Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK Roadmap

Author
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2013 15:24 Edited at: 5th Mar 2013 15:26
Hi,

On the main AppGameKit site we have now published a road map for AppGameKit development. I am copying the road map below too.

Let us know your thoughts.

Rick

--------------------

AGK Development Roadmap

We're currently beta testing V1.08 and are now close to completing that work.

Following this version we will roll out these new features;

3D Animation support (bone based 3D models)
"AGO" 3D format
Shader commands
Faster Compiler
Debugger
Improved help files

Once these are in place the product will be considered a stable version and will become a full commercial version costing $99.

All existing users will gain all these updates for free.

Financial Director
TGC Team
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2013 16:12
Does this mean all the things in the google bug list will be taken care of?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
nice to see that TGC are putting time & resources in AppGameKit and that giving us early adopters who were here from day 1 the advantage to have gotten AppGameKit at a discount price and be upgraded to the current version for free.

Keep up teh good work
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 5th Mar 2013 16:54
Thank you RickV and all at TGC!

Juande
Years of Service
User Offline

This is wonderful! Thanks TGC!
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2013 18:31
Hmm, i can't export the ago 3d file format.
i use shade 13 for 3d+animation and i have Ultimate Unwrap3D Pro
as converter. a ago export plugin for Unwrap3D would be nice or
a converter for open collada or fbx to ago.
i know all of the converters make trash from a 3d file.
alternate direct interfaces in agk for 3d models would be nice too.
at first for me is the 3d hirachie more importend instead of animation because the most animations can be made with simple object rotations.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2013 18:57
I would like to add "Improved IDE" to that. At least a function listing like in DBP so large projects are more easily navigated.

And "All known bugs fixed" would be appreciated

Demo 3 is out now!
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2013 19:27
Any info on platforms roadmap though?

Follow me on twitter! @MotionStruct
Motion Struct blog
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2013 19:58
Windows Phone, Blackberry and Linux would all be nice. And full support for Ouya of course

Demo 3 is out now!
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2013 20:21
I wonder, because Linux should be pretty straight-forward. Ouya - what stops you from developing for it now? (Not counting joystick support)

Windows Phone is a big topic, I doubt AppGameKit will get it, since that would require directX port of the whole thing. That'd require Paul / Lee / Anybody from TGC who's in charge to answer here.

I would guess that we can count on Ouya and Linux though.
My biggest wish is C++ support. That'd allow a whole lot of extensions. - Fast extensions

Follow me on twitter! @MotionStruct
Motion Struct blog
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2013 20:55
Quote: "My biggest wish is C++ support."

I'm assuming you mean something other than Tier 2?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
kslam212003
Years of Service
User Offline
Just want to know that, when AppGameKit can support Windows phone ?
Kobaltic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2013 02:29
Is biped considered bone base animation?
Euphoria
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2013 08:58
Windows Mobile
IDE improvements (Teir 1)
Bugs fixed
halley
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2013 09:15
I really expect the new version.

The Miracrea Games
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2013 09:54
And one big reason to get Linux support is Humble Bundle. I just got an email for the 5th Android bundle. 11h ago and it have already had sales of over half a million USD. And over 76'000 people have already bought the games. Head over to the site to see how it works, and check out the demo movie on top. Only platform that AppGameKit doesn't support is Linux.

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Demo 3 is out now!
StevenP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2013 16:29 Edited at: 6th Mar 2013 16:32
It would have been nice to see some of the Tier 1 language extended a bit with such things as:
* Linked Lists
* Dictionary\Maps\Associative Arrays (same things)
* Function pointers - great for implementing such things as event driven programming - I could create a nice reusable framework using that.
* Arrays in user defined types
* Functions: passing and returning arrays and user defined types - I am curious why this can't be done now.

These added features would add an amazing amount of flexibility.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2013 16:40 Edited at: 6th Mar 2013 16:41
You can pass in UDTs in function calls. In theory, you can return then from functions, but I don't think anyone has gotten that to work.

EDIT: While you can pass a UDT into a function, you cannot pass it into another function from within the first function. So, it is sort of broken. (And both this and the other issue are known and posted in the google list.)

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
StevenP
Years of Service
User Offline
Ancient Lady,

I saw all of these in the Google list already but was hoping attention had been paid to them. I would really love to see these features added. At this point I am starting to see Tier 1 as just too limited and inflexible for development (for me.) I know part of that is just being used to other modern languages rather than a simplified old-style BASIC like this one. The thing is, I don't know what I gain from dropping to C++ as I feel that side-steps the purposes of me getting AGK.

I'll see. I'll keep plugging away. It just shows me how stuck in my ways I can be at my age, I guess.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2013 20:17
C++ gives you so much more control and possibilities. Linked lists are easy to create, and there are lots of standard classes that let you do things you can only dream about in Basic.

After getting fed up with strings causing problems in Tier 1, I converted my project to Tier 2 and have been very happy. Simply having a good debugger in MS Visual C++ makes a tremendous difference.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
StevenP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2013 20:40 Edited at: 6th Mar 2013 20:48
Are you finding the cross-platform aspect just as easy, though?

EDITED TO ADD: At this point I am going to be doing Windows and Android only. My older Mac Book died a little while ago so I'll have to wait on porting to Mac and iOS, anyways. I think I'll play around with using C++ and AGK.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2013 20:48
Yup. No problem at all as long as I stick with ANSI C++ (or use #ifdef's to select the right code for platform).

I only have to remember to add the .cpp files to the make list for Android for any files I add to the project (similarly for iOS/Mac).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
StevenP
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds good. I think I'll give C++ a go.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2013 21:16 Edited at: 6th Mar 2013 21:17
Quote: "* Linked Lists
* Dictionary\Maps\Associative Arrays (same things)
* Function pointers - great for implementing such things as event driven programming - I could create a nice reusable framework using that.
* Arrays in user defined types
* Functions: passing and returning arrays and user defined types - I am curious why this can't be done now."

+∞

I'd like tier 1 to at least be capable of some of the big bonuses of OOP such as trees. Workarounds can be quite painful. (in a a sense types mimic objects, so I'd like to see their power expanded. ex types in types)

swis
Interstellar
erebusman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2013 21:56
I'll admit that I have not kept up to date so I could not know about something previously announced but my #1 wish list is for the Tier 2 template situation to get resolved.

I have seen lots of talk back and forth .. some of it being that we should make our own templates ... or no wait now TGC will do them , etc.

I'm not sure what the resolution is but in the end: I recently transitioned from DBPro to AppGameKit Tier 2 (c++) and I *LOVE* it . and I won't be going back to Tier 1/BASIC. But at the same time I am not a 30+ year programmer like Ancient Lady and I have no idea how to make templates.

If TGC doesn't put out templates then the release is useless to me until someone like Ancient Lady makes a template .. which is really kind of sad IMO. So I sincerely hope the decision went the way of providing high quality templates that have been properly tested in Tier2 for future releases.

Thank you.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2013 16:21
Maybe TGC will do 'proper' ones when v108 is official.

While we wait for TGC to do Templates, I will continue to try to keep on top of that and have current ones posted in the AGK Wiki Templates page. (If I ever get a full time job with someone other than myself, this could be something I cannot keep on top of.)

As long as someone is willing to create them and share them, we are okay.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
blueFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2013 01:12
When on the road map will improvements be made on moving closer to one click builds for Android instead of the long process that is now in place?

Jason
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I think TGC will make official templates when 108 will go out of beta

it takes less than half a day of work to put together t2 templates for all platforms
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2013 12:58
Quote: "We're currently beta testing V1.08 and are now close to completing that work."

Thanks for the update! I know you probably can't give us an exact date but any chance you could give us an order of magnitude? Are we talking days, weeks or months here? It's just that my main project in Tier 2 has reached a point where I need the V1.08 commands and fixes and I'm wondering if I should wait for the stable release or not. Any advise on this would be great. Thanks.

blueFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2013 18:51
Quote: "When on the road map will improvements be made on moving closer to one click builds for Android instead of the long process that is now in place?"

Just to clarify I am not talking about templates for T2 but the ability for T1 users to compile projects from inside the IDE with one click.

Jason
KUICS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2013 19:03
Looking good. I'm getting a book on 3D game mathematics for my birthday, so hopefully I can apply a bunch of that knowledge with these new features! (namely shaders)

www.kuics.com - KUICS Australia PTY LTD
Alien Menace
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2013 23:00 Edited at: 17th Mar 2013 23:02
I'd like to see AppGameKit finally catch up to GLBASIC and BlizBasic by adding a FOREACH command and support for dynamic lists.

How about adding Encryption/decryption commands to all the media load/save commands? Also, general encryption commands would be nice to encrypt save game files. Produce this as a separate module, I'd pay for it!

I'd also like to see the particle system improved to make it easier to do explosions.

It would be nice if swipe, rotate, pinch, and pan commands were added. I'd pay for this too!

Apps published: 3
gbison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2013 01:47
Hey folks,

I'm not going to say much here other than we dropped AppGameKit a month or so back and ported our work to a complete engine. Seems like we just couldn't get the things we needed done as fast as we wanted. However, there were a few things I'd like to mention.

My biggest issue with AppGameKit was the IDE. In my opinion, I would not raise the price tag a dime until this has been delt with to an extent that's as good as Indigo is for DBP. I'm not asking for Visual Studio here, but the basics would be nice. Then I would address the google bugs.

As far as features go, anything I want would be getting into the realm of a full blown engine and AppGameKit is a language, so I'll let everyone else handle that. That being said, my one request coming from a VB back ground would be to see a little OOP integration. Don't force folks into it (like C#), just allow them to do something similar to a struct or if possible the ability to write small classes and instantiate them, members and methods are a great thing! On top of that, some data structures/access would be awesome! Dictionary, Maps, Lists, Stacks, Queues, MySQL..

In any instance what ever you do, have fun doing it!

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was to convince the world he didn't exist."
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
An improved IDE and debugger is essential, including a built-in logging command. It becomes quite tedious having to either log to an external text file or print to the screen to trace any bit of code. As I recall, Freedom Engine had log support and it was mentioned AppGameKit would be getting one as well but I'm not sure of the status.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2013 17:17 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2013 17:21
I can tell that TGC is quite serious about getting the next version out.

A whole bunch of google issues have changed status!

And I just spent a bunch of time updating the TGC AppGameKit Community Tester status page.

Great Job!

EDIT: Since (as of about 2 minutes ago) everything listed as 'invalid', "won't fix" or "fixed" has disappeared from the google list, the only place to look at them is on the TGC AppGameKit CT site.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Exciting news Thanks also for that link to your status page AL, very helpful.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2013 19:37
When I got the "fixed" email on my reported issue with the filtering after resuming the app I got a smile on my face

Demo 3 is out now!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2013 19:48
@xCept - I created for us group of Community Testers and the AppGameKit developers to have a place just for the tests and stuff that we were doing for AGK. Clicking on a title in the list will bring up the Google issue page, even when it no longer appears in the issue list. This came in handy updating the statuses today.

@DA - Yup, I was excited seeing those as well.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2013 23:14
I love the one entitled "CRITICAL CRITICAL CRITICAL bug!" which has the comment "Not a bug" in the status list!

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2013 00:03
Yeah, I got a kick out of that one as well.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AutOmatIc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2013 08:26 Edited at: 29th Mar 2013 08:29
...oops sorry double post...stupid phone..

-remember that you are unique, just like everyone else-
AutOmatIc
Years of Service
User Offline
Just got agk today and just wanted to say great job so far and am really happy that when the price does go up we will not have to pay for an upgrade kudos and keep up the good work! ....now back to the grindstone for me...so much to learn...

-remember that you are unique, just like everyone else-
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2013 20:12
@AutOmatIc - glad you like it so far. We'll keep improving it and by doing so we should grow a large community of users around it.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2013 16:13
I already made 7 friends of mine buy it!!!!
GO TGC GO!!!

Long life to Steve!
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2013 18:14
@ xGeKKOx - thanks for selling work! New customers help us develop the product further.

Cheers,

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
halley
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2013 04:20
I tested AppGameKit 1088 and 1089, the FPS is very low in iPhone 4, when I load 5 pictures, the FPS is 20. It means I can't use it to develop a game. Anyone meet this same issue?

The Miracrea Games
AgentSam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2013 22:23
Ancient Lady wrote:
Quote: "Since (as of about 2 minutes ago) everything listed as 'invalid', "won't fix" or "fixed" has disappeared from the google list, the only place to look at them is on the TGC AppGameKit CT site."

The issue entries you mention haven't disappeared from the official AppGameKit issues list. But they won't be listed in the results, UNLESS you manually change the "Search within" setting to "All issues". This setting is set to "Open issues" only, by default.

Cheers,
AgentSam
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2013 07:13
Just getting ready to launch my app and noticed that there's no adverts for windows... I'm assuming also nothing for Mac.
Are these somewhere on the roadmap? I imagine many would like to use ads in their submissions to AppUp and I see many developers using admob.
Just curious.
Thanks!

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
@Naphier,

Although Admob is only supported on iOS and Android, you can use Inneractive for Windows/Mac development (Inneractive also works on iOS, Android and I believe Blackberry with the latest beta).

http://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/Reference/Advert/SetInneractiveDetails.htm
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2013 07:56
Thanks, xCept. I didn't realize that and was avoiding inneractive because a few folks here said they didn't like it, but maybe I'll give it a shot. Admob ads are really slow to load and since my ads will be on the main menu, they need to be there fast before the user clicks into the game.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:34:11
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:34:11