Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / LRMod by DarkGoblin

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2011 05:56 Edited at: 12th Jun 2011 17:52

What exactly is LRMod?
LRMod is a Mod, always based on the current FPS Creator version with the goal to include dynamic shadows to FPS Creator, while keeping the static lightmapping system, so the dynamic shadows can be used where needed.
With this in mind it also tries to keep the framerate on a high level by only using a limited amount of dynamic lights on screen.

How can I get LRMod?
Right now LRMod cannot be downloaded as it is currently in development. A download will appear after the work on the mod has done. This thread is for posting new information about the mod and also giving you the ability to ask questions.

Will this be in an official update?
It is currently not planned to add LRMod to the official FPSC updates, as it needs a lot of work on the user side, to get the dynamic shadows working correctly, which mainly has to do with changing shaders.

Website Link
http://lrmod.fps-creator.eu/

Media

Working list

= Done and finished
= Working on, needs more testing
= Does not work right now
= Not yet started

Things that can possibly not be done:
- Use spot lights instead of point lights (would kill the lighting, tried, does not work)
- Implement real portal culling for FPSC based universe(because of the stupid behaviour of FPSC Segments)
- Dynamically calculate if a light is visible for the player (see "portal culling" reference)
- Lower performance drop with a lot of lights on screen (DarkBasic related problem with dynamic cubemaps)

Things that could be hard but possible:
- Add ambient occlusion
- Try to use something like portal culling on the dynamic shadow objects --> Not normal FPSC segments(so they are only visible when needed --> need to find a portal culling example)

Things that should be possible:
- Add a script for trigger zones to switch on/off a specific light (so the creator can set them active or not)
- Let the lighting renderer not run at full-screen resolution (better framerate)
- Get basic shader for every possible object type (entity dynamic/static; segment static)
- Fix bugs with new water (some reflection issues)
- Merge with latest available FPSC version (should not be a big problem)
- Fix animation and/or position/rotation of dynamic objects (so they don't flip around when colliding with player)
- Add newest Advanced Lighting version for performance improvements (should also be not that difficult)
- Maybe adjust shadows to be more smooth (not cut-off at the edge to the object --> need to find a way to do something like edge detect and only smooth shadows on object edges)

## Non-lighting related features - ONLY IDEAS ##
- Add real-time Depth of Field (could be very hard)
- Add pixel based motion blur (could be very hard too)
- Add real-time color correction based on overall screen color --> has to use my combined bloom/filmgrain shader

Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2011 07:01
Very nice. Coming along great.

Nothing but coffee in my veins 'Insomnia is Coming'
uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2011 08:41
amazing,can you make the dymanic lights move? i'll be keeping my eye on this, keep it up
any major bugs so far?

good frame rates matter...
creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2011 18:04
Nice work DG, although I would like to raise question an earlier notion which you mentioned:
Quote: "as it needs a lot of work on the user side, to get the dynamic shadows working correctly, which mainly has to do with changing shaders."

In my opinion, this shouldn't deter you from implementing, what is a great addition into the source code of FPSC. Most on the forum, like myself are advanced users concerning FPSC; and have knowledge concerning how to use advanced shader techniques. I think not implementing something as "current gen" into FPSC itself, due to the less capable amongst us, would be punishing the ones who are advanced enough to use such a feature. Just my thoughts anyway, it seems we are catering more to the (I use this term loosely) "N00b" user, at the expense of the more experienced users; thus depriving them of a great feature.

CoZ

"The Coz-enator
AMD Phenom II 555 Black Edition @ 4Ghz | ATI 5970 2GB |2GB Geil DDR2 | 160 WD Caviar Blue HDD | Corsair HX520W PSU
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2011 18:33 Edited at: 7th Jan 2011 18:41
Well the problem is coz that it would change the whole system and you would not be able to use FPSC unless you change the shaders so they are rendered like they should.
If all the shader that come with metro theater and the newest update etc would be updated by TGC (and I could also provide the changed shader so they just need to create an update) I could change my mind about adding it into the official version, but for now I leave this as a Mod.

Also all the experienced member of the forum can pick up the mod and start using it after I finished it.
But I dont want to see hundreds of threads with "Why does my lighting in FPSC do not work" etc.

Hope you understand that.
I will release the Mod for sure, after I finished it so you can than start to use it. Also it is based on the current source code and will hopefully be easy to port to newer source code versions, you will always have the latest FPSC version if you are using the Mod.

But thanks for the comment!

EDIT:
to answer some of the questions above:

The Mod has no major bugs so far as it does not change anything on the original FPSC code. So all weapons and Character work as before.

Also I could make the lights moveable. For now they are not connected to the normal lights in the editor, so I havent started doing all the scripting stuff.

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
Superb Work, Dark Goblin!

Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2011 00:44
Spectacular works as always, DG. Keep on rockin'!

Press the Rösta-button to vote!
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2011 16:40
Wow. This is going to be a huge feature for FPSC.

If it doesn't go into the official engine I'll be using this mod for sure. I'm sure as its an optional thing (static lightmapping can still be used) it should be ok to add it.

Can't wait for this. Thanks Dark Goblin

Woolfman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2011 19:38
Very nice. I'm really liking what your doing with lights and shadows. Yours Light Rays are great and this looks fantastic too.
AeroFiles
Years of Service
User Offline
awesome stuff
I want to make a game with unique segments and entities, but think I will wait until the fpsc beta is done, and your light ray plus dynamic shadows mod is working

AeroFiles - addon content developer for fps creator (store)
ZockerX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2011 00:24
Hey guys,

I've created two new videos for DarkGoblin.
In this videos I show you the nice dynamic shadow effect of LRMod.

Check it out:

Video #1

Video #2

Leave feedback for our DG.

Greetings ZockerX

Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2011 21:56
This is interesting, with this, we can in theory make a flash light that uses the dynamic shadow system. Which in turn, the light source will move the shadow as the flash light moves.

Putting fear back into sliced bread since 4th May 2010
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2011 22:39
Will this be integrate withh an other mod like pb

Srry about my english im from sweeden
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2011 02:50
More vids please this mod is looking just great.

I'd like to see a character in the next one. The dynamic shadows must look sick when there is someone moving around.

I'm particularly impressed with how the shadows are being projected onto the floor and the walls. Can't wait for this.

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
Nomad, Please Get online on MSN

Ontopic: Awesome VIDS!

...What its not Over,what brings darkness, Thats where i'm going.
Wraith Staff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2011 04:10
Quote: "Will this be integrate withh an other mod like pb"

I really hope so

Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
As I already told in this thread, I will not go Open Source with it so it will not be integrated in PB or anything else!

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2011 18:06
If you want this included in the Mod Section of the Master Sticky, just send me all the pertinent info in the format that the other Mods are laid out in.

-Keith

Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
Would love that, but I can not send you an email on the adress you have in your profil.
It comes back with an error that the adress was not found.

Hope you find another way so I can give you the details you need.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2011 18:48 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2011 18:49
That's odd; no one else seems to have that problem, as I get emails all the time from members?

You could always leave all the details here, and I could copy/paste it then. After which I could delete that particular post, if you wish.

-Keith

Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
Tried it again, now it seems to work.
If I get the error again, I will edit my post and paste all information here.

After you added it to the thread, than you could delete that part of my post.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2011 19:16
Received your email; will add it when I get back. Thanks.

-Keith

ZockerX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2011 00:14
Hey guys,

here is a new video that shows you the great dynamic shadow effect in association with characters and doors.

Check it out:

Greetings ZockerX

DarkFrost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2011 00:45
looks incredible!

[img][/img]
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2011 03:29
Quote: "here is a new video that shows you the great dynamic shadow effect in association with characters and doors."

Ok the last video was really impressive but this one had my jaw on the floor. This is truly incredible.

Huge thanks to Dark Goblin for working on this.

Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2011 04:13
Is this using bonds character shadow Dark? The only problem I can think of is Dark, we will not be able to use any other features from other mods if we use this. For instance, most of the scripts that make up my game are from PB. I also do multi-player games which require the FPSC IP 4.0 source. So there is no way you are releasing the source?

Putting fear back into sliced bread since 4th May 2010
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2011 04:41
OK; you're officially in the Master Mod List.

-Keith

Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2011 06:10
Dynamic shadows on stuff, Great job, Really looking nice.

Nothing but coffee in my veins 'Insomnia is Coming'
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Is this using bonds character shadow Dark?"

ehm no? This is a complete dynamic shadow rendering system which exactly does not need bond1 "dynamic shadows". I also like them but this system has true shadows on every geometry.

Quote: "OK; you're officially in the Master Mod List. "

Thanks.

Quote: "Huge thanks to Dark Goblin for working on this."

Thanks for this nice comment.

PowerEye
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow this is amazing Dyanmic lighting that moves im impressed this could maybe just maybe be the new EFX with a few nice features good luck just

Remember once the power always the power

Once the power always the power
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2011 08:10
Impressive video!

Imagine what a flashlight or torch would do to a game with a light system like this...

Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow FPSC are good engine for independent developer.Very very thank you for making this mod I think you are helping TGC to further.As I seen FPSC V1 is bad graphic but now V1.17 and V1.18 are awsome.I think someday FPSC can beat all game engine in the world!!!

Have A Good Day

From
Leon

Poloflece,Anayar,PWP,Henry Ham,Cosmic Prophet,Wolf,KeithC,Nickydude And Lee Bamber is my icon.
uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2011 08:21
WOW! this looks amazing, will the player's gun react with the shadows, but not cast one.

what graphics card did you use in the vids?

good frame rates matter...
Woolfman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2011 09:08
VERY! Nice work Dark Goblin. That is some really great news. That video showing off the Door and Characters is fantastic.

Quick questions How many lights Per level is going to be allowed and Do they have to be dynamic or static to get your shadows?
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, thats a lot of comments xD
So I am going to answer some of them.

Quote: "what graphics card did you use in the vids?"

Dont exactly know which graphics cards Zocker used but I use an ATI 4870 and it runs smooth with 60FPS.

Quote: "Quick questions How many lights Per level is going to be allowed and Do they have to be dynamic or static to get your shadows? "

There will be 8 lights that can cast shadows at once.
So you can have exactly 8 lights casting shadows on screen at once (like normal FPSC dynamic light system).
They also need to be dynamic, as this will use the dynamic light data which is passed from the level into the engine to calculate the shadows.

Quote: "Imagine what a flashlight or torch would do to a game with a light system like this..."

Flashlight is something which I want to add into the Mod, so you can have a flashlight with shadows.
Quote: "
this could maybe just maybe be the new EFX with a few nice features good luck just "

It could be... who knows

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2011 18:11
LR Mod is better than EFX because its based on the latest FPSC source which already has adaptive bloom, water and more features than EFX.

So can we have lots of dynamic lights in a map providing there is only 8 in view at once or 8 dynamic lights in total?

It appears you are using segment shaders bond1 released with the V117/V118 updates. Will the dynamic shadows work with bond1's new normal map segment shader also?

This is the 1st time we've seen a properly integrated dynamic lighting / shadow system in FPSC and its looking brilliant. I'm still amazed how the shadows are being projected onto the walls and ceiling.

You seem to be making very good progress considering how long this mod has been in development.

Woolfman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2011 19:06
I just have to echo Nomad Soul. It is indeed fantastic work in such a little amount of time.
Thanks for the answers. Can't wait for what comes next.
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "So can we have lots of dynamic lights in a map providing there is only 8 in view at once or 8 dynamic lights in total?
"

You can have an unlimited amount of lights but only 8 will be rendered (or 6, will see --> has to do with performance)

Quote: "It appears you are using segment shaders bond1 released with the V117/V118 updates. Will the dynamic shadows work with bond1's new normal map segment shader also?"

All shaders that work with FPSC 117/118 will work in LRMod. Thats what I want to have and what will be done. So you get everything plus dynamic lights.

Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
Is that shadow only work with model that has D,D2,N,S map?

Have A Good Day

From
Leon

Poloflece,Anayar,PWP,Henry Ham,Cosmic Prophet,Wolf,KeithC,Nickydude And Lee Bamber is my icon.
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
The textures do not matter at all.
You could also use a model with only a diffuse texture and give it a diffuse shader so it is only rendered with its plain diffuse textur. Than apply the changeds to the shader and thats it.

Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh my god thats really really cool!!!!.Thanks for anwering.

Have A Good Day

From
Leon

opposite shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Ive seen everyone talking about what works on what and so on and I'm just wondering if the muzzle flash effects the shadows. Because if it does then eai's led lights would make a good test video.

Just a sugestion

here to help - oppshadow
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
I havent started testing with weapons yet.
But as they use dynamic lights it should work perfectly.

Also I will not need eai's led lights to get a flashlight. I will integrate one right from the beginning just by pressing the "F" key.

But nice suggestion thanks

Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys, ZockerX did a new video of the newest version of the Mod, check it out:

It now features a Flashlight and also the shadows are now also rendered for objects with animations.

Leave me some comments please ;D

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2011 23:33
That is another thing FPSC desperately needs, great work DG.

Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2011 10:27
FPSC takes another leap forward! I have to congratulate on this since it's a huge achievement!

Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2011 11:32
This looks great, do you have new plans on what you will be adding or editing next?

"Fromage Cake"
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a lot of plans, but I need to get this one here working first. Than I will do some other things.

Will tell you about it after I started them.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2011 18:41 Edited at: 1st Feb 2011 18:42
This mod is an unbelievable achievement for FPSC. If its not added to the official engine then I think this will be the most popular mod.

@Dark Goblin

Do you know how much this mod is going to cost? I would gladly pay for a unified lighting and shadow system in FPSC.

I really hope you get this working with all bond1 shaders. That will make this mod perfect.

Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2011 12:53 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2011 12:54
Yes i have to agree, if this will not be included in the official engine. Then this would probably be the most popular mod.
So Lee really has to look over this and try to include this in an official update.

Also do you think "Ambient-occlusion" is possible to add in FPSC?
Not that i am requesting this feature, but merely wondering if it was possible.

"Fromage Cake"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 05:55:29
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 05:55:29