Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / One click deploy to Android (web version)

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 06:22 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2013 18:02
If you are logged in you can now visit this page upload your media files and bytecode and get an APK in return. This APK should work on any Android 2.3+ device.

If you also submit a keystore (generated by us or by Eclipse) you will get an APK that you can submit to the Google Play or Amazon store.

I've tested it with a submission to the Google Play store and it all seemed to go through, but if you have any problems please let me know what happens.

At some point we plan to make an offline version, which will require the JDK version 1.6 or above to be installed, but this is the probably the most straight forward way, no installation required!
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 08:22
Alien Menace
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 09:22
This is really cool!

Apps published: 3
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 09:34
super,i try later
if possible https ?
BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,
Thanks to tgc for this utility.
Is there a minimun Agk version to use it?
I have tried a v1073 byc and the generated apk doesn't work in ny devices.
Best regards
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 10:17
This is great news.

I would think this is perfect as a web service, I can't see the advantage in an offline version, keeping people updated with any changes would be a pain?

Thanks Paul & co

Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 10:51
Brilliant work! Congrats guys!

Two questions:

- There is currently a limit (50MB) to the size of the media-file. While I think this is perfectly fine for the current generation of Android projects, I feel the introduction of the Ouya and next-gen tablets will quickly generate a need for larger sizes. Will such a thing be possible?

- The web-service is a good solution, as it can be easily updated for every user. Will the offline AGK-IDE contain a menu-item that points to the site? (E.g. a button or reference in the 'Build'-menu that allows one to build an APK-file from the IDE?)
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 10:53
Thanks! I'll try it ASAP.
CodeGit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 11:49
Good news!!! Thanks....

------------------
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 12:03
Awesome stuff, just got a Galaxy tab as well, excellent timing

I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more memes.
jlahtinen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 12:29
Great job, gonna try it for sure, even I'm going to make the final APK still the "traditional" way.
Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 14:14
Good stuff, pretty much works on my Motorola Xoom. Just skips a couple of 512x512 .png textures, replacing them with the default. Might be something I'm doing but it works fine on iOs devices.
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 14:14
Finally, tkanks Works great

AGK
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 15:32 Edited at: 19th Jun 2013 15:35
This is cool! I think for now I'll stick to the old fashioned way as I wouldn't want to upset my current set up.

Just thinking out loud, what would be an excellent addition (I know, give me an inch and I'll take a mile!) would be for us to be able select/deselect what permissions we require in the AndroidManifest. Then taking this further still, perhaps allowing us to select what SDK's we require (Facebook, IAP, Notifications etc etc)... Now that would be decent!!

@Wilf, check your file names, Android is very case sensitive. LoadImage("Myimage.png") with a file named 'myimage.png' will not work (whereas it does on iOS and PC).
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 15:53
First off, THIS IS AWESOME! I've not tested it yet, but I'll be sure to do so as soon as I need a test build.

Quote: "Funnell7 says:Just thinking out loud, what would be an excellent addition (I know, give me an inch and I'll take a mile!) would be for us to be able select/deselect what permissions we require in the AndroidManifest. Then taking this further still, perhaps allowing us to select what SDK's we require (Facebook, IAP, Notifications etc etc)... Now that would be decent!!"

I have to second this notion and also add that we need a way to also shut off the "prevent device from sleeping" as it is standard for apps to allow devices to sleep.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=204570&b=46
Also this builder should allow us to force rotation lock via this method:
Quote: "http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=204979&b=41"

Again, awesome work!

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 16:00
A great step towards one-click from the IDE.

You guys really do work hard and really do listen well. A great combination not always found in developers.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 16:30
Thank you Funnell7, that was exactly the problem. So yay - flawless process, good job TGC!
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 17:01
Quote: "if possible https ?"

We are sorting this out now.

Quote: "Is there a minimun Agk version to use it?"

Quote: " I can't see the advantage in an offline version"

It wouldn't require you to upload so it would be faster, and there would be no limit on the size of the APK

Quote: "There is currently a limit (50MB) to the size of the media-file"

Google impose a 50MB limit on APKs, and we must draw the line somewhere for the sake of bandwidth and storage space, so this seemed like the best choice. I'll review it as we go.
Pawprints
Years of Service
User Offline
Great news and great work!

I've given it a go. I'm not sure if it's a memory issue but my app (squished to just below 50 meg) loses half it's content. For example sounds don't exist and graphics are replaced with the X icon. Would this happen if the device ran out of memory? (JXD 5110 gaming device, 512mb Mem). It should run ok.

Also I have a project that is 6 times the size of the limit. How do we handle this on the market place and is there a way of adding the media folder so it sits on the external storage part of your system (taking up vital memory space). I find Android very confusing in the way it handles memory and on 2 of my devices I have a 32gb Micro SD which seems to hardly be touch which is annoying.

Definitely a huge leap forward and a very big leap in the right direction. Thanks for all your efforts on making this feature a reality.

If it's not broken don't keep trying to fix it.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 19:53
Pawprints, it sounds like you might have an issue with file names. Are you certain that all the Load<Image/Sound> calls are using exactly the same name as exists in your media directory? And case very much counts here: this.txt and This.txt are not the same file.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 20:55
Iam happy with this also
Cheers.

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
Pawprints
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks.. You're right it was the file names having capital letters in the file name but little in the code.. Odd that it works when it's beamed and it works on all other platforms.

Cheers for suggesting it.. It's so obvious but something that didn't cross my mind as it's worked before.

lilpissywilly
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 21:29 Edited at: 19th Jun 2013 21:30
@Wilf
Quote: "Good stuff, pretty much works on my Motorola Xoom. Just skips a couple of 512x512 .png textures, replacing them with the default. Might be something I'm doing but it works fine on iOs devices."

Check your filenames, android is case sensitive.

My hovercraft is full of eels
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 23:07 Edited at: 19th Jun 2013 23:25
This is quite cool, but I would very much prefer an offline version. Not only for the reasons Paul stated, but I'm also uncomfortable uploading my work to any website in an exposed form like this. Still, very cool

Edit: Also, this media file zipping information is quite misleading. From what I read it seems to me the media folder must be placed in a separate folder which is to be zipped, but it seems you just have to zip up the media folder Is this because some zip programs don't place a folder with the same name of the original at the root of the zip file? I'm not actually sure how the contents could be zipped on their own

Edit 2: Works perfectly! This is amazing!

swis
Interstellar
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2013 01:05
All the pages now use https so everything you give us and we send back to you is sent securely.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2013 01:30 Edited at: 20th Jun 2013 01:31
Quote: "All the pages now use https so everything you give us and we send back to you is sent securely. "

It's less of a reasonable issue than it is paranoia haha someone could create a page resembling the tgc one exactly if they felt inclined and rob creators of their projects. It's of course quite out there as far as chances but I sure wouldn't want to be fooled
But that's good to know

swis
Interstellar
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2013 04:16
Paul, You're just amazing ! as always

But i will continue with the traditional way for testing purposes on several devices (not owned by me) (my project is 50MB+). After i will have to provide a downloading system before being able to release it on stores (although it's not a problem)

Also waiting for the offline/local one-click IDE packaging version

Keep up the good work !
Steve Ancell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2013 05:35
This is so great news, it's a nightmare targeting Android with the usual method, and that's a method that require me to keep going back to the documentation for reasons that I won't go into on here.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2013 12:24 Edited at: 20th Jun 2013 12:29
making the apk was easy and the install was all fine
Pumpkin Software
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2013 13:15
I'm getting "unable to parse package" I have zipped up the media folder with the test files needed, my htc mobile is running android v2.3.5 and has applications from unknown sources ticked?

I'm running v0812-BETA in tier 1, my test prog compiles, runs and broadcasts with no problems.

Thanks
BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Same here, finally I get my generated apk (with beta 13) working!
Good work Paul.
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2013 14:13 Edited at: 20th Jun 2013 14:14
I cant seem to upgrade my app because when i compile it says my keystore file should end in .keystore, the keystore file i have doesnt end with .keystore, is this something new?

I havent upgraded my app in over a year, my file is just named keystorepiggy

i managed to make an apk with a new keystore file, but that is no good when upgrading an app as you need the same file.
Rickynzx
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2013 14:27
simply add .keystore at the end of your keystore file :p
Pumpkin Software
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2013 17:48
The problem with apk not parsing on device has been sorted, I missed something very obvious, but very small, an . I managed to miss it 3 times, so specsavers it is. So for the record my apk file demo game file plays very well on my htc wildfire s
Pawprints
Years of Service
User Offline
What's the best way of handling android games that are bigger than 50 mb? Is there a workable way in AppGameKit T1 to download and set up the media file on external storage?

Steve Ancell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2013 06:20
Markus:
Quote: "making the apk was easy and the install was all fine"

Not with my scrambled brain.
hello to everybody
Years of Service
User Offline
While searching on net me came across this thing , working for me , thanks. Good jo.

Keep smiling.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
This is good news! This will make things easier for me, as I am yet to set this back up since a hard disk failure. Will give it a try when I have something worth trying!
@Pawprints. There is a new command for expansion files now, not looked into it yet, but it should work I would imagine. Other than that you could download files from within your program to get around the 50MB limit.

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 08:54
just posting to report that I have successfully used this to create my android app apk file that was submitted and accepted by Google Play. very nice! can't wait until this has been optimised and available offline.

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 18:43
How did you add the .keystore to the keystore file?
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 19:17
sorry, very stupid question! It is simply a matter of changing the file extension into .keystore. Sometimes brain goes out of service. Coffee is needed
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 20:02
Published The Black Hole on Google Play with beta14. All has gone straightforward. New the music problems should have been fixed.
Tested on my Galaxy Note, and the game runs smoothly without problems.
As soon as I have got the confirmation from Google, I'll replace all the APK with new ones made with one-click-deploy.
Nice jobs, Paul&TGC
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 20:06
I think they meant to simply add '.keystore' as the last part of your keystore file's name. (Assuming you created a keystore file, of course.)

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2013 03:28 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2013 03:38
Seems the latest apk I made fails to install each time.

Edit: Ran the same files through again and it worked

swis
Interstellar
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2013 15:23
Bad news! I created the APK of my retrobikerunner games, and it crashes both on my Galaxy Gio and Galaxy Note 10.1.
If anyone is interested in testing on their device, I have attached the APK.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2013 15:29
as an additional info, it does not crash with the player (13th June), but it hangs at the end of a train game with the music. So problems with music has not completely erased. What a pity! It seems that it is not possible to get rid definitively of the oldest bugs.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2013 19:32
Quote: "I created the APK of my retrobikerunner games, and it crashes both on my Galaxy Gio and Galaxy Note 10.1."

I get an error message of Unknown Instruction in the system log, was the bytecode compiled with the 108.14 version of the compiler?
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2013 20:52
yes. The build version written in the ABOUT is 1.07, the ChangeLog in the help file is Build 108.13, but if I am sure that it is Beta14. I attach everything, sources and media folder, so you could try to compile the project if you want and see what happens.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 17:03
The problem is that you have two bytecode files in your media folder, so the online process happens to be using the wrong one. Also I didn't get any freezing at the end of the train game with music running.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 17:24
Oh my God! They are the ancient ruins of the old build with name BikeRunner, instead of RetroBikeRunner. I have never realized that the file was there.
I'll test ASAP at home and I'll let you know.
BTW, only a question: have you tested the game with Windows or with a smartphone/tablet?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 15:14:12
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 15:14:12