Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / [X9] [BOTB] HMS Diptera Full Version

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2010 20:17 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2012 23:29

Developer: BootStudios

Story: I'm John Reid, employed by SecureSafe.inc, the largest private security corporation in the universe. I've been attached to the HMS Diptera which is the leading spacecraft in interstellar cargo transport as security. I begin my third placement on the ship in 3 days as just another security guard unable to be trusted with what's been placed in classified storage again. Every time I've been posted on the Diptera a fresh batch has been sent to it's destination. Anyway, I've gotta go complete my radiation crash course. Eng of log.

Description: Whilst beginning your normal patrol route on the HMS Diptera a radiation wave hits the ship and strange things start to get uncovered... You play as John Reid, just another security guard placed on the night shift.

[center]DOWNLOADS

http://www.northernfoxmedia.com/?option=downloads&task=info&id=397

Special Thanks To:

Scott Stoked
Abdul Ahad
Marc 'sweet cheeks' Steene

Bug Fixes:

Get stuck and unable to continue the game: press the '*' key

The game doesn't start due to an unrecognised file type: add .exe the end of the file name

This is the full release of the game! Not the demo.

Enjoy and leave a review

[/center]

PekelaarSFX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2010 21:57
1 Word: AWESOME!

Good going lad!

Keep it up !

Zwarte Piet
Years of Service
User Offline
How do you open this file , my windows vista says unknown type.

"I would rather make a bad model, instead of pirate a great one" MY DAD
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2010 02:09
Just played it, first FPSC game in 2 years and it was quite good. The voice acting added a lot to the quality of the game. Even though the levels where really short, less than 5 minutes each, it was fun. I did find I got stuck in certain areas and had to restart the game. The end boss was pretty easy to kill, I just stayed inside the vent and shot him

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0Ghz, 2.0GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz, ATI Radeon Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X
FPSCGames
User Banned
Posted: 30th Aug 2010 03:11
HMS Diptera Full Version!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES i'm going to download it now I Loved the demo so so much and now i get to play it thank you so much!!!

Vent
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2010 03:53 Edited at: 30th Aug 2010 03:55
Quote: "Zwarte Piet"

Add .exe to the end of the name, it worked for me.

Review

Pros:
It felt really good, it felt like I was on a ship designed for being a home, and not a big buildng with a space skybox, the voice acting was good and it made it feel more like I was in the game.

I also loved the loading screens.

Cons:
It was quite short and the end boss was pretty easy, but I like that it was set up with an end boss, made it feel like a more classic game.

This may sound chessy, but at one point I did forget that it was an FPSC game, overall it was really well done.

6/5 (You win an extra point for having an ad for a weapon powered by Orphan Tears)

-JS

Vent Media - Free FPSC Media
Bootlicker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2010 11:18
Quote: "How do you open this file , my windows vista says unknown type.
"

It worked perfect for me first time, but I use XP. Anyhoo, try VENT's idea and just add .exe to the end of the file name.

Quote: "Just played it, first FPSC game in 2 years and it was quite good. The voice acting added a lot to the quality of the game. Even though the levels where really short, less than 5 minutes each, it was fun. I did find I got stuck in certain areas and had to restart the game. The end boss was pretty easy to kill, I just stayed inside the vent and shot him "

Thanks I tried to make the levels not too long so build errors were reduced. And the boss, well you little cheat!

Quote: "Add .exe to the end of the name, it worked for me.

Review

Pros:
It felt really good, it felt like I was on a ship designed for being a home, and not a big buildng with a space skybox, the voice acting was good and it made it feel more like I was in the game.

I also loved the loading screens.

Cons:
It was quite short and the end boss was pretty easy, but I like that it was set up with an end boss, made it feel like a more classic game.

This may sound chessy, but at one point I did forget that it was an FPSC game, overall it was really well done.

6/5 (You win an extra point for having an ad for a weapon powered by Orphan Tears)

-JS"

Thanks for the kind words

Does anyone think that this can make BOTB?

da2020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2010 12:25
downloading now! judging in those screenshots this looks pretty good
darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2010 14:55
I think it has a good chance at making it.

PekelaarSFX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2010 16:23 Edited at: 30th Aug 2010 16:24
Indeed, Played it and loved it, Endboss was quite easy to beat .
5/5 Overall Framerate was good, around 50FPS at my Pc

Hope you make it to be BOTB

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
I really enjoyed it.
The only flaw is that the story flow just died off after
the mutants appeared in the Secret Cargo bay. The mutants were
cool but there is no real explanation for them. They kind of didn't
fit the way that stood either. If the Captain or whatever had yelled,
"The radiation has ripped right through our shields!" Then maybe he
could scream in pain and you get the idea people changed to mutants
or something.

If you make a similar game in the future, try to make a better
sense of it. I had fun playing it however. I don't want to say that
the enemies ruined the game.

I would clearly give it a 8/10.

Bootlicker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2010 18:20
Quote: "I really enjoyed it.
The only flaw is that the story flow just died off after
the mutants appeared in the Secret Cargo bay. The mutants were
cool but there is no real explanation for them. They kind of didn't
fit the way that stood either. If the Captain or whatever had yelled,
"The radiation has ripped right through our shields!" Then maybe he
could scream in pain and you get the idea people changed to mutants
or something.

If you make a similar game in the future, try to make a better
sense of it. I had fun playing it however. I don't want to say that
the enemies ruined the game.

I would clearly give it a 8/10."

yeah, it was made originally just as a side project with no story, the only reason that there is a story is because its compulsory.

I'm hoping my entry for your comp will be better than this

Bootlicker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2010 23:24
ok. seems a little weird the demo is getting more comments. so

BUMP

Bootlicker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2010 19:53
bumpity bumpy bump

vortech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2010 21:52
Downloading... Let's check what it looks like.

Check for pure horror.
Kilgore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2010 15:36
Played it through and agree with the other comments.

If you extend it, I think it might be good to have a journal prompt for objectives, just in case you save and come back to it and forget what you're supposed to do next.

Also, maybe you can set it up so that the player can't hide in the vent at the end

Generally, I like the level design and atmosphere, and the voice acting was good as well. Could make a very interesting longer game if you expand the story element. Good job.
vortech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2010 14:22
IT was nice. But here are the crits:

Cons
Easy and short (I didn't died any single time)
Not Scardy (I know it tried to be)
Too much heltor.
You could kill boss by just being in vent, so it wont kill you.
opjects without shader wont fit in shadered world

Good
Level design was nice.
Shader effects were good
not too much enemies.

It was good game but not the best one.
I give 6/10 to this becouse of Easiness

Check for pure horror.
Esipode
Years of Service
User Offline
( I don't mean to bump an old thread but...)

I'm having trouble opening the file. It's not the 'unknown file type' thing, It's telling me I don't have appropriate permission to access the file. And i'm the administrator! Can anyone help me sort this out? I would really like to try this game.
Bootlicker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2010 18:24
Quote: "Bug Fixes:

Get stuck and unable to continue the game: press the '*' key

The game doesn't start due to an unrecognised file type: add .exe the end of the file name

"

have fun

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2010 19:58
Quote: "The game doesn't start due to an unrecognised file type: add .exe the end of the file name"

But Episode said;
Quote: "It's not the 'unknown file type' thing, It's telling me I don't have appropriate permission to access the file. And i'm the administrator! Can anyone help me sort this out? I would really like to try this game. "

Bootlicker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2010 19:56
hmm, i have no idea. What OS are you using?

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2010 13:23 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2010 13:29
I just played the full version twice and here is my review.

The Good:
- level design
One of the best SF levels I've ever seen. Segments and entities blend perfectly (also compliments to CP for his outstanding work!). Door switches from time to time instead of everything auto was also good for adding a little realism. And I loved the use of half-open/blocked doors in the last act. As allready mentioned the whole interior appears quite realistic and believable (for a game )
- voice acting
Really adds to the game and is pro quality.
- lighting
It's not that dark that it becomes annoying but dark enough to create atmosphere. It might be much darker than it would be in reality but I just told myself it's probably the graveyard shift on board.
- plasma gun
Not only is it a cool weapon but also the way to acquire it adds some story element.
- menu
The menu between levels was a nice touch, although personally I would have liked technical data more than jokes. But it added another professional element to the game.
- huds
I don't like numbered health or counting bullets so the health/ammo hud was perfect for me. The other huds where also well designed.
- music
Not breathtaking but very fiiting to the visual design and theme.
- custom media
Apart from the plasma gun it was only the computer screens and the wall mounted direction signs but these did a lot for realism AND playability

The Bad:
- the oldest trick
I really don't dig mobs popping out of thin air behind the player. Why not have it sit on a raised room part and jump down so the player might think "I should have looked up!"
- story
Although I didn't find the story too thin I was confused if the radiation/shield-down has actually brought something on board, mutated the crew or woken something up inside the restricted area. A little more hints for the player wouldn't hurt.
- vanishing crew
After the player returns to the starting area everything is a mess but there is not much blood or any trace of the NPCs we saw at the start. Since they looked like security they should have put up a fight and either their or the intruders bodies should be found.

The Ugly:
- pop-up huds
Although well designed, they weren't too easy to read and a bit in the way every time.

On my personal FPSC game scale its a 4+ out of 5 and I'd call it "A perfect example for a decent FPSC game"

Imo it has definitely BOTB potential.

Things that might enhance the game imho are:
- Adding blood/bodies of crew/enemies in the wrecked starting area
- Adding lot of combat noise/screams over the intercom when the starting area gets attacked
- Adding a solid explanation where the enemies came from.

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2010 15:26
Hey!! The Storyteller's back!!

Great review man!!!

Abdul Ahad
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2010 15:36
Very nice honest concise review there TST

Bootlicker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2010 19:10
Quote: "I just played the full version twice and here is my review.
"
Quote: "On my personal FPSC game scale its a 4+ out of 5 and I'd call it "A perfect example for a decent FPSC game""
Quote: "Imo it has definitely BOTB potential."

Thanks!

I should have really added some gore at the end to show them other NPC's, ah well. I'll make sure I do little details like that next time

I still havent heard anything from Tharaxas from like, 2-3 months ago. Hmm, should I send another email?

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2010 01:55
Quote: "I still havent heard anything from Tharaxas from like, 2-3 months ago. Hmm, should I send another email?"

Thraxas is on a break at the moment from what I gather. Don't quote me on this, but I *think* that KeithC has dropped in to manage the showcase until he gets back. If I was you, I'd drop him a quick email (Apologies to KeithC if I'm wrong about this).
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2010 05:51
I downloaded and played the demo. It crashed my new system just like it did to my old system. I had to uninstall and reinstall my NVIDIA drivers just to get my system back again (it affected COD4 in the same manner as before, as well as several other areas).

I'm sorry; I don't know what it is, but I won't be trying this game out anymore. Too much trouble for me. I've got a brand new Alienware with a an NVIDIA GTX 460; I shouldn't have any issues. If another Mod can get it running and recommend it, that's fine; but I'm no taking the chance again.

-Keith

Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2010 22:43
Quote: "I downloaded and played the demo. It crashed my new system just like it did to my old system. I had to uninstall and reinstall my NVIDIA drivers just to get my system back again (it affected COD4 in the same manner as before, as well as several other areas).

I'm sorry; I don't know what it is, but I won't be trying this game out anymore. Too much trouble for me. I've got a brand new Alienware with a an NVIDIA GTX 460; I shouldn't have any issues. If another Mod can get it running and recommend it, that's fine; but I'm no taking the chance again."

Did you run it as admin, and download the drivers from the site not the CD? also make sure that UAC is off.

Putting fear back into sliced bread since 4th May 2010
Bootlicker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2010 23:27
Quote: "Thraxas is on a break at the moment from what I gather. Don't quote me on this, but I *think* that KeithC has dropped in to manage the showcase until he gets back. If I was you, I'd drop him a quick email (Apologies to KeithC if I'm wrong about this)."

hmm, i think i might

Quote: "I downloaded and played the demo. It crashed my new system just like it did to my old system. I had to uninstall and reinstall my NVIDIA drivers just to get my system back again (it affected COD4 in the same manner as before, as well as several other areas).

I'm sorry; I don't know what it is, but I won't be trying this game out anymore. Too much trouble for me. I've got a brand new Alienware with a an NVIDIA GTX 460; I shouldn't have any issues. If another Mod can get it running and recommend it, that's fine; but I'm no taking the chance again.
"

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, i have no idea why that would happen. I would try to offer you one without all the fancy icon and just the default one but i had to wipe my pc. Hmm, thanks for trying I really appreciate it

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2010 04:10
Quote: "Did you run it as admin, and download the drivers from the site not the CD? also make sure that UAC is off."

There's no way that those issues would be caused by the above.

The computer automatically downloaded the drivers once rebooting. When I play COD4; there is stretched geometry everywhere. Even Youtube videos were affected (video only, not audio). Everything's fine now; but I won't take that chance anymore. I played Virus 2 and others with no issues at all (it uses PB 1.7 too).

-Keith

Gibba gobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2010 05:08
for some reason the segment textures keep switching randomly to different textures, including entity maps! is there a way to fix this?
otherwise, great game!

Pingas. Period.
The Unofficial Migration Suggestion Board
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=166736&b=26
Bootlicker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2011 12:35
I have no idea about that anyone else got the same problem? try reinstalling

HMS Diptera is now available on splattergames

sic1ne
Years of Service
User Offline
looks pretty cool im going to try it out!

[img]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6489/scin1e.jpg
[/img]
BSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2011 16:16
I agree, it looks nice.
Bootlicker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2011 18:18
bump.

asus117
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there any way i can get that hud???
virtualpsycho
Years of Service
User Offline
Loved it, scared me all right...

Well done.
Bootlicker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 00:41
bumpity bump

Desecrated Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 05:48
Bumpity bumpy bump? XD

-Josh
Website is under construction
System Specs: AMD Phenom x3 2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 1TB HD, HD Radeon 5770 1GB, 22in Acer Monitor
Bootlicker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 18:42
a special thanks to exu corporations who recorded the whole game. can be seen in the first post ;D

Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 23:13
Epic, reminded me a lot of Beyond Life though. Still great none-the-less though.

The voices in my head said I'm normal... o.0
Desecrated Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 02:55
Quote: "a special thanks to exu corporations"

Yeah!! XD

Bootlicker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 19:56
Quote: "Epic, reminded me a lot of Beyond Life though. Still great none-the-less though.
"

really? cool, ill take that as a compliment. but, if you dont mind me asking, how were they similar apart from a spaceship? xD

Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2011 03:52
I just remember that a part of Beyond Life was this big rush that you needed to restore or turn off the shields for some reason, and that you had to make it to this major computer to do it.

It was only a few little moments that reminded me, most of it was new.

The voices in my head said I'm normal... o.0
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2011 22:51
Congratulations on your new shiny Badge.

-Keith

Bootlicker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2011 23:21
OH MY HOLY GOD. wow, man am i proud

could you just clear up on what i need to do and what i need to submit?

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2011 23:26
Congratulations, Bootlicker. We enjoyed playing this, and the game play/feel/atmosphere was perfect. A good story line that has the potential to expand into other titles/sequels.

Twitter: @NFoxMedia
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 26th Sep 2011 23:37
Congratulations Bootlicker. Very well done. All you need to do is sit back and enjoy the badge.

Brian.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2011 00:13
Yep; you're in the Club now! Just remember that attitude also plays a part of all BOTB Holders.

-Keith

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2011 00:16 Edited at: 27th Sep 2011 00:17
Double....

Send me what's in the Submission packet here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=162211&b=35

That way I can add you to the BOTB list in the showcase sticky here!

....oh, and...thread title has been updated.

-Keith

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:23:44
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:23:44