Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Some Quick Disney Style Animation by Me!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2012 16:57 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2012 02:16

^run cycle

^standing double back tuck

^stick figure tumbling

any criticisms?

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2012 19:12
The drawing is eh, ok. But the animation is quite fluid I think. Nice work.

"You're not going crazy. You're going sane in a crazy world!" ~Tick
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2012 06:32
Quote: "The drawing is eh, ok."

some day I'll post some of my drawing artwork. I generally dont have the time to do really nice drawings since I animated these frame by frame.

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2012 03:52
Hey Bugsy, I like it! The double tuck is really good, a great sense of weight to it. I'm guessing you have studied the Disney method a bit? You seem to have a good idea of the basic squash/stretch, follow through, smooth arc, etc.

The run cycle is pretty impressive too, and no-one should underestimate just how hard it is to do a good one. You have a good sense of speed, and the character's feet really grab at the ground and push through quickly. I like it. Maybe play around with the shoulder/head movement? I know running while keeping the chest/head stable is the best method, but it's a coached one I am sure. Maybe a little more exaggeration there? That said, it's a good animation, and if the determined runner is the target, it's almost perfect. If it was Disney, I imagine it might have a little more exaggeration to it.

Anyway, that's just my opinion! Really like the animations, and would love to see some more!

Regards,
Greenlig

Your signature has been erased by a mod as it is far too big.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2012 08:16
thanks greenlig. yeah, I've been animating in 2d for a bit over 6 years now, and doing so as a sort of profession on and off for 4. It's something I pride myself in, and am glad you like my recent work.

While I do admire disney's anims, I don't much study it. I won't animate using a reference, or trace as I feel like it inhibits my natural sense for "capturing the essence ofthe movement". I also won't too deeply base my animations on those of others because I like to develop my own style if you catch my drift.

As for the run, It's for a platformer game, if that's what you mean by
Quote: "if the determined runner is the target"

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2012 01:38
I know what you mean about avoiding reference material. I do the same thing with my art - generally feel my way through it. It's a pretty internal process!

Is there a game attached to these animations?

Greenlig

Your signature has been erased by a mod as it is far too big.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2012 02:15
Quote: "Is there a game attached to these animations? "

to the run anim there is, but I'm not great at programming, and I'm doing it in flash, actionscript 2.

also, here's an animation of a stickfigure tumbling because I got bored today.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice animation. Just a simple run animation got me a job with a games company many years ago, it was way easier then. I tend to use 3D packages nowadays, or write an animation in DBPro. Currently I am having to make an Owl present a TV gameshow with the feathers, and all, and I'm cheating with Boolean curves.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2012 17:35
damn! if a simple run anim can get you a job for games, I want to know who to submit my anim portfolio to

I usually only get work for stuff like flash adverts or occasionally building an entire site, or a few anims freelance for iphone app games and stuff.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 11:00:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 11:00:08