Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / TGC Web Hosting Survey

Author
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2010 15:40
Hi all,

Do you have a spare few minutes to fill in this very short survey?

Web Hosting Survey

We need to know if this is something users want. If it is, we can roll it out pretty quickly due to some other work we have been doing.

Cheers,

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
Shadowtroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2010 17:55
Filled it out.

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2010 19:57
Filled it out. Sounds like an awesome idea.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 23rd Jun 2010 21:58
Yeah, that would be great for hosting Mystic-Mod.

Logo by The Next
Oolite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2010 22:30
I think subscription plans would be good, pay per amount of storage you need along with a 100mb free account. Do you think that the post upload feature will be disabled if this becomes a feature?

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2010 23:01
not sure how TGC could compete with other web hosting services (including free ones) if that's all they were offering. instead, why not offer various hosting plans (storage and bandwidth) along with some game/project front-end appplications we'd find useful. include, say, WIP functions with formatted updates, bug reporting, subscriptions, etc. or, perhaps, functionality with group projects in mind. you get the idea, and i don't see anything mentioned beyond "web hosting" so i don't know if these ideas are already being considered.

anyway, survey completed.

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA
AMD Phenom™ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
The Grunge Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2010 00:58
Completed, and this sounds nice.

TechNo VaLLey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2010 16:50
TGC always comes up with nice .. interesting ideas

I have also added another comment to accept users Ads for their products for an acceptable fees.

Not sure as well if TGC can scan all uploads to protect their users.

Techno VaLLeY
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 24th Jun 2010 18:35 Edited at: 24th Jun 2010 18:39
The problem with the survey is that if you select that you would not be willing to pay for the service, the next two *Required questions are "how would you like to pay" and "how much".

With so many free file hosting services available and you not offering other services to go with it, I don't see the need for it.

Italy Portugal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2010 19:13
taken it...wishing I had more money...this would be AWESOME!

God never dies, God is, that is enough.

a game creator's podcast - Coming Soon!
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2010 20:56 Edited at: 24th Jun 2010 20:58
hmm...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_hosting_services

I'm having a very hard time understanding why anyone would pay for such a service when you have such a large selection of both paid and free excellent services dedicated to it already.

http://www.filefront.com/
http://www.dropbox.com/

etc.

Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 25th Jun 2010 09:37
I tried to ask you guys about this and you told me I was stupid and I should get another idea.. :S
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2010 17:21 Edited at: 25th Jun 2010 23:08
This is really not worth it, especially as a subscription service, i can give users 1GB of space on my server for almost nothing why would anyone want to pay for those tiny amounts of space you are offering to us. Anything less than 10GB is completely useless for hosting game files there are all these free services that offer unlimited space and you are suggesting we pay for these very limiting amounts.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Dual nvidia SLI 9800GT 1GB, 1.5TB Hard disk
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2010 17:50
I do agree with the next, maybe TGC should make it just free, or dont make it. I mean i aint going to pay like 10 bucks a month for 1 gb, i know some places where it's free, and unlimited...

Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2010 18:12
Quote: "I tried to ask you guys about this and you told me I was stupid and I should get another idea.. :S"

Are you sure they actually called you "stupid", or are you just slandering them?

Let's be a little more constructive, and a lot less abusive about this. If you can't have a conversation without being abusive (to the Forum owners of all people); then find somewhere else to roam.

-Keith

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2010 20:50
I think for this to work, the space has to be reasonably priced and come with extra tools specific to game developers.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2010 22:59
Did I really just get put on post moderation for this, this is about the only thread I have posted in today and I'm now on post moderation I broke no rules and I was simply airing my opinion.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Dual nvidia SLI 9800GT 1GB, 1.5TB Hard disk
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2010 07:31
Quote: "This is really stupid..."

That remark got you on post moderation. You can air your opinion, without making condescending remarks like that.

-Keith

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2010 16:47
Survey completed. Though I do agree that some extra features that pertain to game development would be nice. I made a suggestion for a public user profile page. Basically like a mini one page website with different sections: main info page with the user name contact info, forum picture and maybe even a trophy case with all the medals won. Then there can be a project page featuring uploaded files and screenshots. Just something real simple, easy to setup and navigate. Google searchable of course with custom url (example:www.thegamecreators.com/JoshMooney)

Just a thought.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2010 13:01
If Cpanel was introduced in the package that TGC could provide and the price was low enough I'd buy. I really want a decent web host with cpanel, so if you add this TGC, I'm in.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0Ghz, 2.0GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz, ATI Radeon Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X
Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2010 07:32
filled out...

- Gorlock
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2010 02:00
I would possibly be interested if it weren't for the section on copyrights in the AUP...
Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 30th Jun 2010 21:23
Quote: "Are you sure they actually called you "stupid", or are you just slandering them?"

No, of course they didn't. It was a figure of speech. If you would like to know, what I really meant was... "In my mind I felt the reactions toward my idea pointed out that my product was considered useless, and it almost felt in my mind that other forum members were calling my stupid for bringing up the idea."
zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2010 20:13
Done. Hope it's helpful.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2010 00:56
I have a full web hosting service that gives me unlimited space and a huge amount of endless bandwidth for only about $10 a month, so I'd have no need for such a service.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2010 05:10
I host my own web server, for free, and have as much storage as I have disk space so A payed for service would be useless to me, unless it was something I couldn't get somewhere else. (Bearing in mind that Microsoft's live drive offers so much storage space and is free)

What would be useful, would be a virtual server with an installation of dbp and various plugins where users on the forum can copy uploaded code to and run it remotely. (Kinda like the server MCP course)

Now that I'd pay for.

Still, it's nice to see TGC coming up with new ideas.

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2010 12:01 Edited at: 12th Jul 2010 12:01
I think it'd be more useful for TGC to operate a service similar to github. (perahps using trac or something similar)

MrBill181
Years of Service
User Offline
Filled out.

I liked what Josh Mooney had to say:

Quote: "Though I do agree that some extra features that pertain to game development would be nice. I made a suggestion for a public user profile page. Basically like a mini one page website with different sections: main info page with the user name contact info, forum picture and maybe even a trophy case with all the medals won. Then there can be a project page featuring uploaded files and screenshots. Just something real simple, easy to setup and navigate. Google searchable of course with custom url (example:www.thegamecreators.com/JoshMooney)
"

I would probable drop Photobucket, if I could get the same service here.

MrBill181
That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2010 22:18 Edited at: 15th Aug 2010 22:25
On the business side of things I think TGC providing more online services to it's product users is an excellent idea. You always have to expand and provide more services to your customers in order to build yout company trust and value.

I also suggested blog hosting using individual wordpress installs or WPMU. Microsoft does something similar for .net developers / enthusiests.

I know the survey is where they will be collecting most data on this subject but I also wanted to add here.

Full scale shared hosting solutions for your customers will do wonders for your own SEO given that subject matter of blogs and sites hosted by TGC stuck to TGC products and product development.
Not to mention, implimenting madetory backlinks to TGC

Quote: "not sure how TGC could compete "

It is not always about competeting with the big dogs. If you pull any profit from a product or service it is a success. If you are able to pull 10% of any market, it is a big news worthy story.
Also, 20% quarterly revenue growth is a fortune 500 company MUST, in order to obtain this pennies must be squeezed out from anywhere you can do it.

I am sure TGC has very creative minds around the table, keep it up.

MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2010 20:15
nice idea with the hosting, But i think as mentioned above that you should get a small, say 100mb limit, with the option to subscribe for more space like many sites do.

Everyone Be Cool, You, Be Cool
Life Isn't fair, Its Just fairer Than Death
Death is doing nothing, life is doing what others tell you
teamhalo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2010 01:31
Filled out. 10Gb would be nice

Check out my new model pack:
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2010 15:02
You guys should run this software for us:

http://www.redmine.org/

I'd do it myself, but I don't have the financial resources to run it. It probably wouldn't take much to run and maintain, but in these times I don't have it

ThoughtWire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2010 20:59
Filled out, Probably at LEAST 2Gb.

www.thoughtwire.co.uk
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 8th Feb 2011 04:06
My feedback here would be, its not for those who already have alternative options, but those who either did not know of such a function/service and/or those who are looking and do not know a reliable place, as they have trust and confidence in TGC, and I know I do... they now have the possibility of getting it here (at some point in the near future hopefully). Even if you have alternative means, sometimes an extra portal, so to say, can have its uses, the option is there for you to make descision on, and you only.

I can not remember if I filled this out or not, or whether or not I tried it when that bug was around... but I think posting my feedback here, should cover me , I just dont want to re-do it again if I already did.

I know I could make use of this, depending on the functions it will bring, I think having a place to run a test host application will be most useful to me with multiplayer productions.

hope this helped.

TGC Products: Dark Game Studio–DarkCLOUDS-Enhancement Pack-3D WorldStudio-Animated Sprite Pack-FPS Creator X9 free upgraded to build-Dark Data-DarkNet-Unity-EZRotate
enderleit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2011 13:48 Edited at: 16th Feb 2011 13:57
I second Josh Mooneys idea... I like the sound of that...

EDIT: Just to specify further...

Developer Profile page
- Personal info (picture, name, age, country, similar stuff...)
- Forum Info (name, posts, etc...)
- Medals, Trophies, etc...

Projects page
- Projects (with screenshots/videos)
- Downloads
- Other stuff...

When you click on someones profile on the Forum it would redirect to these pages...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 11:32:57
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 11:32:57