Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / One Game World, Multiple Interfaces...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2012 03:10 Edited at: 12th Jan 2012 03:18

Continuation from this Post. I predict that future Games will provide game worlds in which several genres co-exist with multiple client interfaces (that caters to a particular genre). Role-Players will play Game X as a 3rd Person RPG. Strategist will play Game X as a Top Down RTS. People who enjoy blowing things effing up with BFGs will play Game X as a FPS. This is an inspiration going into the design the Super 3D Game Platform (S3GP). I'm aiming for a 3D Client offers a configurable interface which caters to a particular genre and each genre can be be played in 5 popular game-perspectives: First-Person, Third-Person, Top-down, Isometric, and Side-Scroll.

Firstly, my strategy towards accomplishing this goal is to institute a Moderated Open Repositor (MOR)[/href]. MOR is a centralized Data Repository in which Developers and Players can collaborate and share game content between themselves and their products. The goal of MOR is to simplify the management for Developers/Players to get their content into the game, and providing a layer of protection from malicious damage to games in production. MOR operation is straight forward. Contributors upload their Media Files to the MOR Host Server for review and approval. Moderators inspect files for damage, compromise, obscenities, etc. Approved files are moved to the Closed Repository (Production) for use in game.

I believe there could be a benefit to utilizing a High Level Architecture(HLA) which is a general purpose architecture for distributed computer simulation systems. Using HLA, Games can interact (that is, to communicate data, and to synchronize actions) to other Games regardless of the computing platforms. The interaction between Games is managed by a Run-Time Infrastructure (RTI). Hypothetically speaking, HLA could support two separate Games Server/Clients fused together in cyberspace to create a new game experience, sharing players and resources.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 12th Jan 2012 04:05

what?

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2012 23:07
If I understand correctly, what TechLord is saying is that you can have different types of game all connected to the same game world influencing each other.

I suppose for example:

You could have one person playing a Command and Conquer style game - strategy perspective - whilst another player plays a kind of Modern Warfare type of game - FPS perspective.

Decisions made in the strategy perspective could affect the types of missions available at the FPS perspective and vice versa.

You could have a situation where the strategy player develops some new tech and this is reflected in the weapons and equipment the FPS player can choose.

You could also have the strategy player effectively inventing missions for the FPS player as the stratgey player advances or retreats across the game world. So a "normanday landing" style of mission could be created because the strategy player has invaded another country.

If you had a squad based "tactics perspective" sitting in the middle of the two then the strategy player may have to live with the victory or defeat of the squad based perspective.

It's an interesting idea.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2012 08:58
Cheers 29 games... (how many games do you have? Hehe)

That what you said makes for an interesting product... indeed.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2012 09:00
Sadly currently on moderation so sorry for double post wanted to add this in before I forgot...

I think it would only work with players who knew each other unless this took on a CSS approach where by players just logged on and played regardless of clan or group or friends list then it would work totally!!! if not then I would have to say this is doomed from day one...

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2012 15:53
Isn't this allread present with EVE online? The PC players play the game as a MMO but there is allso a game for consoles where the players play it as a FPS
JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes Zoq2. This is already being done in EVE Online. At least a type of this at least.

"Life is like a box of chocolates.. eat it before it melts."
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2012 04:32 Edited at: 15th Jan 2012 04:33
CCP's DUST514 is following a tried RTS Commander/FPS Soldier format (ala: Allegiance, ZombieMaster). Its looks really good and I love FPS games. Perhaps, it will give PlanetSide 2 a run for my money.

I'm certain there is innovation in this concept and I hope we can drive this discussion beyond just RTS Commander/FPS Soldier. Perhaps, what I'm proposing is a game for a new type of player that switches from one game style to another on a frequent basis. A Player like me who enjoys playing all types of games FPS, RPG, RTS, Racers, Fighters, etc. A Sandbox that provides multiple game-play styles and a single Client that can support them would offer greater leverage of assets for the Developer, and greater play/replay value for the Player.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2012 14:44
Thinking about it again... This has been done over a decade ago... not exactly in a lobby fashion... but...

Mini games anybody?

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 02:15
Quote: "Thinking about it again... This has been done over a decade ago... not exactly in a lobby fashion... but..."

There is more to this concept than RPG/RTS/FPS. Two separate Developers could develop different RPG Games within the same game world using the same resources that play completely different.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 04:37
Steam?

really need a working concept... you mean like PS3's home world thing?

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2012 05:12
Interesting....

Do you think you can pull it off? I mean, it sounds hard.

Clonkex

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2012 09:41 Edited at: 18th Jan 2012 09:46
Quote: "you mean like PS3's home world thing?"
Beyond PS3 Home (which is a glorified Lobby in my opinion). I'm talking about a Collaborative Cloud-based Game Development Platform that integrates Networked Interactive Lobbies, Content Creation Tools, Game Systems/Mechanics, Microtransactions, Marketing and Online Distribution into one a single product.
Quote: "
Do you think you can pull it off? I mean, it sounds hard."
It is hard and it can be pulled off. Key factors are networking, modular design, and consolidation. The Server/Client Engine has to be designed from the ground up with this concept in mind, it would be extremely difficult to retrofit an existing Server/Client Engine. S3GP is designed and developed to support this concept. My design strategy is to consolidate at every level of the development process. Starting with the consolidation of the game mechanics within each Genre:

1. Examine as many genres as possible.
2. Identify common systems.
3. Consolidate and Merge Systems that share similar features. (Some of these consolidated systems will be non-traditional or experimental.)

I'm taking a top-down approach (also known as step-wise design) breaking down a complex system to identify the broadest set of supported features. The motivation behind this philosophy is to consolidate systems starting with the most complex or elaborate systems. For example, using an Advanced Physics Engine for to provide all collision detection and physics simulation requirements.

Consolidation at higher levels can also be achieved. The Modular Entity Construction Hierarchical Sets (MEChS) is a 3D Entity Construction System originally conceived with the intention of creating various customizable static/animated 3D entities for RPGs by inter-connecting different modeled part combinations. It was realized that the system could also be employed in other genres to:

1. Create `whole` pre-fab entities useful in other types of games.
2. User Entity Customization
3. Parts-based Model Packs System.

MEChS consolidates Entity Creation and Customization for RPGs, Racers, RTS, FPS, Fighters, etc into one system. Entity Creation and Customization also exist for games that normally don’t require it, which in itself can be exposed to present a new twist within the Game.

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It is hard and it can be pulled off. Key factors are networking, modular design, and consolidation."

I used to do system conversions for financial institutions. Vendors of financial packages try to offer a "vanilla" setup so to speak, to each institution. The goal of the vendor is to be able to support several clients from one data center. Inevitably, it comes down to tons of tweaking, system hardware matching, modification after modification to get a stable, transaction flowing, debugged, system at a single institution. This may conflict with some of the setups at a different institution so the support/data center has to constantly modify and change and manage it's level of support - and/or each institution has to create a team of experts to handle their particular needs. Because it's impossible to address every scenario, the clients are mostly left on their own.

I mention this because even with the built in or designed modularity of the main systems, it comes down to the hardware and connectivity (telecom service providers) and number of users that make or break the ability to successfully use the systems. That's not including all of the other interfaces and ancillary systems that need to be managed and made compatible at an one business. The big companies built their own in house systems. The little guys try and get by with vendors. The medium guys have it the worst and use a combination of the 2.

So, while it seems you have some excellent ideas, perhaps the focus should be away from PC development and really aimed at consoles so that the hardware and interfaces are pretty much guaranteed to be the same. So as different aspects of your world/genres need more or less resources, the limitations aren't dictated by the hardware - or software for that part.

Here's even a wilder idea - a bit old school - design your own hardware that has your OS built into the ROM. Your OS is the complete package. In fact, your hardware could have expansion ports and such so that additional functionality can be added simply by plugging in a new attachment - and/or you could have a dedicated hard drive.

Like personal computers of yester-year (or game consoles of today), you could sell a specific unit that does all the things you want - and it leaves room for any sort of change or combination of features because it's built to do just that!

Enjoy your day.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 05:22
No. This is not a tool, but a game. It will be aimed (I assume) mostly at the PC platform. Creating games that will work on any computer that meets the minimum system requirements is considerably easier then making a financial tool that, if it crashes, may cost a company millions. If a game doesn't work immediately, sometimes the user is competent enough to fix the problem themselves. If not, they go online and search Google, usually finding a fix within the first half-hour or so.

Quote: "So as different aspects of your world/genres need more or less resources, the limitations aren't dictated by the hardware - or software for that part."

I disagree. Limitations of the game are always dictated by developer skill/resources, hardware, software, or a combination of all three. In fact, it can considerably extend the life of a game if it developed for PCs. Consoles cannot be upgraded with new RAM/graphics cards/CPUs, etc. PCs can. So if you create a game targeted only at a console and that console becomes obsolete, you will are then stuck. If you develop for PCs, you can easily release small patches which allow the game to take advantage of new hardware, if the user has it (hardware physics processing units, for example).

Clonkex

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2012 18:01
Isn't this idea similar to what nintendo wanted to do with the 64DD addon? They wanted people to be able to play one game, inside another game.

The examples they gave at the time was flying your starwing through a sim city world. Multiple games converging and all that..

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 02:07:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 02:07:01