Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / DarkBASIC Pro installation file cannot be opened in Windows 8!?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2013 04:11 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2013 18:02
So I downloaded DarkBASIC Pro just now and was about to run the installation file. HOWEVER, after I double-clicked on the icon nothing happened. No window was loaded, and nothing new showed up in the task manager. Then I tried running it as admin and starting it up with compatibility troubleshooter but neither of them worked. Please help!!

https://omnicam.blogspot.com
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2013 17:19
I've heard nothing good about windows 8 so far. Is DBPro supposed to be compatible?

http://mattsmith.carbonmade.com/
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 23rd Jan 2013 17:50
I am no MOD but as a precaution DrOmni9885 - I must advise you change your signature...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Windows 8, I have DBP working perfectly well with it.

Did you download the file from a stable connection? it could be that you require re-downloading it, or checking with your anti virus if any...

Just to say, do not blame the tools, if you do not know what you are doing with them...

Good luck...

DrOmni9885
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2013 17:54
Thanks for the help everyone. I already got the problem solved by restarting my computer (I am a giant idiot cuz i forgot about that lol). And MrValentine, I already changed my signature but you have to admit that there's seriously nothing good about windows 8 on a laptop or desktop.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2013 18:01
Quote: "I already changed my signature but you have to admit that there's seriously nothing good about windows 8 on a laptop or desktop."

Go back to your old post and edit it, see the left side, and then your signature will change for that post.

Depends how you use it, for me it has increased my productivity significantly over Windows 7, which was better than Vista which was better than XP for me... I admit nothing comes close to Windows98SE though

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2013 21:05
windows 8 I'm thinking will be anther windows me/vista joke
ms should just give up making any more operating systems
there just too dumb

to move side ways - is to move forward
Since a Strait line gets thin fast
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2013 21:23
Quote: " for me it has increased my productivity significantly over Windows 7"

In what way? I only briefly saw Win8 in person the other day, and I must say the new "start" menu is terribly designed and cluttered with nonsense. Different sized boxes, some representing programs while others are news headlines that change daily. It's so incredibly disorganized and I think it's the worst design approach I've ever seen in my life. I'd prefer going back to Amiga Workbench over this.

Quote: "I admit nothing comes close to Windows98SE "

I'd say this was their first real OS that really stood on its own. I used Win2k until '08.

"You're all wrong. You're all idiots." ~Fluffy Rabbit
DrOmni9885
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2013 22:02
LOL I bought the new Toshiba satellite laptop which has the specs of a 800 bux lptp for only 400 bux but found out it has windows 8 pre-installed...

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2013 22:22
Quote: "In what way? "

File management, Program speeds, Web Browsing, Emails, Graphic Design....... practically everything, I am using the same system I used Win7 on, and boy is it smoother... I use WINRT for social stuff, namely blog and Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn... and Skype, however I only use Desktop Skype for file transfers... which these days is once in a while...

The core factors helping my productivity are... Faster Data speeds... and File management... though it takes some getting used to and is missing a simple aspect...

But yeah, speedy, but I also blame my SSDs

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2013 22:56
win 98,win 2000 and a bit of windows xp were not bad

but ever windows after that has had one problem or anther

I managed for the most part to get dbp to work with windows 7
but I know if I compile any games with it might not work
in windows xp or windows 8 or ever crap ms comes out with next

to move side ways - is to move forward
Since a Strait line gets thin fast