Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] The Terminus Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2011 04:22 Edited at: 4th Sep 2011 02:44

Developer:
Pbcrazy

Storyline:
While the Third Reich fell at the end of WWII, a little known group of Nazi scientists where captured by the Red Army. These scientists had been working on a top secret program to develop a bio-weapon that would stop the entire Allied army in it's tracks. The program was dubbed, the Terminus Project, meaning quite literally (in Latin), "the End/Final Project." Their capture by the Soviets didn't mark the end of their work however, instead, they and their equipment were sent back to Russia, deep into the Siberian Tundra, where they would continue their work. For years, they could not produce any working weapons, and Moscow slowly began to loose interest in the program. Now, 13 years after they were captured, and amid the ruins of a underfunded and derelict facility, it appears that those mad scientists have finally manufactured something that will grab Stalin's attention... That is, if they can make it out...

Description:
As the player, you take up the character of Ernest Kaufmann, of of the German scientists who have been working deep within the underground facility. You awoke to the sounds of rattling shrieks, booming gunfire, and blaring alarms. Now's your chance to escape, retrieve your research papers and fight your way past security teams and the infected in order to reach your long awaited freedom.

Progress:
Update 9/3/2011
- Re-installed FPSC, as it was giving me too many troubles. All is fixed, work is continuing.
- Began testing Gameplay System implementation.

Update 8/31/2011
- Updated first post with new storyline and description.
- While cleaning out my FPSC folders and updating, my level decided to delete all entities within it, so I'm starting over from scratch again, but I know where I'm going with it this time, so it's just a matter of recreating everything.
- I've decided to try an interesting approach art wise on this project. I'm going to try to use only the stock media as much as I can (except for a few things that I just need content from other model packs, like characters and weapons).

Update 8/27/2011
Thus far, I've mostly been playing with environment shapes and flow, but primarily lighting. Trying to figure out a method to the madness, or a madness to the method... Whatever it is, here's what you really want, some screenies!

C&C most certainly welcome!

The voices in my head said I'm normal... o.0

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey nice start man.Its bit empty,try to put some barrels,maybe even box or maybe anything.Nice start anyway.

Poloflece,Anayar,PWP,Henry Ham,Cosmic Prophet,Wolf,Rolfy,KeithC,Nickydude,SceneCommander,Dark Goblin And Lee Bamber is my icon.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2011 12:37
looks nice, but there are some things missing-
you'll need a lightsource for that yellow light, and you should not use stock light colours as they look nooby. the level looks nice and detailed though

imageflock.com/img/1303928322.png[/img]
skype = isaacpreston. I want to talk to YOU
Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2011 20:08
@Leon: Thanks, I haven't done my "junk" entity pass yet. I'll add that stuff in later.

@Bugsy: Thanks, aye, I hadn't added in the light sources yet in that picture, I wasn't yet finalized on the position of the lights (I keep moving and changing them ever 5 minutes). And actually, those aren't the stock light colors, they're all roughly 50% saturation, and a slight (every so slight) hue change.

Here's the latest shot, changed up the lighting a bit, added light source entities, etc.

I actually think I like the older setup better. :/ Silly lights, ever so tricky to get just right.

Attachments

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice geometry you have! I think that is what sets aside those screenshots so well.

Whoever said that Intel graphics fail, obviously never owned a Core i5.
Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2011 05:28
@Astek: Thank ya! I'm still working on really flushing out the geometry, and then hopefully I can carry that throughout the entire level.

Here's another small update (I suppose you could say it's interesting to see a room develop...). Added a few more entities (I found a red banner! ) and adjusted the lighting a bit more. Oh and I added side rooms.

Attachments

Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
Woah nice level design you maked there!Its bit dark I guess,try change ambience to 3 or maybe 4.

Poloflece,Anayar,PWP,Henry Ham,Cosmic Prophet,Wolf,Rolfy,KeithC,Nickydude,SceneCommander,Dark Goblin And Lee Bamber is my icon.

Bootlicker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2011 03:31
looks pretty cool, from what i can see. just its a bit dark in all the screens, so you cant really see much xD

Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2011 05:34
@leon & boot: Thanks guys, I just got done playing with the ambience settings a bit, trying to get a colder base color in there, also I tried to lighten it up a little bit, up maybe 5 or so from what it was. Tell me how it looks.

I also added in fog for a little bit, not sure how I like it though. I also got EAI's AK74m working with the new Airmod recoil (no zoom or melee or anything though, keeping it simple). You can see a couple of them in the last screen. I think I'm going to end up reworking the story and goals of this project a wee bit. I kinda want to see if I can create a decent game using only the stock media as much as I can. And hopefully be able to hide that I did so.

Anyway, picture time!

Attachments

anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2011 06:30
That fog ads so much ATMOSPHERE to the scene... its unbelievable!!
Im lovin the design on this; very realistic, not overdone, and looking beautiful! Keep it up!

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2011 06:38
Thanks!, and aye, I suppose it does. I was kinda worried that it was sort of too... "in your face" but the more I look at it, the more I begin to like it. I might do a slight color change on it though, maybe. I was originally really wanting to push the dark cold base colors of the ambiance against the lighter warm colors of the lights to really give the environments some contrast, not to mention a psychological emotion of "I really like the light, please don't make me go in the dark..." I think that the ambiance alone isn't going to cut it though.

Does anyone know if there is any way to set the range of fog? That'd be super helpful...
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2011 12:20
When I went through the source code this is what I figured out to be fog range:

3.14.2.6 FOG=X
Description: This switches the fog ON/OFF and simultaneously sets the distance of the fog.
Range: X = 0 – switches fog OFF,
X = 1 - switches fog ON and sets the fog between 0 and 1000 units,
1 < X < 1000 – switches fog ON and sets the fog between X and 1000 units,
X > 4000 – switches fog ON and sets the fog between X and 4000.
Example: :state=1:fog=1200

Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2011 14:31 Edited at: 31st Aug 2011 15:12
@Ched: Ah brilliant!! Thank you so much! I'll implement it ASAP.

I had an interesting idea regarding gameplay, to make things interesting. I won't give it all away just yet, but suffice it to say that it'll require a good bit of scripting, and will allow the player to do some... shopping.

EDIT: Well crap, updated FPSC and it deleted all entities from my map... -.- All well, it'll give me a chance to start afresh and know what I want this time.

Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
I like number 1 pic its really brilliant!.So is this be commercial or non commercial game?.Anyway I like the progress of this game,keep it up man.

Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2011 04:44
@leon: Thanks, as for commercial or not... Probably not. I doubt I'll ever develop enough content (level wise) to merit selling it, and to require people to buy the smaller "demo size" version I'm aiming for (which could only be sold for like $4.50 maybe) would turn away more players than it's worth. So it'll be free, and eventually I'll get around to creating a website and just add a "donate" button.

Unfortunately the map got erased so I'm starting over again. But I'm aiming for recreating it exactly so it's only a matter of time before I'm back on track.

Also! I updated my original post with new info and a fancy graphic. Be sure to check it out.

Also, also, I flushed out a gameplay system that should make things interesting. I'm not going to give anything away just yet, so you all will just have to wait till I get some of it implemented and a screenie posted with a hint in it.

Also(x3), I was recording myself rebuilding my map, starting from scratch, so you all could watch my methods in case for some reason you were interested in that. But the recording app decided to crash 20 minutes into dev... So, I'm working on something else to show you. More importantly, are any of you actually interested in the design & development side of my work?

EGG HEAD OF DOOM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2011 10:54
No offence, but all the screens look essentially the same. I don't know if their just different angles or different rooms, but you might wanna think about changing things up every once and awhile.

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2011 12:22
Quote: "Unfortunately the map got erased "
by.....?

Quote: "Also, also, I flushed out a gameplay system that should make things interesting. I'm not going to give anything away just yet, so you all will just have to wait till I get some of it implemented and a screenie posted with a hint in it."

Sorry but don't you spot the contradiction of screenshots that show a gameplay system

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2011 13:48
Quote: "Sorry but don't you spot the contradiction of screenshots that show a gameplay system"

possible when you see some special huds, augmented reality-maps on the objects, mousecursor and highlighted objects or something like this. not a system, but more the type of gameplay and individual ideas for it

atmo of the screens looks nice, thanks @ched for the fog-hint. sometimes it could be so easy ^^
Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2011 15:09
@egg head: They all look the same because they are all the same room (with exception of two images which are another room). I was just showing my progression of a room while I edit settings and what not, trying to get things to look just right. There are pretty much only 2 rooms thus far, I've been focusing on creating a "look" for them that I like, and can then transfer the style over throughout the rest of the map.

@storyteller: When I updated to 1.18, I didn't think to back it up... -.- And maho nailed it exactly on the explanation.

@maho: Thanks for clearing that up. And besides, a video of the game would just give it all away, where as a screen will leave you guessing what it does.

Sorry for the monotony of the screenshots, I'll try to get some new rooms made shortly. Though, I should note, my first demo release won't be more than roughly 5 rooms total. That being said, those 5 rooms should last you roughly 4 minutes of gameplay at least.

Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 02:35
Update 9/3/11
- Finally got FPSC working again. Blasted thing was causing me all sorts of trouble the past few days. Ultimately I had to completely uninstall FPSC and everything, then re-install from my CD and redownload all my model packs. On the plus side, everything is nice and clean again.
- Got back to work on level design. I'm having to recreate everything since the reinstall required I delete my previous work. But it's okay, this gives me a new chance to do things right from the start.

Here's a screenie of the newest room, the Bunkroom where the player first starts. Please let me know if it's too dark for you, I'll need to get that fixed from the get-go.

And here is you first hint as to the gameplay system. This is all I'm going to say on this subject for now.

Attachments

Beno09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 11:44
This will be good game, lighting is fine, keep going

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 09:40:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 09:40:39