Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Admob ads not centered properly

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2014 09:48 Edited at: 25th Feb 2014 09:48
I'm adding Admob on my android game (i'm using Tier 2). I Use agk::CreateAdvert(0,1,2,1); on the begin function to create the banner ads on the bottom center. However, the ads that is shown is not properly centered (look at the attachment).

I wonder if it's related to SetScissor(0,0,0,0) function. Does anyone know any fix to this problem or it is just me?

p.s. I'm using google admob sdk 6.1.0 with the newer version 6.4.1. I wonder if this is the cause.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2014 11:32
I had a similar issue and then came across 'CreateAdvertEX()'. This allows you to add an X or Y offset...

CreateAdvertEx( type, horz, vert, test, offsetx, offsety )

type - reserved, must be 0
horz - The horizontal position of the ad, 0=left, 1=center, 2=right
vert - The vertical postion of the ad, 0=top, 1=center, 2=bottom
test - Set to 1 to receive a non
offsetx - when horz is equal to 0 or 2 this value offsets the ad from the specified edge
offsety - when vert is equal to 0 or 2 this value offsets the ad from the specified edge
east
Years of Service
User Offline
But if I want to center the ads using X offset I must know the size of the ads. The ads that is shown on my device is 640x100. From what I read the usual size for admob ads is 320x50. I assume it depends on the device's resolution. Is there a way to determine the size of the ads?
bstebbs
Years of Service
User Offline
Can anyone provide some help with created Adverts? Trying to figure out which Ad agency to use (I'm looking at Admob) and also the correct code to put in AGK. I'm using the Basic version. Any help is greatly appreciated.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
AGK only supports InnerActive and Admob
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2014 20:15
I have mods to use Chartboost which uses interstitial ads and app walls. It pays a lot better than AdMob and there's a higher likelihood of click-throughs because the majority of ads are for games. Also Chartboost allows direct deals, which means that AppGameKit developers could create a group and exchange ads with each other that will be displayed in their games at whatever price you set.

AGK's implementation of InnerActive is broken because they updated the API and AppGameKit hasn't followed suit yet. AGK's implementation of AdMob is not the best and very out of date as well. You could probably update AdMob in AppGameKit, but I felt it was more worth to do Chartboost.

I will release the mods for Android and iOS in the next week or so.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
TGC need to take a look at the inneractive & admob implementations, update them or remove them, and add new add networks

with the free casual games most users are doing, ads are very important
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2014 23:53 Edited at: 21st Apr 2014 23:56
Paul made it pretty clear that there's no chance of this happening in the near future. At least until v2 is all done and debugged.
After that point Rick and Paul may be contacting my rep at Chartboost and integrating it. It's really not hard to switch it out once you get a handle on android java and the alimighty runnable class.
I also plan to update the FB SDK too. That's next on our list. I'd be focusing on login, posting (with proper permissions). Then later friends lists and images (FB now uses their own UI for this which is nice because then we don't have to design a scrolling ui for it).

Basically it seams that AppGameKit will not update any of the SDKs unless broken. Unfortunately, this means to me that AGK's SDK implementations will be archaic by the end of the year. So I hope to provide a way for devs to be able to compare the AppGameKit java setup and make their own decisions on SDK integration/update. Hopefully, I'll also be able to restructure some of AGK's java so that it is much easier to swap out the SDKs too.

EDIT: Back on topic - @east
I do think that scissors and virtual resolution have unintended consequences on the ads. When I was using AdMob I had a percentage-base coordinate system and all of the positioning was perfect. This is the third time in the past few months that I've heard of complaints with ad size and positioning. Each time has been with the virtual resolution system.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Naphier, have you implemented ChartBoost in any released apps yet? Curious to learn what your average eCPM / clickrate with it is. TGC will have to do a better job at keeping third party SDKs updated for Tier 1 users, as the key selling point of AppGameKit is its ease of use but having to manually alter templates for each platform to update the obsolete SDKs constantly becomes a drag.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2014 04:24
My next game, Shape Time, should go live on Google Play this weekend. Soon after I will also update Wordspionage. Then I should have some stats for you. I can tell you that the ads look great and I frequently see ads from games like Clash of Clans. CoC, Temple Run, and some other big names use Chartboost.
From what I read you should expect about $4 on average for eCPM with large fluctuation. AdMob interstitial pays about $1.50 on average. Chartboost also has payouts for installs. If admob is doing that then they bury the data. Chartboost is also ramping up for incentivized video ads. Another bonus is you can put your own frames on ads to make the look more like your game. Temple Run does a nice job with this.

I'm pretty excited to use it and now that I understand AGK's Android setup I can do other SDKs like iAd and RevMob. I am planning a variant to Shape Time which would be a great test for using an alternate SDK.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
-1 for not updating 3rd party sdks
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 08:21:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 08:21:45