Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] Outbreak (Top Down Shooter) – DTO Entry 2011

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2011 04:23 Edited at: 14th Mar 2012 23:57
[X9] Outbreak – (New) DTO Entry 2011

TEASER / TRAILER

Developers
Hockeykid
Kravenwolf

Engine
V1.19/custom source mod

Latest Video Dev. Update

Obligatory In-Game Screenshot (Updated Nov. 6th)

Project Overview
Hockeykid and I decided to work together on another FPS Creator game and see what we can come up with using the current source. After tossing back and forth ideas for bit (rail shooter, 2D side scroller, and a few others), we decided to see if we could pull off a 3D top-down shooter in FPS Creator.

The game mechanics should be pretty straightforward for this project—the camera should always remain locked above the player character, and the enemy AI should target said character. The game should be wave-based; the player needing to survive so many rounds in order to complete the mission. Airdrops or care packages containing new weapons and additional ammo should be rewarded as the player kills a specific number of infected. Allies should assist the player during larger hordes. Incorporating “special infected” into the waves is still being considered.

Story
Nothing less than what you might expect from a zombie shooter. The idea for this game is to get the player focused more on the actual shooter aspect rather than following an in-depth story background. But, we’ll still have one worked in. In summary, you and the remaining members of your Task Force team carry out your primary mission objective to eliminate all infected within your mission area. Your team extracts in the morning, or 24 minutes after wave one (8 hours x 3 minutes real time per game hour).

DEVELOPMENT JOURNAL

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Development Day #1 - Saturday, Nov. 5th

Part I. Environment
After deciding on the game concept with hockeykid and picking a setting for the game to take place, I quickly threw together a small scene in Blender and then separated the meshes in order to import the level into FPS Creator so I could test the primary game mechanics in progress.

Part II. Programming
In the mean time, hockeykid started on the source modification using the version 1.19 source. First, he began rewriting/adding several new camera commands in order to achieve the top-down perspective without any collision issues or AI problems.

Development Day #2 - Sunday, Nov. 6th

Part I. Environment
Created a few new temporary meshes/entities in Blender and got them imported into FPS Creator. Particularly a single-floor brick building which I used to help enclose the test area a bit better. This should come in handy when it’s time to test AI confrontations. Once the engine reaches it’s near end development, I can begin working on the final 3D assets for the game. Until then, it saves time to use temporary placeholders while I help hockeykid test his newly implemented features. Also applied the “bleached” post processing shader.

Part II. Programming

Quote: "Characters and dynamic entities now get their Light Source shader value from their closest light source, rather than being weighted toward the player. Prevents characters and entities from glowing at a distance. Can also be used to cast accurate character shadows in shaders that support planar shadows.
--From V1.19 Notes"

Hockeykid implemented a flashlight into the V1.19 source similar to the one used in Fenix Mod. The flashlight follows the player’s entity position and can be toggled on/off with the F key. After a bit of tweaking, the light affects the character shaders applied to the Zombie Apocolypse enemies. The next step is to throw the planar shadow information into the characters’ .fx files in order to have casting accurate character shadows.

Development Days #3 and #4 - Monday, Nov. 7th and Tuesday Nov. 8th

Part I. Environment

-Created various newspaper overlays and low-poly aluminum cans with 3 texture alterations to help clutter the streets without adding too many additional polygons to the level. Also added a new material and soundest to the material index library to go along with the aluminum can entities. Now, when the player ‘kicks’ a can on the street, the cans make a realistic ‘can kick’ sound in return.
-Created an intersection segment set and modified the existing road and sidewalk segment meshes to address collision issues shown in previous tests. Also reduced the polygons on said segment meshes by deleting all unseen faces.

Part II. Enemies

-Added illumination maps to all of the mob zombies from the Zombie Apocalypse Model Pack and adjusted their specular maps in order to set them up to use planar shadows.
-Added Dark AI to the mob zombies.
-Added a custom destroy script to the mob zombies. Dead zombies now disappear when they are out of the player’s view (off camera). There is also an override to make them disappear after 15 seconds in case the player doesn’t move position.

Part III. Programming

-Added Anistrophic Filtering (enhances the image quality of textures on surfaces that are at oblique viewing angles).
-Refined player’s character movement—use the WASD keys to move the player character up, down, left and right, and the mouse to rotate the player’s view.
-Synched animations with movement (strafing animation now plays when character moves from left to right).
-Player’s character cannot run backwards or when strafing from left to right.
-Added shooting and reload animations to player’s character.
-Added code to support the actual mechanics for shooting, reloading, damage, scorch, debris, and etc.
-Worked fire alliterations into new entity player mechanics.

Development Days #5-7 – Friday-Sunday, Nov. 11th-13th

We’ve managed to get a lot of work done on the game this weekend in all aspects of design. A BETA release at the end of this week still looks promising. Programming is in the number 1 slot for this update because that’s the hardest category we hit this weekend with progress. With most of the game mechanics now in operation, this week Kravenwolf will spend his time on the project refining and finishing the OUTDOOR map design for the level that will be featured in the BETA.

Programming:

-Added time cycle (day/night lapse). Ambience is now set on a timer which progresses the “day” from high noon to dusk in realtime.

-Updated enemy AI where enemy can hear player gunfire and be drawn to that location.

-Added multiple weapons for player entity and ability to switch player entity weapons [via inventory; see below].
-Added new pick up mechanics for player entity.
-Added ammo system for player entity (includes ammo pooling for weapons that use the same caliber).
-Added reload mechanics, animation, and sound to player entity (will synched reloading sounds with animations in Audacity later).
-Added weapon swapping (player can now swap weapons found during gameplay with a weapon in their inventory, and then pick up the same weapon they swapped out if they want to do so).

-Updated flashlight (fixed bug causing shadered objects to stay lit when flashlight was off and dimmed brightness.)

-Added basic inventory mechanics:

-Player can only carry two weapons in their inventory at any given time.
-Player can switch his weapons via inventory select.

-Turned off object culling for player entity (player entity no longer disappears when entering an enclosed segment room).

-Added investigate mechanics (player can now explore the environment via interactive HUDS and sound effects).

Kravenwolf

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2011 05:17
looks nice kravenwolf!

imageflock.com/img/1303928322.png[/img]
skype = isaacpreston. I want to talk to YOU
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2011 05:47
Thanks Bugsy. Not much to show now, as I had to throw something together in order to get our WIP thread up by the 5th as the comp. requires. But it will definately be fun for me to put together a city environment in FPS Creator.

Kravenwolf

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2011 06:11 Edited at: 6th Nov 2011 06:11
While I prefer First Person Shooter Videogames, I really appreciate your effort for trying something new and creative with good old FPSC.

The new point of view raises a couple of questions though: How do the decals play? Doesn't it look a little silly if the gunfire and blood decals appear out of place or do you have a trick under your sleeve to solve that?

Is the player able to jump, crouch?

Do you turn him with the mouse?
I think this would be the perfect game for Bond1's Planarshadow shader
oh...and I do have something to complain about aswell: the field of view here is very limited. Why don't you place the camera a little bit higher so the player can see further?

-Wolf

Matter is energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively Theres no such thing as death,life is only a dream,and were the imagination of ourselves.
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2011 06:27 Edited at: 6th Nov 2011 06:27
Hey Wolf,

Quote: "Is the player able to jump, crouch?"

At this time, the player will not have any reason to jump or crouch so hockeykid's disabled those actions. May change down the road though so it's still up for debate.

Quote: "Do you turn him with the mouse? "

Still up for debate on that one. Either the WASD or arrow keys will be used to move forward and back or strafe left and right while the mouse will determine which way he is looking, or hockeykid will eliminate the mouse altogether and the player will navigate entirely with their keyboard.

Quote: "the field of view here is very limited. Why don't you place the camera a little bit higher "

Definately. Still experimenting with that one at the moment, but the camera will more than likely fall somewhere between 1.5 to 2.0 segments above the player when all's said and done.

Quote: "do you have a trick under your sleeve to solve that?"

Hockeykid's got it covered

Kravenwolf

tokyomage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2011 14:28
I guess you could say that this isn't much of an fps anymore .

I love what you did and would love to see more updates along
the way so keep up the good work!

-Tokyomage

.....the feel of solitude hurts inside....
TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2011 15:56 Edited at: 6th Nov 2011 15:58
Hello there!

Very nice idea for that project, I like it! I saw some collision problems in the video, I think you guys will be able to fix them for sure though. It's still alpha code, is it?

Anyway, I look forward to this and hope, there will be something playable soon, as I liked Alien Swarm and its controls much.

Quote: "Definately. Still experimenting with that one at the moment, but the camera will more than likely fall somewhere between 1.5 to 2.0 segments above the player when all's said and done."

I would think, that the camera could go with the mouse a bit when moving it around. So, if you move the mouse cursor towards a screen-edge, the camera could move there a bit. You might get those field-of-view problems sorted out with that. Also that could make the gameplay a little more dynamic.

Greetings,
Jan

Skype name: thek491
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2011 16:02
I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

-Keith

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2011 04:36 Edited at: 9th Nov 2011 05:42
Hey guys, thanks for the comments.

Hockeykid and I have made some more progress over the last couple of days. I'll be updating the Dev. Journal and making a second Dev. vid shortly. In the mean time;

Quote: "I saw some collision problems in the video, I think you guys will be able to fix them for sure though"

Hi TheK, there were some collision issues with the sidewalk, but that was an issue with mesh exporting. Other than that, most of the collision issues you can see in the first video was because I was struggling to manuveur the character with the first control set; it was...awful. It's sense been fixed by hockeykid as you'll see in the update

Quote: "there will be something playable soon"

We'll be releasing a [closed] BETA of the extra game mode; SURVIVAL MODE (similar to Zombies) within a week or so, just to give everyone a taste of the new top-down perspective. Anyone interested in beta testing should send me an email.

Quote: "the camera could go with the mouse a bit when moving it around."

We had originally tried the first time around, but within a couple of seconds, it was giving us motion sickness. Which is why we've decided on a static camera.

EDIT:

Kravenwolf

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2011 13:21
So pumped to play this!

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2011 23:56 Edited at: 9th Nov 2011 23:57
I bet you could probably make the zombie characters less polys now, because they are in a top down view, and you will never see some details close up... I think the top down thing is totally new and exciting! definitely wasnt expecting anything like this!

[/href]
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2011 06:42 Edited at: 10th Nov 2011 06:43
Quote: "So pumped to play this!"

Thanks!

Quote: "I bet you could probably make the zombie characters less polys now

"
Hadn't considered that yet, thanks!

Small Update, November 9th

A bit tired tonight so I'll be writing a full update for these additions in tommorow's Dev. Journal and video. Just wanted to write them down.

-Enemy AI is now sensitive to sound. If the player is either behind or out of the mob zombies' field of view, rather than standing still staring at a wall, the zombie can now be alerted of the player's presence if the player makes a sound within "hearing" range of the enemy. (gunfire, kicking a can, etc.)

-Added "Achievements" (Alpha)

-Disabled run while strafing

-Segments now have perfect collision for both the player entity and AI.

Kravenwolf

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2011 16:43 Edited at: 10th Nov 2011 16:47
OOOH! Looks really great! Very excited to play, and definetly wouldn't believe this was FPSC if someone said that to me, if I didn't see this thread! Awesome work so far.
Actually, I can't stop thinking about Dead Nation right now If you make the zombies less poly, then you can have a ton of them coming at you at the same time, making some intense zombie action!

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2011 02:13
I bet some low-polified (my word lol) versions of the model pack 22 characters would fit in this pretty good as well.

[/href]
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2011 04:26
Quote: "If you make the zombies less poly, then you can have a ton of them coming at you at the same time"

That one I'm not sure of yet, because rather than the number of polygons, it's the number of limbs active that takes a toll on the framerate. So while shaving off a few thousand polys on a mesh certainly won't hurt, it's still up in the air as to whether or not it will allow us to sneak in a few extra zombies.

Quote: "model pack 22 characters"

Probably gonna stay away from 'special infected' at this time. It's still a bit early in the dev. process to determine if that's the sort of game we want this to be. While it would change up the repetition of wave after wave of zombies, if we do decide to take this game that route, we'll have to come up with a way to pull it off without everyone's first thought being, "Left 4 Dead ripoff!"

Anyway, working on the map design tonight, in the mean time; here's a very quick sketch I drew the other day on a lunch break of one of the areas in the city. I was gonna spice it up a bit in GIMP and paint in some color, but the sensitivy on my tablet pen isn't working atm. In any case, I'll be designing this map in Blender tonight to add to the editor in the morning.

Kravenwolf

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2011 11:39 Edited at: 13th Nov 2011 11:40
Kravenwolf and I have used the past 9 1/2 hours to work on this game, below is a video showing off a small bit of what we have added.

Tomorrow after we get some much needed sleep we will type out a complete list of what has been added in the past 9 hours. Now that most of the main mechanics are done, Kravenwolf will begin work on the final map design.

Vent
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2011 11:59
Very cool guys

I really like top down shooters.

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2011 21:32
THis just keeps getting cooler and cooler!

I cant help but think of what the game would look like if the camera view was slightly isometric, I think that might help make it look a little more 3d looking (not that it doesn't). Also another thing that would be cool is on the station level you could have the player start near the auto parts store and have fim go inside and find a crude melee weapon, and then later in the game you could have him pick up a gun. I think that'd add to the survival element of the game. Oh and one more thing (yes, one more thing ) I would change the zombie sounds to something more zombie like. The female zombie die sound especially. But the game still looks so awesome! I will download this when it is finished!

[/href]
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2011 07:38 Edited at: 14th Nov 2011 07:38
Thanks Vent

Hamburger, thanks for the ideas. By accident/bug, we actually started out with the camera at a bit of an angle, but it seemed to make the gameplay feel a bit akward, so hockeykid tweaked the camera position to what we had originally planned it to be and where it is now. Though I do like the idea of entering the auto parts store as you mentioned, so stayed tuned to see what we have planned for that

Anyway, have a part II to that video update hockeykid posted last night showing a few of the other game mechanics that went into the game over this weekend that didn't make it into the first video. Hockeykid will still be posting a more detailed list of the additions that went into this project over the weekend sometime tommorow.

In the meantime, here is a look, specifically; at the newly implemented "REALTIME" DAY/NIGHT CYCLE.

Kravenwolf

Help bugs!
Years of Service
User Offline
looks amazing, but the name is a bit of a rip off of my projects name..
I'm sure it was unintentional though.

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2011 10:18
Quote: "looks amazing"

Thanks

Quote: "the name is a bit of a rip off of my projects name.."

Not at all. No more than "OPS" belongs to bugsy, anyway. I keep a rather large list of names for zombie and survival horror games in my sketchbooks, and Outbreak seemed the most appropriate for this scenario as the enemies are not actually dead, rather infected.

Kravenwolf

Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh my god new history for FPSC man.Well done I love the concept,atmosphere of game and design.Its brilliant,now FPSC is not hobby tool anymore but more for commercial tool haha well done mate.I will always watch this thread from now on.Oh before I forgot,well done Hockeykid you just maked a new history for FPSC.

Poloflece,Anayar,PWP,Henry Ham,Cosmic Prophet,Wolf,Rolfy,KeithC,Nickydude,SceneCommander,Dark Goblin And Lee Bamber is my icon.

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
well done to Hockeykid and Kravenwolf this is def a great idea and taken fpsc to a new level.

look forward to more progress.

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
kulet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2011 01:04
Kravenwolf, this game is a masterpiece. What you have done here is the greatest way of telling people that in the hands of a great developer, fpsc engine can make great games. That great developer is you. Anyway, direct to the point, I want this game be featured in my website as one of the most unique and great games created in fpsc. If you want you can check the website first where I will feature this game, I will even put this in the demo page of the site. www.rwsbgames.com If it is ok for you to be featured in my website, just tell me.

work in progress
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2011 01:33 Edited at: 16th Nov 2011 01:34
Quote: "well done to Hockeykid and Kravenwolf this is def a great idea and taken fpsc to a new level."

Thanks!

Quote: "Kravenwolf, this game is a masterpiece. "

Quote: "That great developer is you."

Quote: "
Developers
Hockeykid
Kravenwolf "

Development Days #5-7 – Friday-Sunday, Nov. 11th-13th

We’ve managed to get a lot of work done on the game this weekend in all aspects of design. A BETA release at the end of this week still looks promising. Programming is in the number 1 slot for this update because that’s the hardest category we hit this weekend with progress. With most of the game mechanics now in operation, this week Kravenwolf will spend his time on the project refining and finishing the OUTDOOR map design for the level that will be featured in the BETA.

Programming:

-Added time cycle (day/night lapse). Ambience is now set on a timer which progresses the “day” from high noon to dusk in realtime.

-Updated enemy AI where enemy can hear player gunfire and be drawn to that location.

-Added multiple weapons for player entity and ability to switch player entity weapons [via inventory; see below].
-Added new pick up mechanics for player entity.
-Added ammo system for player entity (includes ammo pooling for weapons that use the same caliber).
-Added reload mechanics, animation, and sound to player entity (will synched reloading sounds with animations in Audacity later).
-Added weapon swapping (player can now swap weapons found during gameplay with a weapon in their inventory, and then pick up the same weapon they swapped out if they want to do so).

-Updated flashlight (fixed bug causing shadered objects to stay lit when flashlight was off and dimmed brightness.)

-Added basic inventory mechanics:

-Player can only carry two weapons in their inventory at any given time.
-Player can switch his weapons via inventory select.

-Turned off object culling for player entity (player entity no longer disappears when entering an enclosed segment room).

-Added investigate mechanics (player can now explore the environment via interactive HUDS and sound effects).

kulet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2011 03:01
@Hockey kid, oh, I am really really sorry bout that, by the way, can you answer the question I left on my previous comment? Sorry, both of you were great, specially you, a master coder...

work in progress
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2011 03:08 Edited at: 16th Nov 2011 03:09
@kulet, a bit too early to get back to on your offer at the moment as we're considering a full commercial realease with this game, but we'll keep your offer in mind.

Quote: "specially you"

Kravenwolf

kulet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2011 05:55 Edited at: 16th Nov 2011 06:03
@kravenwolf ok thank you, and I also would like to inform you that we also publish commercially made games by choice, no percentage, no royalty, just wanna help Indie developers. Just drop me an email if you already need my service, I'll discuss with you the arrangements. Promise you will not pay me even a cent....

Oh, but the way, let me clear things out a bit..

Hockey Kid = Great Coder
Kravenwolf = Great Designer/developer

Hockeykid + Kravenwolf = an Indie game that have the same quality as AAA games.

Keep up the good work guys...

work in progress
loler
Years of Service
User Offline
wow this looks really awesome
i really like too play top down shooters ^^ like alien shooter or shadowgrounds (wich was really cool)
happy working on this you two

its not a bug its a feature
0Alemar0
Years of Service
User Offline
You guys rock!How you did this??? Amazing work!I'd love to put my hands in it...
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2011 22:26
2Beastmode4u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2011 05:24 Edited at: 20th Nov 2011 18:08
Nice work, love the Top-Down idea. I see someone people are going for that scripting reward.

Cheers.

God help me, Please.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey everyone,
Just here to give you an update! Unfortunately Kravenwolf's power supply "blew-up" on him, he will be ordering a new one tomorrow and in the meantime he will be working on the remaining models on one of his older computers. Due to this, there probably won't be a beta. By the time Kravenwolf gets his new PSU it will be only a few days before the contest's ends, so we will need to use those last few days to put things together.

Sean

Shakleford
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2011 01:42
Cant believe Ive missed this thread for the past month. All there really is to say to this is W-O-W. Amazing job you guys, keep it up and good luck with this project.

I recently learned to sleep with my eyes open. ..... God am I tired
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2011 01:57
Hey guys, running a new PSU, and we should hopefully have this game finished up by the end of the weekend just in time for the deadline.

We probably won't have time for anymore updates here since we're racing the clock at this point, but here is the small update I was going to post for last week before my power supply died on me;

Kravenwolf

Wraith Staff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2011 03:15
WOW! This is looking so cool! You and Hockeykid never cease to amaze me

New sig in the process of being made
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 07:29 Edited at: 7th Dec 2011 07:34
Final Update Before Release

Here's the last update to the game before the showcase thread goes up tommorow to meet the deadline. Still have 24 hours to go, of which we'll be finishing up the HUDS, video backdrop for the menu, and taking care of any bugs we find until we start the build tommorow evening. Fingers crossed the build process goes smoothly.

NEWEST SCRIPTING/FEATURES ADDITIONS
(as seen in the video)

Radar (marks enemies, allies, and care packages)
Limited sprint/w stamina bar
Care package drops to replinish player ammo and/or give new weapons.

Kravenwolf

TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 09:30
This starts to look VERY good to me. Nice work you two.

You probably could give spawned zombies the ragdoll script, so they don't fall the same way all the time. Would look a little better.

Greetings,
Jan

Skype name: thek491
Dan121
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks so awesome!! Any chance of a tutorial being posted when you're done for the rest of us to learn from?

Games before Dames
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2011 00:13
Thanks guys. 4 hours to go until we get building, so we won't have time to add ragdoll; which I'm not really a fan of anyway, tbh.

@Dan121, it's not as simple as a tutorial, as the game is running on a custom engine mod for V1.19 with added commands in order to make the mechanics work.

Kravenwolf

Dan121
Years of Service
User Offline
@Kravenwolf No harm in asking i guess looks awesome anyway, good luck in the comp!

Games before Dames
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2011 01:37
Damn, I wish I was a coder because it looks like you have created a great new aspect and Genre in the use of FPSC.
The question I ask myself is 'what's not to like' about what you've achieved here and I always come up with the same answer 'nothing'.

Great job and all the best for the future.
The Hitchhiker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2011 01:47
Hello kravenwolf, how are you?
Well, that is for sure something else from what I've seen in the community so far. I think you and your fella had done something really huge here, proving that the FPS Creator is becoming less restrictive. More impressing is the deadline you guys had to make this work. That is also why I am not in the position of criticizing nothing. It is all very well done for the time that was given to you. My only suggestion is to add shadows to the characters, so you can add more realism to the game.

I wish the best of luck to you two and that all the work put in this project may give you the deserved recognition.

The Hitchhiker

"Great things are done when mountains and men meet." - William Blake
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2011 07:00
Done and Demo submitted just in time for Defy

TEASER / TRAILER

Kravenwolf

kulet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2011 04:14
Kravenwolf.... WOAH! THis is some crazy stuff! The first time I saw the game back weeks ago, I am stunned and today I am SHOCKED! When will the full game be released? I wanna have one!

work in progress
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2011 14:40
I really do not often post on other threads, unless I find a game at least VERY itneresting.

But THIS IS EPIC.

Come to where the madness is:
http://www.homegrowngames.at
Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2011 20:27
This demo is very well done. I love the fact that the zombies just keep coming, which is what should happen. Your in a town with upwards of hundreds of zombies. It should not just be one or two zombies and you win. The zombies appear from random locations in random numbers, which is a plus, so you never know where your going to be attacked. The game makes you conserve your ammo and time your reloads/shots. Instead of noob cakes who empty a whole clip into one man.

The only problem I had with the game is your ally. He seamed more interesting with window shopping then helping you while you are being eaten alive. Eventually the bargains and deals kill the man, rendering you the only alive delicious treat on the menu. I think more story needs to be put in, why you are a special forces operative with only an m9. If I was specops I would expect command to give me an assault rifle if I was going into a danger zone. However the care packages are well executed and are awesome. Its like Christmas.

I also have one more small complaint, though stopping to reload makes the game a little more intense. If I was special forces you bet your butt I would be running and gunning dropping mags everywhere. Having to stop to reload a pistol mag is makes the character kind of look like he has no idea where the mag goes. However I would see this for a heavier weapon like the m249. Or maybe even an assault rifle, I would have it so the pistol is the only weapon you can run and reload with, and restrict the rest to stopping. This makes it switching to the pistol faster than reloading your assault rifle or w/e.

Still this game was extremely fun, well detailed, and the lighting was impressive. Is it bad I wanted to drink from the water puddles on the ground? The environment flowed so well. Excellent job!

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 19:50
@kulet, thanks. An extended/refined version of the demo should be up sometime this March or so. I want to spend the next couple of months finishing up a few commercial model packs I've been sitting on for what seems like forever.

@Ertlov, Thanks! I'll be keeping an eye on your own WIP as well. Best of luck with the running.

@Soviet176, thanks for the C&C. And another big thanks for doing the voice acting for the demo. Your handywork definately added to the overall feel.

Kravenwolf

da2020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2011 06:51
This is amazing, I'm speechless
cloudwalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, everything about this is perfect!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 23:15:12
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 23:15:12