Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / Swype text input ignored.

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 04:15
Hi all,

How do I get Swype text input? If I'm using Swype on my Android device (Galaxy s2 - ICS), the text input box remains empty, but when hitting individual keys, it works fine.

Here is a quick example:

Thank you!

p.s. I love AppGameKit already! Great work TGC! can't wait for 3d

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 15:33
From what I can see on the web, Swype Text is an add on to an Android device and not the built-in pop-up keyboard.

If that is the case, then it is possible that AppGameKit won't recognize the swiping on the keys as input.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 16:36 Edited at: 24th Aug 2012 16:37
A little more testing has shown the voice-to-text input method also doesn't work (which I think is also a fairly standard input method for Android users).

I'll do some digging and figure this out! I have found an article
that descirbes a way to do it
Quote: "use an Android TextView in an AlertDialog from the Java code and send text with JNI to your (native C++) edit box;"
which may help point me in the right direction.

If anyone has already cracked this problem, I'd love to know your solution! Thanks.

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 13:33
Okay, so Android stylee text input is out (for now). I'll put that little project on the back burner until its fixed.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 28th Aug 2012 08:53
Quote: "Okay, so Android stylee text input is out (for now). I'll put that little project on the back burner until its fixed."

As SWYPE is not a native feature, I think that backburner will not get off the shelf for a while...

Food for thought

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2012 09:47
Native or not, when you use "StartTextInput", the Swype keyboard appears, along with the little microphone button for Voice-to-text (which when pressed asks for you to start talking etc. but doesn't pass any text back to the app). I don't mind so much that they aren't or even won't be supported in AppGameKit, but if not, then the virtual keyboard presented to the user should be a basic no-frills one-key-at-a-time virtual keyboard, otherwise it renders all the text input commands quite useless.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2012 10:00
Pwrsonally I see it no different than a souped up multimedia keyboard with media keys... They are there but do not do anything in all apps...

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2012 12:38
Replacing the keyboard is quite common on Android. It shouldn't make a difference which one you are using. I use Swift key but have not tried it in AppGameKit since the text input is so buggy on Android. Text input in AppGameKit should not be any different than a web browser etc.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2012 15:56
CJB, you did say in your original post that tapping on individual keys works. If someone doesn't have Swype text installed, they won't see that keyboard.

AGK simply presents whatever keyboard is set up to display on the device.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2012 09:47
@ Digital Awakening: I Agree completely! Text input in AppGameKit should not be any different than any other Android app.

@ Ancient Lady: I don't want to have to tell my users to change their virtual keyboard settings to basic no-frills mode before using my app. No other Android app I have ever used tells me I have to change my virtual keyboard settings, so neither should mine. AppGameKit is set up to present whatever keyboard is installed, but it isn't set up to use it, which is a problem.

It is an issue that will need addressing at some point.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2012 16:55
CJB, since the keyboard popped up automatically and you were able to click on the keys, you don't have to tell your customers anything. The keyboard worked, it just didn't accept the swipes as input.

The app worked without any changes on your part. You just can't use non-standard inputs (ie, inputs not available on other devices through the keyboard).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2012 17:40
To be quite frank... You should not accept SWYPE input as it is highly insecure and a security risk... It even tells you so...

And dont start with voice input either...

Simple hardware(default) input is more than adequate...

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2012 15:24
Okay. If it is unlikely to get fixed, then what is the best way for me to tell my users to turn off their enhanced keyboard features? With a splash screen?

... actually I think I'd rather get it working properly. I'll put some thought into it and let you know how I get on.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2012 21:51
Quote: "... actually I think I'd rather get it working properly. I'll put some thought into it and let you know how I get on.
"

Good man!

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2012 18:13
Your users should not need to turn off their enhanced keyboard features as long as their keyboard returns keys pressed individually.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2012 18:39
CJB, you could design your own keyboard/input routine, see my thread here.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:35:12
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:35:12