Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Classic defender remake

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2013 02:00 Edited at: 26th Mar 2013 02:02
Suprised so far, but AppGameKit appears to be capable of making super fast arcade style games.

Check out the video. This is only jerky cos of youtube 30fps but it's flying along at 60fps very nicely on modest kit.
You should probably up the video to 720p and fullscreen it to see details.

[href]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l50amgFImKc
[/href]

This game is actually destined to be showcased in one of the worlds biggest surviving proper 80s arcades, with it's own cabinet and no, it's not going to work very well on mobile devices

(in fact I should try to broadcast it to my XOOM to see how bad it looks!)

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2013 08:09
That looks awesome Not my type of game but you got the look nailed. Are you going to make the particles move with the world? Currently they are moving with the camera. I don't remember much from the old Defender, will you be able to collide with the terrain? Planning any powerups?

Demo 3 is out now!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2013 12:11
Looks great! - very slick . Jeff Minter would approve, except maybe he'd ask you to add Llama's.

I'm sure we'd all like to see it in it's cabinet form, be sure to post a video or pictures or something once it's all in place.

I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more memes.
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2013 13:05
The particles for teleport are relative to the world, but (at least on my version of defender) the explosions are relative to the screen.

There's a big focus group (70+ people) shaping the gameplay (even includes Eugene Jarvis and Larry DeMar).
Currently, power-ups are out, "it's not nemesis" they say

A lot of it will be about new AI and difficulty curve, something the original lacked.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2013 17:48
How much do you want for the cabinet version when it's done?

*quickly checks bank account and cries into cabbage soup

This looks really fantastic. Took me right back

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2013 17:55
Hi nz0,

Amazing job so far! Is this coded in Tier 1 or Tier 2 AppGameKit?

Can you post more information about how the game will be show cased?

Cheers,

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2013 20:33
@digital: Just checked defender again and damn, explosions are in world-coords. I'll fix that easy enough! Thanks for pointing that out.

@Baxslash: I was meaning to make a cabinet since 2006 or something (still got the plans from then) but wasn't to up for all the electronics and stuff. Someone has kindly made me a custom controller which is designed for defender and robotron. The parts for the controller cost about $50 with another $50 for the ipac controller to convert the buttons and controls to USB. See pic attached.

@Rick: It's in tier 1. It's plenty good enough for what I need. The game will debut in full cabinet form at the StarWorlds Arcade in Dekalb, Illinois to co-incide with their defender celebration this year.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2013 23:31 Edited at: 26th Mar 2013 23:34
Quote: "@digital: Just checked defender again and damn, explosions are in world-coords. I'll fix that easy enough! Thanks for pointing that out."

Happy to help. I have an eye for details

Another thing you may want to consider. Green enemies fires green shots, purple enemies lays purple mines but pink enemies turns into red enemies. Unless there's a reason for them to be pink, shouldn't the enemies that bursts into red ones also be red?

I would love a cabinet if I had room for it. Especially for 2 players. Sadly those are expensive, unless you can build one yourself.

Demo 3 is out now!
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2013 01:08
Yea, the green shots are white/yellow to show they are 2 different shot types at the moment.
White is aimed at your screen pos, whereas yellow is a bit more clever; it is aimed at where you will be when it would hit you based on your speed when the shot was fired.

The colours and pretty much all the graphics are placeholders / aids for testing as opposed to the actual finished item.

With regards the cabinet, I will probably document the whole thing (I tend to do that with a lot of my projects) with all costs, plans and assorted fun along the way. I reckon (excluding the PC parts) you can do it for <£250 and considering I have been researching the thing for about 6 years now, it's about time I finally did it.
It does help that there is are good sources for the mechanical parts these days, so no need to delay any more!

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2013 13:07
Nice work

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2013 22:02 Edited at: 30th Mar 2013 22:02
After a lot of fiddling, I have managed to get 3D mapped into the game world.
This video shows how much potential there is bringing 3D objects (even just textured planes) into a 2D shooter.

[href]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MugyK3oZ1Xc&feature=youtu.be
[/href]

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2013 23:48 Edited at: 30th Mar 2013 23:48
The 3D explosions look very cool. They are not very retro. Depends on the look you are after. If you are going for a modern remake then they will fit. They also cover up the screen, making it harder to see things. Maybe you could fix that somehow? Like not making them so big. You could angle the closer to vertical and place them behind the enemy, making it look more like they took a hit rather than exploding equally in all directions. Just some ideas.

I can see you got the particles scrolling sorted.

Demo 3 is out now!
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2013 23:57
Well, they may only be used for "special occasions". All the visuals are just my own rubbish or scraped off the internet. It will all get changed in the end.
At the moment, it's just random rotations and working out the boundaries for the camera range and scaling etc.

Appreciate the feedback.

It turned out to be quite a basic calculation to get the 3D properly relative. The movelocal and rotatelocal didn't work at all for me (spent 2 days pulling my hair out on that). In the back of my mind I was thinking that some 3D functions could be broken in AGK. Clone object definately crashes me. Others are marked in the help as "not yet implemented" etc.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2013 00:25
BTW, how do you mix 2D and 3D? Can you specify what to draw behind and in front or something?

Demo 3 is out now!
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2013 00:38
Well, you can with the 3d depth by specifying where 3d is drawn.

You can also control further the 2d drawing under the 3d layer and the 2d drawing over the 3d layer if you break down the sync function. It's pretty good. I think I'll have need of some kind of 3d version of scissor at some point though, although I could cover it up using the above methods

Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow great stuff nz0, that looks fantastic. The sounds really take you back.

The only thing missing from the videos is the sound of Donkey Kong in the background

I will admit, I tried to put a quarter in my monitor while watching them

Great job!
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2013 14:01
First effort at the Hyperspace function

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB3RBPvJ5VE&feature=youtu.be

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2013 16:18
That one looks sweet

Demo 3 is out now!
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2013 23:40
Quite a lot further forward now and some of the final graphics are in.

Here's a 720p youtube video of 10 minutes of mixed free gameplay, showing various features.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2013 09:05
Awesome

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2013 22:23
Great work so far

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2013 14:56
That looks great. I'm a sucker for any old school shmup even if I've always been terrible at Defender.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2013 22:20
Really very nice!!!
The AppGameKit community grow!

Long life to Steve!
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 01:43
Ohh! You have been busy with this. I'm posting this into the TGC social feeds to show what AppGameKit can do!

Awesome!

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
It looks cool! The 3D explosions can probably be improved somehow.. maybe darker?

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2013 13:46
nZ0 - I'm putting together a video that will show a montage of games made with AGK. Could you send me a version of your defender game for PC without debug info on the screen? Or a wmv video of some game play?

Cheers,

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2013 07:25
Will do when I get back from holiday.

Hopefully will have more of the final graphics and effects in by then.

nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2013 23:13
Hi Rick,
It seems I can't do video cap since I switched to timer based movement (the screen update is OK, but the sounds are all out of whack).
I've used MSI afterburner (the best screen cap tool?) and bandicam with good results before this. I guess pointing a camera at the screen will work, but won't be as good?

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2013 10:20
Hi nz0,

Well time pressure meant I had to use some footage from the game in my Kickstarter video. Thanks anyway.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2013 01:40
So I see. I think the overall effect of the video shows a great variation in what can be acheived!

nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2013 02:10
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 00:34
Not updated for a while, but game nearly finished now.

Be sure to watch this Youtube video in HD!

I've also attached a screenshot of the level designer (not made in AGK)

[img]null[/img]

Attachments

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 13:04
Just looks amazing! I have shared the video on the TGC Facebook page.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 13:50
...and I've just watched it. Awesome work!

oct(31) = dec(25)
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 20:26
Looks really great! Can't wait to play it!

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 22:54
Looks awesome, brings me back to the 80s, when things were better!

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 02:31 Edited at: 1st Nov 2013 02:46
It's nice to see the old games from the 80's making a comeback.
You really have done an awesome job on this. This is truly amazing! Congrats

I was thinking of maybe doing Star Castle with AppGameKit, but now FPSC Reloaded's first beta has been released. So, I guess I'll will be going back to play with FPSC for awhile.

nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 02:45
There's an interesting story with this one too. The original developers of the game are following the progress here (Eugene Jarvis and Larry DeMar ex of Williams Electronics).

The game will go into custom built arcade cabinets in the UK and US, both for williams coin-op collectors and actual arcades.

Love to see more arcade jobs with AppGameKit instead of mobile-centric stuff that has no lasting appeal - go for the Star Castle

I am seriously interested in FPSC reloaded myself to be honest, but finishing a game to a certain quality is a hard task, so I'm going to finish this one before xmas and could well be dabbling in FPSC I think.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 02:55
Your video is very inspiring.
There are so many classic games that could be re-done in AGK. (Joust would be awesome if it had a scrolling map)
I hope to see more from you, because you are doing an outstanding job here with this one.
The graphics are far better than I could have imagined.

nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 03:11
Thanks!

I`m particularly happy with the mixing of 3D into a 2D game. Once I'd got the "virtual dolly" system working (tm) I figured I could actually make a 2D scrolling shooter completely in 3D if I wanted to..

I have already scoped out a conversion of my robotron game (mechatron) which has quite a user base, but doesn't work well on modern kit. I think I could use the refender game engine to convert that one to AppGameKit in a few days (from delphi code) as I write my code in an object pascal style anyway.

You might be interested to see my 99% completed super pipeline 2 remake for mobile - which was on ice because of performance issues on android. Have to get back to that one at some point too...

Glad to hear from a classic games fan - have you got anything in the works at the moment?

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 04:02 Edited at: 1st Nov 2013 04:19
Quote: "Glad to hear from a classic games fan - have you got anything in the works at the moment?"

Not any games at the moment. I had a lot of fun making 'Twenty Squares' when AppGameKit was first released. I never got my AppGameKit games ported to any mobile devices, so I quickly lost interest. I like to stop by the forums though to check out what you guys are doing with AppGameKit, especially the tier-1 stuff. I had the thought of making an arcade machine with AppGameKit on a pc when I couldn't get my tier-1 stuff on mobiles, but I got into MAME and found myself playing a lot of retro games instead of coding any.

Right now, I am still working on my animated movie... 'Battle of the Dead'

nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2013 15:50 Edited at: 10th Nov 2013 15:51
Here's the "space mode" activation. This happens when all your humanoids are killed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2boDhMMCso&feature=youtu.be

nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2014 23:31 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2014 23:34
OK, the game is just about finished now - just need to put the rest of the levels in.
I would appreciate if some of you could try the game out and see what you think.

Run the included launcher.exe program to set up the game.

Check out the release notes on the site and let me know what you think!

http://norrish.force9.co.uk/refender

Attachments

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2014 02:20
This is awesome.

I have only one niggle with the game play and that's the pause between getting hit and exploding. I just find it a little irritating as I just want to get back into the game.

The other niggles I have are with the launcher. It would be nice if it displayed the character or name of the key being pressed and I think there aught to be a "reset default controls" button. However, the very fact that there is an option to change the controls is a good thing (I couldn't get on with the default controls).

The game is really good, very polished. I love the art style, the animation is nice and smooth, the game play frantic and old school difficult (I can only just make it to the second level) and the sound effects makes the shooting feel solid.

nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2014 19:40
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2014 09:20
I saw the movie on Facebook. Man that looks really nice in action. Pretty cool to have it set up arcade style like that

Your art is a mix of high and low res images. That looks a bit weird close up.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2014 10:10
I love the fluidity you have in the controls, really slick - It's just a shame that AppGameKit isn't on consoles, I think it would be really great with an xbox controller and a big screen.

I am the one who knocks...
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2014 10:51
Quote: "It's just a shame that AppGameKit isn't on consoles"

I agree! Would love to see Playstation support added in the future. But at least there's OUYA. Playing your own games on your big TV is awesome

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2014 19:28
With my iPhone, I can plug it into my tv and use a Wii remote(with certain games) to play.

nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2014 19:45
@digital: There are still some placeholders in there, but which are the low/high things that look odd?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 12:29:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 12:29:53