Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / BlueIDE - Screenshots (800K) & Info

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 21:32 Edited at: 15th Nov 2003 01:08
[Update 14th November - Beta 1 Release 1]: http://blueide.sf.net

> This update fixes the problems Type Mismatch etc. from Release 3, it also auto-registers and installs the required OCX files.

> See Page 2 for Release 3 changes.

=======================================================

I started a new topic, otherwise the other one would have had over 1MB of pics on one page.

BlueIDE is an open source, freeware IDE, coming along well so far. All the basics are now in, and core features mentioned in the other thread, plus new features:

- One click 2D/3D Media Browser
- Code Library
- Extra compile information (Program Trace, Line details, Compile stage)
- Improved variable listing (now shows var type)
- Full plugin support

Code Library:

Project Settings:

Media Browser:

Source Info:

About:

Compile Error Dialog:

Compile Stage Info:

BLUE GUI Plugin: http://blue.robert-knight.net / BLUE IDE [href]http://blueide.sf.net/ - Replacement editor for DBPro[/href]
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 22:01
Wow looks awesome Rob K!

Any chance you'll already intergrate some of(or all) your gadgets from your BLUE plugin? Might be a good idea if you're planning on selling it.(sorry if I missed that in your previous post.)

Also, I read a topic in the DBP section about a new "help file", any chance of adding that to this interface? Might be something good to think about.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 22:25 Edited at: 11th Oct 2003 22:26
Quote: "Might be a good idea if you're planning on selling it."

Blue IDE is open source freeware (The Media Browser is closed-source though)

Quote: "Also, I read a topic in the DBP section about a new "help file", any chance of adding that to this interface? "

Very good idea, something I can do via a plugin.

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 22:48
looks amazing, i can't wait!

Easily Confused
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 22:53
"Holy flerking snit", this could well be the new official editor for DBPro, very nice

Programming anything is an art, and you can't rush art.
Unless your name is Bob Ross, then you can do it in thirty minutes.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2003 18:06
Oooh sexy

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
We need a texture artist!
If your interested email me - Johnrocs@aol.com
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2003 19:22
An early beta is here.

A few things you should be aware of first:

1. Its a beta
2. You need to install CodeSense first, do this by copying the cmcs21.ocx file from the zip file into your C:\Windows\System32 (XP) or C:\Windows\System (98/ME) folder, and then dragging and dropping it on top of regsvr32.exe - the final build will do this automatically. If you have installed Beavis' IDE this will already have been done.
3. BlueIDE can open the Default IDE's project files, but not vice versa, due to bugs in the default IDE. The compiler will accept both.
4. Source code is included, feel free to tinker

http://blueide.sf.net/dl/blueide_alpha2.zip

Dev journal thus far also included.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2003 20:52
Guinea Pig #1 downloading now...

Other Guinea Pigs, please form an orderly queue.

If your mansion house needs haunting, just call Rentaghost!
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2003 20:58 Edited at: 12th Oct 2003 20:59
Guinea Pig #2 joins the back of the queue...

Brains are for idiots.

Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2003 21:29
After 5 minutes of playing, my initial thoughts:

Wrapping text on some dialog boxes

I don't like editors where cursor goes beyond end of line. If I use mouse to click in doc at right side of line of code, cursor should move to end of line.

If I use cursor keys to move around code, status bar line/col/commands does not update

Project / Settings,. No defaults selected. Also if you open screen-res box and minimise main window, screen res box remains.

Get this message with a lot of compiles

6. Clicking in various positions in code, the row/col in status bar appears to be completely random numbers!

That's all for now. Time for Dinner!

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 02:46
Quote: "Wrapping text on some dialog boxes"

W98 issue. I am using standard XP theme here. I'll make said dialogs a bit wider.

Quote: "I don't like editors where cursor goes beyond end of line. If I use mouse to click in doc at right side of line of code, cursor should move to end of line."

I'll see if I can make this an optional setting.

Quote: "Project / Settings,. No defaults selected. Also if you open screen-res box and minimise main window, screen res box remains."

Defaults are internally set, but the checkboxes & radiobuttons are not updated to reflect these. Second issue is a problem.

Quote: "Get this message with a lot of compiles"

Hmm, weird Win98 issue again. Does it only happen on "new" (ie. unsaved) projects?

Quote: "6. Clicking in various positions in code, the row/col in status bar appears to be completely random numbers!"

Never looked that closely. I'm probably reversing them by mistake or something.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 02:53
I'm not using win98! I am using WinXP home but in 'classic' mode because I hate the standard winxp look.

That #5 compile error was with unsaved projects (not had time to test normal projects yet). It's getting late now and I'm off to bed. I'm working at home for rest of week so will have PLENTY of time to find loads more bugs! You will HATE me by end of week!!!!

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 02:59
Ahh OK. I haven't managed to get that error here yet. I'll have to do some thinking.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 05:57
Rob turn off the Multiline ability, it'll force the text to a single line ... don't remember the flag for it so you'll have to look it up.

can't say much more until i finish downloading

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 12:35
Loaded it up in VB6 and could not find a multiline flag. Just made them a bit wider and problem went away.

Also noted that compile settings were not attached to middle tab. Fixed that aswell.

When I find other other problems, I will attempt to fix them first and tell you what I have done. Not used VB for a year or two but will be fun refreshing my memory.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 14:38
Quote: "Rob turn off the Multiline ability, it'll force the text to a single line "

Quote: "Loaded it up in VB6 and could not find a multiline flag"

There is no multiline flag. That only applies to edit boxes. Buttons automatically wrap text regardless.

@Spooky
If you could send me the source when you have finished making changes that would be great

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 14:40
Quote: "Also noted that compile settings were not attached to middle tab. Fixed that aswell."

There is a reason they were not attached to the middle tab. Otherwise the display radiobuttons and compile setting radiobuttons become part of the same group. You cannot put radiobuttons inside frames in VB6 otherwise the XP theming screws up and they become black. I wrote code to automatically hide / show them as necessary.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 15:56
for the multiline flag you have to hardcode it, i thought you knew how considering your work with the Windows API for Blue

what puzzles me is why not make it in DBP with Blue... it would be a create oppertunity to show off what its capable of, or even in delphi again using the Windows API - seems odd to change to VB.
well seems odd to me atleast.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 16:20 Edited at: 13th Oct 2003 16:22
Quote: "for the multiline flag you have to hardcode it, i thought you knew how considering your work with the Windows API for Blue"

I know that you can hardcode it, but think about it, if the text was wrapped then it would probably not fit onto one line of a button, or stick right up against the edges and look very stupid.

Quote: "even in delphi again using the Windows API"

VB has better string handling functions, more people here have VB and it is easier to work with gadgets through VB wrapped classes than the Windows API.

Quote: "what puzzles me is why not make it in DBP with Blue"

Because then it couldn't be open source could it? Plus it would have been hard to add plugin functionality, and I would have had to write a whole load of commands to interface with the CodeSense component, and I hate ActiveX programming.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 17:54
Changed Selbounds to true on codesense and editor works much better thankyou! I am going to print out all the source code and study to get my bearings and to learn your coding style. Unfortunately I'm going to be tied up (ooh er missus) for next week finishing some big work projects and will only get an hour or two per evening to code.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 18:39 Edited at: 13th Oct 2003 18:41
@spooky

If you have any queries as to how the program is laid out then let me know. If you read the included dev. journal (BIDE_Journal.txt) it should help to explain things.

I suspect the BAD IMAGE error message is caused by the editor putting incorrect information in the project file, resulting in an incorrect exe produced. The editor saves project settings to a temp.dbpro file if the project has not been saved.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2003 18:49
Update: Added multi-language support

Will release a new beta soon.

Bren
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2003 22:53
this is some great stuff, I first downloaded the one made by Danny Wartnaby which looks great, but this one is more up to date. Maybe I'll join in the fun

You know what would be great, just as in VB a project browser, and therefore the option to devide the code over mutiple documents and have them in a nice treeview on the right.

Anyway great job rod!

Games don't kill ...
I do!
http://www.gamingzone.be the ultimate gaming community
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2003 23:00
Quote: "You know what would be great, just as in VB a project browser, and therefore the option to devide the code over mutiple documents and have them in a nice treeview on the right."

You can have code over multiple docs - Multiple tabs will be automatically opened for each include file. Includes are listed in the project tab.

Personally I found the tabs system much quicker to work with than the treeview. However, if people want I can add it

Bren
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2003 23:10 Edited at: 16th Oct 2003 23:33
Sorry I didn't see it on the screenies yet, but now I downloaded it now

Treeview would be nice, but hey that's just me
But on the other hand, the tabs are a very nice touch indeed
Dilemma

I'll start using your IDE from now on and see if I can come up with something and maybe contribute myself.

Btw Rod, you think it would be possible to offer user different syntax? This just meaning offering them to use Java or C++ kind of if's and loop's. Or exactly VB kind of syntax for it. I did not dive into your code yet and just saying this off the top of my head so I don't know how far fetched this is

Games don't kill ...
I do!
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2003 23:55
The code editor will do syntax highlighting for other languages (Right Click > Properties > Language), but the compiler will only run DarkBASIC code. However, you can add preprocessing stuff if you wish.

Bren
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2003 23:58
you realy thought about everything lol
rob rox

Games don't kill ...
I do!
Bren
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2003 01:49 Edited at: 17th Oct 2003 01:54
Were can we report things? Is it allowed in this thread. You probably know this stuff but hey here we go:

When you save multiple files, you somewhere forget a "/" in the relative path. In other means when I would save my projects at "c:testprojectproject.dbpro", he'll save my main file to "c:testprojectmain.dba" but all my other files like this:
"c:testprojectfile2.dba", "c:testprojectfile3.dba", "c:testprojectotherfiles2.dba"

I changed this line in the frmMain saveProject function (I added the \) and now it works:

And I commented the message box 2 lines above:

Also I tried to assiciate .dbpro files to the BlueIDE, but he can't open projects yet that way. That would be cool if that was possible

And I love working with this IDE, it makes DarkBasic so much more fun to program in Can't wait to get my hands on the final IDE

Games don't kill ...
I do!
Dostej
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2003 14:11
@robK
I registerd the cscm-ocx, but every time I got an error tabctl32.ocx is missing or invalid.

Could you tell me what to do?

www.dbpro.ionichost.com
www.galacticinc.iwebland.com
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2003 14:47 Edited at: 17th Oct 2003 14:48
@Dostej

Sorry, I thought most people had that. You can download it here (you'll need to register it in the same way as the CodeSense ActiveX control)

http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/images/lib/TABCTL32.OCX

@Bren

Here is a good place to report things

Association of .dbpro files with BlueIDE is something I have penned in for the next release.

Thanks for the source correction.

Beavis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2003 15:38
Very nice IDE. Good work RobK!
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2003 19:20
@Dostej

Re the other thread - I am still trying to work on that bug. It is an error in the CodeSense component.

FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 02:22
@RobK:
I can't get the IDE to start. I unzipped the file, dragged the
cmcs21.ocx file into the regsvr32.exe file but I double click on the blue file from the download and nothing happens....it won't launch. How come?

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 03:16
Odd.

When you say that nothing happens, are you sure that you are loading the blue.exe file (standard VB icon) and are there any error messages etc? - If you go into Task Manager, is BlueIDE listed?

Failing that. If you have VB, open up the source code and hit the run button.

FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 14:21 Edited at: 18th Oct 2003 15:26
I have unzipped the BlueIDE folder to my desktop. I double click on the 'Blue' icon (says it's file type is an application. For about 1 second I get the egg timer mouse then nothing....as if I hadn't clicked it. Task manager doesn't show it running either. I don't have VB6 i'm afraid

I think I may have found the problem (but not solved it )
When I unzip the file, I get the message:

Replace file: c:\unzipped\blueide_alpha2\BLUEIDE\R...\SAMPLE~1.bak
185 bytes 26/09/2003 20:22

With file: SAMPLE~1.bak
239 bytes 26/09/2003 20:24

No matter if I choose yes or no the install continues but now when I click on the 'blue' icon windows just plays the ominous error noise and nothing happens!

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 18:20
Hmm... I'll have to add a debug log to the application, to see if it can be tracked down.

FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 19:54
Cheers RobK,

BTW, Any chance of getting BlueGUI sent to me today? (I ordered this morning and have had my confirmation email).

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2003 00:46
Order dispatched

FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2003 02:50
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2003 04:08
I've had a quick play around with the alpha2 editor and I have these points ...

Project/Settings
- No default selected for the Compile Settings
- No default selected for the Display Settings

Media
No cursors or icons?

DBPro/Code library
-Code snippet window (when adding or editing)
-- should use same settings as the main IDE
-- should allow cursor left at far left to move to end of prev line
-- allowed to lose focus - maybe keep on top?

DBPro/TPC
- Only displays the short dos filename

I haven't noted down things that are currently missing or not implemented, seeing as this is still an alpha.

You know what? I think that I like it
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2003 14:17
Thanks for those points

Cursors / Icons haven't been implemented yet.

Giff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2003 15:43
Hi Rob,

Nice editor...

I`ve been playing with it and have made a few amendments to enhance it a bit. I`ll send you an email containing all the code and the list of changes.

Giff

1.04Ghz Athlon - 256 Mem - Win XP - Geforce 2 Ti 400Mhz 64Mb
FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2003 17:14
Rob,

Any idea yet why I can't even get it to start

I feel i'm missing out here

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2003 19:23
It might be to do with the compiler progress tracking code which creates a new window (TDBPROEDITOR), only if you are running from the compiled blue.exe, not the VB IDE. If you don't have VB then I will have to write a version without.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2003 19:54 Edited at: 19th Oct 2003 19:54
It's looking pretty good so far.

One minor thing that might have been noted but when you open a project with multiple source files the main source ends up on the tab on the right. I would find it more logical if the main source was on the left and the include files where on the right in the order they are in the project file.

Oh and this line
function res_num(res_type as string)
ends up under types in the code tab.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2003 19:58 Edited at: 19th Oct 2003 19:59
@the_winch

I'm afraid it would be quite difficult to re-arrange the tabs, I'll have a think on it though.

On another issue, I noticed some display problems on displays 1024x768 and below (my dev machine has a very high res). I'll make sure I fix those for the next release.

Bren
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 00:28
If you have multiple files in a projects, and you are working on another tab (other then the main file) and you compile, it'll give an error. You can only compile when you are working in the main file/have the main file open.

Are you planning on also adding the + and - button for opening (showing) and closing (hiding) function-code?

And an autofilling list with possible keywaords to follow (as in VB) would be cool. If you want I can give a shot at this.

Games don't kill ...
I do!
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 01:48
@Bren

I cannot reproduce the issue here (I can compile regardless of which include is open).

Can you email me a project which shows this? Thanks

Ctrl+Space shows an intellisense list.

Important Note
There is a problem with IDE Alpha 2, where projects compile more slowly than they should. This is easy to fix, go into the source code, open up the frmCompile form, click on the Timer and set its interval to 100ms instead of 10ms.

Bren
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 03:18
Ok rob I'll send it to you tomorrow.

And ctrl+space ... why didn't I try it first? :p

Games don't kill ...
I do!
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 05:22
New release folks!

- Fixed display problems on 1024x768 and below
- Fixed error when compiling from an unsaved project
- Fixed various other issues
- Added debug support (debug mode on/off rather than a seperate compile button)
- Added some multilanguage support (look in Lang.bas for more info)
- Added icons support
- Improved plugin support

The new release also includes a very handy plugin called QuickCodes. Just type "quickcode" anywhere in the editor and a dialog will pop up and you can specify quickcodes. You type in a short name and at compile time it will be replaced with the full text, eg "ObjectX(1)" > "Object Position X(1)"

Apologies to the people who sent me source updates, I have not had a chance to add them yet but I will soon.

http://blueide.sf.net/blueide_alpha3.zip

I am away from now until late Friday evening, have fun

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 07:49:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 07:49:34