Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Interstellar: Between the Stars

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2011 18:11 Edited at: 20th Aug 2012 23:36
Interstellar: Between the Stars

8/20/2012 Download 2.07 MB

Controls:
arrow keys - movement
z - primary bullet
x - secondary bullet
q/a - scroll up/down in chat
y - open chat (or just click on the chat)
w/r - scroll camera through the ships on the playing field
e/s/d/f - If camera is in free form mode, move camera around map
t/g - If camera is in free form mode, zoom in/out
o - host
p - join
esc - pause

Attached to this post - the original Interstellar I programmed VERY long ago(long before the 2009 it states). I'll warn you, I've removed some of the features(so you might hear some weird sounds after the intro). This is a very old version, but I couldn't find any more recent copies... figured I might as well leave it here for people to play with.

swis
Interstellar

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2011 18:50
Please an screenie
No one downloads if there is no screenie
Iam just telling you for your own sake!
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2011 19:20 Edited at: 21st Nov 2011 19:22
Whoops!
I meant to attach it... didn't remember I had 2 different files, wasn't thinking Must've thought I was crazy when I listed what was on the top left!
Also, the typical - *placeholder graphic disclaimer*

swis
No, it's not pokemon.

Attachments

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2011 19:36 Edited at: 24th Nov 2011 19:36
The issues have been resolved.
I had some typos that magically ran just as if they were spelled correctly. (Asteroid v. Asteriod ) There is no reason this part of the code should have worked... yet it did. Until I delclared another variable or added 3 etc. Sooo odd. Functions still misbehave though. Anyways, I've updated the attachment on the top... Here's another screen

swis
No, it's not pokemon.

Attachments

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2011 01:40
For some reason your agk version does not run.

Go through yourself at a wall.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2011 02:27 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2012 21:24
Really? hmmm... I've tested it... Stills works too. no idea why Try this new one... (at top)

Edit: Just using this post to hold one of the new pictures

swis

Attachments

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2011 03:35 Edited at: 27th Nov 2011 03:37
There is still an error with your code somewhere, i got an error and it crashed. I pressed all three buttons z x and c then stop pressing them then I crashed the game. Ops
I think its a array problem that is the most common error.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2011 20:51 Edited at: 29th Nov 2011 01:30
Quote: "There is still an error with your code somewhere, i got an error and it crashed. I pressed all three buttons z x and c then stop pressing them then I crashed the game. Ops
I think its a array problem that is the most common error."

This is AppGameKit again... I'll search for the misspelling Does it tell you which line this occurs at?
Edit: Actually, I just tried it on another computer and it worked fine Don't know what's wrong!
Edit2: Tested on yet another machine with no issue This may be silly, but are you sure you're running the most recent version? Should have a box like second ship now...

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Ohh boy... I'm in with a new error. All of a sudden, simple code like declaring a variable keeps AppGameKit from compliling at all(just on pc even). It hangs for a moment, then fails without an error What could be wrong?

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2011 01:18
I don't know where the error is I just know it crashed. Hope you fix it so it runs smoothly.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2011 15:06
Swissolo, this has happened to me a couple times before. It took me ages to find the issue, but it turned out that I was trying to use an array outside of what I had declared... For example, I was doing this:

Normally this would generate an error but for some reason it was compiling and then hanging for ages before closing, much like you have described... It may be worth checking your arrays... Good luck!
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
hmmm... I've had odd array issues before as well, thanks Funnel7! I'll code in some catch statements that can return these boundry exceptions...
I would like to report the every time it fails to compile AppGameKit produces a .dbpro projet file that links to my code, and when compiling correctly it disapears. To reiterate DBPro in AGK! My code must have some error within it, but this can't possibly be intentional.

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I still can't seem to figure it out
I always pass a variable into my arrays, and just can't understand why the compiler would struggle with it... The same code was working fine before... and if I comment out big enough chunks it compiles. I pass in a number twice... and those are clean. Any idea now? I'm stuck... Do you think an AppGameKit update will at least reveal the issue later on?

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2011 21:30 Edited at: 16th Dec 2011 21:31
I've dug and dug... though many random pieces of code seem to function properly when removed, removing some function calls, variable value changes, and an atanfull command allows it to compile and run fine. Is Lee around to look at this?
Edit: Oh, and thanks for moving the thread

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright! Interstellar is completely fixed! I had to reinstall AppGameKit, then it ran like butter (and I got a nicer skin for AppGameKit somehow...) Be ready to see progress.

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
progress indeed, but none that you can see I called the undim command once, and now it always crashes at line 579, even if there is no code present there, nor any undim command I can report some good networking progress, items, and team separation. Hope I can solve this one aswell. Any reports of a similar error here though?

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
After playing this for a little while it crashes on me--it has done this a few times. Here is a screenshot, maybe the on-screen stats will help you pinpoint the error. Very nice start to a game otherwise!

Attachments

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2011 01:03 Edited at: 24th Dec 2011 01:36
I've gotten no errors at all and I played around with it for 20 mins. I added my Asteroid SK sprites to it:

made a quick video. I love the way the game world reacts to the player movement:

Good luck!

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2011 18:05 Edited at: 27th Dec 2011 20:35
Wow Josh, that looks amazing! That's a huge improvement on the current visuals. Especially those stars, they fit in much better as squares The bullets, being the smallest part of the game, really should be solid shouldn't they It brings them out. I had seen your pack, but hadn't really put much though into using it, only because I don't think I could replicate the visual effect throughout the other parts of the game. They're quite good really . If you're interested, it would be great if you could do more. Of course you don't have to, but it leaves a huge improvement in the game. It's all spot on already too, except that the sprites now have to be completely white so the game can control their color (the vibrant look is easily added back in)

It's good to know the game can be easily skinned too! Alright, @xCept - I've occasionally had that issue aswell. I can't tell if it's either me or AGK. I'll probably make it print out a log of progress to spot the issue, but all I've got for now is bullets are always present in some multitude when the game goes down. It's fairly infrequent here, making it hard to track. I guess I'm not he only one

Interstellar is now fully set up for multiplayer across computers, although it needs some cleanup first. I've also tested it on android as well and have had some minor proformance issues. I was planning to add a simple culling system, because the sprite's visual rendering seems to be what brings the FPS count down, but when using the setSpriteVisible() command, invisible sprites appear to drop FPS even further Hoping I won't have to scale the game down, but expect an updated demo soon.

Edit: found this is the example documentation for the command
Quote: "Conclusion

Being able to set the visibility of sprites is useful for many in game situations and hiding sprites will also boost performance.
"

yet I drop about 5 FPS Something's up!

Edit: It's possible the crashing *may* be due to reaching out of the bounds of variables, though I'm not possitive, time to look further.

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2011 00:48
Quote: "If you're interested, it would be great if you could do more."

Sure, just shoot me an email of what all you need.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2012 18:45 Edited at: 15th Mar 2012 22:58
Beta Update - Won't alter the top post as this version may be unstable.

The other ship can no longer be used, but I've added quarternary bullets (v key) There is a bug in the networking that I'll have to track, so at the moment it has been revoked. This version features a bit of a performance boost, as well as a big mess in the top left(just keep on ignoring ) Also, the glow effect beneath the ships is temp

swis

Attachments

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 23:37 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2012 19:43
Did you ever get my e-mail josh?

Edit: for pic

swis
No, it's not pokemon.

Attachments

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Well it turns out that command had nothing to eat, referring to this thread. My networking works great when I just connect to a consistent name, while it also functions perfectly using my Android device. I can't get the network listeners to work. (look in that other thread) This example is just to show off the issue. It will endlessly report "connecting."

Quote: "I can't run two instances of your program on my computer"
(anticipated)
AGK doesn't allow two of the same game to be running at once, so you'll have to copy the media and .exe folder to another location, NOT the setup.agc file. This other instance will run in a tiny little window, its fine for these purposes.

o key to host
p key to join (click on the listing to connect, click lots, the marker isn't quite right)

swis
No, it's not pokemon.

Attachments

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
At long last! Net is stable. This release is just to show it off. o to host p to join(and click from list )

swis
No, it's not pokemon.

Attachments

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I've begun my favorite part of programming, AI! So, here's a quick example of bot movement. He doesn't pathfind around objects yet, nor does he go in reverse, but you can click on points in the field and watch him move!

Note: networking is nonfunctional in this example

swis
No, it's not pokemon.

Attachments

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I know the entire community has been on their toes waiting for the next update . Just a general informer it's coming soon. Bot pathfinding is on its way. In fact, it's almost ready, the AI just doesn't have a grasp of how fat it is, and doesn't always make it around objects Keep checking here this week.

swis - No, it's not pokemon.
93% of human interaction is non-verbal.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hit a slight wall that's I'll be around soon. Sorry for the wait. Another project took off and I couldn't lose momentum. This project is still live, it just needed a nap.

swis - No, it's not pokemon.
93% of human interaction is non-verbal.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2012 18:10 Edited at: 13th Mar 2012 23:27
I took a step back so I could show off progress. Here's what I've got of BOT+Pathfinding. Completely unoptimized (and the AI still doesn't understand how fat it is) There's another bug where it chooses points awful far out (but that doesn't concern you) Prepare to be mildly amused! Lastly, if you pick a point to pathfind to inside another object everything will really slug down, just a warning.

As before, click to move the yellow bot, and please post findings.

Edit: Also, still no net with bot, use the stable version for that.

Edit: I won't post this new version, but I've greatly increased the speed and cleanliness of the code I bit more cleaning left to do though.

swis

Attachments

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2012 22:08 Edited at: 14th Mar 2012 22:16
Alright, now it's time to make the bot work over net. Pathfinding hasn't been altered, but you'll likely receive yet another demo soon.

Edit: It took one line of code... I guess that's a good sign for strong code Demo in a few minutes a guess

swis
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright. Processing has been improved and the bot can move over the network. It's actually pretty cool. I host the game on my tablet, connect my pc, and move the bot on the tablet's end. The tablet does all the processing and maintains 60 fps If only the bot couldl shoot...

Enjoy the update, same as usual.

swis

Attachments

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2012 18:39 Edited at: 15th Mar 2012 20:06
I have the most views in the showcase front page (view attached image) I guess you all are tracking after all I wish I could record download #s

Bots can now shoot at points. Shooting, unfortunately, doesn't work along-side movement seamlessly yet (they both govern rotation, so it wiggles a bit) Still, this means yet ANOTHER demo is coming soon.

Edit: I've found a bug. When I shoot a bullet from the bot it crashes on AppGameKit player, but not on my PC Wonder why...

swis

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2012 19:25
This is going really well. I just thought I'd post before you hit 12 consecutive posts

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "This is going really well. I just thought I'd post before you hit 12 consecutive posts "

haha, thanks baxslash It sure has been quiet here lately. Fingers are crossed that interest will pick up when the actual gameplay sets in though!

swis
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2012 18:14 Edited at: 17th Mar 2012 00:28
I believe I have fixed the occasional crashing. (it was a array ob somehow) If not, I added a catch so it shouldn't crash, you might get some bullets that'll act funny (maybe) but it should be preferable

Edit: Nevermind. I was editting completely unrelated code and it broke at the same point again Maybe there's an AppGameKit player issue?

Edit2: It seems to occur when I delete a sprite!

swis
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 03:30
This looks really interesting. I love this kind of game--keep it up!
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 17:58 Edited at: 19th Mar 2012 18:45
Quote: "This looks really interesting. I love this kind of game--keep it up!"

Thanks The encouragement really helps, it gets empty here.

Fixed one other bullet bug, now the only issue is bot tablet crashing and network "cleanliness" (it just needs a bit of improvement overall, some network smoothing would help on the join-er's end too) I'll continue to try to fix these issues, then I'll release a bug-free stable version.

Edit: I've passed through every possible scenario, and my code is fine. It runs fine on my computer, but for some reason on my tablet it crashes with bots using bullets. It must be an AppGameKit player issue...

swis
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I hit a treasure trove worth of bugs with networking. fixed Unfornunately, the bug I have been searching long and hard for is still running rampant. There's also a flickering issue when you wrap around as a client, that's my next order of business.

swis
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
...more bug fixes have been made since the last, but I'm still waiting on some fixes for the core ones...
This thread is *dormant* for the moment.

swis
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 22:11 Edited at: 27th Jul 2012 20:27
Alright! Life had pulled me away from this project for quite some time(as well as awaiting AppGameKit v107), but I'll be back on top of it soon. The latest AppGameKit update has done wonders, but all of my patches for the old problems have left the code a real mess. I'm afraid I'll have to start from scratch Of course, I'll repurpose most of the code, but the networking portion needs to be redone. I won't have much to post due to the overhaul, just a fair warning, but Interstellar is back in progress!

Edit: for image

swis
Interstellar

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2012 11:43
Glad to hear it!

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Glad to hear it!"

Thanks baxslash! It's nice to have posts to fill the void Anyways, I've rewritten the ship, bullet, star and wrapping code. It's all far cleaner and more effecient. Going great! No bugs so far too ! (how long will that last...)

swis
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2012 15:18
Still no bugs? Any progress?

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Still no bugs? Any progress?"

All of the game mechanics are in, although there is currently only 1 type of bullet that can be fired. I'll probably post an update soon, but I've been working on all of the networking again, so it could take a couple of days! (almost have my chat system finished, but the game world doesn't function yet ) Still no bugs! (except for a core AppGameKit one, where update(), render(), and swap() don't function correctly in AppGameKit Player [I've submitted a bug report though])

swis
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2012 21:12 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2012 21:15
Update Time!
Download
(Some of the features are android specific, so unfortunately they will not be apparent)
Although I'm still using the same bad placeholder graphics, the game has been completely rebuilt from scratch! I am not aware of any bugs at all, but as a warning, only 1 network broadcast listener can function on a device at once. A listener is used while hosting a game (the process of hosting - once it starts you're good to go) and while searching for games to join. Make sure you've finished hosting a game before you search for it on one device (you'll only be able to properly host 1 game per device as well)

PC Controls:
o - host (press again while hosting a game to terminate it)
p - join (press again while connected to a game to disconnect)
arrow keys - move
z, x, c, v - shoot bullets

In order to use the chat, click in the bottom left, type your message, then press enter.

One last thing... you can't actually play multiplayer games yet. The only Multiplayer aspect, at the moment, is the chat system. A shot of the on screen data is below. (Descriptions in red)

Thanks! I'll take all suggestions or comments!

swis

Attachments

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2012 21:13 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2012 21:14
[Download] - 1.89 MB

swis

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2012 23:02
Cool, I'll take a look when I get some spare time. Downloading...

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quick update on the Interstellar news...
I ran into some odd array issues with AppGameKit again. For whatever reason it has stopped throwing error reports and all of the values in the array became corrupt when an error occured. After 2 days of coding... and a week of fixing... I *think* the issues have been resolved. I am slightly concerned though - AppGameKit Player reports nonexistent sprite errors when I close the game, but it never terminates on Android or Windows(no errors here at all) There is no way to track the potential bug, but for the moment I'm holding back the update. Regardless, all of the multiplayer aspects are fully functional and the chat has been updated to include color coding

swis
Interstellar
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2012 21:11 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2012 20:04
AGK seems to have a bug that if the host deletes a disconnected client, the clients that are still connected are not notified. These disconnected clients remain on their list. If I try to delete them on a connected client's side, then I receive an error and crash reporting that I couldn't remove connected clients. Checking for disconnections with the AppGameKit command on the client side does not work, and neither does sending reports from the host stating the clients were removed, or even just waiting a few seconds. For now, I intentionally leave a blank line in the player list to mark this, but I have a flag that warns me anyways, so it should not hurt the gameplay. (I don't like this data buildup though...)

Regardless, here's an update! I'm still worried about these errors that never report and don't even cause issues (as far as I know), and it seems that some users receive these reports when I don't So please tell me if you receive any errors! (whether as popups OR in the chat - reports in the chat should be harmless, but it's good to be aware of them ) I really need feedback!

Network play should be fully functional, as well as the chat system. Controls are the same as usual

swis
Interstellar

Attachments

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2012 20:10 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2012 20:11
Not a single one of you gave it a try? I was hopefull seeing that a large degree of the functionality is now in place. Maybe the incoming red folder will bring in a bit of interest. I'm slowly shifting into the gameplay development phase... maybe that will help draw in some feedback. Regardless, work is still moving along, and I still need your help. (Baxslash can't do everything!)

swis
Interstellar
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2012 16:19
Didn't try the networking but the basic gameplay is really smooth and I got no errors.
I really like how it slightly zooms in and out with your speed.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 22:07:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 22:07:14