Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / David's Dice Game Challenge..

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2010 13:46 Edited at: 20th Aug 2010 01:04

***Deadline Extended to August 26th***

From now to August 17th I Challenge you to make a Dice Game, It can be a classic game Like Yahtzee, or your own unique variation. It can be something totally out of the blue, as long as it uses dice. The game can make use of a single die rerolled, a single roll of multiple dice, multiple rolls of multiple dice, dice shuffling, dice rolling, dice moving, dice hopping, dice dropping, just play with these dice.

I'll give you all a head start of sorts, attached is a zip with a 3D die and a set of 2D dice.

In case any of you have been hiding under rocks (to escape the hot sun no doubt) and missed the graphics upgrade I did for the 20-Liner rogue like game Grail of the Gods. Check out the newsletter and the 20-Liner thread and you'll have an idea where I'm heading with this.

I'm gonna try to make sure every entry to this contest that uses 'placeholder' graphics for any additional media requirements gets them upgraded. I want you all to know how it feels to get a game from start to finish and end up with something you can be proud of.

All the media I provide for this contest will be free for both commercial and non-commercial use. Credit for my graphics should be given of course.

I aim to make this the first contest on the TGC boards where 'Everyone Wins'. LOL

Now let the fun Begin!!

Cheers!

Edit: Although I placed a Deadline, this is not really a 'Compo' per say, I'm just challenging you all to make dice games and I'm offering to help with the graphics. So even if you take a bit longer than the deadline, it's not a real problem, I'll still keep watching this thread. Cheers!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2010 14:12
nice one David! Will definitely try to enter this one!
Just to be clear, how strict are the 'Dice' guidelines? I mean, would an FPS where the only weapon was a pair of dice that you could fling at people be allowed? xD that's not my idea, I just wanted to check if the game literally had to be a dice style puzzle/board game

zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2010 14:54
Sure gonna enter this competition! Well then, see you all on August 17th.
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2010 15:16
Sorry to say an FPSC game using dice will not qualify for this compo.. if I was up to doing a FPSC game graphics upgrade I would have also posted a link to here in those forums.

Think along the lines of standard puzzle/board games and You'll be in the ball park.

The problem with FPSC is it opens up too much of a gray area where the free graphics are concerned, and people with FPSC already have a whole slew of graphics available to them.

Cheers!

zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2010 15:22
^I don't think he meant an FPSC game, but a First Person SHooter made with GDK/DBPro that used dice. [At least I think he did].
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2010 17:05
yeah, OK - Zapakitul is right, I didn't mean FPSC i just meant an FPS

OK then - that's fine, i'll get started on a puzzle game then.

zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2010 17:25
David, one question: I have a little interesting idea for a game that uses dice, but I have one simple question: If I where to enter a game using place holder graphics for 1-2 characters, would you also 'upgrade' them?
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2010 19:33
I really shouldn't do this, but I probably will .

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2010 20:01 Edited at: 18th Jul 2010 20:05
Just to make it clear, aside from models of 3D dice, I'm not offering any other 3D modeling. I'm a crappy 3D modeler when it comes to characters, and a 'placeholder graphic' is not the same as a placeholder 'model'. Cubes I can handle, anything more and I'll be biting off more than I can chew. Seriously, where in the history of my life on these forums have I ever created 3d character models of any kind. My skills are best suited for static models, I have 'never' rigged any model for animation.. heck when I tried to do something simple like animate the lid of a chest opening and closing I failed miserably..

The reason I provided a 3d Die with the 2d dice sprites is because I know some of you would like to play with the physics of dice rolling in some way or other. It was not to open this compo the full fledged FPS 3D games where you find dice on the ground, or throw dice at pineapples.

You guys make me laugh, and cry all at the same time LoL <sob> LOL

Cheers!

P.S. zapakitul if you meant 2d characters I can handle that.

zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2010 23:26
Got it. Well then, I'll see what I can do in 2D. Still entering )
GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2010 04:38 Edited at: 19th Jul 2010 04:42
This might be something for me to look into. My next big project is too big, and I don't know where to start on it.

(see how I edited my post to disguise the really stupid question I asked previously? ;P)

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2010 05:39
Quote: "(see how I edited my post to disguise the really stupid question I asked previously? ;P)"

Better than "nvm" .

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2010 15:31 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2010 18:12
David, will it help if the codes we post are remarked on what does what, if so I've some added typing to do.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 23rd Jul 2010 17:15 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2010 17:18
David,

Do you want "work in progress" or just the finished article (aside from placeholders that is)?

Tempted to have a go at this.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2010 11:54
Well something I been trying to do since AMOS days has finally been done and finished apart from some sound.

What I call Dice Fruits as long as you have the dice object then this will run as it makes ever other image, which definitely could do with up grading.

so here the code.

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2010 13:04 Edited at: 24th Jul 2010 13:13
WIP's are good,.. and the sooner I see placeholder graphics the sooner I can start pushing pixels.

Cheers!

P.S. you are not in any way limited to 'traditional dice', if you want dice with different images on each side that's fine, poker dice, or fruit dice like HowDO, is fine.. be creative. I love when people think 'outside the box'

EDIT: HowDo, is that code DBC? or are you using a plugin? When I pasted the code into DBP it hangs at the random seed timer() and all the 'box' commands have the wrong parameters etc.

P.P.S... If you all use placeholder graphics, all you need to do is post/upload the graphics here. A screenshot of the 'old' would help also, so I have an idea how the graphics fit.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2010 13:34 Edited at: 24th Jul 2010 13:34
err no, should be DBPro unless it the IanM's plugin that I've used without knowing it.

random seed timer() should have been randomize timer()and the box command shoud of had the other three rgb's added

I post updated code for those who have not installed the Matrix1 Utility Plug-ins.
let me know if still does not work.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2010 14:12 Edited at: 24th Jul 2010 22:46
HowDo

Your original snippet works fine for me - but then I've got IanM's plugin collection.

I'll post my WIP as soon as I've tracked down one annoying bug (the other bugs are not quite so annoying ).

Edit Tracked down the main bug so here's the first draft. No scoring, etc, yet, but this should give you some idea of the game. Instructions are in the zip file. Known bugs/things to do are noted in the dba file.

Edit2 Download removed. Newer version a few posts down this thread.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2010 18:06
Now that's a unique game, GG! Nice use of shaders .

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2010 18:30
Green Gandalf I get the loading screen ok but when it goes to play screen it over sized can only see one quarter of the background , the cool looking dice show ok and work when clicked on.

tried it in window mode and again load screen ok, but play screen doulbe the size, my monitor can only do 720 down.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2010 19:29 Edited at: 24th Jul 2010 19:32
HowDo

Thanks. I have exactly the same problem on my XP laptop. I was testing on my Vista PC earlier. I think I've found a fix for it and I think it's related to the bug I've reported on the Bug Reports board.

I'll post a revised demo soon which contains a few fixes and enhancements.

BMacZero Thanks for the encouragement.
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2010 21:44
HowDo being the first to post some progress gets a new dice object (attached)

Here is a sample of what it looks like running his code, (I had to change the load object name to match the new dice object.)

Comments: You might want to play with the diffuse of the dice to make them a bit brighter. (or boost the ambiant, try different things) Also, if you use bitmaps instead of building the other sprites in code, it'll be easier for me to upgrade them.

Cheers!

... me sets my eyes on Gandalf's entry next...

Attachments

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2010 22:24
...We interrupt this thread to bring you.. MORE DICE SPRITES!!!...

Attached is a zip with all 36 dice saved as individual .png with alpha channel transparency.

Cheers!

Attachments

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2010 22:27
David, I think I've done what you require, ziped 5 png images together which I am using but I think they all could be put on one image and I work out where to grab them.

If this not what you need say so and I will try to get the images you require.

Attachments

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2010 22:34 Edited at: 24th Jul 2010 23:22
Hmmm, well HowDo, it is kind of what I meant,.. but these are all 256x256 bitmaps, even though the buttons in the game are nowhere near that size,.. are you planning to use them as textures? I was thinking more along the lines of sprites.. I'll be right back with samples of your images as sprites..

Cheers!

Edit: Back..

Check out the attached zip, I made a set of 'Hold' buttons for the rows and columns.. this is what I mean by a sprite,.. not sure what you had in mind for the 256x256 bitmaps.. Let me know if this will work for you..

Cheers v2.0

Attachments

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2010 22:42
I use them as textures as the button on the screen are 3d planes, I could make some three D3 buttons, but then that another skill that not too great at.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2010 22:43 Edited at: 26th Jul 2010 15:33
This challenge has definitely left the launchpad.

Here's version 2 of my game. Just a few bug fixes and code tidying - no new features yet. I'm now working on the dice checking part - nearly there but messier than I hoped. Once that's done a decent scoring/level system can be devised.

The main problem (other than vital missing features) is the absence of sound on some systems. Just another hurdle to overcome.

David

Some great media there.

Edit Oops! Forgot the new zip file.

Edit2 Download removed. Latest version (V5) in a later post on 26 July.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2010 23:21
hope I not making you pull your hair out, your comments made me have a go at a 3D button that will work for all the buttons, I attach it here as an x and 3ds, I use AC3D and this sometime does not save an X how it my be need.

Attachments

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2010 23:24 Edited at: 24th Jul 2010 23:29
HowDo, I updated my reply post above to add the new hold button sprites, scroll up.. grab it and let me know..

Cheers!

Edit... CRASH!! your button model has waaay too many vertices, it crashed every viewer I have.. you might want to tone down the subdividing.. if that is what you did, I can only guess.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2010 23:27
WOW! there great better than the 3D button I just did. thanks.

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2010 00:10
Gandalf, your backdrops are HUGE!! I made one that is 1024x768, would this be big enough? or do you need a 1680x1050 version.. also, this is just a first draft, if you have some other type/style in mind, let me know..

Cheers!

Attachments

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2010 00:11 Edited at: 26th Jul 2010 15:33
Version 3 of SwapIt! attached.

Minor bug fixes plus die checking. You now get Windows "tada.wav" sound when a die is correct.

Sound will get a major overhaul at some point.

Edit Download removed. Latest version (V5) in a later post on 26 July.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2010 00:13 Edited at: 25th Jul 2010 02:38
David

Our posts crossed.

There's no need for such huge graphics - I was experimenting with DBPro's bitmap scaling features and hadn't bothered to replace them with sensible sizes. They zip to almost nothing of course.

I've been called to supper now and will be back a bit later.

Edit Attached screenshot for next post.

Attachments

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2010 01:00 Edited at: 25th Jul 2010 02:46
David

I've just tried scaling down my backdrops to 25% of their original sizes and apart from the obvious resolution loss and another minor bug in my code they work fine. So please feel free to use any image size that's convenient.

I'm testing my code on two machines: a Vista PC with resolution 1680x1050 and an XP laptop with resolution 1280x800. The code should rescale whatever backdrop bitmaps are provided to those sizes. I attach [Sorry! NOT attached - forgot . Will post the latest version with new sounds tomorrow] the revised dba code which should correct the scaling bug revealed by my "25%" test. This code belongs with V3 posted above.

Edit (Last edit for tonight .) Here's a screenshot of your backdrop in action. My text spoils it of course and is an obvious candidate for removal or at least drastic reduction plus relocation. But it's beginning to look good. I'll be posting another revision tomorrow.

Attachments

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2010 13:49 Edited at: 26th Jul 2010 15:34
Here's the latest version of SwapIt!. With luck I'll attach it this time.

Still plenty to do. Comments on progress are in the .dba file.

Next main task is to devise a scoring system and progress from one level to another. Level features need some thinking about too - at the moment the only change is number of dice.

Edit Download removed. Latest version (V5) in a later post on 26 July.
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2010 20:46 Edited at: 25th Jul 2010 20:53
GG, I was not happy with the background for your game so I redid it,.. some slight adjustments will be needed to fit the new background, I hope you like it.

Cheers!

P.S. GG your latest update has an error that crashes the program..

Error: cannot find structure 'checkDice:min' in local declaration at line 415.

line 415 is as follows on my machine..

I hope this helps. Cheers!

Attachments

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2010 22:45
Awesome background .

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2010 00:12 Edited at: 26th Jul 2010 15:38
Quote: "P.S. GG your latest update has an error that crashes the program..

Error: cannot find structure 'checkDice:min' in local declaration at line 415."

I've used the min() function from IanM's Matrix1 Plugin collection. I'm surprised you haven't got it. I'll post a revised version which doesn't use it.

I like both your backdrops - but the extra space for additional info in the new one is useful. Thanks.

Edit Here's the latest code which, I hope (?), doesn't use IanM's functions. It also has a few tweaks to adjust the positioning of text and dice, and some redundant code has been removed. Otherwise it's the same as the original V4.

Edit2 Code removed. Latest version (V5) in a later post on 26 July.

Here's a screenshot using my laptop (1280x800) with your new backdrop. Looks very good. [The positioning may need further tweaking when I've tested it on other screen resolutions.]

Attachments

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2010 02:27 Edited at: 26th Jul 2010 02:30
In order to attempt to show that it is possible to 'think outside the box' for a Dice game, I offer this sample.. if you are making a 2D game, I could make dice numbered 1 to 9.. unlike a '3D Cube' 2D dice are not really limited to 6 sides.. I could also use a font to stamp numbers on the dice and go all the way up to 99.. (if you 3D programmers think dice numbered 1 to 99 would be cool, I guess I could always make a die 1-6, 7-12, 13-18.. 91-96..) These are custom Dice graphics I'm talking about.. but still dice..

That is my food for thought today..

Cheers!

P.S. GG your latest code runs smooth as a glass of cool water.

Attachments

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2010 03:15
My code is inextricably Matrix1-driven - hopefully I can just include an EXE and you can work with that?

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2010 13:04 Edited at: 26th Jul 2010 13:22
Quote: "In order to attempt to show that it is possible to 'think outside the box' for a Dice game"

Outside the cube?

Anyway, good suggestion. What about regular polyhedra of which the tetrahedron and cube are the simplest examples? It should be possible to get a few more polyhedra into my game - perhaps I should try a tetrahedron first before getting over-excited?

Your media are brilliant as usual.

Thanks for the feedback on my latest demo. I just need to make it into a proper game now.

Edit I also need to fix a bug that I've just spotted. If I swap two faces on a die that is already correct then the "tada" sounds even though it shouldn't. Think I know why. Stand by for version 5. [Isn't it annoying when these silly logic errors hold up development? I suppose I could Carry On Regardless .]
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2010 13:39
I downloaded IanM's matrix plugin thingy.. I'll attempt to install it later.

Cheers!

P.S. I also decided to update my DBPro to 7.5 from 7.074

Cheers! v 2.0

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2010 14:14
Green Gandalf, I sent you an email, check your in-box and RSVP please.

Thanks and Cheers!

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2010 15:12
Quote: "I also need to fix a bug that I've just spotted."

Fixed. New download attached. (I've removed the earlier downloads.)

David, I've received your email, thanks. Will reply later today.

Attachments

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2010 16:52 Edited at: 26th Jul 2010 17:01
@Green Gandalf, seeing your one of the few on here who have got there head around shaders, how would I go about putting a selected glow around the dice object, to show that you selected those, or a glow to show the winning line.

been looking but can't seem to find bit of code that shows here's the object, now this how you would make it glow or bloom.

cheers.
edit
Just download your latest version all works fine, display ok resolution am using.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2010 17:13
Quote: "how would I go about putting a selected glow around the dice object, to show that you selected those, or a glow to show the winning line."

Funnily enough I was thinking of doing something similar in mine.

I'm busy now till the end of the week - but if no-one else has come up with something I'll see what I can do then. With luck I'll have something suitable already lurking in one of my folders.

I'll have to take another look at your code to see what the options are - there may be another way to achieve the effect.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2010 17:18
cheers Green Gandalf, when ever you have the time to spare, will keep looking my self, might find something yet.

bing a thought,I think I have done this some time back for flashing crossing lights, off to see if I can spot what I saved it as.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2010 18:52
HowDo

Another solution to your glow idea would be to re-texture the dice with a glowing version of the dice texture - and then re-texture back again as necessary. David might be able to help you with a sutable image. I tested this using a blank image in your code and it seemed to work fine.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2010 20:15
David Gervais heres my very bad opening screen could do with your magic touch.

Attachments

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2010 20:23
plus here's the file with the hold buttons working.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 00:26:25
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 00:26:25