Prepare to die!

I loved Obliterator, but controls sucked and made the game very hard

Those were my favorites on my old 7MHz box.

Ninja Turtles!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 00:52
Not sure if these are "retro", and they're not all PC games. This is essentially my childhood in screenshot form.

i like orange
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 01:15
Hard Hat Mack

Wasteland (still about my favorite RPG)

One of my favorite arcade machines

SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 01:15
OH OH OH OH OH I remember 3 other awesome games I used to play!
Rayman 2: The Great Escape was one of the best games I have ever played. Shame I lost the disc .
I loved MechWarrior 3 until our first PC short circuited, that was my first PC repair attempt at the age of 5 .

And this has to have the best memories after Rayman 2:

Heavy Gear 2 was the greatest Mech game I had ever played, after the Armoured Core series . Even though it doesn't work on Vista/7, it's installed on my PC but barely works xD.

-SSG

--=. ,=--
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 01:27
Quote: "Not sure if these are "retro", and they're not all PC games. This is essentially my childhood in screenshot form."

Good man for adding Banjo Kazooie

Insanity Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 01:52
I can never find a screenshot of it, but I loved the DOS game Ninja. Used to play it at my dad's house a lot. Then there was some DOS Mickey Mouse game we played too that I don't really remember.

Megaman!

Scorched Earth

Other than those, most of the games AndrewT posted I had a shot at a bit later in my childhood

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 03:00
Space Quest III

The 7th Guest

Coaster

Stunts
- Fun fact--- I worked at the descendant of this company for over 3 years!

Star Raiders

Oids

Senior Web Developer - Nokia
Insanity Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 03:06
MobyGames doesn't like you Jeku

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 03:33
Totally forgot this one in my last post.

I LOVE WORMS.

i like orange
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 03:35 Edited at: 20th Jun 2010 00:31
Daggerfall (started playing it a little late during 2000s but a really awesomwe game) The dungeons were EPIC, id get lost in one and spent weeks trying to find my quest objective and weeks more trying to find a way out.

Jedi knight dark forces 2 I love the low poly graphics and the story and the enviroment and the level design was just epic, Also you gotta love the live action cutscene/cinematics

Shadows of the empire. Story and the level design and the action! best n64 game in my opinion (i was terrified of the wampas) also i always wondered about the wampa on the canyon planet how did it get there? is it really a wampa or something else? also the canyon level was the best!

Carmageddon 2 tons of mods, endless ways to destroy your vehicles, awesome vehicle damage effects like in real life (destroying stuff and killing zombies felt so satisfying)tons of bizzare vehicles Also HUGE levels to explore.

Final fantasy VII. the most epic storyline i ever played, great low poly charecter design, awesome art

Thief: the dark project. despite of the low poly graphics, can get very creepy/scary at times. seriosly i was in cold sweat more than once while playing this game. Also the steampunk settings, the storyline and the cutsenes were great.

[img]null[/img]

i have tons more favorite games but there not retro enough for this thread in my opinion

dont hate people who rip you off,cheat and get away with it, learn from them
SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 14:01
Whoa whoa whoa PAGAN, I don't think that 'Dude' pic isn't right lolz . And yeah, SW:JKark Forces 2 was awesome, long time since I played that too.

-SSG

--=. ,=--
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 20:27
WOW THAT picture was not there, there is another one instead. I guess they tracked me down and changed it because they dont like me stealing their content or something, but i am telling you that picture was not the one i posted! i am really sorry for that, but its not my fault

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 21:58 Edited at: 19th Jun 2010 22:20
Fallout looks great! I love the whole post-apocalypse theme (playing fallout 3 right now)
Commander Keen was one of my favourites.

The Ninja

Never got past level four!

Alex The Kidd in Shinobi World

Golden Axe

My Favourite... Streets of Rage

The most fun game of all time. Buy The Warriors by Rockstar, it is basically a remake of Streets of Rage and it's awesome

G-Police

hmmm not a great picture.

SWAT 3

I bought this in a bargain bucket and was wonderfully surprised at how good it was. Great game, rivals Rainbow Six.

Elite

I'm not old enough to have played this the first time around, I downloaded it a while back and was blown away, it felt like discovering some ancient Mayan technology, it's so far ahead of anything.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 22:21
Worms is a great example of a game that should be total crap but is so much fun!

PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 03:02 Edited at: 20th Jun 2010 03:07
THE Warriors is a great game, i played it on PSP. Also G police i had that game but i lost it and never got around to playing it, speaking of which i just remembered the first game i played on my own computer. RECOIL, you drive around a stolen advanced prototype tanks and try to defeat the evil mashines (which you stole the tank from) The game is super hard after 2nd level and almost impossible to beat without cheats but it was SOOOO FUN, you got all these fun weapons like bouncy lazers and missiles shockwave generators ice rays and much more and the levels were huge and lots of explosions. the tank was called a BFT- battle functional tank or something. me and my frinds translated the BFT abriviation differently than the real definition

in the final level there was a bug but i am not really sure, all the enemies at first will not shoot you but everyone will have their guns pointed at you if you do as much as bump into another tank or shoot the simplest energy blast in the air, they will all slaugher you 3 times (take all your 3 lives) within a fraction of a second, in that level there are always at least 10 other enemies withing shooting range plus helicopters patrolling the sky

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 04:08
Quote: "WOW THAT picture was not there, there is another one instead. I guess they tracked me down and changed it because they dont like me stealing their content or something, but i am telling you that picture was not the one i posted! i am really sorry for that, but its not my fault"

Yeah the link that's attached to the picture takes you to a totally different picture. I'd like to know how they change the image when on a different website. Someone here can probably tell me.

Your signature has been [mod edited] :-p
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 06:02
Yes, it's an anti-leeching thing.

Basically, when their server receives a request, they set their server to redirect the request to a different image if the request is coming from a third-party site.

I'm not going to go into manually configuring such a thing, but if you have a control panel for your website hosting, often times you'll find an option called 'anti-leech' or something.

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 07:30 Edited at: 20th Jun 2010 07:35

Kravenwolf

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 12:53
Nthing in Kraven's post shows for me... not the pics, his avatar thingy nor the sig...

SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 22:51
Your seconds to last pic Kraven, is that Resident Evil? That lobby looks familiar from when I played RE at the age of 4 I only played it for 5 minutes, until when I run away because of 2 zombies closing in on you in a tight hallway . My mind is slowly clogging up with old times now, and here are a few more gems:

Jazz Jackrabbit 2, I loved the game so much, I installed it onto my PC, which it doesn't work on since mine is Windows 7 and it requires ALL the way back to Windows 95 xD. Anyone know of an app which can play old games on new systems?

TOONSTRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was freaked out by the clowns (I have a slight phobia of clowns ) but I adored the game with all of its puns and slapstick humour!

Armored Core 2, I have a few more of the sequels, and I still play them to this day on my old PS2 . One of the best mecha-fighting games ever made.

Halo: CE wasn't bad, gave me a laugh at some points, but our old PC couldn't handle it very well...

Quote: "Nthing in Kraven's post shows for me... not the pics, his avatar thingy nor the sig..."

Does anyone elses' pics show up then?

-SSG

--=. ,=--
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 23:11
Quote: "Halo: CE wasn't bad, gave me a laugh at some points, but our old PC couldn't handle it very well..."

Y'know, I still have that installed...it's a fun game to play now and then...

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 23:24
Quote: "Does anyone elses' pics show up then?"

Yes. Now the first one does, and it's weird because they show in other threads (teh sig and stuff).

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2010 02:22
Hey AndrewT, my brother and I were just playing AoE2 the other night, have you played the 3rd one yet?

Am I getting so old now that early 3D games are becoming "retro"?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2010 02:31
How did everybody forget about Starcraft?

Suikoden II for Playstation

Resident Evil 3 Nemesis

A Boy and His Blob

Those are the only games I can remember right now

"To lead, you must first die in your mind. Let go of life, and embrace it!!!"
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2010 05:26
AOE2 is still one of my fav games of all time. Playing less often nowadays, but will probably have a lan party sometime within the next few months

Never was a fan of aoe3

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2010 00:45
i play aeo2 regularly with peeps at my uni. we're pros now

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2010 01:44
Used to love AoE2 on the PS2, only successful console RTS I've ever played...

Now if I want to feel God syndrome though, I just play a little Dawn of War. Some Tau fire warriors and two Hammerheads, roll the thunder, game won...

BearCDP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2010 07:47
How 'bout some Longest Journey?

Or mebbe some Red Alert?

American McGee's Alice is also an older one that my friends and I recently discovered to be very aweswome.

Check out this WIP flash game from the Global Game Jam!
James_TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
This thread has brought back some amazing memories for me! Probably the game that sticks with me the most is the first Monkey Island. Such a great story. Am currently playing through it on my iPhone.

Online Marketer for TGC
zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2010 20:34
^Right on James! I still remember my very first, and still one of my favorite games: Tadda, Monkey Island III - The Curse of Monkey island! That and Virtua Cop II, Virtua Fighter and my Chrono Trigger on teh SNES. Good old days.

Also, am I the only one to remember Super Marios Bros? I remember frying a TV after playing that game with a childhood friend for up to 24 hours, when our parents where away! We almost peed ourself to death that way, since neighter of us wanted to go to the bathroom hehe.
Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2010 21:30
I'm not old enough to remember SMB. Never managed to get a NES/SNES in my childhood.

In fact, my birth missed SMB by exactly 10 years. It makes me sad.

I'd love to see things from your point of view but I can't get my head that far up my bum.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 28th Jun 2010 21:35
You can play SMB through emulators, and even download the games onto your Wii (if you have one) through the Classics channel.

A good (free for NES gaming) emulator: http://www.consoleclassix.com/

James_TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
How about Super Mario Land on Gameboy? Love that game!

Online Marketer for TGC
Mike The Creator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 16:08
The Chaos Engine by Bitmap Bros was one of my favourites.

Oh and Cannon Fodder!

Good times!
Gencheff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2010 22:14
Diablo 1

Beetle Crazy Cup

Wolfenstein 3D

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 23:28:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 23:28:42