Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Morse Code ~ Binary Search Tree (BST) rather clever and effective

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2012 00:48 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2012 01:05
Just browsing the interwebs when I came across this image. Have to say it's a rather brilliant application of a Binary Search Tree,, something that I would never have thought of applying it to. I was amazed at how quickly I could decipher Morse Code,, with hardly any learning curve!!!

That's....

~ INTUITIVE DESIGN!!! ~

http://godsowncrunk.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/minute-morse.jpg

Now compare that to the more common A,B,C,... Reference Chart found even on toy walkie-talkies....

=P

I quite enjoy things of this nature. It's remarkable how much of a role (presentation/organization) of information,, especially when it touches upon natural human intuition, has on the end-user.

A perfect example: Most people quickly figure out how to interact with an iPad without ever having read the documentation. Even people who haven't spent much time around such devices.

I once saw a television show on how car manufactures, specifically, were moving towards an intuitive design approach. Applying research data to determine... (where/what ~ buttons/functions) should placed within the dashboard and steering wheel area. They had human volunteers (thousands) physically to where they would expect certain controls to be, and how they should behave. The research was far more complex,, but that was the gist of it.

Anyways,, perhaps some of you have come across items related to intuitive design. If you have,, please share them... whether they be learning aides,, GUI design, mechanical engineering etc...

Cheers!!!

.oO()Oo.oO (I'm not a real programmer,, I just play one on the Forums!!!) Oo.oO()Oo.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2012 01:44
Hey, this is really cool. I always thought learning Morse code would be really laborious, but this makes it super easy. Great find.

Greenlig

Your signature has been erased by a mod as it is far too big.
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2012 05:56
brilliant! thanks for sharing

Sometimes I like to use words out of contents
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah that is clever, and I think it could be implemented into a Neural Network for many other applications... like path-finding.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 28th Feb 2012 02:32
I never knew you could apply Jazz to EVERYTHING but wow Morse Code... who would have thought?

Nice find and thanks for sharing...

this is certainly Food For Thought!

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2012 14:38 Edited at: 28th Feb 2012 14:44
@MrV.,, Could you elaborate on the "Jazz" reference. I'm familiar with music,, but never was good enough with music/scale theory or improv to attempt playing or understanding Jazz. Is there a similar method behind it (akin to the circle of fitths,, or progression wheel)?

Circle Of Fifths

Chord Progression based on Key Signature

.oO()Oo.oO (I'm not a real programmer,, I just play one on the Forums!!!) Oo.oO()Oo.
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "@MrV.,, Could you elaborate on the "Jazz" reference. I'm familiar with music,, but never was good enough with music/scale theory or improv to attempt playing or understanding Jazz. Is there a similar method behind it (akin to the circle of fitths,, or progression wheel)?"

Well, it's kinda similar to a binary search tree...

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 28th Feb 2012 17:22
I think its best I kept my reference material to myself in order to avoid possible dissapointment

but still yeah Jazz goes with EVERYTHING!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 00:21:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 00:21:03