Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Codex IDE - Alternate AGK IDE

Author
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 01:18 Edited at: 19th Jan 2014 23:33
Hi All,

Recently I have been working on an IDE for AppGameKit, trying to add some features i thought were perhaps missing from the current IDE or that may come in useful.

I built it from the ground up so it is reasonably lightweight and quick and designed with AppGameKit in mind!

I have added some nice features such as:

- Compatible with current AppGameKit projects so your projects made in CodeBlocks will work just fine

- Manage media folder within the IDE

- Syntax Highlighting (of course)

- Autocomplete dropdown

- Code Assistance - so when you type in an AppGameKit command it will prompt you as to what parameters AppGameKit expects, similar to what the old DarkBasic Pro editor used to do.

- Code Tidy - Any time your code starts to look scrappy hit Ctrl+K and it will correct indentation, tidy keywords and adjust spacing.

- Access tools (eg. placement editor) from a menu in the IDE to speed things up a bit.

- Code Inspector - This allows you to see at a glance what functions, types and global variables are in your code and with one click take you to the line it was declared on.

- Help at Cursor - just like current IDE, hit F1 and it will open the help for the command the cursor is at.

- Updater - for quick and easy IDE updates

- Visual Studio theme for familiarity

- Much more im sure i have forgot, but more importantly, much more to come!

COMING SOON:

- Manage sub folders in media folder

- Code Analysis - will scan your code for errors and notify you before build

Click to enlarge screen shot

There is still much to work on/add/improve but i have found it useful and I hope you might do as well. I have only been working on this for around 2 weeks so there are bound to be bugs and issues so if you let me know I will try and fix them or have any suggestions that would be appreciated! It requires .net 4.5 installed at the minute, this will be lowered but need to test on previous versions first.

Thanks hope you like it!

VERSION 1.0.3 Now Released

Installer:
http://tutorila.com/CodexInstallerV103.exe

Zip:
http://tutorila.com/CodexV103.zip

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Kobaltic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 02:43
So far very nice. I like the look and it seems to work. Any chance of a debugger? That is all I want for Christmas.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 07:39
This is really nice! One thing I noticed is that sub folders in the media folder tree would be nice. Other than that so far it's really great work I'm using it.

oct(31) = dec(25)
lilpissywilly
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 08:36
I like it

Ability to change font and background color coming soon?

My hovercraft is full of eels
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 10:34
Glad feedback is positive so far ! A proper debugger would require modification to the AppGameKit source as far as i am aware, however I am working on a tool for the IDE that will go through your code and find errors and notify you, so if there are any quotation marks or brackets missing, or you have entered the wrong number of parameters etc, which will help as you wont have to build the code before being notified of errors.

As for folders in the media folder, they completely slipped my mind this will be coming very soon!

And yes, the next version I release I will be adding a settings option which will allow you to change a load of IDE settings such as fonts and colors etc..

Thanks for all the feedback!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 11:40 Edited at: 9th Jan 2014 11:41
I tried compiling and it didn't detect the compiler (I assume):

Full error message:

oct(31) = dec(25)

Attachments

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 12:46
One thing I'd really like to see is the command structure for a command - it get's annoying having to check the help just to know what parameters a command needs.

Function folding would be awesome as well.

It looks great though, really clean, I'll give it a proper test when I have some free time.

I am the one who knocks...
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 12:46
At the minute you need to put the files in the zip in the c:\program files(x86)\the game creators\AGK\IDE\Editor
I will probably change this in te future so you can just point to the AppGameKit directory but at the minute it has to be there.

Let me know if the issue still occurs

Thanks

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 13:33
Command structure is already implemented you'll be happy to hear ! When you type a command the command structure should appear along the bottom, it still needs a bit of work but works well!

Function folding is something I'm looking in to at the minute, hopefully I'll get it in sometime soon!

Thanks

apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
This is really great. Finally I don't need to scroll up and down hunting for functions!

One thing is there a way to switch the project explorer and project inspector to the left side of the screen?
blastar
Years of Service
User Offline
really nice. i like the block-comment/uncomment feature - no more remstart/remend!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 14:21 Edited at: 9th Jan 2014 14:26
rem, remstart and remend don't work

EDIT: ' does not work for remarks either

oct(31) = dec(25)
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 14:30
I'm currently in the process of fixing commenting. Using // works but the rem commands don't change the line colour yet. I had this in but I was causing some other highlighting issues so it is temporarily not included.

As for moving the project explorer etc.. To the left. This is not yet implemented but I'm sure I could add this feature ! Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I'm hoping to have an update by the weekend that will include some of the features mentioned!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 14:32
#include
#constant

These don't seem to be recognised.

I'll be using this editor for the near future so I may spam you for a while with bugs / feature requests. Hope that's ok. I really like the editor so far.

oct(31) = dec(25)
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 14:37 Edited at: 9th Jan 2014 14:39
Ah yes, well spotted. I'll have to try and get them highlighting as well!

Please do! I really appreciate the feedback! Like I said, this editor has been made in a short period of time so I have bound to have missed a load of things and it's hard to test on my own so if you find anything that doesn't work or have any suggestions, let me know and I'll do my best !

Thanks

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 15:40
That is really cool, syntax highlighting is something that I have wanted in T1 for a long time, aswell as function parameters. I mainly work in T2 but if I have to use T1 for something I will defenitivley use this IDE

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
blastar
Years of Service
User Offline
in special cases "strg+k" does not work properly, it messes up comments and creates non working source. you have to search and fix this by hand. (check image)

Attachments

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 16:31
Ok, I will have a look at that! Have not encountered that before. Thanks keep the feedback coming!

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 16:53
Looks nice. As a side-note, this seems to actually work well under Wine on Mac OS. Better than the CodeBlocks IDE for sure, (copy / paste) doesn't crash. Could be a good option for Mac peeps that want to try T1.

Good work.
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 16:57
Good idea! I may use winebottler and package up a version of it for mac to save people having to install wine. Thanks

IronGiant
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 17:39
This is cool as hell Wizzkid.

Been waiting for a good IDE for AppGameKit since I first bought the language.

Love AppGameKit, hate the IDE.

I think the folks at TGC, the ones making AppGameKit , should hire you to do their IDE for them!.

Save them a lot of work, they could concentrate on the language while you do the Editor.

Hear that TGC? here's your IDE problem solved.

Anyway, great work again Wizz, and yes, be even cooler when code folding is added, loves me some folding.

It's Bird! , It's Plane!, No its a rocket powered Squirrel holding some acorns and a smile!
kaband
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 18:11
Just did a quick run through to look at it and it looks great. Really nice work, Wizzkid. I can't wait to work with it more tonight.
Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 18:33
Great effort! I'll follow this closely. I've been using Sublime instead of the regular AppGameKit IDE but this is a really nice project!
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 19:27
It's nice to see a few of the things I miss the most about the DBPro Editor (Well, Codesurge anyway) included in this, namely the function list and the parameter list when you're typing a command.

I've not had chance to really test it yet, but it compiled my current project ok and it looks really good.

My one bugbear with it so far is that it pops up a UAC system requester everytime I run it, stating an Unknown Publisher as a reason.

That being said I am so impressed with what I have seen so far I am installing it on both of my main Dev machines and will use it over the default one (unless I find any show stoppers )

Keep up the good work.

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 19:56
Thanks for all the positive feedback ! I will try and get the executable signed so that that doesn't pop up each time. At the minute it just makes sure it is running as an admin incase you are writing to program files or some other restricted location.

I have been designing (although haven't yet started) a plugin system to allow any one to write extensions to the IDE. I will be fixing all the issues first but would this be something people would be interested in me adding?

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2014 00:15
Quote: "Good idea! I may use winebottler and package up a version of it for mac to save people having to install wine. Thanks"

Looks like a spoke a tiny bit too soon... Upon reopening the project (which worked fine) and hitting run, I get an exception in StartWithShellExecuteEx(...) No associated application. Interestingly enough, if I hit continue and start a new project (or start a new project when opening fresh, it works smashingly. Something's not right with reopening... could be a Wine thing, but it's interesting that running and saving project works first time open.
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2014 00:18
Hmm, thats odd. Sounds like it isnt finding the executable or something? I will have a look into this and see if it is a wine only issue or not? And either way i will try to fix it. Thanks!

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2014 00:21
Yeah, strange that it doesn't happen when you first create the project though... only when reopening one.
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2014 00:25
It really is. It doesnt seem to be happening on windows, at least i cant recreate it anyway. It could be changing the current directory to the one project is in and then cant find the compiler but i will need to have a look at it myself, im only just guessing.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2014 18:08
Looks really good. I will be using ot as soon as I can, but at the moment I can't When you say...

Quote: "Manage sub folders in media folder"

You need to do the same for the code folder. I keep all of my common code modules in a subfolder called includes. This doesn't show up in the IDE.

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2014 18:13
Good suggestion! I think I'm going to redo most of the project explorer this weekend so you can do anything you want in it, as at the minute it is a bit limited. Hopefully I will have a new update for it this weekend, with some bug fixes and settings and a few other things as well. It'll also be a chance to test the updater tool!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2014 18:19
Something else for your list It's not a priority because 99% of the time this isn't required.

I am about to change the ScintillaNet.xml file, so that it recognises my preferred comment notation ( ` ). I have found that after the program ends, the file is still locked so I can't edit it.

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2014 18:24
Hmm, that's odd? Haven't encountered that before, I will have a look into this, but I will be trying to get all rem and ` comments highlighting properly asap! Please let me know if you find any more issues! Then I can get them fixed !
Thanks

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2014 18:49
FYI, playing around with it more, Codex can also not find the help files when reopening a project, but can when creating a new one... (on Wine that is. )
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2014 18:51
Wine mustn't be overwriting the default directory when a project is opened that would explain both issues like this as it is working fine on windows. However that means it should be reasonably easy fixed ! So we may get a decent mac version yet!

JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2014 21:41
Hey Wizzkid,

I love the new IDE! Great Job!

I tried the Code Tidy option and everything seemed to look good, until I scrolled to the bottom of my code where my Functions were.

The indentation went way over to the right, so that the entire function was 3/4 the way across the page. About 3 or 4 functions did this.

Also, not sure if this is related, but after that my program wouldn't compile any longer either. I reopened the code in the AppGameKit IDE and it still wouldn't build. The Do You Want To Build pop-up dialog box came up and I chose YES, but it wouldn't build and just kept popping up the Do you want to build dialog box over and over again.

Uninstalled and reinstalled AppGameKit, thinking the compiler became corrupt, but that didn't work.

I ended up having to copy my code into a new project to get it to work again. Very Strange, but it is working again now.

Thanks again for this great tool!

JHA
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2014 23:58
Thanks for the feedback JHA, I havent come across that code tidy bug before, i'll have to play around with it a bit more. There are so many possible code combinations its hard to test them all but thanks for letting me know, ill get on to that!

I dont know why it wouldnt compile? it does nothing to affect the actual compiler itself. Again i will try to replicate this and get a fix out asap!

Thanks!

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2014 03:12
Just a quick progress update! I have got comments all highlighting, rem, remstart and remend blocks and ` comments as well.

#include and #constant are now also highlighting!

I have also got a settings window now so you will be able to customize the appearance of the IDE to your liking!

I have fixed some code tidy bugs such as it putting spaces between // comments causing builds to fail and also indentation issues.

I have also completely restructured the code, which will hopefully not have introduced any more bugs, however is much more organized, easier to maintain and more memory efficient.

I am going to try and get function folding working next and then onto a project explorer overhaul, as well as some bug fixes that have been posted!

kaband
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2014 16:27
FWIW, I ran into the exact same issue as JHA. Its definitely related to the code indentation when using code tidy. I was able to replicate the issue with that option only. The others like CamelCase worked w/o issue. I'll see if I can get any more details around it to try and help you resolve it.
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2014 18:46
That's great thanks! There was an issue I found involving if statements that had the endif in the same line as the if statement, I'm not sure if that is the problem? I have fixed that, but if you notice a different reason let me know thanks!

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2014 13:55 Edited at: 12th Jan 2014 13:57
Ok, I have been using Codex IDE as my main editor for the last day or two now, and here are my feelings/opinions about it...

You've already said about fixing the syntax highlighting on various rem statements.

Code explorer, project explorer etc. need to be draggable/dockable around the screen. (I'm sure someone else said this earlier in the thread, so sorry for repeating)

It doesn't highlight matching pairs of brackets (Which is a little annoying), but equally It doesn't autocomplete brackets either (Which is nice )

There is no compile and broadcast only button.

Although the bit at the bottom where it shows u the expected parameters for the command u are typing is cool, it doesn't work very well at all.

Weirdly, and I only noticed this this morning when I opened up a project I had been working on in Codex, in the default editor. The problem is that when I press the compile and broadcast button, it now just compiles and runs. It also doesn't broadcast when I press F5. I'm sure it's not my AppGameKit setup as that hasn't changed at all, and it still works with other projects which I haven't edited/saved in Codex.

On the whole though, its a very nice editor. I really like the VS2k13 style. Keep up the good work and I can't wait for an update.

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2014 14:05
Thanks for the detailed feedback, really helps! I have fixed rem/remstart/remend highlighting so that will be available soon.

I am trying to make the project explorer and code explorer movable, which is what i am working on at the minute.

I will try and add matching bracket highlighting as well, one of those small features that I forgot about

A compile and broadcast button will certainly be easy to add in, thanks for the suggestion.

I am going to improve the code helper at the bottom, I agree there is still work to be done improving it!

Hmm, thats odd, I will take a look at this? Im not quite sure why it wouldnt compile and broadcast, but this is certainly something that needs addressed and I will get to work on right away! Thanks!

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2014 00:22
I have just uploaded V1.0.2 which contains some nice new features and bug fixes. This can either be downloaded from the first post, or using the updater tool if you have the first version installed.

Some of the new features:

- Settings option so you can customize the code editor. More settings will be added
- Rem/Remstart/Remend and

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2014 00:27 Edited at: 13th Jan 2014 00:33
I have just uploaded V1.0.2 which contains some nice new features and bug fixes. This can either be downloaded from the first post, or using the updater tool if you have the first version installed.

Some of the new features:

- Settings option so you can customize the code editor. More settings will be added
- Rem/Remstart/Remend and ` comments should now be highlighted
- #include and #constant are now highlighted
- Code tidy indentation bug fixed (let me know if this fixes the issues previously posted)
- Code Inspector bug fixes
- Bracket matching
- UI Changes - Now Compile & Broadcast button added to toolbar
- Completely restructured Code for performance and maintainability enhancements
- Bug fix that prevented Codex projects compiling in CodeBlocks
- Other bug fixes

There is still many more improvements to add, improving the code helper, and project explorer are two big tasks which I will be working on next. Let me know if you find any new bugs in V1.0.2! And if the updater works ok!

Thanks

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2014 00:38 Edited at: 13th Jan 2014 00:42
Ah ha An update I will download and install this right away Thank you.

I was just popping on to say that in the Code Explorer, it would be massively useful if Double clicking on the function name would jump you to the line the function is declared on? (I just noticed this didn't work, I assume it doesn't work for types or globals as well?)

>Edit<

Scratch that last bit, I just installed the update and noticed that it works now

As an added feature, I'm sure one of the old DBP editors (I forget, all a long time ago now), had a "To do list" in one of the side panels. I kinda miss that a little, and I'm sure it'd be considered a plus point to the editor if you did add it.

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2014 00:56
Glad it works now! It should have worked in the first version but I had made a mistake to if the word function, type or global etc.. Was not all lower case it wouldn't work, which was stupid since code tidy capitalised them should be working now!

And yes, a todo list is a great idea! And should be fairly simple to add too! You I will get to work adding that in and making a few changes I have mentioned and have another update sometime this week! All the feedback is a great help!

Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2014 01:52
Hi

tried installing but got an error.
MSVCR110_CLR0400.dll is missing

Rickynzx
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2014 01:54 Edited at: 13th Jan 2014 10:35
I believe this is caused by an out of date version of .NET. The latest version can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=40779

blastar
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks for the update, seems to work very well!

I have a few (small) suggestions:
- button in toolbar (or in context-menu) to open project- or media folder with explorer
- hide 'SourceCode.txt' and '*.Byc' in mediaexplorer
- option to select program for help files [F1]

thanks
JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2014 16:47 Edited at: 14th Jan 2014 17:09
Hey Whizzkid, thanks for the update! Great Stuff!

Using Version 1.0.2:

Code Tidy is still indenting the Functions too far and the program will not run after doing this. The program window pops up but immediately closes. If I undo (ctrl-z) the Code Tidy, it works again. This is just on the Indentation method.

Running just the CamelCase option, causes the following error:
Compiler Error: Could not understand command at line 6

Line 6 is blank, so there should not be any errors there. Lines 1-5 are rem statements. If I delete line 5, leaving it blank, then I get the following error:
Compiler Error: Could not understand command at line 5

If I delete all of the rem statements, so that the first line is actual code, I get the same error referencing Line 1.

Undo (ctrl-z) fixes this issue too.

Using just the Correct Spacing option causes the following error:
Compiler Error: Both operands are required for non-uniary operations at line 389.

Line 389 is:

spr = CreateSprite(0)

Line 388 is a rem statement. Again ctrl-z fixes the issue.

I also noticed that when you have a line that uses a double condition, such as <= or =>, it puts spaces between the two operators, which causes an error too.

So <= becomes < =. The extra space breaks the code.

Hope that helps!

Thanks again!
JHA

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 05:03:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 05:03:21