Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [How to get your game done] 10 Checkpoints

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 11:36
Hi!

Some of you might think this thread is pointless, but I write it anyway. I see all these abandoned projects on the WIP Boards and I think that there are only a few things to watch in order to get a game done.

Write a conecpt/story that truly inspires and fascinates you. Do not start to make a ripoff of the last movie you saw or game you playes. Try to create something thats really about you're interests. Most projects that are fangames or started after the author was to the cinema are abandoned a few weeks later.

2 Do something you CAN do! its no use if you want to make a huge 50 Levels game with an epic storyline if you just started fpsc. Make something small and let it grow. Do not try to add complicated features veteran users do just because its cool if you do not yet understand how it actually works.

3 Its not about the internet. I feel that some users only work on their projects and make screenshots just to get comments from the community. Do not do this! If you have nothing to show yet...do not post yet! The mainfocus should be on the project. I would also recommend to worry about the homepage as soon as the game is done and ready to download. Set prioritys there.

But on the other site: A thread on these forums can really help since people here know what they are doing and can give you advices.

4 Practice first!
Try to fully understand how to operate FPSC before you start your first project. Basic knowledge about scripting, shading, modeling and texturing is also useful.

5 If you can't do anything, then don't!
There are those people out there that try to hire others for leveldesign, sound, modeling, texturing and storywriting... I wonder what these guys are actually doing themselves...
anyway, such projects usually fail. So don't do it.

6 Please do not try to copy another game. Of course, getting inspired and adding similar features of/by other games is cool, but please don't try to make an exact copy of it. Thats just stealing.

7 Try to collect a base of models and media before you start. Its always useful to have a small collection of media to start mapping right away. Do not waste hours collecting models and textures: Try to add stuff you need while you are mapping. That way you have first results much faster...and remember...something somewhere is always missing

Try to do your own thing. Just because everyone is doing a horror shooter does not mean that you have to do one too!

Don't overtime on your project. Nobody wants you to sit a whole weekend behind your screen. One hour a day is really enough. If you work too much on it, it will annoy you sooner or later and the creativity will be replaced by routine...don't do it.

10Having friends helping you out is awesome but do not try to play gamestudio via messenger. Its nearly impossible to send maps from one fpsc to another and work in groups on it. Some projects made like this have been done, but most fail...so don't do it

Thanks for reading

-Wolf

God Helps the Beast in Me!
JaredxD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 11:43
Thanks Wolf,
I'm sure this will be helpful for many!!

Boom.
Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Wolf.It will be helpful.I will try this all tips and have a great days MR.Wolf.

Quote: "Don't overtime on your project. Nobody wants you to sit a whole weekend behind your screen. One hour a day is really enough. If you work too much on it, it will annoy you sooner or later and the creativity will be replaced by routine...don't do it."

Yeah I remember when I make Legacy Warfare 2.I make 2 level in 10 hours and I have gone idea and creativity.Thanks for this.

From
Leon

Hello.There is my pics.And nice to meet all modeller,designer and many more
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 14:32
@Wolf, you spoke from my very heart, especially with points 1-3 & 5

Quote: "7 Try to collect a base of models and media before you start. Its always useful to have a small collection of media to start mapping right away. Do not waste hours collecting models and textures: Try to add stuff you need while you are mapping. That way you have first results much faster...and remember...something somewhere is always missing "

There is a slight contradiction in point 7 but I guess what you are getting at

Furthermore in my opinion everyone starting out with FPSC should first grab all the HQ Free BIG packs containing SEGMENTS, like everything from CosmicProphet, Wolf's Fantasy packs, Buckethead's Tomb Pack, Wizardofid's Stock Media Upgrade (just to name a few) instead of downloading every single entity they can get. You cannot mix 'n match all media together, it has to have be coherent look.

Characters, weapons and decals are important but finally it's about the SEGMENTS building the core of a games look. So first one needs the right segments to start and then it's time for the eye candy. It' no use spending all the money on weapon packs and then one can't afford the segments, buildings & skyboxes.

Again, I have so say @Wolf, you spoke from my heart! Have a

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 15:33 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2010 15:34
Nice post, Wolf! Good idea!

I would recommend to really stress that it is a good idea to have ones owns first game be a small one level game, be it with stock media or not. I haven't followed this rule myself... and I've suffered from it quite some time

mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 17:09 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2010 17:09
Awesome Wolf. I always hate it when people make amazing rooms and forget one of the most important factor ''Gameplay''. A game could look like crysis, but if there is nothing to do in the game, it'll be boring.
So always think about the gameplay

''We don't play Art, we play games''

Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.
da2020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 10:09
Thanks Wolf! I feel glad to receive some good advice from someone who has already finished many projects well I kinda disagree with the 9th checkpoint though , cause before I start designing on FPSC it's already planned on a piece of paper and all I have to do is to revise it and viola!, so the timing is fine.
LondonKid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 20:29
Spoken like a true pro...sound words Wolf-brilliant.

I, myself have had FPSC for nearly a year now, an remember getting all excited in doing the next FAR CRY game (so to speak) but,like you said, spending hours in front of the screen really does put you off-plus you don't learn anything methodological just by hacking away on the fly...one does need to learn techniques of what the engine is capable off before it is put into practice. And to practice making samples before applying the those techniques an methods to your final project.

Just look at FPSC itself-that must have taken several years from conception to design to programming, an its still evolving.

Lets hope all newcomers adhere to these wise words, an i think these should be made into the 10 Commandments of FPSC...

Again - nice job dude...

~LK~
TheDuck027
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2010 03:35
Thanks, Wolf! This really helped. I just got the full version of FPSC, so I am a TOTAL noob at all this stuff. This helped alot!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 23:22:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 23:22:01