Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Intel Competition / [STICKY] Performance evaluation

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 18:08 Edited at: 19th Aug 2010 03:59
Free Performance Testing

Hi guys, in an effort to help you produce the best game you can, and increase your chances of being accepted by the Intel App Store. I'm offering to give up my free Saturdays! For the duration of the competition.

The idea is, that you send in an unofficial version of your program for a simple performance evaluation. This will not be treated as a final entry, and it will not be seen by the final judges making the decision. As I'm not involved in the final decision making process, seeing entries early won't affect the final judgements of the competition.

What is a performance evaluation?

Not everyone has a netbook knocking around, to test their games and software on. So I'm offering to help you do that! I'll ensure your shaders work (if you use them) on a common netbook based intel graphics chipset, and give you a reported frame rate.

How?

To get a free benchmark, simply add the line Text 10, 10, str$(Screen FPS()) to your programs main loop, and I'll report the frame rate back to you via e-mail.

example code

But make it easy on me! If there's a particularly crowded moment in your game you want tested, add in a quick leap to option, via a keyboard shortcut, or whatever. So I ran run through it and give you a good idea what sort of performance you can expect from a netbook. I won't be playing your games from end to end, so any moments you need me to look at, provide a method to get me there quick.

What I won't do!

This is purely for performance testing, a simple report of the FPS observed on our Netbook test machine. I won't be giving you tips, hints, programing advice, game evaluations, judgements or any other information. I won't help with development, media creation or anything else. If there's an obvious, error, or bug, game crash or freeze I'll let you know about that, and help by testing any revisions you make. But beyond that it's a simple speed test.

Submission

Send to daniel@thegamecreators.com (not compofiles@thegamecreators.com) there is a 10Mb file limit so if you need to send anything larger please use an alternative method, such as Microsoft live skydrive (50mb file limit, plus share folder options, or try Spideroak a free backup service, allows up to 2gb before you need to pay, that will allow you to share via links)

Update!

Asus EEE Test Bed Video
Laptop and Netbook size comparison
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 18:14
Very kind. Thanks Dan. I have an old Advent Netbook, but It doesn't seem to run even the simplest of DB programs smoothly, so I may have to take you up on this!

I want robotic legs.
Melancholic
Years of Service
User Offline
Very kind of you Daniel, no doubt I will be taking up your kind offer when i feel my game is ready .

Just a question, but what if i made my game record performence info in a text file, then you would only have to run the game a few seconds and then send the text file. Would this be possible?

I can count to banana...
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 18:38
Yes, if you wish to make a more complex FPS recording function that's no problem, just bare in mind any potential impact it might have on the results.
Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 18:41
Thanks Daniel,

I have no idea about the performance of these machines and have been wondering how to test it. Even, contemplating a trip to my local PC world equipped with a pen drive. Though am sure they would be grumpy.

Now all I need is for you to write the program for me

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 19:41
Thanks a lot, Daniel! That is very kind of you!
Do you also have a dropbox where I can drop my game in, Daniel? I have a dropbox, so that would make things a lot easier.
Also, I was wondering, what if I would want a screenshot of my game running on the netbook, would you be so kind to do that and send that screenshot along with the framerate by email back to me?

Cheers

Slayer rules!!! Yeaaah, man!
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 20:16
I'll certainly be using this service.

Is it ok though if I just send you a link to the download in the e-mail? (To save me uploading it via Hotmail/MSN and all that palava.)

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 22:46
That's great thanks!! It's hard to know how much we can squeeze in otherwise (those of us without a net book anyway)

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 23:11
Quote: "Do you also have a dropbox where I can drop my game in, Daniel? I have a dropbox, so that would make things a lot easier."

Just signed up. daniel@dcforeman.co.uk is the e-mail address assigned to dropbox, I assume that's all you need?

Quote: "Is it ok though if I just send you a link to the download in the e-mail? (To save me uploading it via Hotmail/MSN and all that palava.)"

No problem.

Quote: "
Also, I was wondering, what if I would want a screenshot of my game running on the netbook, would you be so kind to do that and send that screenshot along with the framerate by email back to me? "

I don't see why not. Remind me in the e-mail, otherwise I will forget!
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 23:30
Quote: "I assume that's all you need?"

Yep, and once again, thank you very much!

Quote: "Remind me in the e-mail, otherwise I will forget!"

No problem.

Cheers

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2010 21:43 Edited at: 12th Aug 2010 21:44
Its great that you are doing this, much appreciated

It would be interesting to note the difference in fps between peoples desktop/laptops and the netbook tests.

My game runs at 220fps on my laptop, specs:

CPU Section
Processor Name
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
Processor Manufacturer
Intel
Processor Speed (Mhz)

Graphics
Graphic Card Name
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470
Total Graphics Memory (MB)

I will try and get a test ready for this saturday, if not it will be next saturday.
My laptop has the physics multithreaded which I presume the atom will not do, I would expect a huge drop for that reason alone.

Anyway, any opinions on what our fps should be around(approx) on our own computers would be helpful.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2010 17:44
I would once again, like to remind everyone that the resolution for this competition is 1024x600. I've just had to e-mail back to a couple of entry authors because.

1) A user submitted an entry with the resolution set to 1024x768, on netbook's this produces the error.

Runtime Error 1507 - Display using 32 bit not supported by available hardware at line x

The line the user used was

Set Display Mode 1024, 768, 32

The error was fixed by changing it to

Set Display Mode 1024, 600, 32

But no entry is going to win, if the first thing it does is throw up an error.

2) Another user sent in a game that ran at the correct resolution, however the game used sprites, specifically as a font system. When I ran the game, only one quarter of the fonts appeared. Giving it a very nasty look.

If you need to check your graphics, on a display that doesn't support 1024x600 natively you can do so easy by setting the game to window mode, then using the Set Display command to adjust the window size to 1024x600, you don't have to keep the game in window mode, in fact I recommend using Full screen exclusive mode wherever possible. But it will allow to you to check your hud, graphics, sprites and other visual markers to make sure the positioning is correct.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2010 18:05
Dan, I'm just wondering, did a user set their game to run at the wrond resolution? I'm just sure I read about it somewhere...

I want robotic legs.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2010 22:27
I think I heard something similar ^

Must be a coincidence.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2010 23:25 Edited at: 10th Sep 2010 23:25
Hi Daniel TGC, is it okay that I put the download link for my game to be tested here, or do you prefer that I email that link to you? Or, do you prefer the DropBox?

Thanks

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm just posing it here and sending a link to it...10.9 MB... I don't really care if anyone looks at what I'm attaching. If you don't want the community seeing what you have don't post it here, otherwise I don't see why not.

swis

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2010 01:37
Hi Daniel TGC,

I've sent you an email a couple of days ago, with the download link to my game BRIXOID. Did you get it, and did you get the time to test it out?
My game is practically finished, so maybe it's better to send you the latest version to test? I'll post it tomorrow or send you the download link by email.

Thanks for your time.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2010 01:35
Hi Daniel, could you try my game for me please?
I forgot to display the fps
There are a couple of bugs, most now have been fixed, I will try to get a newer version up in the next day or so.
I know it will probably be Saturday now, thats fine, I just posted in case you had any time before then.
I have tried it on about four machines but none have been a netbook, thanks.

http://cid-8c5eaefec8ad94ec.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Documents/Hot%20Goblins%20Alpha.zip

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2010 03:31
Sorry guys, I put clear submission instructions up. Because I've been busy with support mails, checking entries and my other duties I wasn't able to visit the forum as much as I liked. And when I did it was typically with a purpose.

In future, please read the submission instructions carefully, and if you have questions remember TGC Staff members are very busy! So it's best to contact via e-mail, rather than post here hoping I'll have the time to check.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 11:28:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 11:28:53