Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [Released][T1] Pocket Coin

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 21:32 Edited at: 6th Nov 2013 19:33
Pocket Coin [WIP]

Google Play App Store Link

Description:
Have you ever been in one of those situations where you have to make a decision between two solutions but you forgot your pants?? I know I have! Pocket Coin! Fast, easy to use app to settle those pesky everyday problems no one has time to think about. Flip the coin and let it decide your fate!

Features:
-Insane Animations!!
-4 Mundane Achievements to Unlock!!
-Endless Hours of Pointless Flipping!!
-Mysterious Alternate Coin to Unlock!!

Evening! Finally went ahead and bought me some google play developer license. Been wanting to do this for a while just hadn't had the time to dive into developing apps until now. This is really just a test app I'm building to see how everything works out from start to finish.

Almost completed the app. Finishing up the animation and then I'm done. Really doing simplicity! Load app, flip the coin, get your answer. Done. I did add achievements and a save counter just for fun.

There's three outcomes; heads, tails and impossible draw!. 4 achievements, earning all of them unlocks a secret coin with a unique message.

Next step...figure out how to build android stuff and send it to google. Exciting.

Inmortalis Nox
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 03:38 Edited at: 31st Oct 2013 03:41
Congrats!
I took longer to figure out how to build for Android than I did to make my first app

formerly MissJoJo - Audacia Games
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 04:19
Lol..yeah can't wait than.

On the plus side, just tested on a Galaxy S3 and worked perfectly first time. I rock.

Inmortalis Nox
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 12:19
The APK builder thing is incredibly straightforward, I got an up running natively in no time - such a relief after the hassle I've had with Apple stuff. It doesn't even appear to be much more complex when using a google store setup. You might have to allow non-google apps on your tablet though, while you test.

I am the one who knocks...
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 18:58
I just took a look at that and it looks like my solution.

Spent some time writing this morning, now back to finishing this app. Did a re-write of course, but now it's much cleaner lol.

Got the arrow animation in, now to program the coin flipping.

Inmortalis Nox
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 21:27
Also useful for someone who does have a coin but is just rubbish at catching!
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 22:34 Edited at: 1st Nov 2013 22:37
Practical APP lol

Got flicking to work, coin animation with random duration. Shadow works. Next is to make some kind of random flying movement and I think I'm done. Oh, trophies probably next, then the main coin heads/tails graphics.

I had changed up the shadow but now I'm not sure. Does it look better with hard lines or with the falloff? I guess the hard lines would be more in line with the style and the icon has hard lines.

Inmortalis Nox
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2013 00:43 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2013 00:44
Alright, updated the animation and shadows. Looks insanely better! I'll be making a video soon of it all animated and flying across the screen. Very cool.

Inmortalis Nox
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2013 20:49
Finished the 'heads' and 'tails' graphics. Now redoing the arrow...probably never be done with this.

Inmortalis Nox
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2013 20:57
No program is ever "finished" for a programmer who wants it to be just right. This has gotten me in trouble more times than any other programming issues in my jobs. (Not that I got into a lot of trouble, just that I wanted it to be perfect and they just wanted it 'done'.)

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2013 01:01 Edited at: 5th Nov 2013 01:08
I'm more of an artist so it's even WORSE!

Achievements and trophies now work. If you run your finger over them they'll scale up so you can view them...though now I'm not liking the trophy sprites. The scaling is making them look really weird...

...will probably redo them...

..ok weird! Just tested on a galaxy S3 and the sprites look perfect. Awesome AA on the black lines. Even the colors look richer!

Hard to see in the picture, but here's it on the GS3:

Inmortalis Nox
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2013 18:36
You can take a screenshot on android by holding the volume down and power buttons I think.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2013 19:44
That's cool, didn't even know that. My girlfriend has the Galaxy Note 3 and if you use the stylist, you can do alt click and take a snapshot of the current screen.

Inmortalis Nox
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 08:29 Edited at: 6th Nov 2013 09:15
App finally completed!! It's only 2:30 am...lol

Now to build the watch-ya-ma-call-it android files and submit to google. Exciting.

Updated the first post with official screenshots and a video of the app in action. (side note, the app runs at a smooth 60 fps on multiple devices, however it seems when I converted the video it lost some frames so it looks like the coin stutters . Honest it flips smooth as silk )

Update: Built the APK file using the online one, very awesome thanks VanB. Just finished putting everything together in the store and submitted to google play. Crossing fingers!

Inmortalis Nox
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 11:51
Well done mate. It looks well polished.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 15:34
Congratulations! And good luck.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 17:56
Thanks guys and gals! The whole point of this app was to go from concept to game to store. Two down.

Question for those who have done this, how long does it take to get approved for google play store? I realize it's been less than 12 hours, so just curious.

Thanks! Starting my next project, something a little more complex.

Inmortalis Nox
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 19:02
Usualy the aproval takes a few hours I think. They dont have any manual approval process so it should be quick

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 19:27 Edited at: 6th Nov 2013 19:33
Weird..It is on my dashboard but I can't find it in the actual store. :/ Is there a link in my dashboard that takes me to the app store page? Also it states the statues is 'Published'..hmmm

Well it's on there lol. Only problem is I don't see it when I do a search for the name and/or company. Guess it'll never be discovered.

Google Play App Store Link

Inmortalis Nox
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 19:38
It normally takes about 2-3 hours for you to be able to access it via the link. But can then take upto 24 hours (usually its only another couple) for it to be 'searchable'... Good luck! Its very polished!
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 20:17
Thanks! Will keep an eye out for it after today.

So do I get my badge now?

Inmortalis Nox
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 20:32 Edited at: 6th Nov 2013 21:25
Josh, some bad news... I just downloaded it but the coin is replaced by the default big red 'X'... Double check your filenames, Android is very case sensitive...

EDIT: Sorry Josh, I think there may be another issue. More often than not, when I flip the coin (well, the big red 'X'), on the way back down it continues to shrink until it is no longer visible... I then have to force close the app as there are no interactions...
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 22:15 Edited at: 6th Nov 2013 22:24
That makes sense. I did capitalize the coin map but not in code. If it doesn't load, then it can't grab the frame to check for it to stop spinning. So fixing the case should fix both bugs. I'll release an update in a few minutes.

Thanks for the bug test!

Update: Uploaded a new version, hopefully fixed all the bugs.

I guess I should have tested it on my device before uploading. Oh well, this is a learning experience.

Inmortalis Nox
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2013 22:55
Well looks like everything works!

Already got two reviews which is pretty nice. It also shows up on search now(took about 30+ hours to show):

Onto the next two projects!

Inmortalis Nox
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2013 23:39
Tried it on my old HTC. Works a treat. Only complaint is on this older device there is a good 20 secs of black background screen before it shows up. A loading image might help. Anyway, rated and commented.
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2013 12:43
Just bought a Nexus 7, 2nd gen 1980x1200 32 gig and it works fine, but no 'quit' button, and the back button didn't work or ask me to quit, so I hit home to get out. not sure if the game is still running somewhere in the background on the nexus..

add a 'quit/exit' button please.

that's all I can say,

Cheers!

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2013 13:19 Edited at: 9th Nov 2013 13:20
Unless it's programmed as a service, which I'm pretty sure AppGameKit apps aren't, then it just sits dormant not using CPU after hitting home. It's resources are freed up by Android when they're needed. I agree though, implementing the back button so you can drop out of the app would meet the expectations of Android users.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2013 17:57 Edited at: 9th Nov 2013 18:18
Ah, didn't even realize that..damn. Alright, going to add that quick and make another update.

Thanks David, I really didn't even think about that...

Update: Version 1.2 has been uploaded, which now includes an exit button at the bottom right of the screen. May take several hours for the new version to be available.

Thanks again guys!

Inmortalis Nox
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2013 21:29 Edited at: 30th Nov 2013 21:36
About to update to 2.0! Here's what this will bring:
* Loading screen
* Flip phone to flip coin
* New Coins for each trophy earned
* Help screen first time running app/running updated app
* New hit animation at end of coin flip
* View coin stats
* Back button will also exit the program

Couple screens of implemented updates:

Slight temp graphics as I finished up the polished versions.

Version 2 should update seamlessly with current installs, so you don't loose your coin count.

Inmortalis Nox

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2013 21:39
Very nice artwork josh.
I might even download it to make decisions on wath to do

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2013 19:29 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2013 19:33
New polished animated loading screen. Funny thing, loads so fast on my PC that I had to use FRAPS in order to take a screenshot. Couldn't hit printscreen fast enough lol!

Only other thing is I can't find a way to get the logo to animate on it's on without faking it. I know it's not efficient, but I just update the frame and sync every time a section is loaded. Any ideas how to make this more better?

Shadow of the Ramen is Coming!!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2014 01:58
Alright! After much headache, I finally got this updated and uploaded. Hasn't updated on the store yet, but hopefully in the next hour or two.

New features, added loading screen and testing my new admob account(also a headache to get setup).

Google Play Store

Facebook Page

Yes, fb page lol. I'll probably switch that into an app page for all my apps instead of just a single page per app. Now to finish the kayak app!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 08:58:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 08:58:38